• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweet Fuse: At Your Side |OT| Keiji Inafune wants to help you get laid

pariah164

I just went with
Mikami
for my 2nd playthrough so I can't speak for that, but my experience in the 3rd and subsequent was that
any subsequent interaction will be missed if you choose the first response when first bumping into him
Um...

For me, it was the second response that locked me into the route: "It was a present." Asking, "Do you know him?" or whatever the first option was let you stay off the path. I accidentally locked into his route, hence why I did it second.

Um...

For me, it was the second response that locked me into the route: "It was a present." Asking, "Do you know him?" or whatever the first option was let you stay off the path. I accidentally locked into his route, hence why I did it second.
Hmm, well I decided I'm gonna get that route over with now anyway so I'll just go with it.

Then I can get back to who I like.

apricot

Probably, though it might just backfire. Those who bought them for the romantic content might be disappointed, and most of the rest won't bother because they've been tagged as 'otome', as in 'dating sims for girls'.

Just to clarify (as someone who plays a lot of otome games), there *is* a difference between an otome visual novel, which is more what Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse are, and an otome dating sim (though they're all generally just called "otome games" in Japan). Sounds like you'd prefer something like the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side series or Angelique, where there's stat management and that kind of thing, but unfortunately I have a feeling those are considered more "hardcore" otome games and probably wouldn't sell as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Angelique/Girl's Side wouldn't sell a lick here (shame about Girl's Side, though, hm). Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse are decent attempts of bringing the otome genre over here that wouldn't be too saccharine for some. With that said, I'm still eh on Sweet Fuse but that's moreso because I really don't feel like the game itself is cohesive.

Hours Left, I finished Shidou's route.
Mikami's route
, Mitarashi's route, and Shirabe's route. Kinda putting the game off right now because a friend and I are going through Luigi's Mansion 2 and Dream Team together.

I ended up turning the voices off which sped things up, and made things less jarring for me. Overall, the dialogue's fine this way. Mitarashi probably got a bit of retooling, but the character ends up being better for it in the end, and provides a nice case of comic relief. Localization's good as expected from an Aksys game.

I still find that the game itself suffers from an identity crisis and that's truly at the core of what's putting me off of it. I get irritated whenever I get to one of the challenges and I start thinking that it would flow better and much faster if it had been in a completely different genre. The genre format chosen for this game, and what the game attempts to do, really don't mesh well together. Everything's so slow this way. And I've said my bits about the Insight nonsense already.

Thanks Schala, if you decide to write a full review like you did with Hakuoki, I'll link it in the OP.

Still chugging along on my second route and enjoying the game immensely. (Even though I'm going after someone I don't particularly care for.) The strongest aspect of the game for me is definitely the characters, and the look and feel of the game.

I almost wish this would get a reverse 999 treatment though. In the way that 999 had it's puzzles removed for the iOS version, any re-release of this game should have puzzles and action sequences added in to really make use of the setting and the story.

Raggie

Just to clarify (as someone who plays a lot of otome games), there *is* a difference between an otome visual novel, which is more what Hakuoki and Sweet Fuse are, and an otome dating sim (though they're all generally just called "otome games" in Japan). Sounds like you'd prefer something like the Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side series or Angelique, where there's stat management and that kind of thing, but unfortunately I have a feeling those are considered more "hardcore" otome games and probably wouldn't sell as well.

You misunderstand me, I just lament the fact that most people have the wrong impression about these titles. 'Otome' doesn't automatically mean romantic fluff.

Once something is labeled otome, it gets ghettoized as a 'dating sim for fat girs' regardless of the contents. Say, enjoying Hakuoki takes more interest in Japanese history, reading, and supernatural horror (and some tolerance for gore) rather than in romance. It gets frustrating when people get interested reading about it in threads, until someone comes in and says: "guys, you do realize this is a dating sim for girls?" and that's when the discussion dies.

Not only the term 'dating sim' is being misused but it also has a sort of weird, sinister image, like playing one is just one step away from having a fake wedding with your waifu. Kinda like the mainstream media's image of gamers is that playing a shooter is a gateway drug for real-life violence.

Ugh, I do not care for
Mikami's route
at all so far. It's totally obvious what's coming too.

Gotta power through to get back to everyone else. Even Towa is looking much better right now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dating sim for fat girls?

What.
KuGsj.gif

If people think that then they're utterly mistaken and clearly weren't probably that interested in these games in the first place. Unfortunate, but that was probably the case. Kinda unfortunate because I've played a lot of visual novels intended for male audiences and I just really don't feel weird or awkward about it. *shrug*

Sera O

Banned
Um...

