• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dock back to Nintendo store, price dropped to 60$

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo's goals with the dock
  • Charge effortlessly by just dropping in. If you have to fiddle with a cable = fail.
  • Emphasize that the system is no loner intended to be held while docked. If you can see the screen (even if the screen turns itself off) = fail.
  • Provide a place to charge the pro controller via USB

That's it, and the dock accomplishes all 3. People wanting solutions where the screen isn't covered or where you fiddle with a USB-C cables to get it on your TV aren't getting it. It doesn't need a fan because the system self cools fine.

Only complaint I have is that I wouldn't mind a dock with a bit more heft as it can slide around when not holding the Switch.

Bingo. Nintendo designs their products to be idiot-proof.

If the front of the system wasn't covered, folks would question why they couldn't use the Switch while it's in the dock. If the dock didn't have USB ports, folks would bitch about having to secure a separate charging solution for the controller. If customers had to plug in a cable every time they'd be complaining about how inconvenient or inelegant it was.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Not weird. It's how Nintendo fools you into thinking something is a reasonable price. They did it with the 3DS too. They do it with their storage (Give you next to nothing and expect you to buy an expensive SD card)
Expensive? Huh? Aren't SD Cards dirt cheap?

I don't see what people are getting upset about here? Yes the dock is larger than the chipset but that's because it holds your Switch in place and it looks nice. Obviously anyone can make it smaller and just have you plug the wires in separately but it's really up to personal preference.

I don't think people are generally upset about size of the dock vs the pcb, I has to be xyz size to fit the device. It is, what it is. I think it's more the value of the item.

I personally can't find the dock without the extra cable and power supply in Aus. So in saying that, full kit here is $130AUD - now by anyone's measure, it's a bit hard to argue that is not overpriced and/or just a little bit "rich"

Why would you assume it's not real? The dock is sized to fit the console, and the dock's innards are just a USB hub and a HDMI passthrough, which is simple enough to not need all that space.
Ah, I didn't know it had a USB hub, the picture doesn't show any ports and I thought it was just the HDMI passthrough.
What exactly did you think the dock comprised of?
I don't know, it just looks so cheaply made to be sold for USD60. I thought it'd have at least a network port (Ethernet) and USB ports (which antibolo pointed out it does), etc. It looks like a piece of hollow plastic with a small PCB and I'm surprised it sells for USD60, that's all. I just looks like it could be sold for half the price.

Gotta wonder if or when third party docks will ever come. I'd imagine Nintendo isn't keen on letting anyone else produce docks for a while, if ever.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nintendo's goals with the dock
  • Charge effortlessly by just dropping in. If you have to fiddle with a cable = fail.
  • Emphasize that the system is no loner intended to be held while docked. If you can see the screen (even if the screen turns itself off) = fail.
  • Provide a place to charge the pro controller via USB

That's it, and the dock accomplishes all 3. People wanting solutions where the screen isn't covered or where you fiddle with a USB-C cables to get it on your TV aren't getting it. It doesn't need a fan because the system self cools fine.
internet armchair executives' goals with the dock
  • weigh 3 pounds and be stuffed with electronics that unlock 4k60fps, also a PC fan with RGB LEDs
  • emphasize it's just a handheld with tv-out, also make the screen scratch proof
  • don't even come with the system to save money and/or make room for a packed-in pro controller

Thinking about getting a dock and leaving it at my workplace. That way I dont have to bring in all my stuff if I want to play at the office. Just the Switch and controllers.

Fularu

Banned
internet armchair executives' goals with the dock
  • weigh 3 pounds and be stuffed with electronics that unlock 4k60fps, also a PC fan with RGB LEDs
  • emphasize it's just a handheld with tv-out, also make the screen scratch proof
  • don't even come with the system to save money and/or make room for a packed-in pro controller

For the low low price of 10$

Because charging more is highway robbery

Oh and the size of the PCB should dictate the item's price. By that logic an AppleWatch S2 should cost no more than 5$

Top Bottom