• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor's Remorse - It's like a sports Entourage. Only, ya know, good - Sun on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

“Survivor’s Remorse,” a six-episode half-hour comedy series, follows Cam Calloway, a basketball phenom in his early 20’s who is suddenly thrust into the limelight after signing a multi-million dollar contract with a professional basketball team in Atlanta. Cam, along with his cousin, and confidant Reggie Vaughn, move to Georgia to start Cam’s journey to success.

The two confront the challenges of carrying opportunistic family members and their strong ties to the impoverished community that they come from. Cam, Reggie, and an unforgettable group of characters wrestle with the rewards and pitfalls of stardom, love, and loyalty.

The series is executive produced by Mike O’Malley and LeBron James.

Starz is offering multi-platform, nationwide sampling of the first two episodes of the new STARZ Original Series, “Survivor’s Remorse,” beginning Saturday, September 27, through select websites including Starz.com, the “Survivor’s Remorse” Twitter page, the “Survivor’s Remorse” YouTube page, “Survivor’s Remorse” Facebook page, STARZ ON DEMAND and the free STARZ PLAY app for all users in the United States. The episodes will also be available on Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, Sony Entertainment Network and Xbox Video.

Cast

• Cam Calloway has come a long way from the Boston projects by signing to the Atlanta pro basketball team. His next big challenge is deciding who to help – and not help – on his way up.
  • Loyal and watchful, Reggie is not only Cam’s cousin, but his best friend and confidant. It’s his job to protect Cam and make sure that he’s focused and stays away from the many distractions along the way - including his own family.
  • M-Chuck is Cam’s older sister, staunch defender, and biggest fan. Accompanying the family to Atlanta, she’s a forthright, blunt, loyal sibling who is suspicious of the traps of fame and its impact on her brother. Her boldness often chafes against the expectations the city has for the family being new Atlanta Royalty, and also the Cam “Brand” that Reggie works hard to foster.

• Proud mother of Cam and ready to live a comfortable life as a baller’s mama, Cassie Calloway is brash and unafraid of the consequences of her actions. But she is the family’s rock and despite her gaffes, wants to do what’s right.
  • Beautiful and refined, Missy is starting a good life for her and Reggie in Atlanta, a place she’d rather not be. Whether it’s getting Cam involved in charities or picking a country club for her and Reggie, Missy’s social awareness is sometimes out of place with the band of misfits that is Cam’s family.
  • The family’s de facto patriarch, Uncle Julius is not only Cassie’s brother and Cam’s uncle, but the kind of guy who would be there for them if it all went away—and the kind of guy who’s gonna enjoy all of the trimmings of success until it does.

Videos

First Look Trailer
Official Trailer
New Series
Pro Money Pro Problems
Family
Red Carpet at the premiere: Arrivals

Promo Photos

8AvHQfq.jpg

wzfRT9S.jpg

I'm surprised at this. I thought that NBA athletes were understood to be the least likeable, most spoiled, most out of touch -- generally worst people of all professional athletes. I mean I truly thought that was a general understanding? This looks rancid to me, as I generally detest the NBA. I'd much rather see just about anything besides a "basketball" comedy that Bron-Bron thought of. It sounds like a joke, actually.
Like "haha right? Imagine if they made that."
They are.
"What?"

Clevinger

I'm surprised at this. I thought that NBA athletes were understood to be the least likeable, most spoiled, most out of touch -- generally worst people of all professional athletes. I mean I truly thought that was a general understanding?

I was about to disagree with this, but then I remembered some of the most popular of the last couple eras, Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe, are huge assholes. They're still likable though. And Bron seems like a good dude when he's not flopping all over the place and whining to refs.

The average NBA player is pretty likable though, IMO.

Mxrz

I'm surprised at this. I thought that NBA athletes were understood to be the least likeable, most spoiled, most out of touch -- generally worst people of all professional athletes. I mean I truly thought that was a general understanding? This looks rancid to me, as I generally detest the NBA. I'd much rather see just about anything besides a "basketball" comedy that Bron-Bron thought of. It sounds like a joke, actually.
Like "haha right? Imagine if they made that."
They are.
"What?"

You might be projecting some. Or a lot.

I'll watch for Mike Epps if nothing else.

I've seen promos for this show on Starz, and kept seeing "Survivors Remorse" thinking that couldn't possibly be the name of the show.

