• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl returns, claims 360 slim for E3 and rebrand

V_Ben

Banned
CosmicGroinPull said:
The MGS obviously refers to Metal Gear Rising where you pretend to hold a sword in your hand and swing it around. It will be interesting.... to watch.

CosmicGroinPull
(Today, 12:16 PM)

besiktas1

The thing about Natal, I read in an EDGE interview with the codemasters guys that they feel the drawback atm is that games already in development you cannot just add the functionality on. It must be added on from scratch. (Though arguable this is a good thing imo so early games would not have just "tacked on" natal support, but on the other side is how long dev time they have to make it in time for launch).

So unless Kojima hadn't started/has restarted from scratch when he got the Natal dev kits then the MGS (rising or whatever) game is not possible.... I call fake.

besiktas1 said:
The thing about Natal, I read in an EDGE interview with the codemasters guys that they feel the drawback atm is that games already in development you cannot just add the functionality on. It must be added on from scratch. (Though arguable this is a good thing imo so early games would not have just "tacked on" natal support, but on the other side is how long dev time they have to make it in time for launch).

So unless Kojima hadn't started/has restarted from scratch when he got the Natal dev kits then the MGS (rising or whatever) game is not possible.... I call fake.

Isn't one of the Natal demos, burnout paradise with tacked Natal controls?

besiktas1

Relaxed Muscle said:

Maybe it was a vertical slice from scratch. Or maybe now with the chip removed (or is it? don't know what's going on with that) that functionality has gone. I dont know. But when I read it I was like damn :( early natal games will be rushed if it's from scratch.

TheOddOne

Relaxed Muscle said:
Since MS removed the chip, it aint possible anymore. This means that old games can't be done with Natal features.

Dabanton

Vizion28 said:
I predicted Microsoft was going to rebrand their console to go for the extreme casuals. Which is funny because there is a thread somewhere on Gaf about that very topic where many posters said it would be a stupid thing to do.

That said in regards to the video game industry, Microsoft is so predictable. There hasn't been a move by Microsoft were I was surprised.

What's an extreme casual?

keiji

slim.jpg

keiji said:

I don't think that it will be this slim. The above looks crap btw. The new slim 360 still has to fit the hard drive and the wireless controller that Microsoft sold all these years. Unless they make a model with built-in hdds but thats taking away money from add on market.

Walshicus

Green Scar said:
Once you go black, you never go back.
Should be "Once you go black for four years, then white, then black for some SKUs, then black as the primary colour [ignoring limited editions]... you never go back".

V_Ben

Banned
webcivilian said:
I don't think that it will be this slim. The above looks crap btw. The new slim 360 still has to fit the hard drive and the wireless controller that Microsoft sold all these years. Unless they make a model with built-in hdds but thats taking away money from add on market.

yeah, also i don't think it will have memory card slots. That's what the update with usb thumb drive support was for.

Relaxed Muscle said:

It was meant as a proof of concept for driving mechanics. Same with the other games they did Natal controls for. They are not going to publish those games, but they were made to give press, developers and MS an idea of they could, and shouldn't do in regards to control.

Draft

Kojima-kun's crazed enough to put MGS exclusively on the PSP. Not surprised to hear he's doing it with Natal too. Man's got no business sense.

Draft said:
Kojima-kun's crazed enough to put MGS exclusively on the PSP. Not surprised to hear he's doing it with Natal too. Man's got no business sense.

You think that MS wouldn't pay a BUCKET LOAD of cash to get a core franchise like that on Natal?

By the way, was there ever a shortlist of who Surfer Girl could actually really be?

it's Richard Leadbetter - just know it!

Draft

NinjaFusion said:
You think that MS wouldn't pay a BUCKET LOAD of cash to get a core franchise like that on Natal?

By the way, was there ever a shortlist of who Surfer Girl could actually really be?

No. In fact I don't think it makes any sense to put MGS games on Natal unless it's Cooking with Snake or Ocelot Teaches Typing.

NinjaFusion said:

Sure, they'll pay a bucket load just like Apple did.

No, but seriously, if there IS an MGS for the Natal, then you can either expect it to be a rushed spin off or MGS4 that uses the regular controller with horrible tacked on Natal functions (wave your hand to break Psycho Mantis's mind control!!!!).

AceBandage said:
Sure, they'll pay a bucket load just like Apple did.

No, but seriously, if there IS an MGS for the Natal, then you can either expect it to be a rushed spin off or MGS4 that uses the regular controller with horrible tacked on Natal functions (wave your hand to break Psycho Mantis's mind control!!!!).
OOOOOOO You gave me idea. Persona 3 Natal version.

Have to shoot yourself with finger gun to use spells.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:

It would be Rising, surely. Though, yes, I'm sure its uses would be 'peripheral', an optional thing alongside the gamepad.

FrankT

InvincibleAgent said:
So... Speculated time of release? I want to get a 360 but don't know if the old ones will go on sale with news of the Slim.

Right around Aug/Sept I'd say. Reach timing for full effect if I had to guess.

