• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

Or maybe they just have more time for stuff with a portable. That's certainly the case for me, older console/PC versions of a game are pretty meaningless to me when I only really play games on my commute these days. I could play some of them on my laptop, but seeing as I even watch more TV on my tablet than my telly these days, convenience gives media a new burst of life for some people. Since my daughter was born I think I've played games on something attached to a tv/monitor about three times.

A lot of the general Switch hype looks like busy adults rediscovering how convenient modern portables are.

Switch is great for those of us with families.

Tunavi

Banned
The Switch is my dream console come true.

Also the portability makes it so easy to bring to party's making multiplayer games a more attractive thing for me. Not really a MarioKart fan but I brought it to a hang out and it was an absolute blast.

Being able to play on my bed or desk or TV is incredible. So yeah, any chance I get to buy software for this thing I tend to make an exception
It's my dream come true as well. I've always loved Nintendo handhelds but I felt having a Nintendo console and handheld was too redunant and costly

muu

Or maybe they just have more time for stuff with a portable. That's certainly the case for me, older console/PC versions of a game are pretty meaningless to me when I only really play games on my commute these days. I could play some of them on my laptop, but seeing as I even watch more TV on my tablet than my telly these days, convenience gives media a new burst of life for some people. Since my daughter was born I think I've played games on something attached to a tv/monitor about three times.

A lot of the general Switch hype looks like busy adults rediscovering how convenient modern portables are.

The first few months while they weren't sleeping I played all night trying to get my daughter to sleep while she's hanging on a body wrap. After that, whatever game I played was either on a portable or phone. I agree that the Vita would have been a decent choice, but I just couldn't shake off the feeling that all I'd get would be indies and halfass efforts.

2017 has been murder to my wallet...

The Switch was just a bonus. A lot of great games came out and are coming out and I am building another PC.

I do enjoy the smaller indie titles coming out for the Switch as well. graceful explosion is absolutely brilliant.

Malice215

The Switch has been killing my wallet also. I wasn't expecting to love the system this much to the point where I haven't touched my other consoles. It has what I loved about the Wii U and the Vita without the bungling or proprietary bs.

People kill the Switch for its ports, but having BotW and MK8D that I can play from anywhere from a convenient portable has been huge since I don't have the time to sit in front of a console anymore. I barely touched MK8 on the Wii U and have already put more time into it on the Switch, so the convenience has been a huge plus.

I also don't understand the negativity towards people who are happy about the Switch with all the threads about the PS4 from people showing their excitement. Right now is a great time for gaming all around. Enjoy it.

ghibli99

Yep, same here. Pro Controller is my only accessory, but it's so worth it IMO. Zelda (bought it for a second time after selling my Wii U copy), MK8D, Isaac, and PPT on the physical side. Kamiko, GEM, and Thumper digitally. There are others I've been eyeing as well (Tumbleseed, Snipperclips, etc.), and have Cave Story preordered. It's been out for what, a little over two months now?, and I already have a backlog. That's pretty impressive to me, and I was a pretty vocal detractor of it back in January.

They conveniently ignore that of course. Doesn't count because it has no direct competitor and is not part of teh console warz.
That and the Wii also had some good years early on and the DS was an absolute beast. Oh well, it's no biggie. Best to just enjoy your system then worry about others hating on it. Gaming is best when you just do that and I know I'll have a great time with the PS4 and Switch this year. So many games, man

I don't buy a lot of games but I have BOTW, MK8D, Blaster Master 0 and I'll be picking up Disgaea 5 next week. For a new system, this is a lot of games for me in just two months of owning this console

PSFan

Switch is great for those of us with families.

I'm amazed at how many people like you can afford the latest video game console and yet only seem to afford to have only one TV in the house. There's 5 TVs in my household.

I work a full time job too, and always find time to game on my TV or a handheld, whatever I feel like doing at the time.

Wamb0wneD

That and the Wii also had some good years early on and the DS was an absolute beast. Oh well, it's no biggie. Best to just enjoy your system then worry about others hating on it. Gaming is best when you just do that and I know I'll have a great time with the PS4 and Switch this year. So many games, man

Yeah that's why i said almost a decade haha. Early Wii days were awsome. If i had the cash i would immediately buy a PS4 just for stuff like The Last Guardian, Horizon, Persona 5, Nier or Spiderman and GoW in the future. Wouldn't even need the online subscription. Have fun with the good stuff! I have a feeling this E3 is going to be nuts. :D

Yeah that's why i said almost a decade haha. Early Wii days were awsome. If i had the cash i would immediately buy a PS4 just for stuff like The Last Guardian, Horizon, Persona 5, Nier or Spiderman and GoW in the future. Wouldn't even need the online subscription. Have fun with the good stuff! I have a feeling this E3 is going to be nuts. :D
You totally should when you can. They're not too expensive, especially after a few price drops, and usually come bundled with a game. Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to E3 too. Wanna see what else the PS4 and Switch have for the year. Maybe even some of what will be announced for the 3DS

Honestly, some of the games listed in the OP... I wouldn't even think about paying full price. Thats Bomberman, Puyo Puyo and Street Fighter 2. Those are games that should be cheaper in my opinion.

