• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dev talk - How Epic got in touch with Nintendo, future updates details, more

Snake Pass is a UE 4 game and it's already out.

Snake Pass does use UE4, and it runs at a very stable framerate of 30FPS. Which is pretty good for hardware that is based on Tegra. I think UE4 uses a full implementation of the engine as well, I've read that UE4 for iOS and Android lack graphical features because they use OpenGL ES. But Switch has a full OpenGL/ Vulkan (?) implementation.

Yooka-Layee is using Unity Engine on Switch, and going by the early trailer it seems to have some fraterate issues. I dunno... Snake Pass look's like it is doing much more visually and appears to be much better optimized for this type of hardware. I think UE4 could be quite popular for Switch indy developers as well as third parties. There is suppose to be a new shin megami tensei game is apparently using UE4, and there are rumors that Dragon Quest XI may also use UE4 too.

opricnik

Banned
What resolution were you playing at? What settings? There are ways to make games run better. Snake Pass we know is a very demanding game and yet there it is, running on the Switch.
720p with dynamic resolution at %80 all low. Though it is known i guess SFV is a shitport and huge CPU leak issues.

Snake pass while it runs better but it doesnt have any graphical features to try out . I just lowered from high and it runs okay playable enough for me

Snakeyes

Sure, but I think Sony will figure out that this way of doing things isn't good and will back off of it eventually.

Unfortunately, this approach has been directly responsible for a lot of Sony's success since entering the industry. I doubt they'll let up on it anytime soon.

Pokemaniac

Only reason we didn't see is because EA crushed the version that existed of it. Company has no problem giving us shit when they do when they finally show up on nintendo, but between them not publishing the star wars game on Wii or Crysis WiiU title I don't think anyone should ever give them the benefit of the doubt on nintendo platforms. They have been historically bad even during the snes and N64 era to consumers.

Same group is hypocritical and their post history shows it most of the time. They have no problem downing a nintendo platform that isn't even trying for mid range power while bitching that the pc shouldn't be compared cause people spend their money as they please to get a good looking game or a very smooth performing one or even outright customizing it as they please.

Getting back to the topic I'm literally surprised at nintendo switching development, OS, and firmware issues. Nintendo has ways to go but to see them just outright abandon one of their dumbest mistakes for 15 years is nice. Their OS like PS4 OS is utter proof you can do a lot with a light linux or bsd variant instead of using the crap kernel that is windows. Switch OS vs android shows that firmware/OS is huge when it comes to utilizing what's inside. Next to Doom 2016 utterly shattering concepts of what low level apis can do I haven't been more impressed by what companies do when they grow up with how they treat their software and what can be done. Nvidia and nintendo tagging up to do so is even more befuddling.

My serious hope is that they get employees or gain more awareness of what firmware or OS engineering can do when applied right. The same can be said for OS tweaks. Nintendo and Sony just ask Nvidia/Amd why Microsoft/Windows sucks when it comes to how games are synced vs what can be done. Lightboost strobing is very software based once you have decent hardware nor does it require pricy hardware, as that is what gysnc requires but not exploiting the 3d chip features a lot of displays use. None of the big 3 have responded to bufferbloat which is great for network performance but overall system performance as it totally minimized various impacts that networking has on cpu cycles, thread contention, cache contention.cpu usage, and interrupts being used. Consoles are always performance starved so freeing up resources, offloading properly, using proper acceleration techniques, and minmizing bloat/overhead counts a lot.

Are you sure the Switch is running a *nix kernel? The reports from people trying to reverse engineer it suggested a fork of the 3DS OS was more likely.

M3d10n

isn't it closer to a mobile phone than a PC? I mean it's not like Nintendo could go for a beefy x86 PC-like console next generation with a nvidia GPU and easily have backwards-compatibility, right?

I believe he means it uses standard libraries and APIs you would find on a PC. You don't have vanilla OpenGL on mobile (only the ES subset) while the Switch supports the latest OpenGL, for example.

Also, considering how unimpressive the CPUs on the XB1 and PS4 are, Nintendo could do just fine with a beefy ARM CPU.

KtSlime

The fact that massively popular IP like AC, CoD, and Arkham bombed as hard as they did on Wii U shows that the audience for Western AAA games simply wasn't there and EA was right.

