• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish model gets rape threats after ad shows her unshaved legs

Drain You

The rape threats are totally disgusting and unacceptable.

While we’re going over the tyrannical oppression that is expecting women to shave their underarms and legs, I want to remind folks that in many retail and customer facing service jobs, for men not having a clean shaven face is grounds for dismissal as part of the dress code. I had a job where a well groomed mustache was the only alternative option to being completely clean shaven. It was also a no tattoo and no bright hair dyes sort of place. Shaving my face every day, heck even every other day, tears my skin up something awful, and I’m the type that has a 5 o clock shadow by 2 in the afternoon.

I agree with you about the rape threats and how its unacceptable, BUT I don't think we face the same situations. I dunno, too tired to talk

Zoe

Is it weird that I find her dress a bit more unsettling than her hairy legs? What the fuck is she wearing? Looks like she dug up a Victorian era princess's corpse and stole her dress.
I think it's the forced perspective that throws off the whole picture. It makes her lower half look disjointed from her top half.

The second picture posted in this thread looks more "normal".

kmax

Some men shave their legs. Some women don't., so I honestly don't understand the outrage from people that attack her.

Stay the fuck away from other people's business. People own their own bodies.

Some men shave their legs. Some women don't., so I honestly don't understand the outrage from people that attack her.

Stay the fuck away from other people's business. People own their own bodies.

They think they are supposed to own that body. That's why they police it

Jumeira

Banned
I think the reverse is happening regarding modern grooming, Men are waxing thier back, sack n cracks, at least thats the house special i opt for every 2 months 0_0

Also chest & arm pits.

Good on her, and shame on the dickheads posting threats.

The internet gives weak minds a platform to project their own inadequacies and self-loathing in the most pathetic and ugly ways.

MrHoot

Absolutely disgusting, as many have already pointed out.

I also made a personal policy in my life, as I tend to enjoy shaved legs myself, but apart from naturally never forcing one to do so, I'll always shave mine as well to be fair (if it's what my partner wants)

I had to stop with my last gf because she was annoyed that my legs were too pretty ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The thread is about a woman getting rape threats for simply showing heir unshaven legs and half the posts here are dudes having a never-ending conversation about how okay or not okay they are with hairy legs.

Fuckin' christ you people lol

MrHoot

The thread is about a woman getting rape threats for simply showing heir unshaven legs and half the posts here are dudes having a never-ending conversation about how okay or not okay they are with hairy legs.

Sorry, didn't mean to come out as insensitive, just wanted to lighten the mood but I can see how it was inappropriate !

Virzeth

Should have been way more obvious there, pal. That it also took you 15 minutes to edit that in doesn't look that good.

hXdSa7T.jpg

KahooTs

Rape threats are obviously heinous and there's little to be said about that.

StayDead

People are so horrible. I personally think she's rocking those unshaven legs. The one thing I've never understood is how women being forced to shave everything off became a thing. There's a reason the body is covered in hair in the first place. Let it all grow naturally!

TheContact

More power to women who don't shave, the whole hair shaming against women is disgusting

It’s definitely a culture thing. Isn’t it France or something where women don’t shave their armpits? But it reminds me of fat shaming—like hundreds years ago if you were skinny you were seen as poor and disgusting because you couldn’t afford to eat and the more you weighed the more attractive you were. Now it’s the opposite for the most part. Just let people fucking be, it’s fucking wrong and selfish to look at someone else based on how they look and want to change that. The rape threats are just these insecure fucks who need to control people.

slider

The photo in the OP offends me. The perspective is so upsetting. Her foot looks huge.

I can't put myself in the heads of people who get so upset with, gosh... I guess everything. Live your fucking lives. Or, rather, fill your empty lives with something more productive.

On the topic, I've never been with a woman who "has hairy legs" and I've never really thought about it with respect to my wife. But you gotto be practical.

N7.Angel

Can't stand women with unshaved legs ( never meet one and doesn't want to ) but sending rape treats is fucking disgusting, what's wrong with people...

