• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch games to look forward to in 2019

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Im Amused at how hyped I am for New Super Mario DX Whatever. Played that game years ago on a friend’s Wii U and had a good time, can’t wait to have that but in HD.

Also looking forward to Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Yoshi’s Trippy Yarn World, Luigis Mansion, Smash DLC, and no doubt there will be many more surprises.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not much. Every upcoming announcement is either a port or a lackluster release.

I'm amused at how no one is hyped for New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, for example.

I think that will sell very well. It’s just not going to generate hype on hardcore gamer sites as most of us Nintendo fans on there have/had Wii U’s and played the games there and the single player ones don’t have the replayability of online games like Mario Kart 8.

Switch is selling to lots of people who never had a Wii U so the ports tend to do well. We just aren’t the market for them. Nintendo is smart to milk that market there as it’s tons of profit since development costs for porting are way lower than making a new game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im Amused at how hyped I am for New Super Mario DX Whatever. Played that game years ago on a friend’s Wii U and had a good time, can’t wait to have that but in HD.

Also looking forward to Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Yoshi’s Trippy Yarn World, Luigis Mansion, Smash DLC, and no doubt there will be many more surprises.
I played NSMB U again just two weeks ago. I think it's the best 2D Mario.

But I was a little surprised at the Mario models looking (to me) worse than I remembered, and worse than Mario 3D World. I tried out World again also, and it not being HD is very noticeable for me now.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
ItR79ifl.jpg

I'm sure if you played New Super Mario Bros U and Super Luigi U the first time around, you'll pass up the reissue on Switch. But I completely missed out and I suspect many players missed out as well.

Yes, this is a lazy port by Nintendo with only minimal changes, but it's hard to complain about classic 2D arcade platforming action. You can't do much better than 2D Mario for old school thrills.

Andyliini

Considering many Wii U-to-Switch ports have sold more than what they originally did (barring maybe Hyrule Warriors and Pokken Tournament), so there is a change NSMBUD could be a huge seller. I think the original game sold about 5,5 million, so with a little luck, the Switch version could reach as high as 10 million. I think it's possible, as it's one of the best 2D Mario-games ever done, and will probably have a good word of mouth.

2019 seems like "The" Year for Switch.

Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Luigi's Mansion 3
Daemon X Machina
Dragon Quest XI S
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Yoshi's Crafted World
Shin Megami Tensei V
Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age
Pokemon Gen 8
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD?
Persona 5 R?

I'm so hyped to have a Switch. So many legit games coming for it.

Montblanc

Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy XII, Shin Megami Tensei V and a new core Pokemon game for me.

That being said, I wanna get Octopath Traveler too but it's still so damn expensive over here in Europe... I'll probably buy it one of these days anyway.

SMT V isn't gonna happen lol so I'm thinking to finally give Animal Crossing and Pokemon a chance if I can play that last one with my pro controller. Mario Golf would be a day one purchase too but Camelot won't be able to cough that one up next year if it's gonna happen anyway.

silentstorm

Suprised at how some people just aren't excited for much, i mean:

Luigi's Mansion 3
Fire Emblem:Three Houses
Metroid Prime 4
Yoshi's Crafted World
Travis Strikes Again
Daemon X Machina
Bayonetta 3
Animal Crossing
Shin Megami Tensei V
Descent
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Super Robot Wars T...again, freaking Super Robot Wars T, the Fire Emblem like series only with a lot more story and dialogue revolving around mechas is getting a game on Switch and no one mentions it!?

And there are probably games i forgot, ones that haven't been announced yet and you can't forget indies!

Seriously, it's true that quite a few of those indie games can also be played on, say, PC but playing on the Switch just tends to feel better to me, so games like:

Wargroove
Gato Roboto
Samurai Gunn 2
Soundfall
Shakedown Hawaii
Sparklite
Indivisible
Bloodstained
Mineko's Night Market

And other indie games that will likely be ports or hopefully exclusive to it, either way, the portable aspect of the Switch for some reason just makes the games more enjoyable and i can always play them on TV.