If I had a Switch, it would definitely be my go to for indie games. Portable AND full sized use. Thats super appealing for these games. When I do get a Switch, I'll be all in for that approach!

I look at the game line up though, and it doesn't seem super strong yet for me... Especially with so many heavy hitters launching in 2017 on other systems. Sure, "launch window" and all that, but I like to look at gaming holistically (which is why I very rarely buy consoles at/near launch!). If I didn't own a Wii U, that changes things immensely because Zelda and Mario Kart are super strong titles.

Just over the last couple of days the actual prospect of getting a Switch has seemed exciting... Because one of my good friends as work mentioned it... If he gets one, we could be playing multiplayer Mario Kart daily. If the console really catches on then the portable system link dream with multiple people might actually be viable. Now THAT excites me. But... I'm doing my best not to think about that for now, and trying to just go and work through some of the dozens of titles that are clogging up my backlog!

Cerium

Honestly, some of the games listed in the OP... I wouldn't even think about paying full price. Thats Bomberman, Puyo Puyo and Street Fighter 2. Those are games that should be cheaper in my opinion.

If you don't think Puyo Puyo is worth $30 you haven't played it. It's incredibly feature rich and I've put more time into it than any Switch game except Zelda.

Wamb0wneD

You totally should when you can. They're not too expensive, especially after a few price drops, and usually come bundled with a game. Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to E3 too. Wanna see what else the PS4 and Switch have for the year. Maybe even some of what will be announced for the 3DS

I saw a white PS4 slim for like 200 € with a second controller one day before the Switch launched lol. Looked delicious. I was waiting for Zelda way too long to cave in then, tho. Maybe I have saved up enough by the time christmas deals are imminent.

I purchased a Mario kart bundle and preorderd with pay pal I got Zelda and Mario kart. I have had my switch for 3 weeks now and still haven't been billed for it. I check every day for the charge to hit but nothing yet so fingers crossed for a free switch 🤞.

oSoLucky

Besides MK8D and BotW, all the games that I want on Switch are priced much higher than I'm willing to pay. That said, only Bomberman and Setsuna interest me in the slightest, and they would both need to be about half of what they're charging for me to buy in. I just talked myself out of getting Disgaea(since I have 280hrs in the PS4 version). I'm hoping for something exciting come E3. The only games that interest me the rest of the year are SMO, Rime and Xenoblade, which may not make it.

I'm very much in love with the hardware, but the software is very meh IMO. I'm definitely eyeing those yellow joycons.

Nesther

Would've killed my wallet but I basically got my Switch for free, as my retailer mistakenly refunded me the Zelda bundle I bought, after I sent it in for repairs. Felt good.

I saw a white PS4 slim for like 200 € with a second controller one day before the Switch launched lol. Looked delicious. I was waiting for Zelda way too long to cave in then, tho. Maybe I have saved up enough by the time christmas deals are imminent.
€200?! Damn, that's practically a steal. I can't say I blame you for holding off though; I was hyped as hell for BOTW too and man did it live up to it

Oh yeah, there should be some good deals during Holidays. The system will be like 4 years old by then so you should have a blast with all of the games it has now

Really, in all honesty, this past year has been killing it

sense

I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

Well said. Pretty much my feeling lately.

You should return the money, dude.

Lol no way who cares if some huge corporation is out a few hundred bucks. My paypal was credited and never billed again for my switch and its been 3 weeks since it arrived and I'm not calling no one. Maybe I'll buy the over priced pro controler.

I still only bought zelda. Don't get me wrong, love the system but....yeah. Waiting for stardew valley and then I guess mario. Xenoblade if that comes out.

I'm amazed at how many people like you can afford the latest video game console and yet only seem to afford to have only one TV in the house. There's 5 TVs in my household.

I work a full time job too, and always find time to game on my TV or a handheld, whatever I feel like doing at the time.

Who said I only have one TV? I have several including a seperate gaming room with several TV's and systems. That said sometimes I want to be able to sit on my couch while my wife and kids watch TV or whatever. With the Switch I can easily dock/undock it, sit and visit with them, game, without having to take go to a different room. Sorry I find value in that.

