• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supermodel (Sega Model 3 Arcade Emulator) Now features Sound!

GaussTek

A new version (0.2a) came out yesterday:
http://www.supermodel3.com/Download.html

Supermodel Version 0.2a is out! You can grab it from the Download page. The big new features are:

Audio, both SCSP sound and MPEG board music
New input system supporting any combination of keyboards, mice, and game controllers
Force feedback for a few games (requires new drive board ROMs that first appear in MAME 0.143u6)

For those wondering what the hell is this, just go to the emulator's about page:
http://www.supermodel3.com/About.html

And for instructions on how to get it running, go to (of course THERE ISN'T ROM linking):
http://www.supermodel3.com/Help.html

The emu doesn't have a GUI (dunno if there's any available), so you'll have to mess with the cmd (command prompt) for Windows. Alternatively, you can create .BAT files in order to make things easier.

ScreenShot11.jpg

For compatibility, also check the About page. Seems a few other games are playable (like The Lost World). Shame The Ocean Hunter isn't, my fav Model 3 game lol.

KnD87.jpg

The Lost World gameplay video using a WIP of version 0.2 (with sound):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Mz_fZORiI

Daytona USA 2 (looks a bit too fast lol):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuowfB1Gm_Q

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dOu5KGcetQ

Anyway, hope some other gaffers can test this on their higher end machines.

Dachande

Sweeeeet. I wish I had a force feedback wheel as good as a properly calibrated one on the Daytona 2 cab itself. That thing could tear the limbs off a man.

Vandiger

So it does support FF wheels. I'll have to check this out, thanks for the update. Gonna reminisce on golden age sega racers (Model1/2/3)

GaussTek

Lesiroth said:
Oh man, I loved The Lost World. How would the lightgun work though? Wiimote?

Using the mouse.

I guess you could get a Wiimote working as a mouse, but I don't know how good would that work heh

Medalion

Banned
So this is sorta like another dedicated emulator for those Sega arcade machines unlike MAME which was more for general arcade machines.

I may give it a spin, though I didn't care for the Star Wars Trilogy one seemed to be missing the glowing of the Lightsabers in the intro

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
OMG Fighting Vipers 2 must be one of my favourite games ever, the memories!!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh... Nice but it's not like most of GAF can acquire arcade game roms (?) legally... And if they can they probably can stick to the original arcade machines instead...

Alextended said:
Eh... Nice but it's not like most of GAF can acquire arcade game roms (?) legally... And if they can they probably can stick to the original arcade machines instead...
I have a dead daytona board. If i emulate it, am i steeling?

Kuran

Banned
Works great, controls are veeeery sensitive with the Xbox joypad though. (When emulating the steering wheel)

xemumanic

I should have posted this yesterday, but I figured isamu would have. This thread doesn't really start until he puts in his two cents. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
xemumanic said:
I should have posted this yesterday, but I figured isamu would have. This thread doesn't really start until he puts in his two cents. :)

Haha, thanks xemumaniac. Yeah, I've posting at MAMEWorld and at Bart's new forum. Figured you all would be over there already anyway lol. If you haven't already, sign up at his forums and let's all discuss the emu over there. I've been testing it out and it's phenomenal. Took forever to get ffb working properly for some reason LOL :p

Xenu what kind of wheel you got dude?

aaaaaAAWWWW MMAAAHH GOOODNESSSS. THIS IS RIDUULOUS!! /booker T

can't wait to try this, and then be ultimately disappointed as my phenom II 720 splutters.. :(

Edit - yep, Scud race at 20fps in slow motion. Awesome. Fuck my life

xemumanic

isamu said:
Haha, thanks xemumaniac. Yeah, I've posting at MAMEWorld and at Bart's new forum. Figured you all would be over there already anyway lol. If you haven't already, sign up at his forums and let's all discuss the emu over there. I've been testing it out and it's phenomenal. Took forever to get ffb working properly for some reason LOL :p

Xenu what kind of wheel you got dude?

Sadly, just the 360 wheel. and yeah, I'll be posting there soonish.

Tain

I was flipping out at this yesterday. God, Spikeout. 1080p, perfectly synced Spikeout. Why can't the Model 2 emulator offer such good timing?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Any configuration tips? I've been messing with the ppc frequency option to no avail so far and am wondering if my laptop is beefy enough to handle this. It's not exactly old.

Core i7-2630QM, 2GHz
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (128-bit), Quad Core 1GB Graphics
Win7 64-bit

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
There is some nasty slowdown on the advance and expert courses in Scud Race. Anyone else getting it? D2 on the other hand is magnificent. Can't come to grips with the car though, I suck! Too much F1 and too much Dirt 3 lol.

Eiji

isamu said:
There is some nasty slowdown on the advance and expert courses in Scud Race. Anyone else getting it? D2 on the other hand is magnificent. Can't come to grips with the car though, I suck! Too much F1 and too much Dirt 3 lol.

I'm getting the same slowdowns in Spikeout and Spikeout Final Edition. Seems the slowdown happens when new enemies appear and then the slowdown disappears until the next set of enemies appear on the map.

Kuran

Banned
A Mac OSX build has been posted on the website, no GUI yet. Although just use './supermodel -game.zip' to launch it once in the directory.

Constant 60fps with Scud Race on my Macbook Pro, pretty nice!

Buzzati

Banned
Remember, you can't legally download these roms unless you have the original arcade cabinet. This is Neogaf. I will tell the fucking police.

Cipherr

This really takes me back and makes me miss arcades, and having the free time to visit them. VF3 was the most amazing thing to me the first time I saw it. Visually it was just amazing.

GaussTek

Buzzati said:
Remember, you can't legally download these roms unless you have the original arcade cabinet. This is Neogaf. I will tell the fucking police.

This is like the MAME Talk all over again (lol seriously, they raise some interesting points in there).

Anyway, I guess that if we stick to the GAF ToS, there shouldn't be any problem.

ToD_

Can't wait to give this a whirl. Model 3 was amazing for its time. Virtua Fighter 3 and Scud Race blew my mind back then. I don't recall seeing a jump in 3D graphics as large as that since.

Reversed

The Ocean Hunter is an awesome game. It hurts me that it cannot be played yet. :-(

Edit: Well, at least SWT works... and Virtual On, too. :)

isamu

Discovered that the lag I was getting was due to the ffb code. Nik is gonna look into though.

Barts forum is BLISTERING with new members lol

Trojan X

Banned
Been playing it since launch day. Still going insane over SCUD RACE. Playing all games at 1920x1080p, 60fps, full sound exploding via my subwoofer and so on. SCUD RACE is INSANE !

Top Bottom