• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supposed PS5 specs from random Beyond3D member (Silly but this is also how the 1st Wii U specs was leaked)

TLZ

Banned
Sounds very beefy :)

If these specs are nearly true, we can exspect an even more powerful Xbox Two. There is zero chance Microsoft ever launch a weaker console than Sony’s.
They'll surely do their best to squeeze out that 0.1tf extra to call it the most powerful console in existence.

bitbydeath

PS5 will obviously be a beast. People often forget that Sony is big in VR and you will need a powerful rig to reach what I’d imagine their minimum specs to be native 4K, 120fps. (At absolute minimum)

They’re already doing 1080p and 90fps native on PS4 (and 120fps interpolated) so the above specs is the least powerful they can go on next-gen hardware.

Maybe they could even interpolate 120fps to reach 240fps.

Von Hugh

Well, keep us posted when he does. Till then this is pretty worthless. If he could post proof, he should have started with that.

One thing in common with these 'leakers' (such as OsirisBlack OsirisBlack here on NeoGAF): It takes forever for them to come back and post proof, forever as in that they never do it.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Not likely to be used for a launch console, but is there's no set rules in place either that it can't.
Man it would be bloody awesome to have cutting edge tech on that shiny new box, bloody expensive also but nothing PS+/Live won't make back within some months :p
Anyway it's on track, based TSMC as per usual - https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190212PD200.html
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is expected to kick off volume production of chips built using an enhanced 7nm with EUV node at the end of March, according to industry sources.

Oh shit I read March 2020, but it's actually next month...
EDIT 2: I didn't realize that Samsung is ready and have customers for 2020...https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-starts-production-of-euv-based-7nm-lpp-process
It would be funny if Samsung gave Sony a nice combination package and they are the customer for March 2020, GDDR6 + 7nm process fabrication.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Because what he said doesn't make sense to me, so I wanted them to explain in as much or less detail as possible why they said that. I have no clue why this hypothetical system would be unbalanced.
20 GB of GDDR6 is not a strange number to you?

Why would 8 or 12GB be more believable than 20 or 24GB? in 2020? you really think Sony would release a PS5 6 - 7 years after the PS4 with the same amount of RAM?
I reckon 16 GB is a good base minimum. I also think (Watch out, unverified claim here!) that the OS will be BSD-based again, similar to PS3 and PS4. The OS claim is a reasonable one to make since it has a historic background. The RAM claim is simply put as a natural evolution. If a mid-gen refresh console has 12 GB (Xbox One X), it makes little sense that a next-gen console won't have more than that.

You would have to be banned on GAF and make a favorable hardware specs post for PS5 so that the famous leaker and known tech authority onQ approves, though...
I went a little deeper and actually checked out onQ123's claim earlier in this, you know, the one where he says:

''I guess they forgot that I'm the one who brought the PS4 & Wii U specs here''

Outside of the arrogance, I went through the link in that posted. What's interesting for me is that he didn't bring anything, he simply linked to a site, namely a Dutch site called PSX-Sense. Ofcourse, just like this thread, there is no verification whatsoever. The real interesting bit is in what it claims:
''If something is a goal for me was that it was getting hold of a photograph of the PlayStation 4 itself, but this is sadly failed. The PlayStation 4 is still only on paper but a console for developers and only a select few people know how the device actually really look like. Sony also find it not necessary to the looks of the PS4 to share with developers, because here they simply have nothing. Of course, Sony then also a good point, but this is obviously bad for us.

