• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl returns, claims 360 slim for E3 and rebrand

Surfer-Girl-Silhouette-Photographic-Print-C11953212.jpeg

First image search result of surfer girl. Google can not be wrong she is hot. :D

edited for work safeness :lol

Baki

omg rite said:
Could you link me to the European numbers?

PS3:

Code:
Holiday sales (Oct - Dec)

Sales  (Three Months Ended December 31,2009)

-Eur/NA     5.0

-Japan      0.8

-Global     5.8

Source:Chart-Track,GfK,NPD,Media Create

EUR = ~2.6M

Xbox 360:

Code:
Sales  (Three Months Ended December 31,2009)

-Eur/NA     4.0

-Japan      0.07

-Global     4.07

Source:Chart-Track,GfK,NPD,Media Create

EUR = ~1.61M

Difference = ~ 1M

Sources: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/769371088x0x329899/bf6ef6c2-c827-46d3-9481-06fcc1e97ef0/q309%20slides%20final%2011-5.pdf and http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/769371088x0x350282/9c6129c3-81cc-4bf9-b489-3ca9e9c04962/ATVIslides.pdf

PS: A gaffer did all the legwork for this. Forgot his name though.

Also:

54l.jpg

crazy monkey said:

First image search result of surfer girl. Google can not be wrong she is hot. :D

To be fair, that is a sillouhette. :p

yencid

Ballistictiger said:
I remember a load of crap and safe guesses.
again... bullshit. just check the thread that has been linked here. Of course shes not going to get everything right but she got plenty of stuff correct and even brought us info on PoP 2008. She leaked a picture showing the 2 character mechanic when the game was alpha.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
crazy monkey said:

I'm laying down next to her.

HBroward

If this is indeed possibly real, then my prediction is Metal Gear Solid Touch from the iPhone being ported with motion control. It makes sense, it would be a quick product they could get out the door with minimum resources dedicated to the project. MGS4 for the Xbox 360, minus gameplay beyond pointing at the screen and saying "Pew Pew Pew."

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Color: They will probably ditch green as their main color and switch to someting like orange. That could be one of the boldest move towards a complete rebranding of the current Xbox devision.

1+ million sales in Northern Ireland confirmed.

dyergram

I would totally buy a new 360 if it had Natal with it was looking to buy a replacement just for HDMI so I guess I should try and wait for e3 now...

bmf said:
I think they're going to remove the XBox from the name.

Yes, and Nintendo is going to change their name to Funcube this year in order to lure back the third parties. Look forward to the Funcube 3DS, coming soon to stores near you.

WickedCobra03 said:
In all seriousness, Major Nelson is a liar through his white teeth. Come on, he has the balls at PAX East to say that all of the 360 hardware problems were over.

Independent studies based on warranty utilization shows that Jasper consoles (the newest chipset of the 360, first released about two years ago) have a failure rate equivalent to the PS3's. If "only fails as much as a PS3" counts as "over," then the problem is indeed over.

Imperial Hot said:
I don't know. I seem to remember her having a pretty good track record. Not perfect, but she was pretty good.

Her actual track record over time was pretty poor, below 50%. It was clear pretty early on that Surfer Girl had at least some legitimate industry sources, but that either she was also just making up a bunch of crap to pad out her posts or taking "tips" from a large number of unverified sources such that her good info was mixed in with bad.

It's clear that the time to buy a 360 isn't now because some pretty big price drops are clearly coming, but it's a shame there aren't any leaks regarding Ps3 or Wii price dropping. I really want one or the other but I have to imagine they'll have to price match the 360 in some way.

slider

I've got an Elite and I'm quite fond of the form factor so the slim rumours mean little to me. But it's about damn time (if true).

I look back on the height of the SG rumour threads with a tear in my eye. I love exciting rumours and the emotion and drama that comes with them no matter the veracity.

Dark FaZe said:
It's clear that the time to buy a 360 isn't now because some pretty big price drops are clearly coming, but it's a shame there aren't any leaks regarding Ps3 or Wii price dropping. I really want one or the other but I have to imagine they'll have to price match the 360 in some way.
I think the 360 will stay the same price, but will be bundled with Natal. They might release a barebones 360 SKU for a lot cheaper, but I think MS would much rather Natal was bought.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Most of the things Surfer Girl was "wrong" about, he/she wasn't actually wrong about, they just changed. I mean, if I announce that <Team X> is working on a game, and that project gets canceled later, that doesn't mean I'm wrong. Especially when you consider that >50% of what Surfer Girl had announced was clearly stuff that was subject to change. I like the hypothesis that Surfer Girl started out as someone peripherally involved in the industry, maybe in PR or staffing, and as time went by, he/she got increasing tips from actual development sources.