As for what i want to play the most...it's Super Robot Wars T, freaking Cowboy Bepop is in the game, sadly, Spike and the others will have japanese voices only, but screw it, freaking Cowboy Bepop in a Fire Emblem like game in a series known for having great stories with lots and lots of dialogue(and the actual turn based stages) and more badass animations than a lot of games:

Oh yeah, and G Gundam and other Gundam series are also in it, and Mazinger, Getter Robo which is freaking cool, easily one of the games i want to play the most.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Doom Eternal
Ion Maiden
Amid Evil

There is a ton of FPS but this is the big 3.

kunonabi

Metroid Prime 4 - not a huge fan of Prime after the first one
Yoshi's Crafted World
Travis Strikes Again
Daemon X Machina
Bayonetta 3 - didnt like 2 but I'll give it a shot
Shin Megami Tensei V
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - depends on the roster
Senran Kagura: Peach Ball(US release?)

This all hinges on the revision being real.

Grandia HD Remaster mostly, at the moment at least.
I'll keep an eye on that Daemon X Machina game too since a lot of people seem to swooning over it.

boo

Gold Member
Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and the Switch-version of Vampyr are three of my most anticipated games so far for 2019.

Last edited:

silentstorm

Doom Eternal
Ion Maiden
Amid Evil

There is a ton of FPS but this is the big 3.
Meh, Doom Eternal is cool because i don't have a powerful PC, don't get me wrong there, but Ion Maiden and Amid Evil are less resource intensive to a point where a lot of people will be able to run them and honestly?

I prefer playing FPS games on the PC with a keyboard and mouse, just feels more natural to me.

That being said, hell yeah, Doom Eternal looks freaking awesome, the preview campaign of Ion Maiden(i bought the Early Acess version on Steam) makes me really excited for the full game and Amid Evil...it exists i guess, for some reason i just can't get into that game.

On the other hand, i think DUSK hasn't come out to Nintendo Switch yet and that game is really good and a lot of fun, really loved playing that game on my PC, everything about the game is just awesome, weird or creepy...though there are a few levels where things were either a bit too dark or maze like for my tastes, but those aren't enough to detract from the game.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Meh, Doom Eternal is cool because i don't have a powerful PC, don't get me wrong there, but Ion Maiden and Amid Evil are less resource intensive to a point where a lot of people will be able to run them and honestly?
Dunno. AE is Unreal Engine 4 and Ion Maiden uses a old codebase derived from Duke Nukem 3D.

On the other hand, i think DUSK hasn't come out to Nintendo Switch yet and that game is really good and a lot of fun, really loved playing that game on my PC, everything about the game is just awesome, weird or creepy...though there are a few levels where things were either a bit too dark or maze like for my tastes, but those aren't enough to detract from the game.
Dusk is also coming to Switch :)

Donkey Kong Country: King K.Rool Returns

I bet Smash was supposed to be a promotional tie in by adding K.Rool originally but Smash got pushed forward throwing the timing off :p

edit: While SMTV might come out in Japan this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait half a year or so for a translation for western audiences.

Last edited:

silentstorm

Dunno. AE is Unreal Engine 4 and Ion Maiden uses a old codebase derived from Duke Nukem 3D.

Dusk is also coming to Switch :)
I know about DUSK and...to everyone who wants to play FPS games on the Switch because they are more used to playing such games on a console i say go for it, i really had a lot of fun with the PC version, got some completionist achievements, found all of the secrets, went through the secret levels and had a blast playing it.

Be warned though, episode 1 has some levels that are kinda mazey and one that is pretty dark at the same time, and episode 2 really feels like the darkest episode...because it has the most levels without a flashlight or little light to create a mood.

Episode 3 at least only has one dark level and everything feels much less like a maze level, the levels are big but you can still find where you need to go pretty easily, and man, the game does some cool stuff on episode 3, including a boss fight against a human...that acts like a multiplayer gamer as he jumps around a lot, has the same weapons as you, and you kinda feel like you are fighting a Quake III player with more HP and it's just weird and hilarious.

