• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch cloud save system apparently exists, but only Nintendo can use it right now

Jumeira

Banned
This is a basic requirement of any modern console, Zelda is a great game but Nintendo as a business are so behind its painful to read that there's so many system related omissions. The multitasking on the Switch is horrendous too but that's insignificant next to no cloud saves. Soft launch is a such a bullshit excuse, it's not fit for purpose unless it has basic features such as messaging and cloud saves among others.

Yeah if you look at the video, when he first boots up the Switch there's no cartridge for Zelda inserted. Then the video cuts, and a cartridge is inserted but now the so-called "cloud save" icon appears above the menu icon. I bet that whatever is downloaded is the patch, and not his save file.

But I guess nobody cares and this story will spread like wild fire.

edit: I went ahead and deleted everything from my system and I was able to reproduce everything in the original video:

Video proof

Case closed!

Ok good find. Damn shame.

Chao

It doesn't exist because Nintendo doesn't want you to fuck with save files exploits like the Twilight Princess one on Wii.

Thank piracy for that, Nintendo is paranoid about it and the recent Web applet hack just confirms their fears.

Can make and somehow support a cloud solution for saves but, won't allow you to transfer them between Switches via SD card. I half believe it.

Guess they gotta make that paid online a bit more enticing.

Vitacat

It doesn't exist because Nintendo doesn't want you to fuck with save files exploits like the Twilight Princess one on Wii.

Thank piracy for that, Nintendo is paranoid about it and the recent Web applet hack just confirms their fears.

Yeah, but at some point they need to cater to the vast majority of customers' needs over fear of a tiny minority of hackers.

Encrypt the hell outta the save backups, but let us copy them to mSD in case of system failure etc. Right now it's kinda scary knowing a 50 hour save file is tied to a single device with no way to backup a copy. And the more games people buy, the more that fear compounds.

You worked at Nintendo? Mind sharing more about what you read there as no information about such a system has been publicly announced or leaked.

They had announced a cloud system for data such as character data, which can then be accessed from within different games and even platforms. This was implemented with Miitomo already, and thus you can use the Mii you created on your 3DS. But a general system for storing your in-game save files has yet to be announced, confirmed or leaked.

These posts are the reason I have not requested a lock. Regardless of whether the article is legit, the main point appears to be true.

Sorry for the belated response to these.

Yes, I did work for Nintendo. And now that I've had a chance to do a bit of research, yes, Kimishima did mention cloud-based saving systems around the time of the Nintendo Account announcement, although at that point it was within the context of potentially sharing save data between mobile games and dedicated hardware. So it's not like this is confidential information (gotta cover my ass for the ninjas reading GAF right now), I think it just went completely under the radar.

Anyway, I can't tell you that cloud saves will be available on Switch 100% for a fact (I was more of a marketing type, not a designer or engineer), but considering it's a feature that was clearly taken into mind when the new Nintendo Account system was designed and rolled out, it would be foolish to think that Switch won't take advantage of that. Especially when the Switch currently has no way to transfer saves... cloud save being enabled with all the other online features later this year just makes sense, and perfectly clears up a couple of major consumer-facing problems (despite the common narrative, Nintendo isn't incompetent, just very... erratic).

So, I can't tell you it was happening as if it was part of my job at Nintendo, but I'll tell you that you're betting against the house if you think cloud save functionality hasn't been planned from very early on.

EDIT: But yeah, as pointed out, the article is clearly based on a misleading premise... but it is probably accidentally right for all the wrong reasons, in that cloud save functionality is almost assuredly planned. I just doubt that framing it as a secret tool only Nintendo can use makes sense, it's probably part of the whole set of features planning to be activated with the full online system rollout.

Yeah, but at some point they need to cater to the vast majority of customers' needs over fear of a tiny minority of hackers.

Encrypt the hell outta the save backups, but let us copy them to mSD in case of system failure etc. Right now it's kinda scary knowing a 50 hour save file is tied to a single device with no way to backup a copy. And the more games people buy, the more that fear compounds.

This, 1000%.

kubus

Last week Reggie said "Wouldn't that be wonderful? Stay tuned." when asked about cloud saves coming to Switch.

It's definitely coming.

Reggie also said they wouldn't use friend codes. So...
When everyone was complaining about Friend Codes it was because you had to register each other's 12+-digit numbers on each console (and on DS, on a game-by-game basis!). Now you just need one and it will send an add friend prompt just like an Xbox Live or PSN username. It's way easier than it's ever been and nearly nothing like the Wii/DS/3DS Friend Codes.