What I have got is a very comprehensive document on the specifications of the PlayStation 4. Thus, the PlayStation 4 AMD Fusion APU get with the CPU and GPU sit together on the same chip. The code name for this chip is 'Liverpool' According developers would chip in "real talk" over 10x longer than that of the PS3 can. It would be a quad-core AMD x86 CPU running at 3.2GHz which contain the code name 'Steamroller' know. The GPU is an ATI r10xx at 800MHz with 1843 GFLOPS, this is code-named "Tahiti." This chip is also include on AMD Radeon HD 7970, both chips (CPU and GPU) are 28nm processors. ''
Lets address the things it claims and how much it held true to reality, no? Ofcourse, specs will change over time since the PS4 had a last minute drop-out to 8 GB GDDR5. But since OP brings this as ''Look i brought the PS4 specs here, i guess they forgot'' whilst all he did was share a link, there was nothing from his own doing, it is thus interesting what bits held true and which did not, based on the translation. Since its in my native language i also point out what the text actually says.
  • ''The codename for this chip is Liverpool'' - This was true.
  • ''According developers would chip in "real talk" over 10x longer than that of the PS3 can.'' - I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, must be a translator issue.
  • ''It would be a quad-core AMD x86 CPU running at 3.2GHz'' - This is patiently false. In fact, similar things are now claimed for the PS5.
  • ''which contain the code name 'Steamroller''' - Steamroller was the name of a CPU architecture, and it was used in the Kaveri APU's. However, as we all know PS4/XBO shipped with Jaguar cores, a microarch seperate from Steamroller and the successor to Bobcat. Thus this claim proved to be not true.
  • ''The GPU is an ATI r10xx at 800MHz with 1843 GFLOPS'' - It was not called an ATI obviously, but the clockspeed and the GLOPS were true.
  • ''this is code-named "Tahiti."'' - This isn't true. The AMD HD 7900 series was codenamed this, but the PS4 GPU, which is more akin to a hypothetical HD 7860, is not called that way. Techpowerup calls it Liverpool, and has in the notes that the GPU was called Codename: Starsha (Thebe-J).
  • ''This chip is also include on AMD Radeon HD 7970'' - Ehm, two GPU's? Obviously this is a mixup and thus untrue, but i reckon stuff like this contributed to the whole secret sauce narrative that both consoles had.
  • ''both chips (CPU and GPU) are 28nm processors.'' - This was true. PS4 APU was manufacturered in 28nm.
So the results? (Based on the translation)
  • 3 claims were true (Namely: Codename of chip, preliminary GPU spec, and manufacturing process),
  • 4 claims were false (Namely: preliminary CPU spec, CPU architecture used, GPU codename and second GPU)
  • 1 claim is unverified (Namely: PS4 can do 10x longer than PS3 can, which in the native text is that the PS4 can do 10x more than the PS3.
Based on this we can conclude, that the majority of onQ123's ''I brought the specs'' in regards to PS4 is not true. And i am not even touching on the Espresso side of things since i find the argument there (That historically B3D hosted another claim and it proved to be true in hindsight, thus this claim also has merit) far too weak to use as a base.

Furthermore, BGassasins claim at the time and which is linked in the OP was that ''Everything is correct. They just used the wrong name for the GPU. It's comparable to an underclocked Pitcairn.'' which, in hindsight, is simply not true. The Pitcairn core was more related to the Xbox One, but the claim that everything is correct in that links is patiently false.

Now, what the translation does not mention:
  • The guy posting this is Roy Westra. Is this a credible source yes/no?
  • The site also prides itsself on its claims that were proven true, such as If this was the case, why is PSX-Sense not considered the pinnacle of credibility?
  • The translator issue mentioned earlier is a geniune issue. In the native language, Roy is saying that the PS4 can do 10x more things than PS3 can.
  • Roy also claimed back then that the Wii U would feature 1.5 GB of memory. The Wii U shipped with 2 GB DDR3, with 1 GB reserved for the OS.
  • Roy claims the PS4 will have 2 GB unified memory, with a note that it could be 4 GB.
  • There are two big obmissions, namely a disclaimer and a conclusion.
The disclaimer states (native translated, emphasis mine): ''I would like to point out that we have quite a big number of sources and we aren't just pulling information out of our own ass to score visitors. In this article and the information that we share with you has costed us months of work and there were a huge numbers of conversations with our sources on this prior to this. The information we now have accumulated in total is not from just a single person, but comes from tens and tens of people. The information we thus have is confirmed by multiple people, but that does not mean all of this is final. We are talking about specifications and information of a prototype, a lot can thus change.''

This disclaimer was not in the original OP, nor in onQ123's claim as per the post above.

The (Preliminary) conclusion states (native translated, emphasis mine): ''Everything that you have read here above is a collection of information that we have accquired in the span of a couple of months. Some of this information for example comes from december 2011 whilst other things are really recent. We want to emphatize that we really aren't pulling information out of our own ass and we have checked everything as much as possible. We are in that regard just a small Dutch website but that does not mean that you need to keep this kind of information go to waste.''