That being said, I'm virtually certain this new blog is not Surfer Girl. It's not the same unmistakable writing style. It doesn't sound anything like him/her. Right down to the pitiful attempt at an MGS tease at the end of the blog post.

On the other hand, superannuation pretty clearly is Surfer Girl or someone very successfully aping him/her. The bizarre crossover of progressive politics, indie rock, Daria-style misanthropy, the uncanny ability to dredge up things from search engines, etc. The same super-minimal punk design. The same writing style. It was obvious to me from day one.

Edit: looking at the "false" Surfer Girl rumours, virtually all of them are not actually proven false, they just didn't come to fruition.

Who says EA wasn't planning Fight Night R4 for the Wii at some point? Grasshopper is working on PS3/360 title, that it ended up not being their next title is more a sentence structure error than evidence that he/she didn't know anything. All those Take 2 release dates likely slipped. Factor 5 quite possibly was working on a downloadable PSN title. Zoonami did release a WiiWare title, although it missed 2008 by a few months.

If forum readers want to get the inside scoop, they will find that an enormous number of projects get cancelled, delayed, or rebooted. If Reggie himself ran a NINTENDO SCOOPZ blog, half of what was posted would end up wrong in the end.

FrankT

Dark FaZe said:

I doubt the Wii drops the price until at least fall 2011 in the states. It had that price drop last year and I see no reason as to why it would have another with it still just trucking along. I suppose it is possible the PS3 may drop to $250 but at that rate it would seem Sony will never catch up with even on the HW although I suppose they should be close now, but that would put them right back in the same position for however long still.

pseudocaesar said:
I think the 360 will stay the same price, but will be bundled with Natal. They might release a barebones 360 SKU for a lot cheaper, but I think MS would much rather Natal was bought.

Eh my money is on straight to $149 this holiday season just like the bigger drop to $199 two years before it. Last year was nothing more but a SKU exchange. At the high end there will almost certainly be a Slim and Natal combo however (likely later on as I think Natal will hit in Nov with a price cut/slim in August/Sept). This will leave $129 and $99 eventually in the last few years spread out before the next gen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rayne S was a guy in corporate retail purchasing. I'm pretty sure he was legit, his problem was that he was wayyyyy overly sure about everything that he passed along, to the point of thumbing down his nose at anyone who was skeptical, and ended up being wrong as often as he was right.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jtyettis said:
I doubt the Wii drops the price until at least fall 2011 in the states. It had that price drop last year and I see no reason as to why it would have another with it still just trucking along. I suppose it is possible the PS3 may drop to $250 but at that rate it would seem Sony will never catch up with even on the HW although I suppose they should be close now, but that would put them right back in the same position for however long still.

Eh my money is on straight to $149 this holiday season just like the bigger drop to $199 two years before it. Last year was nothing more but a SKU exchange. At the high end there will almost certainly be a Slim and Natal combo however (likely later on as I think Natal will hit in Nov with a price cut/slim in August/Sept). This will leave $129 and $99 eventually in the last few years spread out before the next gen.

The slim won't be at the 'high end', it'll be the eventual replacement of the current sku's imo, I can't see MS having so many sku's in production (slim + arcade and elite etc), they tried that before and it was just confusing for the consumer, also good business isn't always about under cutting your competitors, with the PS3 @ $299 MS can still rake in the cash @ $199+

Sporty

Neo Member
HiResDes said:
There was also Gamesblow, but I don't think anyone even remembers that guy...:lol

Gamesblow was kinda funny to read. He was pretty much wrong about everything but worded everything as "I'll be proven a prophet soon, just wait and see"

charlequin said:
Yes, and Nintendo is going to change their name to Funcube this year in order to lure back the third parties. Look forward to the Funcube 3DS, coming soon to stores near you.
Oh hey, there's charlequin, being a jerk again, unable to deal with a deal with an opinion on what a company may do that isn't his.

The next thing that will happen is that I'll state that MS seems like they're looking to remove the XBox from the name of their game system because it's associated with the hardcore locked in their basement bro demographic, and they want to also appeal to the casual expanded audience that seems to be buying the Wii consoles. They can do this because the hardcore bro demographic refers to the system as the 360 anyway, and slowly removing the XBox from the name won't hurt that demographic in any significant manner. I will then reiterate that they will start by reducing the prominence of the XBox in the name and focus on the 360 part. I'll then concede that they may not be able to completely remove the XBox in the name, but it won't be focused on anymore.