Yes, which is why I said
choosing the first response lets you skip all further interaction with that guy. Second gets a heart
which means you're forced to give up some options after the events of day 1.

Mikami wearing his dead mom's perfume...

Yikes. O_O

Yeahhh, that's not the best sign is it? lol

Yeah, definitely glad I'm done with that route. I appreciated all the new story info, but everything else was really bleh. (The "bad ending" is super gross.) I understand it's inclusion though.

Now back to the men! :D

Raggie

Dating sim for fat girls?

What.
KuGsj.gif

If people think that then they're utterly mistaken and clearly weren't probably that interested in these games in the first place.

Nope, I've seen threads where people have expressed interest and even enthusiasm up until someone says ' it's a dating sim for girls'. After that it doesn't mean what you say about it, it's become a joke.

Just finished Ayumu's route. It certainly went into a direction I wasn't expecting, but I liked it. I definitely missed
going through the themed puzzles, though, and interacting as a group. Also, that Hogstein tease of an ending... gah. That's the most interesting part of the game and it wasn't unveiled completely. I can totally see why, but, damn. I really wanted to know who he was and get a better answer as to why he was doing what he was.

Now to decide who to betray my husbando with. Shidou, Mitarashi, or Urabe, probably. AYUMU FOR LIFE, THOUGH. I really liked his route. Mainly because it seemed to hit close to home with some of Ayumu's traits. I knew he'd be the perfect character just from his short bio and design :p Again, I was smiling like an idiot up to the point where they
finally kiss and I'm pretty sure I was "kyaaaa"ing internally. I should end myself for that reaction.
Maybe otome games aren't for me </3

Hours Left, that's not how to spoiler properly. Lead into them, man! I feel like I want to take the chance to trip the mines, but then I don't. "Maybe it's something irrelevant." BUT WHO KNOWS.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Almost done. I start school soon, so I won't post something substantial until later.

I'd like to comment that I like the localization a lot. Certain things are kept faithful (ie: people calling each other by their first names if they're familiar with each other), while other changes are for the best.

I'm loving Sweet Fuse so far!
Also, I found some reviews.

Reviews
RPGFan: 85/100
Blistered Thumbs: 7/10
Hardcore Gamer: 4/5
Cinema Blend: 4/5
Technologytell: A-
Thanks for these, adding to the OP.

Edit:
Ah, these are some great reviews. They all really make the point of saying how accessible and immediately enjoyable the game is. Awesome. :D

Now to decide who to betray my husbando with. Shidou, Mitarashi, or Urabe, probably. AYUMU FOR LIFE, THOUGH. I really liked his route. Mainly because it seemed to hit close to home with some of Ayumu's traits. I knew he'd be the perfect character just from his short bio and design :p Again, I was smiling like an idiot up to the point where they
finally kiss and I'm pretty sure I was "kyaaaa"ing internally. I should end myself for that reaction.
Maybe otome games aren't for me </3

Hours Left, that's not how to spoiler properly. Lead into them, man! I feel like I want to take the chance to trip the mines, but then I don't. "Maybe it's something irrelevant." BUT WHO KNOWS.
Mitarashi! He is the best husbando. Everything about him is perfect.

Also, don't highlight the spoiler. It's horrible!!!

After much thought, I think I'm going to try Urabe next. Of course, that was before I watched the intro, finally, and saw something that made me go, "Wat."

Then I started a new game and read-skipped and then went "wat" again.

And now everything seems less mysterious.

Oh, and whenever Hogstein's theme plays I always check to see if my phone vibrated. Anyone else that plays with ear buds do the same?

antibolo

Banned
Just received my retail copy from amazon.ca.

Buying a new UMD in 2013 (and not Japan region) is hilarious.

Yipes, gotta save Uncle Inafune now. I wouldn't want Mighty No.9 to be delayed, now wouldn't I?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I picked the game up last tuesday as soon as gamestop lemme know it was in an just finished it up! Turns out I'm a double failure >_< I was going strongly for Mitarashi but somehow messed that up and ended up having Shirabe pushed onto me. But I even failed that! Didn't get story closure or even see Keiji again and now Saki joins Chizuru in the so ronery club ;_;

pariah164

I picked the game up last tuesday as soon as gamestop lemme know it was in an just finished it up! Turns out I'm a double failure >_< I was going strongly for Mitarashi but somehow messed that up and ended up having Shirabe pushed onto me. But I even failed that! Didn't get story closure or even see Keiji again and now Saki joins Chizuru in the so ronery club ;_;
The rewind feature is a beautiful thing.
If you don't see the little bomb icon that indicates you got an affection boost, go back and choose the other option.

