• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swapnote update is live -- lots of useful new features!

zroid

Banned
The press release from about a week ago revealed:

- Take photos and record sounds you want to attach to your notes from within the software. You can still add them from the SD Card.
- Attach photos and sounds when you reply to notes.
- Choose a different ink colour for each page.
- Filter notes by sender or by favourites

Additional features:

- Mark up to 30 notes (and their replies) for deletion at a time. You can also do this while the filter is activated.
- Undo/Redo your last stroke by pressing the B button
- Hold A while writing a note to view a replay
- While playing Swapnote, it shows how many stationery you've collected in the 3DS friend list
- Mysterious "settings" for all special (gold rimmed) notes received henceforth
- Can now delete stationery you've collected (for some reason)
- Number of replies to a note is now indicated in the little reply "bubble".

EDIT:
a list of changes was posted on the eShop. The following is copied verbatim:
After you perform the update you can -

- Attach a photo and/or audio recording when you reply to a note
- Undo or redo your last pen stroke
- Use a different pen color on each page of a note
- Filter your notes to only see those created by a specific user or those marked as favorites
- Delete multiple notes at once
- Choose whether or not to receive special notes on a category-by-category basis
- Take photos and record audio from within the application
- Enjoy faster loading times
- Continue receiving special notes from Nintendo after April 11, 2013

Thoraxes

That's so much better.

I never deleted any Swapnotes I got because they took too long to delete 1 by 1.

The pics and sounds from inside the interface makes a lot of sense too.

Chrom

Surprisingly good update.

The only practical reason that I see for allowing you to delete stationery would be to have a way of rearranging your stationery as they appear in your collection, since they're ordered by when you got them. Either that, or maybe there is some kind of limit to how many you can have at one time.

EVH

Occasionally. Would prefer they make a private messenger app though that works in the background. But Im starting to wonder how feasible that is now.

That's my point, would have no problem with this updates if they created some sort of in-game simple chat, like accessing the browser, but this app feels so useless to me. Not only that, it is incredibly slow and the compresion of the pictures they sent is ridiculous.

mollipen

Did it show the tip of a pencil when "drawing" the notes that you've received before? I certainly don't remember that being there before this update.

tsab

Surprisingly good update.

The only practical reason that I see for allowing you to delete stationery would be to have a way of rearranging your stationery as they appear in your collection, since they're ordered by when you got them. Either that, or maybe there is some kind of limit to how many you can have at one time.

or you know you want to delete a stationery you don't like. they are autosaved without asking when received.

zroid

Banned
Did it show the tip of a pencil when "drawing" the notes that you've received before? I certainly don't remember that being there before this update.

Hmm, you're right. It's subtle, but I don't think that was there before. Well, I'll leave it out of the OP since it doesn't really do anything, but cool nonetheless.

GRW810

Live where? Update doesn't seem available in EU, even though it was listed in the press release for LAST week.

zroid

Banned
Live where? Update doesn't seem available in EU, even though it was listed in the press release for LAST week.

Did you check your download list? Might be there. I didn't get a prompt saying there was an update available, had to go in there and check manually. Then again, it might not be out in EU yet.

GRW810

Did you check your download list? Might be there. I didn't get a prompt saying there was an update available, had to go in there and check manually. Then again, it might not be out in EU yet.
Nope, nothing. On a side note, you'd think SpotPass would allow software to be updated automatically, rather than merely prompting you to manually do it. Works for Nintendo Video.

Hmm, was not expecting this, pleasantly surprised. I like the creating media from within the app, no more prepping photos/sound before hand! I'll be more inclined to use those features. Also glad they added new color per page. This app is slowly becoming more useful.

Now, they just need to go ahead and fully bake it into the OS, hope delivery time improves as well.
(Can we get in game/other app notification of a note Nintendo)((c'mon, back it into the OS LIKE it should be!!!)

hatchx

Banned
I'll use spotpass again when they let me open it while other games/OS are running, and it downloads the messages in the background so I don't have to wait 15 seconds to receive a couple messages everytime.

It's a cute idea and I like reading PR messages from Nintendo Staff, but it's not a good messaging app between friends and these updates don't help. They need to think of it like a cell phone text message, not a free eshop game with note-sending.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I never deleted any Swapnotes I got because they took too long to delete 1 by 1.
I just can't be bothered to delete them. I just let them take their course and now that I've reached 3000 I'm out with the old and in with the new.

I was wondering... did the speed in which notes are scribbled down get increased? I swear that when I see a Mii writing a note, he/she is writing in a very quick pace that I seems much faster than before.

Also, you can speed up or slow down the speed in which notes are scribbled down using the control stick (left for slow, right for speed). Was that feature present previously?

I think I figured out the stationery count. You have to have "Information Shared" implemented on the Settings page.

I toggled it on and it showed up after relaunching the app, then I turned it off and it disappeared, then I turned it back on again and then relaunched the app and the count came back.

Yes. I was always using it.

The press release from about a week ago revealed:

- Take photos and record sounds you want to attach to your notes from within the software. You can still add them from the SD Card.
- Attach photos and sounds when you reply to notes.
- Choose a different ink colour for each page.
- Filter notes by sender or by favourites

Additional features:

- Mark up to 30 notes (and their replies) for deletion at a time. You can also do this while the filter is activated.
- Undo/Redo your last stroke by pressing the B button
- Hold A while writing a note to view a replay
- While playing Swapnote, it shows how many stationery you've collected in the 3DS friend list
- Mysterious "settings" for all special (gold rimmed) notes received henceforth
- Can now delete stationery you've collected (for some reason)
- Number of replies to a note is now indicated in the little reply "bubble".

Oh my God I am so excited I fucking LOVE SwapNote. My 3DS friends are going to kill themselves I'm going to send so many notes. XD

neto

I think I figured out the stationery count. You have to have "Information Shared" implemented on the Settings page.

I toggled it on and it showed up after relaunching the app, then I turned it off and it disappeared, then I turned it back on again and then relaunched the app and the count came back.

Oh, that makes sense

I swear I'd never seen it before.

...I guess I just embarrassed myself by telling all my Swapnote friends about this "new" feature. ._.

You are not alone, I also never knew about it

The undo button is a godsend, but I could still go for a couple layers, being able to use more than one color per scribble and being able to reply people in a single swapnote thread I've made (instead of having to start a new one everytime I want to respond to somebody's response to my original note).

Top Bottom