He'll then come back with a mocking tone and state that I'm wrong - citing assumptions pulled out of his ass about the shape of the market and how it will never happen. Then he'll hedge his statement by saying that it might happen at some point because he doesn't know the future. He will retain his mocking tone the entire time.

I will then ask him to take one stance or the other and reiterate my position.

He'll then edit my response down to one or two sentences and mock that part of it.

At this point a 3rd individual will jump in with all lowercase letters and no punctuational. He will come in from charlequin's position in a much less wordy and less thought out manner. This individual may be fuming at the ears or crying. It will never exactly be clear.

I will respond to both. I will state that I'm bored, and that we'll just have to see what happens.

Charlequin will then claim to have won the argument.

Whatever. Charleqin is obviously much better at this whole arguing on the internet thing than I am. He's also much more capable of creating walls of text.

Yay.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
bmf said:
Oh hey, there's charlequin, being a jerk again, unable to deal with a deal with an opinion on what a company may do that isn't his.

The next thing that will happen is that I'll state that MS seems like they're looking to remove the XBox from the name of their game system because it's associated with the hardcore locked in their basement bro demographic, and they want to also appeal to the casual expanded audience that seems to be buying the Wii consoles. They can do this because the hardcore bro demographic refers to the system as the 360 anyway, and slowly removing the XBox from the name won't hurt that demographic in any significant manner. I will then reiterate that they will start by reducing the prominence of the XBox in the name and focus on the 360 part. I'll then concede that they may not be able to completely remove the XBox in the name, but it won't be focused on anymore.

He'll then come back with a mocking tone and state that I'm wrong - citing assumptions pulled out of his ass about the shape of the market and how it will never happen. Then he'll hedge his statement by saying that it might happen at some point because he doesn't know the future. He will retain his mocking tone the entire time.

I will then ask him to take one stance or the other and reiterate my position.

He'll then edit my response down to one or two sentences and mock that part of it.

At this point a 3rd individual will jump in with all lowercase letters and no punctuational. He will come in from charlequin's position in a much less wordy and less thought out manner. This individual may be fuming at the ears or crying. It will never exactly be clear.

I will respond to both. I will state that I'm bored, and that we'll just have to see what happens.

Charlequin will then claim to have won the argument.

Whatever. Charleqin is obviously much better at this whole arguing on the internet thing than I am. He's also much more capable of creating walls of text.

Yay.

wow you people really care about your internet pride it's so funny :lol, just bail out if someone is trolling you or isn't giving you a 'worthy' response to debate with, it's not like you'll be a lessor human being for leaving a discussion or ignoring stupid comments, people on here are so concerned about their internet persona, it's like some kind of meta game or something, trying to '1up' people all the time.

EXGN

From the comments:

Surfer Girl posted...

This is not me. I don't even know what a gloss black television is; hell, I have trouble remember the difference between glossy and matte laptop screens.

Can't you come up with an original albeit absurd (perhaps even incoherent) moniker instead of ride on the coattails of someone with a dubious-at-best legacy? Also, ratchet the likely condescending sociopolitical didacticism up to eleven if your cover blog* shtick wants to even be remotely convincing.

Finally, your puns are fucking horrible and make me out to be some entity along the lines of 50 Cent circa 2000 or whenever he got shot nine times. I mean, I'm sure 50 Cent circa 2000 was a great drug dealer or whatever, but I'm very far removed from him in any aspect. Though, I knew this bearded yuppie about five years ago I suspected moonlighted as pusher.

Really, why couldn't I go to nine months without receiving an email about this "surfer girl" stuff? If I wanted to continue this charade, I wouldn't have ended then deleted my original blog. Like heroin**, anonymous gaming rumorblogs with incoherent titles are so passe.

*Is cover blogging even a thing?
**It's a fucking Dandy Warhols reference.

But seriously, if this was my blog, I probably would've titled it "Pocahontas Goes to Burning Man."

"Surfer Girl Strikes Back" is just so…creatively bankrupt.

I think this is where I'm supposed to rant about the maliciousness of the California Republican gubernatorial primary race. Also, Prop 16 is an equally malicious attempt by Pacific Gas & Electric to fuck over our state Enron-style; vile corporatism at its worst.

But if I'm going to wax speculatory, how about that arms race between console manufacturers to see who can make gamers look the stupidest when playing games? Nintendo's going to have to add some 3D glasses to top Natal, eh? But Sony is at the front of the pack with both 3D glasses and magic wands.

Which sounds more like the real Surfer Girl... but who knows.

The part that bugs me is that it becomes an entire time suck. I should be spending more of my time gaming. Good idea. I'll unsubscribe from the thread when someone else posts later. All that means is more Monster Hunter 3 for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to not get sucked back in.

Top Bottom