In case you haven't noticed, i feel like the game gets better as it progresses, not that the first episode is bad, it's just that i felt like the first levels of episode 1 were the best and episode 2 felt like it was trying to play the horror card a bit too blatantly.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wait, DUSK disables the flashlight in some episodes? I totally missed that, I guess darkness wasn't a problem for me then?
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/18/dusk-review/
I think it's great from the start and does get better as you play but it already starts strong and more fun than most in this style, and stays strong throughout, from lvl 1 to lvl 32.

Edit: why are you spoiling unique moments and bosses for a dude that's yet to play it though, lol, I'd spoiler that stuff. It'll be cool to play it even after knowing of it as it's even cool to replay but yeah.

Last edited:
I cant wait to see Metroid Prime 4 but i would be surprised if it is actually released in 2019. Same goes for Animal Crossing. Either way, once these games arrive ill finally get a switch and play through them, as well as finally taking a crack at BotW. Hoping for a $250 or less Switch price drop at some point.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not exclusive, and 99% chances are that will not look like this, but it's gonna be great
maxresdefault.jpg

ChuyMasta

I'm in for some ports if they come out in the first half of the year:

Re4
Re1
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy IX (As long as it's not a mobile port)

Then the usual Nintendo stuff:

Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime 4
Luigi's Mansion's 3

Im still working through Pokemon Let's go and Smash, so I am in no hurry to get new games.

Ovek

7Member7
Luigi's Mansion 3 but only if it’s like the first one.

Bayonetta 3.

Daemon X Machina, who doesn’t like a cool mech game?! I would have to see the finished product first though as every video I’ve seen the dodge jet visual effect takes up far to much of the screen and annoys the shit out of me.

The new Metroid Prime, can’t see it coming out this year but you never know.

As for everything else, well I usually don’t get on with JRPGs and if it’s cross platform and releasing on PC (like Doom) I might as well buy it on that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What is NSMBUD ? And why should anyone know this abbreviation by heart?
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. You shouldn't but it helps so you don't have to type out that long name. For some it can also be deduced it since it includes the common SMB.

It's a high profile port for sure, the original was well regarded and then got that sweet Luigi expansion too. It should do pretty well I think.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I’ll believe Metroid Prime 4 in 2019 when I see it.

Honestly no idea what Nintendo has in store for the year. It has to be more than they had for 2018, right?

Wonkytonk

Metroid, Fire Emblem, Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Bayonetta 3.

Possibly the new Pokemon, if it comes in 2019?

Loads to look forward to.

Just got my Switch for Christmas and I think that 2019 will be one blast of a year.
Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi and ANIMAL CROSSING.
Plus, I have to buy and play all the games I missed those 2 last years. Oh yes, I'm probably gonna spend a fuckton.

hecatomb

Banned
new super Mario wii-u is also coming to the switch. toads treasure tracker is also other game I never played, cause I didn't want a wii-u

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm in for some ports if they come out in the first half of the year:

Final Fantasy IX (As long as it's not a mobile port)

Got some bad news for you man...

Although technically it's a port of the PC version which itself is a port of the mobile version.

hecatomb

Banned
Just got my Switch for Christmas and I think that 2019 will be one blast of a year.
Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi and ANIMAL CROSSING.
Plus, I have to buy and play all the games I missed those 2 last years. Oh yes, I'm probably gonna spend a fuckton.
well if you goto the switch store they have free games

220px-Warframe_Cover_Art.png

220px-Paladins_%28video_game%29.jpg

Nintendo-Switch-Online-1019567.jpg

Last edited:

Andyliini

I might be alone with this, but for me, there are too many Switch games coming out already. I know Final Fantasy games are old, more than 20 year at best. Even still, I feel like playing all of them again because of off-TV play. I hope FFVII and FFIX would get physical releases, even asian limited ones, but they probably dont.

