• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supporting Characters who outshine the Main Character.

Ozzie666

I'm a big fan of Ardbert and Emet Selch in FFXIV, these two pretty much steal the show from my character! Every dam time. End Walker for Emet is glorious.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
re8-resident-evil-village.gif

Way better than Mother Miranda and every other fucker on that game. Sadly she was a marketing machine instead of the real deal.

Outlier

Balthier was supposed to be the main character of the game. However Kitase (who I dislike game development-wise) insisted that Matsuno and Ito add Vaan and Penelo because he thought that an "old" character like Balthier wouldn't resonate with Japanese gamers. This is why those two useless characters were added; i mean think about it, those two not being in the game doesn't really change all that much for the story, it always felt like they were just along for the ride despite pretending to be the leads.
It doesn't just feel like they are along for the ride. Vaan literally expressed that was pretty much what he was doing and just used the sky pirate dream as an excuse.

That game had the everything it needed to be so much better, than it was. :messenger_pensive:

Yoboman

Balthier was supposed to be the main character of the game. However Kitase (who I dislike game development-wise) insisted that Matsuno and Ito add Vaan and Penelo because he thought that an "old" character like Balthier wouldn't resonate with Japanese gamers. This is why those two useless characters were added; i mean think about it, those two not being in the game doesn't really change all that much for the story, it always felt like they were just along for the ride despite pretending to be the leads.
Im 99% sure is was Basch who was meant to be the main character not Balthier

I would give anything for the Matsuno cut of FFXII

Impotaku

Sylvando in dragon quest 11 he outshone everyone, always fun to be around him when he was in cutscenes & in battle.

Javthusiast

Banned
re8-resident-evil-village.gif

Way better than Mother Miranda and every other fucker on that game. Sadly she was a marketing machine instead of the real deal.
They didn't know what they had on their hands. Once she blew the fuck up all they could use her was for marketing.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Noel was much more compelling than Serah to me, who's entire character arc was missing her sister. On that same line of thought, Lightning's segments at the beginning and end were more compelling just because of how the plot Obi-Wan'd her.

Kingdom Hearts I & II
Riku. The most interesting part of Sora's character (why he has the keyblade) is only relevant because of the dark horse Riku, who has all the cool abilities, weapons, and an actual character arc that remains consistent through the entire series.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Act II
Raiden breakdancing with Gekko and having a cyborg ninja anime sword fight with a bisexual Romanian immortal vampire in a South American market full of mooing mechs? I love Snake's arc in this game, but come the fuck on. Raiden wins here. All other acts, where he's either a couch decoration or a double amputee, Snake wins, though.

Metal Gear Solid V
Big Boss. Once you actually finish the game and find out the twist, it all feels sort of hollow, and the intrigue for what the fuck Big Boss was doing and how he really holds all the cards goes up.

The Last of Us, Part II
Joel. When a character who barely appears has a more compelling arc than your two main characters, you may to fix some Gross plot negligence. Fuck golf.

Silent Hill 2
Pyramid Head definitely won the popularity award over James. It's one of the few examples I can think of where a VERY renowned piece of media has a more recognizable villain than a protagonist. Darth Vader and maybe Revolver Ocelot and Sephiroth is all that's leaping at me.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Wasn't it Basch instead of Balthier? Batch has more ties to the royal family, and more of a relation with Archades because of Gabranth. And also, Balthier is only 21, iirc.

Boss Mog

Wasn't it Basch instead of Balthier? Batch has more ties to the royal family, and more of a relation with Archades because of Gabranth. And also, Balthier is only 21, iirc.
Yeah you're right, it was Basch, though he was originally different and some traits from the original Basch ended up going to Balthier while others went to the Basch we got.

Ebidramon

Banned
The Boss from Metal Gear series.

Before MGS3 happened, Big Boss was kind of legendary figure - it seems like Kojima thought that the only worthy person of being his mentor should only be a woman soldier Jesus.

The way she was written, it was like she was a better person than the entire human race put together.

And she was a supporting character.

Tiamat2san

Playing Y0 first made it quite disappointing of what a small role he plays in the rest of the series.
Yeah , I was so happy to play him in Zero.
It fleshed the character soo much.

He should have a dedicated game.

I know Kiryu chan is the main character but still.

gundalf

Yeah , I was so happy to play him in Zero.
It fleshed the character soo much.

He should have a dedicated game.

I know Kiryu chan is the main character but still.

I actually find Kiryu kind of bland, but to be fair, that was likely by design to let players immerse themselves into the world - which then was corrected with Y0 and onward into Judgement and Y7.

Top Bottom