Other than being a 12(?)-digit number, it's a Friend Code in name only.

Reggie also said they wouldn't use friend codes. So...

When everyone was complaining about Friend Codes it was because you had to register each other's 12+-digit numbers on each console (and on DS, on a game-by-game basis!). Now you just need one and it will send an add friend prompt just like an Xbox Live or PSN username. It's way easier than it's ever been and nearly nothing like the Wii/DS/3DS Friend Codes.

Other than being a 12(?)-digit number, it's a Friend Code in name only.

Yeah, the Friend Code system on Switch has nothing in common with the frustrating system on earlier consoles. I just posted my code on FB and let the requests come in.

It's also not the only way to register friends. I added the vast majority of my friends on Switch from people who I was already friends with in Miitomo and Fire Emblem Heroes.

Oh, and the ability to quick add anybody within range of you.

Basically, handwringing about the friend system on Switch is silly. It's a non-issue, and it's just noise. Better to focus on real frustrations, like the current (temporary) inability to transfer or backup saves, and the manufacturing issues with the left joycons.

Yeah if you look at the video, when he first boots up the Switch there's no cartridge for Zelda inserted. Then the video cuts, and a cartridge is inserted but now the so-called "cloud save" icon appears above the menu icon. I bet that whatever is downloaded is the patch, and not his save file.

edit: I went ahead and deleted everything from my system and I was able to reproduce everything in the original video:

Video proof

Case closed!
Yeah thought there is something fishy with that video too.

Thanks for the detective work!

I keep seeing this pop up that "cloud saves are verifiably coming" but that is just not true. It's based off a slide or document that states "shareable data" with an image of cloud and a couple switches. No one knows what that means, whether it includes saves or just profile/amiibo data is transferable. So I'm not trying refute that cloud saves are happening but saying it's been verified already is misinformation, no one from Nintendo has state "Backing up your saves to the cloud is an incoming feature." Unless something other than that original document has come along that I missed.

I keep seeing this pop up that "cloud saves are verifiably coming" but that is just not true. It's based off a slide or document that states "shareable data" with an image of cloud and a couple switches. No one knows what that means, whether it includes saves or just profile/amiibo data is transferable. So I'm not trying refute that cloud saves are happening but saying it's been verified already is misinformation, no one from Nintendo has state "Backing up your saves to the cloud is an incoming feature." Unless something other than that original document has come along that I missed.

I don't believe anyone (except maybe Matt, who is likely to know more than any of us) are claiming it's definite, and nobody is saying it's verified. I'm probably the most hardline person right now after Matt, and I'm saying that I know where I'm putting my money, especially based on Kimishima's early comments about cloud save functionality within the new Nintendo accounts.

Majine

Banned
Naturally, I want them to do it the way Xbox does, where users have unlimited cloud storage for save files so they don't have to worry about it, and Microsoft talk to publishers in order to keep save file sizes down.

Of course, this is Nintendo, so it will probably be dumb in some absurd way.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This isn't it but Nintendo can definitely move your saves over.
I bet it'll come to the public with their paid online service.

Aonuma

Back when the Switch was the NX they did indeed explicitly say they were working on cloud storage for game data:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/29/9...ill-support-cloud-saves-facebook-twitter-sign

If I can discuss our plans for the future, the service will eventually allow game save data, such as character data, to be stored in our cloud system so that you can use them both for the software for dedicated game systems and for our smart device applications.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029/05.html

Shiggy

Megatron

As a current Switch owner, I like the soft launch. There's heartache for us early adopters but we knew that going in. It'll be smoother for the rest of consumers during the holiday season.

I'm thrilled about cloud saves. It's probably my biggest want.

It's not a soft launch. Use 'barebones launch' for accuracy.

EmiPrime

Fire Emblem Heroes has automatic cloud saves between iOS and Android for free just using Nintendo account, why couldn't they have this ready for their own console on launch?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fire Emblem Heroes has automatic cloud saves between iOS and Android for free just using Nintendo account, why couldn't they have this ready for their own console on launch?

The same devs (DeNA) are developing Nintendo's online service - which is coming soon.

EmiPrime

The same devs (DeNA) are developing Nintendo's online service - which is coming soon.

I know, it should have been ready for launch.

It was bad enough that the Wii U had a massive launch day patch to enable its online features, this sodding thing won't even have a feature complete online service before Autumn, 6+ months after launch and it will drain your phone battery.

jblank83

... The multitasking on the Switch is horrendous...