I have been looking on YouTube for a copy of the advertisements for those games, the ones that they aired on TV, but for the life of me have been unable to find them. If EA did not make advertisements for their game, the reason it sold poorly is on them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
NBA Playgrounds runs on UE4. I actually hadn't known, since this wasn't emphasized that much in the marketing, but it appears to maintain 60fps while looking respectable enough (with some downgrades like missing player shadows).
I feel like things like shadows will be patched in, it's still part of the early switch launch games and they tryna get it day and date with the other versions while online is coming later

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
NBA Playgrounds runs on UE4. I actually hadn't known, since this wasn't emphasized that much in the marketing, but it appears to maintain 60fps while looking respectable enough (with some downgrades like missing player shadows).
Interesting, didn't know about that. Performance on Switch seems solid compared to the other systems.

Wonder how smooth the transition to Switch was.

LCGeek

formerly sane
If Nintendo wanted games like Crysis 3 on Wii U, it was their job to cultivate an audience for them. Sony and MS invest vast sums of money into doing just that.

They already were making the title so everything your mentioning is pointless. This is also in the context of them doing it again on a nintendo title that would've made sense.

Saying fps games aren't built for nintendo ignores what they started with goldeneye for consoles. The same can be said for EA starting a title on the platform when in general the same franchise performs like shit on any console. They already took the risk and knew what was involved yet whimped out. Speaks volumes they want to release shit and shit but something solid like the star wars title lets just make it never happen. Crysis on consoles has sold worse than other fps titles that made it to Wii be it conduit or even the paltry version of COD.

Pokemaniac it's running a variant mix of linux/bsd plus heavy nvidia customizations should've made that more clear and it's quite lean too in size only a couple of Mbs. I think my netgear 7800 router has bigger firmware by almost twice the size.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Interesting, didn't know about that. Performance on Switch seems solid compared to the other systems.

Wonder how smooth the transition to Switch was.

Apparently very smooth accordingly to Saber interactive
Can't link from mobile but yesterday there was an interview on Gonintendomwherenthey say how quick they were able to port it on the new console
There is a reason why they are porting also Shaq Fu and developing other two brand new unannounced games

I'm looking at some direct feed Nintendo Switch footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tES7IO3RdcE

Apparently the game runs at 1080p at 60fps in docked mode, and 720p in handheld mode. The game is quite simplistic looking for a UE4 title, but it is running at a really smooth framerate at 1080p. It is a good example of how UE4 will be valuable for Switch developers.

Bloodstained is also using UE4 as well and will be getting a Switch port. Bloodstained for the Wii U will probably be the only UE4 on the console, as I think they are still porting UE4 to PPC architecture.

Nilaul

Developers: "We are checking if a switch port is even feasible"

Few days later...

Epic: "There is a one click export to Switch Button"

Luigiv

How would that work with the OS always running?

Time slices. The OS always reserves it's time slice whilst the game code runs in the gaps between.

Anyway, makes sense this way. The Switch OS is simple enough that it shouldn't need to hog an entire CPU core to itself. Though on the downside, that will limit the firmware's ability to expand with new background tasks.

The 3ds os only needed about 30% of one of its cores to run, i cant imagine switch needing much
At one point, I believe the 3DS reserved an entire CPU core for the system. We heard that it was reduced, but I didn't know that it OS now only reserves 30% of one core. Were we told that the n3DS reserves at least one one of additional CPU cores to the new 3D system?

bumpkin

I feel like things like shadows will be patched in, it's still part of the early switch launch games and they tryna get it day and date with the other versions while online is coming later
It's certainly possible. Look at Snake Pass. That got a patch which brought its lighting and shadowing closer to being in parity with the PS4/XB1 versions.

At one point, I believe the 3DS reserved an entire CPU core for the system. We heard that it was reduced, but I didn't know that it OS now only reserves 30% of one core. Were we told that the n3DS reserves at least one one of additional CPU cores to the new 3D system?

Yeah at launch it was a whole core but yeah when that was reduced (some point in the first year i think) it was down to something like 30%, yeah not sure on the exact amount for n3ds but a core for the 3d was true

BDGAME

I'm looking at some direct feed Nintendo Switch footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tES7IO3RdcE

Apparently the game runs at 1080p at 60fps in docked mode, and 720p in handheld mode. The game is quite simplistic looking for a UE4 title, but it is running at a really smooth framerate at 1080p. It is a good example of how UE4 will be valuable for Switch developers.

Bloodstained is also using UE4 as well and will be getting a Switch port. Bloodstained for the Wii U will probably be the only UE4 on the console, as I think they are still porting UE4 to PPC architecture.

Are you sure about these resolutions? I don't see any switch video that looks like a true 1080p video. That either.

it's a little blurry to be 1080p. Maybe 900p, I don't know.

Top Bottom