• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Emulator Created

jufonuk

not tag worthy
http://www.pcgamer.com/amp/switch-emulator-announced-made-by-team-behind-citra-3ds-emulator/

Wonder what type of machine you need?

Still won’t have the portablity.

Seeing as the switch is Tegra based I am sure it meant it was easier to create the emulator?

Edit more details

https://yuzu-emu.org/
Yuzu is an experimental open-source emulator for the Nintendo Switch from the creators of Citra.

It is written in C++ with portability in mind, with builds actively maintained for Windows, Linux and macOS. The emulator is currently only useful for homebrew development and research purposes.

Lock if thread is old.

Last edited:

Zenaku

The dream would be that cfw for Switch would let you dump games, and that connecting your switch to a pc gives you access to the switches files.

Play on the switch out and about, connect to the pc, load your save in the emulator to play in 4k, then have the game save to the switch so you can take it back out and carry on.

DilWSTS

my Wii U died and i had the windwaker HD digitally. Not sure how thats relevant but i feel entitled to be able to play that and the more emulating moves forward i guess the better for people who lose their access rights due to Nintendo's lack of online knowledge.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
As is always the case with threads like this, people are more than welcome to discuss the topic in question so please lets not take it away from the subject of the thread by bringing up the very separate topic of piracy. People are very welcome to discuss the morals of piracy, as long as it's done within the community Terms of Service, but if you do want to discuss that then you'll need to create a thread for that particular topic.

As is standard, off topic posts will be deleted.

Thank you.
D. Emulation/Piracy
The topics of emulation and piracy in the context of the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.
Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software, and livestreams of pirated software play are all strictly prohibited.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This is good news imo. I'm a huge supporter of Nintendo and will continue to buy their hardware and software, but emulation offers a level of customization that just isn't available on the native hardware. In the case of Wii, the Dolphin emulator made several games that were previously almost unplayable for me due to the controls. Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Other M were both a much better experience for me to play with an emulator than on actual hardware because I could play them on a standard controller suited to my preferences. The other more noticeable difference is the graphics and image quality in general is vastly superior on an emulator compared to the original hardware. It also opens up the ability to mod which make older games (SM64 I'm looking at you) that haven't seen a modern remake look better. With Switch, one of the biggest problems with the DS, 3DS and Wii U is resolved because you no longer have two screens. So with there now being a Switch emulator and with Switch hopefully being this first iteration of the larger NX platform, I hope it continues to get ports of older games and those games have better and better image quality. This is becoming more and more of a necessity with 4K and now 8K TVs hitting the market. The 720p resolution on the Switch just isn't going to cut it much longer.

This is fantastic news. Having the option to play the Switch games that you own with improved IQ and any game controller on a gaming rig will be brilliant. This will benefit all gamers and help to preserve the -already fantastic- Switch game library for the future.

synce

Figured it wouldn't take too long due to the Switch's off-the-shelf components, but just a year? Wow. This team is amazing.

EmryX

Neo Member
Besides, playing on your Desktop kind of looses it's portability...
Well you know, put it on a GPD Win, or Windows oriented tablet (and there is plenty) and here you go.
But emulate Switch console on such hardware seem to be tough, even in 2-3 years

odhiex

I am interested on this emulator's development. I may eventually be buying N-switch , but having option to play (modded version) of the games sure is very intriguing.

NicknameMy

Neo Member
This is fantastic news. Having the option to play the Switch games that you own with improved IQ and any game controller on a gaming rig will be brilliant. This will benefit all gamers and help to preserve the -already fantastic- Switch game library for the future.

Why would you want a different controller than the Pro Controller tho, the Switch offers the most and best options in terms of control style.

I am sceptical about it. As long as they keep it open source everything is fine. But things like CEMU which use closed source (and because of that we can't see if they did pirate the Wii U original code which is illegal) and generate money at the same time shouldn't happen. Also, don't fear for Switch sales, this will not be ready to play any games good until 5+ years.

Last edited:
Why would you want a different controller than the Pro Controller tho, the Switch offers the most and best options in terms of control style.

I am sceptical about it. As long as they keep it open source everything is fine. But things like CEMU which use closed source (and because of that we can't see if they did pirate the Wii U original code which is illegal) and generate money at the same time shouldn't happen. Also, don't fear for Switch sales, this will not be ready to play any games good until 5+ years.

Because the d-pad is poor :) It's a good controller but it has its issues. And lots of gamers have a particular preference for one controller over another. Controller preference is a very subjective thing. Once you've been endowed with a plethora of controller options by being a PC gamer, it's hard to go back. For example: Playing Super Mario Galaxy on PC in ridiculous resolutions with a Dual Shock 4 is amazing (having the annoying Wii-mote shake mapped directly to a shoulder button is a godsend). An emulator for the Switch is only a good thing. In five to eight years time when it's fully mature, it'll (hopefully) be an amazing way to continue playing the games you own and love, well after the Switch has been superseded.

Blam

If this works out I want to try and create a system where I can play my saves on my pc and have it goto my switch when i"m done so I can have a much better experience.

Zenaku

If this works out I want to try and create a system where I can play my saves on my pc and have it goto my switch when i"m done so I can have a much better experience.
Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, we need custom firmware that allows reading and writing to switches internal memory when connected via usb. Even better if they can achieve it by connecting the dock with a 2way usb cable.