Another disclaimer and again nothing in the original OP nor in onQ123's claim.
Questions that arise:
  • Its not strange that the site makes yet another emphasis that they didn't pull it out of their ass? That seems suspect.
  • Exaggeration that they knew this from tens and tens of people is not odd?
  • They are a small Dutch site as they say themselves. So why would the information given be true?
All in all these things make the source rather suspect. After all, if all of this was true (which it is not) the exaggeration, the double disclaimer that they honestly, really aren't pulling this information out of their own ass is strange. Some bits are true, but the majority was not, and it puts onQ123's post in a whole different light.

Conclusion:
These leaks and onQ123's claim that he brought the specs are similar to a guy i used to know that would make all kinds of claims regarding the Wii U and the Switch. Its essentially throwing stuff into the trees and hoping something sticks.

Thus, we can reasonably argue that onQ123 does not come up with his own claims, but simply links to others, in this case someone who also claims he had a lot of things right. The majority of the PS4 claims is untrue, and the Wii U claim... well read below.

Thus we can't establish that OP has a good history of verifiable and accurate leaks, as onQ123 is essentially just a re-poster with the nasty side-effect of claiming bragging rights.

I am sure i will be called a glitch again, but i am just investigating his claim, nothing more.

The Wii U claim:
But we aren't done yet. After all onQ123 also claimed he brought the Wii U specs within that same post. Now, if it was mentioned in a seperate post in the thread, then you have to forgive me for not looking at it (As i am sure onQ123 would to prove his worth). If it is not in the OP, then its onQ123's problem that it is not there.

Fact is the entire link, either translated or native, makes zero mention of Wii U specs. There is literally one reference to be found there in the PSX-Sense link, and it says (Native translation): ''In terms of memory a lot is still unclear with the PS4, the initial plan from Sony was to use 2 GB unified memory in the machine. This is however still a point of contention and developers are asking if this can be raised to 4 GB. These options are still looked into by Sony. By comparison, the Wii U would have 1.5 GB memory.''

So no, there is nothing that suggests that OP brought the Wii U specs if there is only a single reference about RAM memory, and without anything to back this up.

So TLDR:
onQ123's claim that he brought the PS4 and Wii U specs is purely misleading in terms of Wii U, and in terms of PS4 the majority of the claims listed in the translated link was untrue. Therefore, his claim that he brought the PS4/Wii U specs is simply pure arrogance, with the majority of the claims being false.

Therefore, there is little reason to trust the OP in this regard, where he just links to a B3D post from the past and claims that because this information was proven true in the past, this might be true also, a terrible basis for any speculation. The only interesting bit is if Shamepain can prove his word. Sadly the thing with these leakers is that the time to prove versus the time to claim is significantly longer and for usually no good reason.

If he cannot or simply keeps silence at B3D, then what little merit this thread has will also be dissipated.

wow hope this is true, would be a beast of a machine.
There is nothing to verify it with until Shamepain confirms his claim like he said he would. Furthermore as the above shows is that onQ123's claims are subject to criticism.

Last edited:

scalman

I miss good old days when sony consoles had custom made chips not taken from pc. Take ps1 cpu then ps2 again wow, ps3 was just minblowing APU there. And now all simple and nothing is special
You cant compare console specs to pc still as they dont need crappt os lile pc uses.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
20 GB of GDDR6 is not a strange number to you?

I reckon 16 GB is a good base minimum. I also think (Watch out, unverified claim here!) that the OS will be BSD-based again, similar to PS3 and PS4. The OS claim is a reasonable one to make since it has a historic background. The RAM claim is simply put as a natural evolution. If a mid-gen refresh console has 12 GB (Xbox One X), it makes little sense that a next-gen console won't have more than that.

I went a little deeper and actually checked out onQ123's claim earlier in this, you know, the one where he says:

''I guess they forgot that I'm the one who brought the PS4 & Wii U specs here''

Outside of the arrogance, I went through the link in that posted. What's interesting for me is that he didn't bring anything, he simply linked to a site, namely a Dutch site called PSX-Sense. Ofcourse, just like this thread, there is no verification whatsoever. The real interesting bit is in what it claims:
''If something is a goal for me was that it was getting hold of a photograph of the PlayStation 4 itself, but this is sadly failed. The PlayStation 4 is still only on paper but a console for developers and only a select few people know how the device actually really look like. Sony also find it not necessary to the looks of the PS4 to share with developers, because here they simply have nothing. Of course, Sony then also a good point, but this is obviously bad for us.

