• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Firmware 4.0 enables USB/wireless-USB headsets in docked mode

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I just tested it.

My AirPods are working!

I’m using a creative Bluetooth adapter. I’m gonna text stuff like latency now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZYYPFHU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No noticeable lag, this is the same adapter I use for my PS4.

I had no idea Airpods worked as standard bluetooth headphones, I thought they were an exclusive to apple products gadget, huh. Time to put some research into 3.5mm to Bluetooth adapters.

Did you pair them to the adapter on a computer first? you realize you just volunteered yourself to the bluetooth cause in making a step-by-step tutorial... j/k
Nope. It was the same process as on PS4

Plug the adapter into the USB port (I used the top one but I doubt it matters)
Hold the pairing button at the end for a few seconds to put it in pairing mode.
Hold the pairing button on the AirPods (or whatever Bluetooth headphones, I only have AirPods) until it turns green.

Play games!

I had no idea Airpods worked as standard bluetooth headphones, I thought they were an exclusive to apple products gadget, huh. Time to put some research into 3.5mm to Bluetooth adapters.
Yeah AirPods will work with anything Bluetooth. I use them on my PC, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, PS4 (w/ adapter), Vita (w/o adapter), and now Switch (w/ adapter)

They just won’t do the quick connect or auto connect (where you pair them to one device and it registers on every Apple device under that Apple ID) but you just hold the pair button and they work.

Caayn

Switch supporting USB headsets before the XB1 does. Thank you Nintendo for making it a priority to support USB headsets.

Holy fuck, the lack of a headphone jack on the Pro controller for docked mode put me off the Switch at launch. I eventually came to terms with going portable mode exclusively if I wanted simple headphone use. This news is great for me. I've lucked out with me picking up a Odyssey Switch Bundle next week lining up with all these new features.

Seik

Banned
This is a megaton for me and will give a new life to my PS Gold headset as I'm barely playing PS4 lately.

DavidDesu

Thinking about this more, this will likely increase the chance of me buying a Pro controller soon as playing docked will be so much more enticing now because I finally have an easy wireless solution. Just switch the dongle from my PS4 to my Switch next to it.. sorted. Love this!

Now Nintendo really need to start getting media apps on there. Lower power consumption over my PS4 and nothing lost, plus much quicker and snappier to use.

mrlion

So no more of this?

splatoon-2-splat-chat-5.jpg

Berordn

Now there's no more excuse for that lame online app.

I'm starting to get hopeful that the reaction to the app caused them to start backpedaling hard on their online plans and that's why it keeps getting delayed.

They might make a competent system yet.

Unfortunately I do not own Splatoon so I can’t test any voice chat but I doubt it works. Wouldn’t it sorta ruin the entire adapter/app thing they have going on?

Gonna be so comfy playing Stardew Valley with my AirPods.

With all of these updates coming fast, I wonder what else Nintendo will enable before the end of the year.

I still believe Bluetooth headset support could be enabled via an update, so we wouldn't have to wait for a Switch revision.

I tried my wireless logitec headset and while it detects the usb headphones, it locks the system up other than the sleep/volume menu and I cant access or hear anything until I disconnect the usb dongle :(

Maybe the G533 just doesnt work
Other headset works fine

All we need now is a small usb-c bluetooth adaptor with a headphone jack out built into it. Connect the adaptor to your phone, open the app for voice chat, and voila.
Could we possibly use a USB C to 3.5 w/ a 3.5 male to male?

Not the most elegant but you can find pretty short 3.5 to 3.5 cables, and the usb c to 3.5 female adapter are only a couple inches.

I saw the thread title and immediately thought "bummer my Sony Golds probably won't work wirelessly", then saw the picture and got excited. Thanks for testing this out, OP!

because dongles are the right way to go about things...

i swear some business decisions are so god damn warped, i dont know how companies ignore modern tech decisions.

sigh atleast its better than that splatoon mess

Atheerios

i swear some business decisions are so god damn warped, i dont know how companies ignore modern tech decisions.

Dongles are definitely a modern tech decision, considering how it's something that MacBooks and phones have been needing in the last few years.

To anybody looking at ordering an adapter for Bluetooth. Get the Creative one I linked to in a earlier post. It’s like $25 but it works perfectly. I bought it to use my AirPods on my PS4 for when I don’t want to use full headphones and it was well worth it, even more so now with the Switch.

Being able to use my AirPods on everything I own has been amazing. I do wish the mic on the AirPods worked but I rarely use my mic, and when I do I have an actual headset.

I mean it’s better then nothing. An adapter is only needed for Bluetooth headphones.

I’m gonna grab a USB C to USB adapter from work tomorrow and test it. If it works then I’ll order an adapter for portable mode.

Ketch

So the headset would have to have it's own specific blue tooth adapter right? How else would you pair the headset?

This one will work with any USB wireless headset. I'm 99% sure it would work on switch too, as it's listed as requiring no drivers and is PS4 compatible

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G3J1I5M/
For 2 pounds more the Creative adapter is way smaller, it’s a little bigger then like a wireless mouse dongle. Wouldn’t even be able to see it in the dock. It’s barely noticeable in the PS4.

Creative BT-W2 USB Transceiver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZYYPFHU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That’s a US link, but I searched UK and saw it for 27.

So the headset would have to have it's own specific blue tooth adapter right? How else would you pair the headset?
I’m curious about this. Somebody mentioned their Void didn’t work well I think so I wonder if it’s just wireless headsets that work.

Kudo

Yes, but there's probably some USB Bluetooth dongles that let you sync headphones even if they don't have their own adapter.

Nice

Sony Gold Headset and Aukey usb adapter.

I might have a bluetooth adapter around here somewhere, which I can test with BeatsX headphones. I'll do a test if I can find one.

edit: can't find it
Oh nice that should mean my Dragonfly Black dac should work, superior audio here i come :)

Shiggy

Now get Bluetooth headsets working. I don't need a headset when I'm using the TV, especially when there's still no sign of voice chat ever appearing.

Docpan

This needs to be tried:

Astro A50 Gen 3, switched to pc mode on the mic amp, then plugged into the switch USB. The audio is sent through usb and then transmitted wirelessly in this mode. No optical cable needed

solomon

What are the chances the splatoon 2 gets better voice options, maybe even in match chat..... I wish ._.

NimbusD

They should make a dock plus with whatever they need to to sync the audio to their app. Then they can have a single that does the same thing for older models.

Though all of that could be avoided w just having voice on the switch. Cuz honestly wtf they just added video recording there's no excuses.

Top Bottom