Anyway, Switch seems to be the ultimate machine for JRPGS's even without Persona-titles, so 2019 will be one of the best, even if many games are old. That with Dragon Quest and whatever comes out from Monolith Soft will be glorious.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Anyway, Switch seems to be the ultimate machine for JRPGS's even without Persona-titles, so 2019 will be one of the best, even if many games are old. That with Dragon Quest and whatever comes out from Monolith Soft will be glorious.
Switch might not get Persona but it does get Shin Megami Tensei V which is more exciting than Persona 5 re-release(even tho I LOVED P5).

Last edited:

Andyliini

Switch might not get Persona but it doest Shin Megami Tensei V which is more exciting than Persona 5 re-release(even to I LOVED P5).

My man!
I was burned out of Persona 3, but I might try P5 if it comes to Switch. And I'm certain to love SMT5, as I loved SMT4 and Apocalypse. I like Persona gameplay, but dislike time limit of P3. We'll see what happens.

Gander

Banned
Switch may find a corporate market for itself. It's one the of the few devices tech companies will allow you to bring into work because it doesn't have a camera

silentstorm

Switch might not get Persona but it does get Shin Megami Tensei V which is more exciting than Persona 5 re-release(even tho I LOVED P5).
That is a game i am really looking forward for...though i still think i want to play Super Robot Wars T more, i mean, Cowboy Bepop in a RPG alongside G Gundam!?

...Probably helps that i like mechas and the gameplay is kinda like Fire Emblem only with more badass animations.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That looks incredible. Hope the gameplay matches the quality of the art style.

The gameplay is pretty much Armored Core from what I've seen. You launch into missions from a menu and can cuztomize your mech. Movement ranges from slow and clunky to fast and clunky depending on your mech's weight and style.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That is a game i am really looking forward for...though i still think i want to play Super Robot Wars T more, i mean, Cowboy Bepop in a RPG alongside G Gundam!?

...Probably helps that i like mechas and the gameplay is kinda like Fire Emblem only with more badass animations.
I'm also crazy fan of mechas, this why I'm so god damn hyped for Daemon X Machina.
HilariousAcclaimedKissingbug-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

silentstorm

I'm also crazy fan of mechas, this why I'm so god damn hyped for Daemon X Machina.
HilariousAcclaimedKissingbug-size_restricted.gif
Oh yeah, that looks cool too, and i love the cartoony style of the graphics, feels like a bigger version of Gundam VS, only it can do things other than having Gundams all around.

Still feels like it's all real robots, would love to have a game that goes completely crazy and has mechas with all kinds of designs and attacks, basically super robots.

A game where you can have a Megazord like robot fighting a real robot opponent that fights with guns and missiles and then kill it by summoning a giant sword from the sky and doing a thunder slash just sounds so cool.

Sadly, the series that is closer to that is Super Robot Wars, which, like the name implies, tend to have super robots at all times, and some real robots at the side(with Gundam characters constantly being present) but you typically can just have teams full of robots with all kinds of designs and attacks that don't even try to pretend they are real robots or could be in an Armored Core game and i love that so much.

And if there is a Fire Emblem like game where i can play as Domon Kasshu being involved in a really big crossover event against a major threat then i am all up for it, they even got a freaking super robot that has only appeared in a movie...can't wait until enough years pass that will allow them to get Gridman on the series...hopefully that will still be a Switch game.

Hell, Super Robot Wars T literally has playable units that can only fight like Armored Core robots using mostly some guns in ways that aren't blatantly ridiculous...and then you can have on it's side a lion mecha that summons a giant golden hammer that splits apart to become a giant hammer of light that dwarfs the enemies in order to crush them, or Amuro in the Nu-Gundam using a bazooka and his Fin Funnels as a red robot with wings that uses a scythe releases a small ball of fire that explodes into a nuclear explosion.

...Yeah, in case you didn't get it, i really like the idea of real robots and super robots being in the same game and uniting to fight a common threat.

Top Bottom