What I have got is a very comprehensive document on the specifications of the PlayStation 4. Thus, the PlayStation 4 AMD Fusion APU get with the CPU and GPU sit together on the same chip. The code name for this chip is 'Liverpool' According developers would chip in "real talk" over 10x longer than that of the PS3 can. It would be a quad-core AMD x86 CPU running at 3.2GHz which contain the code name 'Steamroller' know. The GPU is an ATI r10xx at 800MHz with 1843 GFLOPS, this is code-named "Tahiti." This chip is also include on AMD Radeon HD 7970, both chips (CPU and GPU) are 28nm processors. ''
Lets address the things it claims and how much it held true to reality, no? Ofcourse, specs will change over time since the PS4 had a last minute drop-out to 8 GB GDDR5. But since OP brings this as ''Look i brought the PS4 specs here, i guess they forgot'' whilst all he did was share a link, there was nothing from his own doing, it is thus interesting what bits held true and which did not, based on the translation. Since its in my native language i also point out what the text actually says.
  • ''The codename for this chip is Liverpool'' - This was true.
  • ''According developers would chip in "real talk" over 10x longer than that of the PS3 can.'' - I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, must be a translator issue.
  • ''It would be a quad-core AMD x86 CPU running at 3.2GHz'' - This is patiently false. In fact, similar things are now claimed for the PS5.
  • ''which contain the code name 'Steamroller''' - Steamroller was the name of a CPU architecture, and it was used in the Kaveri APU's. However, as we all know PS4/XBO shipped with Jaguar cores, a microarch seperate from Steamroller and the successor to Bobcat. Thus this claim proved to be not true.
  • ''The GPU is an ATI r10xx at 800MHz with 1843 GFLOPS'' - It was not called an ATI obviously, but the clockspeed and the GLOPS were true.
  • ''this is code-named "Tahiti."'' - This isn't true. The AMD HD 7900 series was codenamed this, but the PS4 GPU, which is more akin to a hypothetical HD 7860, is not called that way. Techpowerup calls it Liverpool, and has in the notes that the GPU was called Codename: Starsha (Thebe-J).
  • ''This chip is also include on AMD Radeon HD 7970'' - Ehm, two GPU's? Obviously this is a mixup and thus untrue, but i reckon stuff like this contributed to the whole secret sauce narrative that both consoles had.
  • ''both chips (CPU and GPU) are 28nm processors.'' - This was true. PS4 APU was manufacturered in 28nm.
  • 3 claims were true (Namely: Codename of chip, preliminary GPU spec, and manufacturing process),
  • 4 claims were false (Namely: preliminary CPU spec, CPU architecture used, GPU codename and second GPU)
  • 1 claim is unverified (Namely: PS4 can do 10x longer than PS3 can, which in the native text is that the PS4 can do 10x more than the PS3.
Based on this we can conclude, that the majority of onQ123's ''I brought the specs'' in regards to PS4 is not true. And i am not even touching on the Espresso side of things since i find the argument there (That historically B3D hosted another claim and it proved to be true in hindsight, thus this claim also has merit) far too weak to use as a base.

Furthermore, BGassasins claim at the time and which is linked in the OP was that ''Everything is correct. They just used the wrong name for the GPU. It's comparable to an underclocked Pitcairn.'' which, in hindsight, is simply not true. The Pitcairn core was more related to the Xbox One, but the claim that everything is correct in that links is patiently false.

Now, what the translation does not mention:
  • The guy posting this is Roy Westra. Is this a credible source yes/no?
  • The site also prides itsself on its claims that were proven true, such as If this was the case, why is PSX-Sense not considered the pinnacle of credibility?
  • The translator issue mentioned earlier is a geniune issue. In the native language, Roy is saying that the PS4 can do 10x more things than PS3 can.
  • Roy also claimed back then that the Wii U would feature 1.5 GB of memory. The Wii U shipped with 2 GB DDR3, with 1 GB reserved for the OS.
  • Roy claims the PS4 will have 2 GB unified memory, with a note that it could be 4 GB.
  • There are two big obmissions, namely a disclaimer and a conclusion.

The disclaimer states (native translated, emphasis mine): ''I would like to point out that we have quite a big number of sources and we aren't just pulling information out of our own ass to score visitors. In this article and the information that we share with you has costed us months of work and there were a huge numbers of conversations with our sources on this prior to this. The information we now have accumulated in total is not from just a single person, but comes from tens and tens of people. The information we thus have is confirmed by multiple people, but that does not mean all of this is final. We are talking about specifications and information of a prototype, a lot can thus change.''

