• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch cracking near power button?

AEREC

I went to turn on the switch today and noticed a little sharp nub near the power button, upon further inspection it looks like the plastic is craking around the the nearest screw behind the power button.

Anyone else having this issue? After a bit of quick research it seems it's fairly common.

Guess I gotta start a repair ticket.

oJ9FjfB.jpg

Devil

No...Im the only one who uses it. I've never droped it.

The dock is certainly a mess and the connectivity issues for some is troublesome. But in general I feel like the Switch itself is still of pretty high quality. Especially compared to the OG 3DS, the other 3DS lines too, or even the Vita.

There are much more firmware related things I'd like too see improved on (features) than hardware issues.

Biggest fuck up so far is the Pro Controller dpad, imo.

Some high-end junior detective work going on in these kinds of threads per the usual.

Best to remove all the screws and keep the Switch in a sub-zero, padded room. It's the only counter for Nintendo's incompetence.

klov

Neo Member
Plastic cracked around the same area on my first Switch. Never misused or dropped. Might have been like that right out of box for all I know.

Either way, returned it to BestBuy and grabbed another a couple weeks later.

Like every piece of hardware...

Yeah, but I'd say the Switch seems to have a particularly large number of flaws. Maybe I'm wrong? Between the bent dock (and possibly a warped switch due to that), joycon connectivity issues, loose joycons on the switch, this problem, unreversable wrist straps, and dead pixels. It seemed to me that not everything was exactly ironed out before release.

Edit: this is an understandable unforseen flaw though.

topplehat

Yeah, but I'd say the Switch seems to have a particularly large number of flaws. Maybe I'm wrong? Between the bent dock (and possibly a warped switch due to that), joycon connectivity issues, loose joycons on the switch, this problem, unreversable wrist straps, and dead pixels. It seemed to me that not everything was exactly ironed out before release.

Edit: this is an understandable unforseen flaw though.

We are talking about 1 guy on Neogaf who has this issue in this thread...

The Boat

Yeah, all I needed to read was the thread title to know some people would blow this out of proportions. Honestly, it's hilarious at this point.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
OP by any chance left handed? This looks pretty much like a stress fracture by the pressure of holding the Switch by it's Left joy-con one handed (and thus bending the unit ever so slightly via the rail that connects the two pieces).

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
My neon switch has this, though not nearly as bad, my gre one does not. Both are launch consoles

I get the impression from everything surrounding switch, with the fierce competition in this space, Nintendo have not been able to source the finest parts or manufacturers for Switch. Also, probably a bit rushed to market to end the Wii U era as early as possible

AEREC

OP by any chance left handed? This looks pretty much like a stress fracture by the pressure of holding the Switch by it's Left joy-con one handed (and thus bending the unit ever so slightly via the rail that connects the two pieces).

Im right handed. You may be right...just the other day I noticed that the right joy-con has a little more range of mobility and creaks more while holding it one handed on the right side...compared to holding it one handed on the left side.

Either way I setup up a repair ticket over the phone and it appears to be covered under warranty.

They said repair should take 2-3 weeks, that seems a little excessive. Also sucks cause I just got ARMS and was starting to really enjoy it.

AEREC

No, I don't have this issue at least. You should try to call nintendo support.

I did...im sending it in under warranty. Anyone have experience with turn around times on repairs. Nintendo said 2-3 weeks but that seems excessive, especially if it's just replacing the back panel.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, it's a hybrid. And why do you say "Oh, it's a console now?" like the whole of NeoGAF is just one person that says the same thing? Have you looked at this person's post history and checked if they ever referred to it as only a handheld?

Just making an observation, nothing to do with the person I quoted. From what Ive ever seen Nintendo GAF swears it's a handheld. And Nintendo handhelds get revised numerous times.

Rigbones

Neo Member
Yeah, I had the power button crack along with the raised screen on the right side with my launch switch. I sent it in for repair and they told me it would be about a week turnaround time. I got it back 8 days after I shipped it. But if they told you 2-3 weeks, I'm not sure then. My repair was in April, so maybe they were still doing quicker repairs for the launch period.

The problem though, was that they sent me back a unit that was warped and that had a raised screen on the bottom side. So I sent it back in for repair again, and got a unit that has a raised screen on the right side again.

So, at least in my personal experience, and as much as I love the Switch, the hardware issues have definitely bummed me out. I'm aware I could just be unlucky, but I wish United Radio would be bothered to do a more thorough check before sending out a unit with more problems. Since you're just getting the backplate replaced though, that should be a pretty safe repair I would hope. I doubt they'll send back a new system unless it had more issues like mine did.

Top Bottom