Sending rape threats is a criminal offense. That shit is bonkers. If she doesn't want to shave, that should be fine for everybody. But will I find this attractive? nope. huh uh.

holygeesus

Banned
I have great respect for a woman choosing to do whatever with her own body irregardless of the norms society imposes on her - what I find 'odd' is how she has turned it into an art form. eg her book on hairy photos, snaps of nipples and vaginal secretions etc. Natural images such as these shouldn't need their own promotion in a book surely? Does that mean she somehow is producing this work as a form of expression or rebellion? That would imply that she is being non-conformist (as defined by society alone) for attention, which strikes me as strange.

DorkyMohr

Banned
"I'm so turned off by a woman eschewing beauty standards that I'm going to rape her."

Alright psychos, just admit that your "attraction" to women is solely based on the fact that you get off on subjugating them.

I agree. My shoulder and back hair connect with my chest to form a mighty lions mane.

This man knows what's up. My facial hair meets my chest hair (barely) and connects with my back, shoulders, arms, ass, and legs.

I trim but I'll be damned if I'm putting that much effort to get rid of it.

traveler

Not Wario
That is actually an impressive amount of hair. As a near 30 year old man, I've never once shaved my legs and they don't even approach that.

eso76

Actually the pic is NSFW. It shouldn't be, but it is. NSFW simply means there's a chance you can be damaged at work if the wrong person sees it on your screen. Someone may have a really dumb boss. You know, someone who thinks like the people sending her death threats, or posting crude comments. The fact is, I could see someone reacting stupidly enough to that photo that it harms someone at their job. Though I will agree it is unlikely.

The real question is, at what probability do you draw the line between SFW and NSFW?

Eh, then it should be NSFH (H for humanity) and it could apply to almost anything.

What I don't understand is, were the rape threats a "punishment" for her not shaving her legs or generic rape threats to a model ?
Not that it changes things anyway.

Compsiox

Banned
People are fickle and social media was a mistake.

Social media in its current state is definitely a mistake.

There should be a government run facebook where everything isn't manipulated to push an agenda. You would just add friends, chat with friends, see the most popular news and posts, and post pictures and thats it.

_Ryo_

What the fuck!?

Some people are just awful pieces of shit. Sending death threats to someone who doesnt want to always shave their legs and exposes doble standards is just... Those people can fall into a well.

Also, I gotta say from the models quotes about privilege, she seems quite woke. I might become a new fan.

Arcia

Banned
To be fair I've heard it feels great
Gonna try it some time

Feels fine once its done, but goddamn it takes a while and it gets annoying if you have to do it frequently. Shaving all the time can also be rough and damaging if you have sensitive skin. It kinda sucks.

eso76

So I once read Burt Reynolds was asked to shave his chest for a movie because in 1960 it was considered too sexy.
By 1990 tastes had changed, and your chest had to be perfectly smooth to be considered attractive. Heck, a girl once told me in high school I would be "so handsome without chest hair" (and i am not that hairy at all, think Hugh Jackman chest hair -and chest hair only-).
These days things have changed again and i know a lot of women who prefer a little chest hair and loathe shaven chests.

I am all for women not shaving. Not that i personally like it, but maybe if women stopped shaving their legs long enough people would probably grow to accept that and those artificial standards we created would drop and women would break free from this shaving slavery.
Because man, that must suck.
I think tastes can and do change, so props to Adidas and her for trying to change things.

andthebeatgoeson

the fact that anybody would even consider that pic NSFW shows how far we have to go
Some people have higher standards about what they want their boss knowing they look at.

If she was in a bikini, i would hesitate. I'm glad OP put it behind a link and not just throw the picture up. This has nothing to do with her legs and is probably a general sentiment about anxiety over job security in America. Haven't been fired but I'm not trying to. Especially because i love my job.

In general, on this board, we should be more aware about how people feel. Just because people aren't raising hell about it doesn't mean that people are not worried. GAF has had a long, more progressive history for a discussion board but i don't think we have a complete understanding of what people feel comfortable viewing at work. Just because they are not naked doesn't mean people feel safe looking at it at work. 'At work' means I'm assuming someone is monitoring. In an 'at-will' state, that monitoring could have consequences.