This disclaimer was not in the original OP, nor in onQ123's claim as per the post above.

The (Preliminary) conclusion states (native translated, emphasis mine): ''Everything that you have read here above is a collection of information that we have accquired in the span of a couple of months. Some of this information for example comes from december 2011 whilst other things are really recent. We want to emphatize that we really aren't pulling information out of our own ass and we have checked everything as much as possible. We are in that regard just a small Dutch website but that does not mean that you need to keep this kind of information go to waste.''

Another disclaimer and again nothing in the original OP nor in onQ123's claim.
Questions that arise:
  • Its not strange that the site makes yet another emphasis that they didn't pull it out of their ass? That seems suspect.
  • Exaggeration that they knew this from tens and tens of people is not odd?
  • They are a small Dutch site as they say themselves. So why would the information given be true?
All in all these things make the source rather suspect. After all, if all of this was true (which it is not) the exaggeration, the double disclaimer that they honestly, really aren't pulling this information out of their own ass is strange. Some bits are true, but the majority was not, and it puts onQ123's post in a whole different light.

Conclusion:
These leaks and onQ123's claim that he brought the specs are similar to a guy i used to know that would make all kinds of claims regarding the Wii U and the Switch. Its essentially throwing stuff into the trees and hoping something sticks.

Thus, we can reasonably argue that onQ123 does not come up with his own claims, but simply links to others, in this case someone who also claims he had a lot of things right. The majority of the PS4 claims is untrue, and the Wii U claim... well read below.

Thus we can't establish that OP has a good history of verifiable and accurate leaks, as onQ123 is essentially just a re-poster with the nasty side-effect of claiming bragging rights.

I am sure i will be called a glitch again, but i am just investigating his claim, nothing more.

The Wii U claim:
But we aren't done yet. After all onQ123 also claimed he brought the Wii U specs within that same post. Now, if it was mentioned in a seperate post in the thread, then you have to forgive me for not looking at it (As i am sure onQ123 would to prove his worth). If it is not in the OP, then its onQ123's problem that it is not there.

Fact is the entire link, either translated or native, makes zero mention of Wii U specs. There is literally one reference to be found there in the PSX-Sense link, and it says (Native translation): ''In terms of memory a lot is still unclear with the PS4, the initial plan from Sony was to use 2 GB unified memory in the machine. This is however still a point of contention and developers are asking if this can be raised to 4 GB. These options are still looked into by Sony. By comparison, the Wii U would have 1.5 GB memory.''

So no, there is nothing that suggests that OP brought the Wii U specs if there is only a single reference about RAM memory, and without anything to back this up.

So TLDR:
onQ123's claim that he brought the PS4 and Wii U specs is purely misleading in terms of Wii U, and in terms of PS4 the majority of the claims listed in the translated link was untrue. Therefore, his claim that he brought the PS4/Wii U specs is simply pure arrogance, with the majority of the claims being false.

Therefore, there is little reason to trust the OP in this regard, where he just links to a B3D post from the past and claims that because this information was proven true in the past, this might be true also, a terrible basis for any speculation. The only interesting bit is if Shamepain can prove his word. Sadly the thing with these leakers is that the time to prove versus the time to claim is significantly longer and for usually no good reason.

If he cannot or simply keeps silence at B3D, then what little merit this thread has will also be dissipated.

There is nothing to verify it with until Shamepain confirms his claim like he said he would. Furthermore as the above shows is that onQ123's claims are subject to criticism.
Aren't you better off directing your efforts and energy towards something more meaningful?

Redneckerz

Aren't you better off directing your efforts and energy towards something more meaningful?
Every once in a while i do a post like this and then something more meaningful after :) Thanks for the dismissal, by the way!

onQ123

He is obsessed with me & wasting his time typing because I'm never going to respond to him because I can see that he has a real problem .

Redneckerz

He is obsessed with me & wasting his time typing because I'm never going to respond to him
And yet this is what the 2nd, 3rd time that you comment on me indirectly. I get it, you don't like it when people challenge your arrogance or call out the merit of your topic.

But to put such users on ignore yet then casually talk about them indirectly is reaching cowardice.

because I can see that he has a real problem .
Making baseless assumptions again. Try addressing the criticism, try articulating actual points instead of low quality claims or stop making polarizing threads that suit your ill-logical narrative.

onQ123

Like I said I can see that there is a problem & stopped even responding over a month ago & the fact the person is still going over a month without one response from me only proves that he has a problem & not worth responding to.