Gotta wait and see how cfw turns out.

Blam

Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, we need custom firmware that allows reading and writing to switches internal memory when connected via usb. Even better if they can achieve it by connecting the dock with a 2way usb cable.

Gotta wait and see how cfw turns out.
Yeah imagine dropping your switch into the dock it transferring saves, then opening your switch emu up like you docked it into a TV. Playing some games and then quitting to pick up where you left off on the switch. That's a dream.

stranno

Figured it wouldn't take too long due to the Switch's off-the-shelf components, but just a year? Wow. This team is amazing.
The first screenshot of F-Zero: Maximum Velocity running on Iki's iGBA was unveiled the 26th of March 2001. Four days after the launch of Game Boy Advance.

meanwhile, xbox 360 emulation still hasn't taken off yet. It seems like the emulations that get long-term support for sony, nintendo and maybe sega consoles. It might not make sense of there being a xbox emulation, but there at least handful of xbox 360 and xbox original exclusives that should be emulated.

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
meanwhile, xbox 360 emulation still hasn't taken off yet. It seems like the emulations that get long-term support for sony, nintendo and maybe sega consoles. It might not make sense of there being a xbox emulation, but there at least handful of xbox 360 and xbox original exclusives that should be emulated.
There's always Xenia as far as the 360 goes. Its still fairly early, but its able to run some games.

Donnie

That...can't be good for Nintendo.

Less so than a standard system I suppose. I mean there are games I could get on PC or other systems for less than I can on Switch, but I buy them on Switch because of the way I can play them. Unlike a standard console even perfect emulation can't actually give you the same experience as Switch.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Less so than a standard system I suppose. I mean there are games I could get on PC or other systems for less than I can on Switch, but I buy them on Switch because of the way I can play them. Unlike a standard console even perfect emulation can't actually give you the same experience as Switch.
Nevermind. Misunderstood this as the Switch itself was able to be hacked and play backups.

Emulation on PC is not nearly as big as deal as that would be.

Kenpachii

It's beyond me why PC gamers still need emulation at this day of age. Nintendo should just open up a store and release there games like 1 year late on PC or a console generation late. As everybody is already emulation there games anyway. It's just a loss of money income.

ExpandKong

Banned
It's beyond me why PC gamers still need emulation at this day of age. Nintendo should just open up a store and release there games like 1 year late on PC or a console generation late. As everybody is already emulation there games anyway. It's just a loss of money income.

Mario Kart 8 sold over 8 million copies on the Wii U.

Nintendo isn’t worried about losing game sales to people who were in all likelihood going to emulate and pirate their games anyway.

odhiex

I would love that, but I doubt that Nintendo would even care.

magnumpy

so is this a bigger deal than UltraHLE? I think so, it's happening while Switch is still very relevant for Nintendo

Kenpachii

Mario Kart 8 sold over 8 million copies on the Wii U.

Nintendo isn’t worried about losing game sales to people who were in all likelihood going to emulate and pirate their games anyway.

I am not talking about losing game sales. I am talking about people that emulate because there is no way to get the games on there PC and can't be bothered with there hardware but are perfectly fine to pay for there games.

It's basically free money. And gains extra market share towards nintendo. It's a no brainer. It's not going to impact there console sales if they are a generation behind. You wan't to play mario oddessey? buy a switch or wait until we ditch it in 5 years and play it on PC.

Last edited:
so is this a bigger deal than UltraHLE? I think so, it's happening while Switch is still very relevant for Nintendo
Nah. This could still be a ways off. UltraHLE completely changed the way people made emulators. You could also play $100 games perfectly on its initial release.

This is a very good news for a simple unique reason: lazy, greedy and unperceptive companies needs to get blows in their head. One of them being the unexcusable fact that in 2018, consoles are STILL not backward compatible with the other company platform consoles/titles.

Well okay...they're incentivising you to emulate then, wether with your own ROM or not. And the fact that Nintendo charges you so high for old games that...you have to buy again for every console instead of having a centralised library...they're really really pushing for emulation with their floor scraping greed. So great news if the Switch gets emulated, I hope it'll come soon enough so that Nintendo will have not choice but...to do their job and compete.

Fbh

First time I'm hearing about this.
Looks like it will take some time but if they eventually get this running well on decent hardware I'll probably sell my Switch

Battlechili

Banned
Yuzu runs Pokemon Let's Go day one! (note: this is not in the main build of Yuzu yet)
8et382zs7iy11.png

Well you know, put it on a GPD Win, or Windows oriented tablet (and there is plenty) and here you go.
But emulate Switch console on such hardware seem to be tough, even in 2-3 years

If Nintendo doesn’t make a Switch mini by then, I could see that becoming a very attractive option.

Trogdor1123

my Wii U died and i had the windwaker HD digitally. Not sure how thats relevant but i feel entitled to be able to play that and the more emulating moves forward i guess the better for people who lose their access rights due to Nintendo's lack of online knowledge.
You are entitled to play that, just buy another WiiU and call Nintendo to get to activate it for you. Surely that's possible no?

That...can't be good for Nintendo.
probably the only way I will ever get to play Zelda: BotW
Because of people like magnumpy. damn pirates fucking shit up for the rest of us.

Top Bottom