Added another (very positive) review to the OP. :)

I'm so happy to see such a positive response to that game from the media so far. I was really worried that it would get dumped on, or met with a collective "meh'. I hope Aksys is pleased with the response too, and I hope this will be a good sign for even more VN content from them.

pariah164

Added another (very positive) review to the OP. :)

I'm so happy to see such a positive response to that game from the media so far. I was really worried that it would get dumped on, or met with a collective "meh'. I hope Aksys is pleased with the response too, and I hope this will be a good sign for even more VN content from them.
I agree; I want a sequel to this game so very much. Perhaps longer, with more routes, even. It's very hard to play Hakuoki now after playing this, though...

I agree; I want a sequel to this game so very much. Perhaps longer, with more routes, even. It's very hard to play Hakuoki now after playing this, though...
I definitely think this has potential to be a series. The combination of the high stakes life or death situations and the romantic elements work very well together, and they've already nailed the look and feel of the game. (I can't get over how amazing the artwork is, I just love it so much.)

With any future games in the series, I'd like to see a bit more emphasis on the romance (I don't think it's lacking, but they could add in a bit more), and I'd appreciate some more interactivity during the attractions/puzzles.

But if they released another game just like this, I'd still be ecstatic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno about that.

With that said, if they do make another game like this, I really don't want it to be a visual novel at all. I'd rather it be a puzzle-adventure. I'd rather have more agency than the game's currently letting me have.

I dunno about that.

With that said, if they do make another game like this, I really don't want it to be a visual novel at all. I'd rather it be a puzzle-adventure. I'd rather have more agency than the game's currently letting me have.
I knew this game didn't have a big following in Japan, but I'm hoping some US success can bolster interest, in the same way it did for 999.

It's funny that the designs of this game were a big deterrent to the otome fanbase in Japan, yet they are one of the most popular aspects in the English market. I guess that's why so many otome games have extremely similar looking characters, because straying from that formula seems to be a big risk for their Japanese fan base. I'm hoping that the positive reception in North America will help the makers keep the more global market in mind.

I actually think that Aksys should purchase the Sweet Fuse license from Idea Factory.

apricot

Really disappointed to see sites spreading isos of the English version already :/

Oh, Towa Wakasa's name is written incorrectly in the OP! >_< (you've got it as "Mikasa") You may not want to go out of your way to fix the image now, but thought you'd want to know

Really disappointed to see sites spreading isos of the English version already :/
Well, it's a PSP game. It was bound to happen sadly. (I sincerely hope that the Vita and 3DS don't ever reach this situation, but the 3DS seems already on that path...)

I just hope people that play the game realize that strong sales is the best thing we can do to support more games like this.

Oh, Towa Wakasa's name is written incorrectly in the OP! >_< (you've got it as "Mikasa") You may not want to go out of your way to fix the image now, but thought you'd want to know
Oh, good catch, thanks. All the amazing banners were done by pariah164, so I'll contact her and see if she'd be up for fixing it.

cj_iwakura

Getting totally different impressions of the cast so far than what I expected.

The translation definitely takes some liberties(mostly the good kind), but I'm enjoying it so far, and the protagonist is indeed awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That'd be cheating! I dun wanna cheat my way to love!
I kinda see where you're coming from. Especially since the Diary option and save/load options are already there, you know what I mean? If you screw up, you should've screwed up and it should've affected your playthrough provided you didn't save prior to the branching point.

Ah well.

Got my physical copy in the mail today. I wish the pre-order bonus was Kane De Boo instead of the Hogstein insignia.

Now to place it in a place of reverence. :)

cj_iwakura

Necklace is a lot nicer than I expected, I use it for my cross too.

It's certainly a refreshing change to have a female protagonist being the only intelligent person surrounded by a plethora of absolutely moronic guys.
(Almost done with Day 3.)

Necklace is a lot nicer than I expected, I use it for my cross too.

It's certainly a refreshing change to have a female protagonist being the only intelligent person surrounded by a plethora of absolutely moronic guys.
(Almost done with Day 3.)
Your about to see your first major branching point. I hope you've been buttering up the guy you like best.

Top Bottom