Last edited:

c0de

In a thread about a baseless rumor that is arguably useful in the first place? Eh... I don't know. It just shows how much onQ thinks he'd be an expert, insider or whatever he thinks he is while he is nothing of all that at all.

JordanN

Banned
I miss good old days when sony consoles had custom made chips not taken from pc. Take ps1 cpu then ps2 again wow, ps3 was just minblowing APU there. And now all simple and nothing is special
You cant compare console specs to pc still as they dont need crappt os lile pc uses.
Wait what? That's a myth.
When PS4 launched with its AMD 7850-esque GPU, there were already PC rigs running the same games at double the resoluton and frame rate.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if these technically impressive specifications are really going to make a significant difference in next generation visuals. I just do not see this as being a generational leap like PS2 to PS3 with the mid generation upgrades available. If the X and Pro never came out, I would have more confidence, but we are already playing native and checkerboard 4k games with solid frame rates to my knowledge. Will hitting 4k 60fps in some games with slightly better graphics really be all that impressive for the presumably high price?

onQ123

I’m not sure if these technically impressive specifications are really going to make a significant difference in next generation visuals. I just do not see this as being a generational leap like PS2 to PS3 with the mid generation upgrades available. If the X and Pro never came out, I would have more confidence, but we are already playing native and checkerboard 4k games with solid frame rates to my knowledge. Will hitting 4k 60fps in some games with slightly better graphics really be all that impressive for the presumably high price?

The generational difference will come from the devs being free from the Xbox One & PS4 limitations when making a game. Even though PS4 Pro & Xbox One X was released with more powerful hardware we still basically got Xbox One & PS4 visuals at higher resolutions.

Redneckerz

User reply banned from thread.
Disengage, please, Redneckerz Redneckerz . User in question is not beholden to respond to your call-outs and this is getting inappropriate. The information was presented reasonably as a rumor. You could have fact checked without the hostile personal grandstanding.
With nothing of merit but hey atleast he made it clear in the title. Which i didn't address anyway for obvious reasons.

My call out was around a different claim and proved it as such. People can read that and see where one of the claims leads to.

My point in general is that rumors need a little more than just a random guy making a random claim on a site simply because said site hosted a claim in the past that proved to be accurate, by someone completely else.

But ill disengage on that part and respond more civil on that note.

They were mid-gen refreshes and it was pretty clear up front that they would only offer uprezzed PS4/XBO titles. Else they wouldn't be mid-gen refreshes.

So yeah, next-gen won't have to bother with that, thats obvious.

We are hitting a set limit though in which visuals are more and more leaning towards good enough and emphasis should be on sectors that have seen less development since. Like physics, animation, and AI.

So, where's that mod verification?

Edit:

Just wait till they reveal this piece of hardware, Sony did some crazy job with customizations and secret sauces. No one will believe what they're gonna showcase (graphically). HZD2

Fuc*

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
200% increase in RAM would still be the smallest generational increase AFAIK.

It's not just a pool increase that's important, the ram tech is getting overhauled and then there's the bandwidth. How would it sound like if I said that smallest generation leap was when we went from 32-Bit to 32-Bit, in fact that looks like no change at all smh.

Last edited:
2TB HDD already makes this more credible than any specs with SSDs.
2 TB HDD isn't drastically cheaper than a 1 TB SSD.

NAND prices are expected to drop to $0.09 per GB this year (that's $90 for 1 TB). Possibly even more in 2020... definitely worth it for blazing fast loading times!

Do you think that removing SMT support from a core is first cheap + good use of limited R&D and allow much higher clocks? Just turning it off means you lower the effective utilisation of each core in many workloads... and without removing the HW and reoptomising for it in a new layout that they would use nowhere else would buy them nothing. Beside pixel workload, ensuring the GPU never sits idle requires a fast CPU and to conserve power and allow to push clocks for the GPU higher requires the CPU to be able to “race to sleep” as fast and efficiently as possible. Boost clock up to 3.2 GHz and SMT achieve both goals.
Good points, but x86-64 CPUs already have lots of functionality that consoles never use.

For example, why do we need 16/32-bit binary compatibility? Doesn't that waste transistors that could be spent somewhere else?

Consoles definitely don't need that, their BC requirements are different compared to PCs.