Wait, what? Of all my criticisms of the operating system, multitasking is not one. It's fast and seamless. Jumping into the shop from a game is fast. Restarting a game from sleep is fast. Switching games is fast. Playing a game while downloading is no problemo.

How is the multitasking bad?

The Argus

I always figured it was coming. People are giving Nintendo a lot of shit for its barebones OS, but seem to forget that the PS4 and Xbox One shipped pretty light as well. Hell we didn't even have pause and resume on the PS4 for the first 6 months.

Trojan

Promising news, it would be crazy if Nintendo didn't have some prototype of a cloud system they were testing. Will be curious how long they have this in the oven before release, but would be surprised if they don't release something by Summer given the importance of cloud saves as a file backup.

Brofield

Why not just say that then? Why all the secrecy?

They need something to announce to pad out their E3 Direct if the third parties aren't jumping on board by then. Much as I love my Switch Zelda machine right now, they can only tout Skyrim so loudly in the fall when it's going up against RDR2, possibly within a week of each other*

TFMA, gut instinct, etc.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Whoever thought Nintendo wasn't gonna get in on the paid services thing was either not paying attention or just being naive.

Sony changed tunes with the PS 4, had to know Nintendo was going to sooner than later.

It's too much money left on the table. MS showed everyone ppl will pay for stuff if you lock it behind a pay wall.

EmiPrime

I always figured it was coming. People are giving Nintendo a lot of shit for its barebones OS, but seem to forget that the PS4 and Xbox One shipped pretty light as well. Hell we didn't even have pause and resume on the PS4 for the first 6 months.

I see what you're getting at but launch PS4/XB1 were far more feature complete than the launch Switch.

Besides the Switch is competing with 2017 PS4/XB1, not whatever their state was in 2013. Not having feature parity with even the 360, a console that came out in 2005 and stopped getting major feature updates about 5 years ago is inexcusable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's not a soft launch. Use 'barebones launch' for accuracy.
Don't care. Still bought it and loving it. If you don't want it, don't get it.

I think the soft launch is a pretty brilliant move.

-shadow-

This is a basic requirement of any modern console, Zelda is a great game but Nintendo as a business are so behind its painful to read that there's so many system related omissions. The multitasking on the Switch is horrendous too but that's insignificant next to no cloud saves. Soft launch is a such a bullshit excuse, it's not fit for purpose unless it has basic features such as messaging and cloud saves among others.

But... This works absolutely seamless though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
But... This works absolutely seamless though.

It can be improved, but yeah I wouldn't call it horrendous.
I was able to suspend my game, buy something on the eShop and then choose to download it.

But the download wouldn't actually start until I closed the suspended game out. Only then would the new game icon appeared and the download started.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Video proof

Case closed!

Great detective work.

Cuburt

It can be improved, but yeah I wouldn't call it horrendous.
I was able to suspend my game, buy something on the eShop and then choose to download it.

But the download wouldn't actually start until I closed the suspended game out. Only then would the new game icon appeared and the download started.

But that isn't true, it's actually the opposite of what you said. I've done it before and I just did it now to confirm while already playing a game, getting something from the eshop, and jumping right back into it while it downloaded in the background. You even get a pop up in game that the download completed.

K' Dash

Game saves should be their number one priority, what would happen if the system breaks, is stolen, destroyed, I'm 70 hours in Zelda, I would break down if something happened to my save.

aeolist

Banned
As a current Switch owner, I like the soft launch. There's heartache for us early adopters but we knew that going in. It'll be smoother for the rest of consumers during the holiday season.

I'm thrilled about cloud saves. It's probably my biggest want.

too bad they didn't ditch the headphone jack 😩 😩 😩

Geedorah

But that isn't true, it's actually the opposite of what you said. I've done it before and I just did it now to confirm while already playing a game, getting something from the eshop, and jumping right back into it while it downloaded in the background. You even get a pop up in game that the download completed.

This is accurate - I saw the pop-up that Splatoon Global Test completed and installed when I was playing BotW

Spinluck

Sony advertised a lot of features out the gate but the launch felt pretty barebones regardless, and we didn't get a lot of neat OS features down the line.

Hell, the PS3 is arguably still a better media box than PS4, but not even half the multitasker.

It's weird because the defense you hear is that it's a "game console first." Which doesn't seem to suffice when it's said for the Switch. Which is treating anything that isn't games as a secondary feature and not a priority.

Top Bottom