• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden-GAF |OT| I'd Say It's Pretty Lagom

Forsete

do you have a lot of people on welfare?

An increasing number at least. Expensive (because it has failed) immigration policy, unemployment, education, healthcare, pensions, benefits (child, sickness a.s.o).. Många bäckar små, as we say.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not so sure about that *looks west*

...to? Greenland? Well, that's usually considered its own thing, since it's autonomous and all. It's usually not included when people talk about "Denmark proper".

Just format it in a way you would like (like mine, or some other way) and I'll put it in there

Just do it like yours. A Västra Götaland meetup in Gothenburg, I guess?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it's interesting.

what is an average salary in Sweden? I mean those who you consider a middle class.

Will be interesting to see how many Swedes Neo-gaf has lured into its clutches...

Skövde-gaf representing!

Hey, we're kind of neighbors! I come from Mariestad and worked in Skövde this summer. Although now I've moved back to Linköping, where I study.

P.S. Mariestad>Skövde

zam

Trollhättan represent! Please don't ask about SAAB going bankrupt :(

it's interesting.

what is an average salary in Sweden? I mean those who you consider a middle class.
Average monthly salary (with all jobs, genders, ages etc included) for 2011 was 29000 SEK (~4355 USD). Median monthly salary was 25900 SEK (~3889 USD) which is in the vicinity of what I would consider a middle class wage.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
it's interesting.

~ 300000 sek ~ 45000 usd

Klarälven represent :

img_0251eeuoj.jpg

Ledsen

it's interesting.

Around 25-30000 SEK/month = 300 000-360 000 SEK/year = $45-55000/year -33% income tax = ~$30-36000/year, but that doesn't really tell you much since you have to take into account fluctuating exchange rates, the fact that we have free education and health care (and thus a larger percent of our salary as disposable income) etc.

Corky

I am from Skåne, the southernmost part of Sweden. So, basically I am danish. :D

Swe-gaf should put our collective skills together and redo that Bugs Bunny gif, but instead of cutting away Florida... well, you get what I'm saying...

<3 skäääööååneeehh <3

zon

Will be interesting to see how many Swedes Neo-gaf has lured into its clutches...

Skövde-gaf representing!

Alldeles för många.

I'm from Scania, so do I get to double dip?

I am from Skåne, the southernmost part of Sweden. So, basically I am danish. :D

Men åtminstone finns det två rediga pågar här!

To all you foreigners, bow down to Swedish music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USh-6hYJ8YM
lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Swe-gaf should put our collective skills together and redo that Bugs Bunny gif, but instead of cutting away Florida... well, you get what I'm saying...

<3 skäääööååneeehh <3

This. Let it drift off to Denmark, who cares!

;)

It's probably a bit higher than that now, but definitely not as high as 35 000 SEK for the average person.
I guess that kind of depends on where you live, though. My mum works half time in eldercare and my father works as a programmer with a pay around 32k/month. We live in a quite small town and I'd say we're a bit over average. I guess it helps a bit that I doesn't live at home anymore, though.

I'm planning on moving to Skövde next fall. How's the housing situation there now? Getting an apartment when starting to study can be such a hassle.

Put yourself in a housing queue now, if you haven't already.

Drencrom

Äntligen. Now we only need a Norrland-GAF thread ;)

Norrland-GAF |OT| När du vill vara dig själv för en stund

Northland-GAF |OT| Why not be yourself for a moment

<3 skäääööååneeehh <3

Well, we do have "gräv bort skåne"...

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Skåne. My dad's from Skåne but moved at age five, so techically that makes me half-Skånish... uh... half-skånsk? half-scone?

EDIT: I have some spare time. I'm making that gif.

Corky

Gött med lite skitsnack. Gbg ftw. Though moved abroad 6 years ago I try and visit home once a year or so.

Well.. don't blueball me tell us where you went! Where could you possibly go and find a better country than Sweden? Where I asks ya?

RivalCore

I've been to Västerås and Stockholm. Lovely country, cripplingly expensive but the girls are beautiful and particularly nice.

But maaaan, fuck those prices.

Nesotenso

Trollhättan represent! Please don't ask about SAAB going bankrupt :(

Average monthly salary (with all jobs, genders, ages etc included) for 2011 was 29000 SEK (~4355 USD). Median monthly salary was 25900 SEK (~3889 USD) which is in the vicinity of what I would consider a middle class wage.

is it possible possible build lifetime of substantial savings into retirement ? As a foreigner my perception ( which can be wrong, if so point it out) is that it's an expensive place. True for locals as well ?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yeah, you guys are rich.

