• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch dock clone appears in China

mieumieu

Reports with pics in Chinese http://www.g-cores.com/articles/25242

Taobao page in Chinesehttp://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/det...00&sc=0&vf=0&sm=0&iam=&css=&fontsize=0#detail

Apparently the reason why generic docks cannot be used on Galaxy S8 and Nintendo Switch is a similar method of product verification. Now it has been cracked.

Currently only small batch of samples are being manufactured and sold at about 55$ (there were a sale at about $28), and the build quality is quite suspect, but I am sure soon there will be better built docks at about 40$ docks.

Since OP won't add pics:

a5bcf654-ddab-4b25-82b5-f2eb1d104649_watermark.JPG

ac0a2253-3f3d-43a0-95e7-af534ba322e2_watermark.JPG

J@hranimo

Banned
Good! Whenever this becomes more available I might get one
after multiple people have bought it first to confirm its quality

Chauzu

I'm definately interested, but I'll wait for some extended testing and seeing how reliable they are. 40$ sounds around what I'd be willing to spend, so count me in if quality and reliability are there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hate that I may consider resorting to this type of a purchase, but the dock that Nintendo sells is just WAY too expensive. Bring the price to a reasonable level and I won't feel compelled to give my money to some knockoff product like this.

TLZ

Banned
Reports with pics in Chinese http://www.g-cores.com/articles/25242

Taobao page in Chinesehttp://h5.m.taobao.com/awp/core/det...00&sc=0&vf=0&sm=0&iam=&css=&fontsize=0#detail

Apparently the reason why generic docks cannot be used on Galaxy S8 and Nintendo Switch is a similar method of product verification. Now it has been cracked.

Currently only small batch of samples are being manufactured and sold at about 65$, and the build quality is quite suspect, but soon there will be 40$ docks for sale I am sure.
Build quality? Like the supposed awesome build quality of the cheap and bent official dock?

Lol. They're all empty shells of cheap plastic.

Skyzard

Banned
I'd actually prefer that over the official dock, which it looks nothing like.

Not sure I'd call that a clone.

So dumb the port is on the bottom. I hope they flip it with a revision.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wait why would they make clones of the same shitty dock? Was just assuming they were going to make better versions of them

edit - god im dumb

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If it's fairly compact (should need an external power supply at least) then it could be very useful for portable uses - taking over to friends, using in hotel rooms etc

11redder

Nice. Really want a second dock for the bedroom, but I'm not willing to pay $90 for the official one.

God approves...
makQwXW.jpg

Interesting. Wonder if it makes the Switch think it's in docked mode or if it just manages to output picture in portable mode. The latter could be useful for capturing footage of portable mode only games (albeit there's only one currently).

If I were the Chinese, I'd make a generic looking version of the official dock, but build in a cooling fan and maybe an upscaler into the TV out part on the back, and sell that for $60. That would actually be useful, compared to the official dock.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Pleased about this. Still waiting for one that doesn't cover the screen.

panda-zebra

Interesting. Wonder if it makes the Switch think it's in docked mode or if it just manages to output picture in portable mode. The latter could be useful for capturing footage of portable mode only games (albeit there's only one currently).

google translate almostkinda suggests it's a direct replacement " Visual 1080P play car and the original base no difference".

My main concern with this is it looks like the Switch is meant to lay down on a flat surface when plugged in, but wouldn't that block the air intake? other than that would be nice to own just to have a more portable dock.

Eh, not interested in having my Switch sitting out in the open. I actually like that the official dock prevents dust from gathering on the screen other than that small portion at the top. Add to that the fact that I haven't gotten a single scratch from the dock in 3 months, I'm good.

Edit: And as another poster mentioned, I'd be concerned about air intake.

J-Skee

Considering what happened to that guy from Google testing USB-C cables, I wouldn't use any of these just yet.

If I were the Chinese, I'd make a generic looking version of the official dock, but build in a cooling fan and maybe an upscaler into the TV out part on the back, and sell that for $60. That would actually be useful, compared to the official dock.

Chinese knockoffs aren't about building something useful that improves upon the original design, they are about cutting as many corners as possible while providing a product that performs a similar function for a limited amount of time.

How would active cooling and a cheap upscaler be useful? It's better to let either the Switch or the TV handle upscaling. Adding a third hoop to jump through could degrade quality and increase input lag.

Kovacs

I'd love a small puck sized dock for when I travel but have limited luggage space. Portable mode for the journey, dock for the hotel TV.

Nothing wrong with the original dock, but for the electronics it contains it's an awkward size and shape for packing.

Hey look at that, they left the system lying face up with the intake vents blocked. What could possibly go wrong?

This is exactly the reason (well one of the reasons) why Nintendo made the dock proprietry.

I'd say this is more of a symptom of the only real flaw with the Switch, which is that you can't charge it on it's kickstand due to the port location.

Deft Beck

China's fiercely competitive tech market is going to be a boon for people who aren't willing to pay Nintendo's exorbitant accessory prices.

panda-zebra

Hey look at that, they left the system lying face up with the intake vents blocked. What could possibly go wrong?

This is exactly the reason (well one of the reasons) why Nintendo made the dock proprietry.

If only the Switch came with a built-in stand...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
but I am sure soon there will be better built docks at about 40$ docks.

Now that's interesting. That implies that Nintendo's pricing might not be as ludicrous as it seems, not if the Chinese knock offs can't hit $20

tmarg

Now that's interesting. That implies that Nintendo's pricing might not be as ludicrous as it seems, not if the Chinese knock offs can't hit $20

We already knew it wasn't, people were posting links to similar devices at about the same price the same day the switch was announced.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Would love an extra one for taking the switch to friends houses. This thing can't come soon enough.

diaspora

So... so flip it upside down

Luigiv

If only the Switch came with a built-in stand...

That wouldn't work, look at were the cable is attached. To avoid blocking the vents you'd have to place the system face down. Whilst that's ultimately simple enough to do, it's totally unintuitive (it would also potentially scratch the screen) and is not something the average consumer would think of doing unless they were actively aware of the ventilation problem. But even if it were (and even if the kickstand could be used) the fact that there is a way to block the vents so easily makes enabling support for generic dongles a terrible engineering choice. Say what you will about the official dock, but at least it's idiot proof.

Top Bottom