It seems conscientious that people may hide a pic and let people decide to click on instead of popping up. And if they do any link shenanigans, let the mods sort it out. What's wrong with a link and a warning?

grumble

Get used to leg hair, people. At least for women who want to keep it. The idea that women need to artificially modify their bodies to be beautiful is on its way out. It was only around for a hundred years or so anyway.

That isn't even remotely true. Women have been modifying their bodies and putting themselves into uncomfortable clothing for aesthetic reasons for all of recorded history.

andthebeatgoeson

Maybe these people shouldn't browse internet forums or facebook at work
Or, you know, some people can not feel offended you have to click a link to see the same photos. That's like a weird regulation for every worker.

For some, it's work devices they use. But people usually don't want to go any extra length. They spend hours and hours helping their friends level up or loot online or jumping up the same wall to find a short cut but putting boobies behind a link is just a little too far.

'I've reached my limit. I should be able to quickly look at this female with no pants on and a tastefully angled picture to suggest underboob. It's not actual boob but a suggestion. Plz, don't make me wait. Don't make me click.'

caramac

Some people have higher standards about what they want their boss knowing they look at.

If she was in a bikini, i would hesitate. I'm glad OP put it behind a link and not just throw the picture up. This has nothing to do with her legs and is probably a general sentiment about anxiety over job security in America. Haven't been fired but I'm not trying to. Especially because i love my job.

In general, on this board, we should be more aware about how people feel. Just because people aren't raising hell about it doesn't mean that people are not worried. GAF has had a long, more progressive history for a discussion board but i don't think we have a complete understanding of what people feel comfortable viewing at work. Just because they are not naked doesn't mean people feel safe looking at it at work. 'At work' means I'm assuming someone is monitoring. In an 'at-will' state, that monitoring could have consequences.

It seems conscientious that people may hide a pic and let people decide to click on instead of popping up. And if they do any link shenanigans, let the mods sort it out. What's wrong with a link and a warning?

Nice one, thats the reason I put the image behind a link and also to protect my account on here. The image itself doesn't bother me in the slightest but that might not be the case with everyone.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Just dont click on this thread when you worry so much

Number_6

Let her not shave if she wants, jeez.

It's not many men's preference, but A) fuck em, and B) that's because they're conditioned that way.

If women had never shaved their legs, nobody would give a shit.

andthebeatgoeson

Just dont click on this thread when you worry so much
Yeah, if anything, I've learned being conscientious is too hard for many. We probably shouldn't have progressed in the first place. Let's go back to the times of 10 years ago when we frequently had boob threads every other week, threw around gay slurs, and a few other things.

'Just don't participate'. Is that really your best input? A thread about a woman getting death threats over a benign picture and you pull that one out? That seems like fascinating logic. The topic is a big issue that is not changed that much whether you click a link or the picture is right on the page. If you walk in this thread, you consent to everything done to you, is your logic and it doesn't make sense.

RangerX

Banned
How sad must you be to attack a woman over not shaving their legs. They must have nothing else going on in their lives.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, if anything, I've learned being conscientious is too hard for many. We probably shouldn't have progressed in the first place. Let's go back to the times of 10 years ago when we frequently had boob threads every other week, threw around gay slurs, and a few other things.

'Just don't participate'. Is that really your best input? A thread about a woman getting death threats over a benign picture and you pull that one out? That seems like fascinating logic. The topic is a big issue that is not changed that much whether you click a link or the picture is right on the page. If you walk in this thread, you consent to everything done to you, is your logic and it doesn't make sense.
Eh, no, no reason overreact, but if you worry that your boss monitors your internet use at work, dont you think you should stay away from Neogaf at the first place?

eso76

Dude, the point is when I click on a link saying nsfw I expect to see naked ladies or men or at the very least suggestive images.
There was nothing there and we disappointed !
/S

But seriously, he's not saying one shouldn't participate, he's just saying (and I agree) that if that pic could cause issues with your boss should he/she see it on your screen, then you shouldn't be browsing neogaf at work in first place because there's absolutely nothing about that particular pic that makes it any less safe for work than..anything, really. Any anime pic, any videogame screenshot, any picture really is as safe as the one in the OP.
If your boss or whoever has a problem with it, then they have a problem with you browsing internet at work, which btw is totally understandable.

Top Bottom