So, what keeps Sweden in such a good shape? What industries do you have?

Drencrom

A Scandinavia OT would have been better imo.

En sak jag undrat, heter du verkligen Kjellson med ett s?

Har själv med två s så ;)

<3 skäääööååneeehh <3

We'll have Bamse digging Skåne loose instead.

is it possible possible build lifetime of substantial savings into retirement ? As a foreigner my perception ( which can be wrong, if so point it out) is that it's an expensive place. True for locals as well ?

You don't really need to save up stuff for retirement, a percentage of your paycheck is taken by the government and put towards savings to be used later and even if you are dirt-poor the government will still provide for you. Sure, pensioners usually complain about not getting enough money, but it sounds expensive because the Swedish krona is really strong at the moment.

Girsej

I'm planning on moving to Skövde next fall. How's the housing situation there now? Getting an apartment when starting to study can be such a hassle.

Well, it depends. You should really be member at skovdebostader.se and build up your points, but you could also try your luck on the private market... although they seem to not be that fond of students. I managed to snag a 2:a through HSB but I think I managed to do so since I'm currently working but I'm going to study this fall ;)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well.. don't blueball me tell us where you went! Where could you possibly go and find a better country than Sweden? Where I asks ya?
Can't replace Sweden tbh. Went to Paris for close to 3 years, enough to really "appreciate" the backwards taxation system of France and then to Ireland. All in the name of work, very good work mind you.

Thank god for swedishfoodshop.com though I tell you. Recently discovered it and I now have jättesalt och oboy o skit igen. Helt grymt.

Corky

Yeah, you guys are rich.

So, what keeps Sweden in such a good shape? What industries do you have?

The world leading manufacturer of ballbearings and miniature wooden horses.

Can't replace Sweden tbh. Went to Paris for close to 3 years, enough to really "appreciate" the backwards taxation system of France and then to Ireland. All in the name of work, very good work mind you.

Thank god for swedishfoodshop.com though I tell you. Recently discovered it and I now have jättesalt och oboy o skit igen. Helt grymt.

I hear ya, Swedish candy is good enough to bring Odysseus himself back from the other side of the world.

Nesotenso

You don't really need to save up stuff for retirement, a percentage of your paycheck is taken by the government and put towards savings to be used later and even if you are dirt-poor the government will still provide for you. Sure, pensioners usually complain about not getting enough money, but it sounds expensive because the Swedish krona is really strong at the moment.

Going by the OP healthcare and education is free but seems to be offset by high income tax ? What would be the rate for someone earning the median income ?

Ledsen

The money you get from the government is probably about 1/2 or so of what your salary was, so I'd say saving up some for yourself (in retirement funds or whatever) is pretty mandatory if you want a comfortable retirement.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sweden has the worlds greatest tap water as well. Luxury shit compared to mainland Europe and elsewhere in my experience.

Natetan

Hi Sweden gaf :)

My moms side is Swedish and Norwegian. Always been proud of that.

I went through Scandinavia a couple years ago. The overnight ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm and then took the super nice X2000 train or whatever to Copenhagen. Not the fastest train but it was beautiful. The scenery on that ride was also very nice. I took the night train from malmo to Berlin was pretty nice the train goes into a ship!

I don't know if I could live in Sweden though. The weather is a bit cold, and the super long short days would drive me crazy I think.

nubbe

I can save about 10k a month, but I don't smoke or drink

Metropolitan areas are expensive but the suburbs are cheaper since the peasants work and live there

Forsete

Our generation will have a hard time living on our future pensions. There should be no illusions regarding this. So be prepared and start saving on our own asap. I'm 28 and I have already started saving.

Swedish citizens were robbed by our government during the 90ies crisis. Huge amounts of pension money was used. Look it up yourself. Future generations will pay for that.

Time for bed. :p Godnatt!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hi Sweden gaf :)

My moms side is Swedish and Norwegian. Always been proud of that.

I don't know if I could live in Sweden though. The weather is a bit cold, and the super long short days would drive me crazy I think.
My 'foreign' fiancé freaked out that the sun "never set" (eg. not before 23:00) and rose again at 03:00 during the summer in Gothenburg. Personally though I miss that, especially after having experienced Asian equatorial summer where shit gets dark at 17:00. That's winter patterns right there.

Midnight sun is great too if you further north.

Top Bottom