I'm in a weird case where I want like 5 eShop games...but I'm waiting for an eshop card sale?
Might cave and buy something when summer starts, though. Thumper and Mr. Shifty seem fun

Turrican3

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.
We have golden topics like "the dock will INEVITABLY scratch your screen" (spoiler: it won't) and people port beg all the time and/or wish for Nintendo to go third party every other day (not literally, but you get the point), I'd say it goes both ways.

Switch is a great system, innovative in its own way if you want, and it seems like it's going to be a successful product after the huge failure, both conceptually and commercially that was the WiiU.

Seeing people actively expressing happiness and/or hoping for the best about this doesn't seem *that* weird to me, considering what happened during the last 5 years or so.

The only other games I'm looking forward to this year are all Switch games.

That's suspicious. Must be that 'blind bliss'. I can say this much for sure, though: whatever you were before, you're just a 'Nintendo Fan' now.

I mean, you posted in a Switch thread, and you clearly like the Switch. That means you're obviously a 'Nintendo fan', with a narrative to push.

I'm doing it right?

sleepnaught

Meanwhile, I have Botw and MK8D, but am basically going to be glumly staring at the system until Mario launches because I've already played everything else released a couple of years ago >.<
Same, just passing the time with Mario Kart over and over until the end of the year. Hope ARMS delivers or else this thing will be collecting dust for a long while.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The only other games I'm looking forward to this year are all Switch games.
I mostly feel the same, but that's only because I generally only want to play games on Switch because of portability. I felt the same way about Vita. I would often have the "yeah that game looks good but I cant play it on a portable so whatever. HEY LOOK NEW VITA GAME MUST BUY!!!!" feeling. Switch is basically the same for me. Portability juat suits my lifestyle these days. I just don't get that much time or have the desire to sit down and play a game on my tv.

Usobuko

Banned
MK and Zelda are ports available on Wii U which I owned but just like Persona 5 because they have best version on the newer hardware, I will see them as reasons to buy the system.

Then again, I have not bought a PS4 yet. Given a choice, I would pick one before Switch.

Arms and Splatoon are appealing here however I am more of a single-player game these days. My multiplayer itch is more scratch by Dota 2 and MMOs.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My plan so far has been to stick with the big Nintendo titles: Zelda, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey this year. ARMS and Xenoblade 2 if they tickle my fancy.

Had to resist the temptation to pick up Binding of Isaac, Bomberman and Puyo Tetris on multiple occasions but Im refraining due to my backlog.

I can see why some would splurge though, its a fantastic lil piece of hardware, minor issues aside.

I have a full time job and a lot of tvs. But the switch let's me game how I want all the time with one system. This opens up more gaming time. For me I got extra hours gaming a few ways. Flying,road trip, waiting rooms, lunch breaks, dog park, and chilling with the family as they watch tv. It's makes things easy.

Bomberman is 45€, PPT 40€, and USF2 is 35€. Hardly full prices.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is on my short list for GOTY up to this point. It's a very gamey game you know.

CANLI

One thing is sure is that indies better release their games this year. The percentage digital sales has steadily increased with the Switch.
And we need original games which use a lot of HD rumble. They shouldn't release their game without it. And don't forget languages as French, German or Spanish. Disgaea 5 is a good example. A lot of french/Belgian will buy this game.

Nintendo better add a score option on eshop + search/visual facilities for all games.

PS : just bought Tumbleseed

BizzyBum

One of the reasons I go physical release whenever possible. Sure a 200GB card might be fine now but at the rate I'm buying games for this thing it will eventually get full and fast.

Still not one game that warrants a purchase for me (I have a Wii U). Waiting for Xenoblade 3 and maybe Mario. I hope for a nice bundle around Christmas.

nelchaar

Finally got one on Thursday after I randomly saw one on Amazon (red blue FTW!). Man do I love this piece of tech. The screen is gorgeous. That being said, it looks pretty bad on my 4K 43' tv. Then again I sit pretty close. They really need to bump up the menu resolution to 1080p.

Bomberman is 45€, PPT 40€, and USF2 is 35€. Hardly full prices.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is on my short list for GOTY up to this point. It's a very gamey game you know.

Bomberman is $89 dollars here (Australia). Street Fighter and Puyo are $59.

The last game I bought here was Yakuza 0 for $59 the week it came out. Before that, Titanfall 2 for $29, and Dishonored 2 for $39 the day it released. So yeah... Those games are kind of expensive...

Top Bottom