• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surprise Contender for GOTY!

Megatron

guardians-star-lord-who.gif

Ozzie666

Fall guys feels like something Nintendo could/should have made. In terms of finding a new way to chase that Fortnite money, it's pretty successful and fun.

e0n

Animal Crossing reached the zeitgeist first. Fall Guys might win some best multiplayer awards, but it has no 10/10 reviews which is usually the best determination of GOTY.

Boss Mog

So far for me it's Ghost of Tsushima but obviously with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next month that could change.

Fall Guys is a game that is completely pointless since it's about 25% skill and 75% luck. I'm sure today's "games journalists" will love it though since they can actually be "good" at it.

Shubh_C63

Fall Guy is gonna win atleast 10 to 15 GOTY awards, not more.

For Cyberpunk we are talking in the range of 50 to 100+

Fall Guys is a lot of fun, but the net code is simply awful, and is a candidate for worst ever. As a result, most of the games just don't work right. Even people in their first games notice that they need to be inside someone to take a tail but opponents take a tail from them from down the street, around the corner, and walking the other way. The more you play the more you start to notice other things as well.

NinjaBoiX

lol no, it’s a cute little game and I’m glad it was successful but I think it’s the quintessential “flash in the pan”.

I’ll play it occasionally for 15-20 minutes or so but it’s too insubstantial to be truly great IMO.

VN1X

Banned
My and my gf could barely get 6 hours out of the game so far. It's okay but I doubt we'll even reach a play time of 10 hours by the end of the year. It's very one-note imo.

JimiNutz

Banned
Fall Guys was a lot of fun for a short period.
Is the player population still large or have most people moved on already?

Stuart360

Dont like seeing these cheap to produce MP games selling so well. This, Among Us, and that Ghost game in the TOP 5 sellers on Steam. It makes me worry that publishers will be like 'why spend $100mil making these AAA games when we can just spend 500k making these silly little games that sell tens of millions'

MrS

Banned
Anybody voting Fall Guys GOTY is not a serious gamer and has no interest in moving the medium forward. Wouldn't surprise me if the usual fuckin retards in the press voted it GOTY, the types who gave Goose Game GOTY etc.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Fall Guys had one of the biggest fall from graces I have ever witnessed (No pun intended)

Last night, it had just 8000 viewers on Twitch (Compared to 300,000 a few weeks ago).

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Fall Guys was the fever of the month. By december nobody will remember it.

Cyberpunk is going to win most of those, with Hades, Animal Crossing and maybe Doom following near.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anybody voting Fall Guys GOTY is not a serious gamer and has no interest in moving the medium forward. Wouldn't surprise me if the usual fuckin retards in the press voted it GOTY, the types who gave Goose Game GOTY etc.

While I don't think Fall Guys is good. I think it definitely moves the medium forward in one important way.

The industry needs to see that low skill floor multiplayer can be vital.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: MrS

MrS

Banned
While I don't think Fall Guys is good. I think it definitely moves the medium forward in one important way.

The industry needs to see that low skill floor multiplayer can be vital.
Overwatch and Fortnite already do that m8

I take your point but I would ask you if you think Fall Guys is vital if it's dead within 3 months? The game seemingly doesn't have legs.

Last edited:
Well this isn't a Genshin Impact thread. That's probably my GOTY. Fall Guys is ok too for an out of nowhere game but not on the same level. It's too basic, unless they keep adding stuff.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fall Guys? More like Fad Guys as it seems memetwitch has already moved on to Among Us.

I liked Fall Guys but it was never going to be sustainable as a long term GAAS type thing.

When I read your first sentence: so you're saying Polygon is going to give Fall Guys GOTY?

But it seems like you covered that.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: MrS
I have seen just like 2-3 people play this game on this forum lol
It's my GOTY so far (although I'm still playing through Aegis Rim: 13 Sentinels, so the jury's still out for me):
capsule_616x353.jpg

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Overwatch and Fortnite already do that m8

I take your point but I would ask you if you think Fall Guys is vital if it's dead within 3 months? The game seemingly doesn't have legs.

First of all, the skill floor in Fall Guys is waaaaaay lower than Overwatch and Fortnite. It's a joystick and two buttons, with relatively slow pace of play. Overwatch and Fortnite require the mastery of two joysticks and....7 or 8 buttons? There's no comparison.

Fall Guys isn't a good game, but I think it's important to see just how many people are interested in multiplayer when you remove the hurdle of complex control schemes.

MrS

Banned
First of all, the skill floor in Fall Guys is waaaaaay lower than Overwatch and Fortnite. It's a joystick and two buttons, with relatively slow pace of play. Overwatch and Fortnite require the mastery of two joysticks and....7 or 8 buttons? There's no comparison.

Fall Guys isn't a good game, but I think it's important to see just how many people are interested in multiplayer when you remove the hurdle of complex control schemes.
Lets not act like your average Fortnite player isn't between the ages of 12-16. These kids aren't world class masters of video games. You know this so please don't be obtuse. I've played countless games of Fortnite where I've been teamed with people gaa-gaa and goo-gooing down the microphone.

Agree with your second point.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Lets not act like your average Fortnite player isn't between the ages of 12-16. These kids aren't world class masters of video games. You know this so please don't be obtuse. I've played countless games of Fortnite where I've been teamed with people gaa-gaa and goo-gooing down the microphone.

Agree with your second point.

One joystick and two buttons.

Vs...

Two joysticks and 8 buttons.

The market loses a ton of potential players going from the first to the second.

Top Bottom