Sounds very beefy :)

If these specs are nearly true, we can exspect an even more powerful Xbox Two. There is zero chance Microsoft ever launch a weaker console than Sony’s.
Maybe Sony will release a weaker box in 2019 and MS a much stronger one in 2020. Who knows?

Last edited:

truth411

If it has 880GB of bandwidth, that means it has a 512 bit bus and 14000mhz GDDR6 ram, slightly downclock to 13750mhz.
correct?

Boss Mog

2 TB HDD isn't drastically cheaper than a 1 TB SSD.

NAND prices are expect to drop to $0.09 per GB this year (that's $90 for 1 TB). Possibly even more in 2020... definitely worth it for blazing fast loading times!

Joke post? 1TB SSD costs 2 to 3 times more than a 2TB HDD. I'd rather have those costs be used to boost the APU or lower the price of the system rather than having my storage halved just to gain a few seconds of loading time when I boot up a game.

Games are now exceeding 100GB at times, 1TB just doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'd love to see this being true, but I think it's fake because the console release should be Q4 2020 and if they would have some announce something big closer at E3 they would do it there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Good points, but x86-64 CPUs already have lots of functionality that consoles never use.

For example, why do we need 16/32-bit binary compatibility? Doesn't that waste transistors that could be spent somewhere else?

I think that saving those transistors is a drop in the bucket with only 8 cores compared to the GPU side and I doubt those components are on the critical path and affect maximum clock rate and energy consumption: I would not be surprised if most of that is microcode and not even implemented in HW anymore (the beauty of “kind of still in some ways in for some things” CISC ;)).

Also, if it were a half an hour job and did not add extra steps in the chip verification maybe, else you just risk adding test cases you can live without to the text matrix IMHO. Not worth the benefits, I think AMD has already taken care of that for the mobile and desktop chips if it was easy enough to do without losing BC support.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

I was referring more to the fact you were saying there's currently almost no price difference between 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD.

In terms of percentages, sure, 1 TB costs twice the price of 2 TB HDD. That's drastic. In terms of actual money, the difference is mere 70 €.

With that being said, though, I don't think Sony will go with an SSD still. They could probably get RAM with that same price, and sure enough RAM is more important than storage space that the user can potentially upgrade by him/herself.

Shin

Banned
Von Hugh Von Hugh if they "skimp" on the storage of a potential high-end model in order to actually make it high-end I don't think many will complain with that choice as they are very likely to upgrade to a SSD/SSHD/2TB drive.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In terms of percentages, sure, 1 TB costs twice the price of 2 TB HDD. That's drastic. In terms of actual money, the difference is mere 70 €.

With that being said, though, I don't think Sony will go with an SSD still. They could probably get RAM with that same price, and sure enough RAM is more important than storage space that the user can potentially upgrade by him/herself.

As long as they spend the money to have a decent (better than needed for HDD) interface then yeah a fast HDD or better a hybrid HDD with say 16-32 GB of flash cache would work well and allow people with SSD’s to make good use of their purchase :).

Meowzers

I'd love to see this being true, but I think it's fake because the console release should be Q4 2020 and if they would have some announce something big closer at E3 they would do it there.

Everyone would say Q4 as it's a believable timeline. Why would someone that is starting a rumour, go with a timeline that's obviously sounding a bit farfetched and a bit unbelievable?

Shin

Banned
Taken from an interview with Business Insider (yeah that business Insider):
In bold what I find interesting, irrelevant to this topic though I suppose.

Smith: Do you mean local multiplayer, where two people can play in the same room next to each other, or online multiplayer games?

Layden: Couch co-op – I mean that’s a whole category I think the industry needs to look back at. We have that with sports titles, and some racing titles, but not with much else. And I think that speaks to the power of the internet on the one hand, but otherwise we might wanna revisit that to get more family engagement in the gaming experience.

But, no, I was referencing more with the things like “GTA 5 Online,” or you look at “Call of Duty,” or “Fortnite,” or any of those experiences. Worldwide Studios, like I say, we’ve been going really heavy into story-driven gaming. The power of the narrative. Big, spectacular experiences. But not a whole lot in the multiplayer side of things, I think. That’s an area where you will likely see us start to make more noise in the new term.

onQ123

Probably talking about being able to play games against people through social networks like facebook I seen the patent for that.

Last edited:
I was referring more to the fact you were saying there's currently almost no price difference between 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD.
Don't put words in my mouth.

