• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch: Buy Sonic Mania for EUR9.97 / USD11.70 on the Russian eShop

Shiggy

Guess this is worth its own thread considering many still want the game. Sonic Mania is available for RUB699 on the Russian eShop, which makes EUR9.97 / USD11.70. On local eShops it's EUR19.99 and USD19.99, so it's just half the price for those paying in Euros. It's the same version as on the European store, and thus features all languages including Japanese and English.

How to make the purchase?
Either create a new account and set Russia as the country, or change the country in your Nintendo Account settings for the purchase, and then change it back afterwards. Once Russia is set as the country, you can make the purchase on here: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Spiele/Nintendo-Switch-Download-Software/Sonic-Mania-1174779.html

Does my news feed get spammed with Russian news?
From my experience, this doesn't happen when you change your account country just for the purchase and then switch it back immediately after that.

It's also just RUB699 on the Russian Xbox Store and Russian PSN Store.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
If you buy a game like this does it update normally without having to log into the Russian account?

TI82

Banned
Heard the switch version has some weird glitches? Is it still good and playable? If so I'll cancel my PC pre-order and get this.

I hear people doing this a lot. I assume it's legal, right?
Already bought the game so I can't really take advantage of the offer, but would all games be cheaper there?
Heard the switch version has some weird glitches? Is it still good and playable? If so I'll cancel my PC pre-order and get this.
Yes, it's good.

tenor.gif

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Done, thanks OP. Slightly worried about putting card info in without understanding the language, but hopefully it worked out!

Perfectly playable, just a small bug with the screenshot capture button and home button, with a patch already in the works.

I remember several years back there was a big exploit where you could download games for Wii U from the Russian e-Shop for a fraction of the price. There was a massive thread about it here. I jumped on it, and downloaded tons of games, including full retail games, DD-only games, and Virtual Console. Nintendo closed the loophole after a bit, but there were absolutely no ramifications for having taken advantage of it.

Malakai

I remember several years back there was a big exploit where you could download games for Wii U from the Russian e-Shop for a fraction of the price. There was a massive thread about it here. I jumped on it, and downloaded tons of games, including full retail games, DD-only games, and Virtual Console. Nintendo closed the loophole after a bit, but there were absolutely no ramifications for having taken advantage of it.

Was this for only European Wii U, because I thought the Wii U was region locked.

They should know better than to have any huge pricing differences.

Still we always wanted Nintendo to have a Region Free console.
And this is how we use it. I'm guessing none of us will complain if they start locking up regions again in the future.

maxcriden

Important note: I believe if you change your existing account to another country you lose the funds you have in your existing account/region, and don't get them back, so it's safer to make a new account in that case.

BTW, this site is really good for seeing lowest region prices on Switch:

https://eshop.stephann.me

(Well, I was under impression it was, at least - for Mania it's not showing the Russia price, I wonder why.)

Shiggy

Was this for only European Wii U, because I thought the Wii U was region locked.

Russia gets the same systems as Europe. Thus you could create a Russian NNID on your Wii U. Game prices on the Russian eShop were much lower, so you could benefit from that until they raised the prices.

Thanks Shiggy, just changed my account, made the purchase and changed back, all from my PC. I assume it has worked but I'll check my switch later.

F*** me that Euro to GBP exchange rate is getting slim. It comes out at £9.14 when I bought it from Russia this morn with Mastercard's wholesale conversion rates. Thnx Brexit.

Nope, tried from website and the switch both did not work for me just received error messages, tried twice on each.

Did the website ask for your password? Mine did and then gave me an error message (in Russian). However, when I went back to the linked page, and refreshed, the price showed up in roubles and I was able to complete the transaction.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I was going to do this for the Xbox, which is the same price.

Then I thought better of it.

deejay

Did the website ask for your password? Mine did and then gave me an error message (in Russian). However, when I went back to the linked page, and refreshed, the price showed up in roubles and I was able to complete the transaction.

Same thing happened to me, but it worked eventually.

Top Bottom