Suzzopher said:
I somehow doubt Sony or anyone would be surprised to see Insomniac go multi format at E3.

I don't think so either especially with the number of rumors out their to date. Although the way that is stated surely they aren't making an exclusive for MS? Because that would surely raise a few heh. Anyhow is this even the real SG? Thought it was still thought to be a fake? Or not?

FrankT

lowrider007 said:
The slim won't be at the 'high end', it'll be the eventual replacement of the current sku's imo, I can't see MS having so many sku's in production (slim + arcade and elite etc), they tried that before and it was just confusing for the consumer, also good business isn't always about under cutting your competitors, with the PS3 @ $299 MS can still rake in the cash @ $199+

No I said a high end model with Natal. There will be plenty of cheap end models for the slim I'm sure of that. Will they do a stock cleaning beforehand likely and I still bet on $149 for the holiday season. There was no real price drop last year and I'm almost 100% certian there will be this year.

Alec

MaxConsole Reports Fake

Since we posted about the potential return of the Surfer Girl, and that Xbox 360 Slim rumor, a number of sites have taken it as the gospel truth. Well today we received a little e-mail from the apparent original 'Surfer Gril' who stated the following: "That is not me, and I would like you do correct your story. I do not have any sort of blog. (I deleted the whole Google account behind the original blog, so this is why I just had to register for this account.)"

Draft said:
No. In fact I don't think it makes any sense to put MGS games on Natal unless it's Cooking with Snake or Ocelot Teaches Typing.

It might not make any sense... unless the platform holder was basically paying for the game?

Which it has a history of doing... ?

FrankT

Rez said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't I have just sent them that email?

Yea bad english and all. I'm going to assume that is a typo above in the email. :lol Although there is that earlier response posting as well. Still seems fishy at best.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Jtyettis said:
No I said a high end model with Natal. There will be plenty of cheap end models for the slim I'm sure of that. Will they do a stock cleaning beforehand likely and I still bet on $149 for the holiday season. There was no real price drop last year and I'm all 100% certian there will be this year.

Price drop on the old sku's maybe, but don't expect the base model of the 360 slim to be less than $199 any time soon, if it is I'll eat my yankees cap.

FrankT

lowrider007 said:
Price drop on the old sku's maybe, but don't expect the base model of the 360 slim to be less than $199 any time soon, if it is I'll eat my yankees cap.

Possible, but I could certainly see a slim model for $149. It is all about saving costs right and since they have been at $199 for two years they will want a new entry level, and not just temporary. If they can break even on the HW or very close from launch they have no reason not to. It all depends on the how they work the HDD imo and how they mark the rest of the stock. IF they mark down the stock before the slim for clearing that will be the first sign that it will come at the cheaper price.

TommyT

like taking candy from a baby

So... isn't the world of gaming pretty fucked up?

Firstly, any old dumbass can start a blog spouting crap and so-called 'legitimate' gaming websites fall over themselves to cover it. I'm looking at you MaxConsole.

What's more, within the space of hours gaming forums are only too willing to perpetuate substance-less rubbish. Even the oh-so-precious NeoGaf with it's "I'm more hardcore that you" snobbery. 280 replies and 26,000 page views... Gee, thanks guys.

Seriously, I often wonder if 90% of the people on that site even know what 'pre eminent' means? Especially when, of late, a quick run through the first page of Gaf is actually the same mix of bitching and N4G reposts you get on any other gaming forums.

Standards have fallen.

See ya.

:lol

edit: MaxConsole and NeoGAF were linked in the blog.

Alec

TommyT said:
:lol

edit: MaxConsole and NeoGAF were linked in the blog.

Probably only mentioned because Surfer Girl has been hitting F5 on her hype thread in this forum.

Pooya

Seriously, I often wonder if 90% of the people on that site even know what 'pre eminent' means? Especially when, of late, a quick run through the first page of Gaf is actually the same mix of bitching and N4G reposts you get on any other gaming forums.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Mr.Green

So... isn't the world of gaming pretty fucked up?

Firstly, any old dumbass can start a blog spouting crap and so-called 'legitimate' gaming websites fall over themselves to cover it. I'm looking at you MaxConsole.

What's more, within the space of hours gaming forums are only too willing to perpetuate substance-less rubbish. Even the oh-so-precious NeoGaf with it's "I'm more hardcore that you" snobbery. 280 replies and 26,000 page views... Gee, thanks guys.

Standards have fallen.

See ya.

So awesome! :lol

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Fake Surfer Girl is sooo right about the standards and I heard this exact same 360 slim rumor at E3 09' :lol 9.5 out of 10 stars!

brotkasten said:
Fixed it for you.

2573736726_af67ec3b18_o.jpg

Ocelot teaches typing! :lol

Thread is more full of win than expected.

That slim mockup above doesn't jibe - for many reasons, but one being- that they're switching the primary console color to black. Reason behind this is because Natal will be black, to blend in with the black HDTV's it will be placed near.

Top Bottom