I said "isn't drastically cheaper".

A 2TB HDD right now costs €80. So yeah, it's not drastically cheaper.

I'll gladly get half the capacity and make it the baseline for next-gen consoles.

Have you ever wondered why current-gen consoles do not benefit from SSDs?

Very interesting quote!

TBH, I'm disappointed by Sony's extreme focus on SP games.

Now I'm not saying that they should go to the other extreme of focusing on GaaS/MP titles, but I like some balance in my (gaming) life.

Remember the 7th gen era? PS3 had great exclusive games like Resistance, Warhawk, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 (UC3 MP even had the glorious Subway beta!), Twisted Metal, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (that was a Smash clone, not Fortnite-related, lol).

It's cool to have some genre diversity in MP games, isn't it?

Man, I'd kill for Uncharted 2-3 MP getting the remaster treatment. I've been begging for it for a while, but no one listens to me. :(

Boss Mog

Don't put words in my mouth.

I said "isn't drastically cheaper".

A 2TB HDD right now costs €80. So yeah, it's not drastically cheaper.

a retail external 2.5" 2TB HDD is 65€ on Amazon so an OEM without the shell is probably costs Sony like 50€ tops. A 1TB SSD costs 120€ for a shit brand and like 150€ for a a good brand.

a retail external 2.5" 2TB HDD is 65€ on Amazon so an OEM without the shell is probably costs Sony like 50€ tops. A 1TB SSD costs 120€ for a shit brand and like 150€ for a a good brand.
NAND prices will drop. We have ~2 years until the end of 2020.

HDD prices don't drop that much, they tend to stagnate for long periods of time.

ethomaz

Banned
That's not the way consoles work. You aren't going to get PS5 or Xbox X2 with GPUs and TF battling Nvidia's top cards, and definitely not Nvidia cards in 2020.
AMD 14TFs didn’t battle nVidia top cards even today lol

Imagine next year.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The oddness of the 20gb number is what buys it credibility in my view. Dev-kits will always have additional ram for debug code and logging/heuristics. The amount of additional ram would also likely not need to be of an incremental size most optimal for cost; as its not a mass-production item like the retail unit.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Correction

3 claims were true (Namely: Codename of chip, preliminary GPU spec, and manufacturing process)

4 claims were false true (Namely: preliminary CPU spec, CPU architecture used, GPU codename and second GPU) - early prototype hardware

1 claim is unverified true (Namely: PS4 can do 10x longer than PS3 can, which in the native text is that the PS4 can do 10x more than the PS3. - what they meant was 10x more powerful.

Edit: I guess he was banned.

Last edited:
Once again, nothing out of the ordinary except the ram. But if these are dev kit specs, that makes sense. They typically feature 2x the RAM of production units. I expect no more than 12gb of fast ram in any upcoming console, or the RRP will end up being $1000.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
"Just wait till they reveal this piece of hardware, Sony did some crazy job with customizations and secret sauces. No one will believe what they're gonna showcase (graphically). HZD2"

The lowered expectation crowd should be in for quite a surprise.......

AMD 14TFs didn’t battle nVidia top cards even today lol

Imagine next year.
Not quite true, besides, 14TF today consumes much more power than it will consume in late 2020......I imagine we will be able to get 24TF at around 200-250 on 5nm....in late 2020......on PC..

As for AMD vs Nvidia, PC GPU's can't tell the whole story for consoles but it clues us in sometimes.....If games are tailored to Radeon's strength, the power of these cards can be shown and has been shown on PC...That is TFLOP count and AMD architecture over Nvidia...Watch games like Dirt 4, Strange Brigade and Prior to Turing, Compute heavy, DX12 and Vulkan titles.....If games are made to the tune of AMD's architecture or where there's no NV gimping involved, you will see the TF disparity between the cards...

Yet the great thing about pushing such power unto consoles is that such power will finally be utilized.....Let's be honest, most of that TF power on PC GPU's are mostly being pushed by expensive effects and resolutions, not so much because a dev painstakingly used all that 12-14TF power to push the envelope for a single title.......Some of the best games we've seen in the last five years were made on 1.84TF, so it will be something to behold if Devs can maximize 14TF or even more as a baseline...

Bonus: They do compete and since consoles are and will be on AMD for the forsee-able future, the whole game development focus will be on AMD hardware as opposed to Nvidia......So perf on AMD cards is about to skyrocket even-more...

Top Bottom