• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish model gets rape threats after ad shows her unshaved legs

caramac

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...gets-threats-after-ad-shows-her-unshaved-legs

Arvida Byström, who is also a photographer and digital artist, appears in a video and photograph promoting Adidas Originals' Superstar range. Byström, who has described the norm for women to shave as ”fucked", has hairy legs in the images and says she has faced a vicious backlash as a result.

She wrote on Instagram: ”Me being such an abled, white, cis body with its only nonconforming feature being a lil leg hair. Literally I've been getting rape threats in my DM inbox. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to not possess all these privileges and try to exist in the world. Sending love and try to remember that not everybody has the same experiences being a person."

Pic

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
the pic isn't nsfw, lol. It's just a woman with unshaven legs.
Indeed lol. Let me post it:

eTOpnCY.jpg

kmfdmpig

Some people are so ridiculous. A normal reaction might be to think "that's not my preference". Sending hideous threats over something so utterly inconsequential is so bizarre.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Some people are so ridiculous. A normal reaction might be to think "that's not my preference". Sending hideous threats over something so utterly inconsequential is so bizarre.

People are fickle and social media was a mistake.

Kayhan

At this point I think some dudes just get off on sending rape threats.

Seemingly anything can prompt this disgusting behavior.

Actually the pic is NSFW. It shouldn't be, but it is. NSFW simply means there's a chance you can be damaged at work if the wrong person sees it on your screen. Someone may have a really dumb boss. You know, someone who thinks like the people sending her death threats, or posting crude comments. The fact is, I could see someone reacting stupidly enough to that photo that it harms someone at their job. Though I will agree it is unlikely.

The real question is, at what probability do you draw the line between SFW and NSFW?

Actually the pic is NSFW. It shouldn't be, but it is. NSFW simply means there's a chance you can be damaged at work if the wrong person sees it on your screen. Someone may have a really dumb boss. You know, someone who thinks like the people sending her death threats, or posting crude comments. The fact is, I could see someone reacting stupidly enough to that photo that it harms someone at their job. Though I will agree it is unlikely.

The real question is, at what probability do you draw the line between SFW and NSFW?

Yeah, the same could be true about anything.
What if someone with a tentacle fetish saw your avatar?

Volimar

At this point I think some dudes just get off on sending rape threats.

Seemingly anything can prompt this disgusting behavior.

Sad but true. That and death threats. You could make a new type of smoothie and someone would send you threats over it. Too many assholes.

Not

Banned
Get used to leg hair, people. At least for women who want to keep it. The idea that women need to artificially modify their bodies to be beautiful is on its way out. It was only around for a hundred years or so anyway.

Keri

Man, I have bad news for those guys if they ever expect to be a steady relationship: Your wife and/or partner is not going to shave her legs 100% of the time, for the rest of her life. You will be exposed to leg hair on a woman! GASP.

Get used to leg hair, people. At least for women who want to keep it. The idea that women need to artificially modify their bodies to be beautiful is on its way out. It was only around for a hundred years or so anyway.

I will say that once it gets to a certain length I shave it because it's just so itchy at that point, but that's about a year of growth so I suppose it's moot.

TraBuch

Banned
Man, I have bad news for those guys if they ever expect to be a steady relationship: Your wife and/or partner is not going to shave her legs 100% of the time, for the rest of her life. You will be exposed to leg hair on a woman! GASP.
There's leg hair, then there's hairy legs.

YEP

sorry, dudes.

I will say that once it gets to a certain length I shave it because it's just so itchy at that point, but that's about a year of growth so I suppose it's moot.

I hate the feeling against tights. I'll definitely shave when wearing tights. But many times I'd rather be doing something useful, which is literally anything other than taking the time to shave my legs.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So you don't find her attractive because she doesn't shave her legs but you'd rape her? I don't get it.
Anyone who says they'd rape a person is a fucking idiot so no use trying to figure out the thought process of people so incredibly offended by the sight of hairy legs that they'd threaten to rape a woman.

Winter. They get to cover up so there’s going to be leg hair... I like it

Keri

There's leg hair, then there's hairy legs.

Yeah, hairy legs are going to happen for the vast majority of women, not infrequently. Here are some common occasions where women (even the women who regularly shave) skip shaving: It's the week of their period, they're not feeling well, they had to rush their shower, it's cold outside and no one other than their SO is going to see their legs.

All of the above can last a good week, easy.

Poketune

You're implying these cum stains will ever have a good relationship with someone of the opposite sex

Aiustis

I haven't shaved my legs in years. I actually like my leg hair. The fact that having leg hair means certain men will avoid me is a plus tbh

It was never something I did regularly. I like the feeling of waxing my legs but I don't like the hairlessness.

But those people were just looking for reasons to express how terrible they are.

FiggyCal

Banned

Right. If I was at work, I probably wouldn't want a coworker seeing that picture on my phone or computer. But its mostly because its kind of embarrassing.

Z..

That's a bit contradictory, no?

How is this still a thing for some people, by the way? Nothing wrong with body hair.

I hate the feeling against tights. I'll definitely shave when wearing tights. But many times I'd rather be doing something useful, which is literally anything other than taking the time to shave my legs.

I've never really worn that stuff, jeans/shorts and t-shirt for me, but I can understand how that could totally suck!

Even after I've just been soaking in the tub I'm STILL too lazy to shave my legs too! It's just so boring and pointless for the most part.

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah, hairy legs are going to happen for the vast majority of women, not infrequently. Here are some common occasions where women (even the women who regularly shave) skip shaving: It's the week of their period, they're not feeling well, they had to rush their shower, it's cold outside and no one other than their SO is going to see their legs.

All of the above can last a good week, easy.
I realize that. I mean, I don't think finding an abundance of body hair unattractive is some controversial viewpoint, is it? My ex rarely shaved, I dealt with it because we had a lot of fun together, doesn't mean I liked it when I went down on her and got a mouthful of hair.

It's not even a woman-specific thing. I think an abundance of body hair is unattractive whoever you are.

Paracelsus

Actually, I thought the reason for threats was blatantly obvious in the OP

who has described the norm for women to shave as “fucked”

They took this as an emancipation "fuck you, men" kind of thing, and so on.

Top Bottom