This show looks less interesting than Outlander and Power combined. I'll give the premiere a look at the very least

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just watched both episodes and I loved it. My favourite line, Uncle Julius: "You like icecream?" I lost it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
- Warming Glow: Some Thoughts On LeBron James’ Starz Series, ‘Survivor’s Remorse’

All in all, Remorse is entertaining enough to check out, even if the small sample doesn’t offer the full extent of what the series hopes to become. By design, it won’t be around for long since each airing sports a 30-minute run time and the season’s an abbreviated six episodes. But with the big names attached, and the quality of the first third of the introductory season, Remorse returning for a second season seems like a safe bet.

Entertainment Weekly -
The cast is charming and there's a refreshing honesty about Cam.

Washington Post -
The cast is terrific, and some of the lines are screamingly funny, but there’s also an empathetic, moral undercurrent to the story--the usual cautionary tale about having all your dreams come true.

Clevinger

Watched an episode and a half. It was all right. Dunno if I'll continue.

Feels like a black version of Entourage, right down to the short agent buddy. I never liked Entourage all that much.

DominoKid

yeah i'm gonna need multiple seasons of this.

how long ago did they film this shit? they timed the whooping storyline out perfectly?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Variety -

Look past the marquee producers (including NBA superstar LeBron James and his manager), and “Survivor’s Remorse” is really just a new version of “Entourage,” with a predominantly African-American cast and a new big-money setting — namely, pro basketball. And that’s not a bad thing, at least once one gets past the exposition-heavy premiere, which feels too obligated to state every beat of the premise, including the underlying meaning of the title. Starz has ordered six episodes of this half-hour series, which hits just a high enough percentage to warrant a continuing spot on the roster.

Reviews have all been positive thus far!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wall Street Journal -

It's genuinely hilarious and smartly written (Mike O'Malley), its observations are keen, its atmosphere warm but with a saving flinty undertone. Add to that a preening vulgarity that shows touching evidence of restraint.

LA Times -

Unlike many series--especially cable series--and despite the propensity of some family members to take undue advantage of Cam's new good fortune, the show is not broadly cynical about people or institutions, which makes it easy to like, despite its sometimes wobbly tone and occasional clumsy construction.

TV Guide -

This disarming winner has you instantly rooting for basketball prodigy Cam Calloway (Jessie T. Usher).

New York Times -

Survivor’s Remorse is mordant and very funny, but there is a redeeming sweetness beneath the satire and b-ball swagger.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Series premiere tonight

In the Offing

A sitcom about a young pro-basketball star and his opportunistic family entourage begins with the player arriving in Atlanta, where he deals with a new city, a new team and the same old relatives who take advantage of him and his generosity.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Watched the first episode. I liked it and thought it did a good job of laying the groundwork for the rest of the season. Will watch episode 2 next week.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The first episode (which, to be fair, has been online for a few weeks now) only earned 203K viewers...:/

EDIT: Episode 2 - 201K
Episode 3 - 186K
Episode 4 - 161K
Episode 5 - 237K
Episode 6 - 272K

Season 2:

Episode 1 - 334K
Episode 2 - 340K
Episode 3 - 393K
Episode 4 - 303K
Episode 5 - 329K
Episode 6 - 355K
Episode 7 - 387K
Episode 8 - 303K
Episode 9 - 235K
Episode 10 - 324K

Season 3:

Episode 1: 883K

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

How to Build a Brand

Following Reggie and Missy's advice, Cam pays a visit to a dying, basketball-loving teen who hits him with a surprise request; Reggie suggests that Cam to put the family on the payroll.

Busty

Banned
I'm actually interested in checking this out but I have to admit that this show has the worst case of 'bad show title' I've ever seen.

A comedy called Survivor's Remorse? Urgh, it makes it sound like a Lifetime TV movie. Terrible.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

The Decisions

Missy works to score Reggie a membership in an exclusive country club that was founded by blacks, while Cam, in his search to support a church, gets a surprise from a pastor.

So I expected to hate this based purely off the photos in the OP (ugh another example of black people glorifying money/materialism) but the show has a lot of heart. Loved episode 1. Watching 2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Out of the Past

Cam and Reggie reconnect with a talented player whose career was sidetracked by prison; Cassie gets a home-purchasing budget from Reggie; and Cam contemplates slipping into a shoe-endorsement deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom