• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

compo

Banned
Unless you preordered or are able to wait in line at a store's opening time, then I wouldn't hold my breath about owning a Switch until like July.

Buying things is fun, new technology is exciting.

First post.

Sometimes I wonder why people can't just enjoy their purchases. I think a lot of these feelings come from weird dialogues and meanings constructed right here on GAF, and the internet in general that don't make much sense in the real world.

Videogames aren't an investment or a strategy, they're entertainment. Buy it and have fun! Switch is my first launch console ever and I've been gaming on every platform damn near 30 years. Exciting times.

Amory

I had a preorder for a month or so and canceled it last week.

I love the concept of the Switch, but when a system has literally one game that I care about and that game is also available on a system I already own, I just can't justify the purchase.

And frankly Nintendo hasn't earned any confidence in a launch purchase.

I'll get a Switch, but to your point OP, I don't see a reason to get one on launch day.

Zalman

I've never bought a console at launch before, but Switch will be my first. I think it's a combination of Zelda on day one and me being a bigger follower of games than ever before. I've been keeping up with NX rumors for so long that I want to be a part of the launch. It's a big event.

Wii U was my only purchased at launch console, there's also the DSi but that's an improved model.

It only dropped $50 during it's lifetime and I got to use the Digital Deluxe Promotion so all in all the best one to have actually pulled the trigger on. For example I got a 1TB Xbox One for $200 new last year and a Kinect used from Gamestop for $18.00. So I got what was offered at launch for less than half the price and twice the storage.

I personally feel very strongly that the Switch have will be available $50 cheaper this holiday. And I preferred the Wii U launch lineup as I can get Zelda on Wii U while on Wii U I could use old controllers to play 4 player multiplayer games like NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Tekken Tag 2, Sonic Racing Transformed and BLOPS II.

Buying a new generation Nintendo hardware day one these days is the textbook definition of insanity, but good luck anyway OP.

image.php

Peltz

Switch has a lot of potential to be a great machine. I'm excited to own it on March 3rd. OP the only reason you need to buy it is "I want it". You don't need to try to justify it any other way.

I'm done with buying consoles at launch. It's fun the first few days and then the console sits there while you wait for a library to form.

In this specific case, I'm going to wait with the Switch given how the Wii U turned out and Nintendo is doubling down on relying mostly on first party to carry the console. That's why for me consolidating their handheld and console games on one console is important.

Salex_

Not entirely sure why I'm buying it at launch either. Probably because I love gaming handhelds and the gap from 3DS/Vita to Switch is massive...Oh, and I have the extra money at this time.

It felt amazing playing games like SFxT, Blazblue, and Sonic All Stars Racing on the Vita with great performance and visuals.

Now the graphics are even better, battery life is similar 3DS/Vita, more (and better) control options, the option to play on the TV, and all of the typical developers who made games for Nintendo console/handhelds are all going to be on one system + Vita and some of the PS4 developers...The improvements and potential is pretty exciting to me.

Come to think of it, I believe this is also my 1st at launch console. Every other console I've ever gotten was usually a year or so after release.

The closest to launch console I've ever gotten was the N64 and I think it was within the 1st 6 months of release.

Once we learned what the Switch actually was and that BOTW would be a launch title, I was too excited to pass up the opportunity.

Owensboro

I'm right there with you about being unreasonably excited. Every other console except the Wii and N64 I've waited until there were at least 5 games I would want to play the day I bought it... but for some reason... I just totally want to mess around with this thing on Day 1. Zelda helps alot.

Get ready for a rough experience as the UI, OS, and other aspects of the system will not really be refined yet.

I'm more worried about any potential day 1 system update that will be required. That thing took FOREVER on the Wii. For some reason my console just kept crapping out halfway through the download.

I've got my fingers crossed that Nintendo has figured patch downloading out and that their current infrastructure is much more beefed up thanks to them having the e-shop experience.

Buying a new generation Nintendo hardware day one these days is the textbook definition of insanity, but good luck anyway OP.
In what sense? Only poor Nintendo launch I can think of is the 3DS but I was too fascinated by glasses free 3D to regret buying it early, I also put 50 hours into Super Street Fighter 4 so I was pretty satisfied. The droughts are pretty common but that's true for most systems, Switch seems great so far in the drought department.

Platy

The Nintendo console with worst first party support got Ocarina of Time.

If there is one thing that you can be sure is that the first party support will be awesome

The only system I've ever bought at launch was the PS4 Pro but that was only because it was an upgrade, not a brand new system.

Otherwise I just don't see the point of buying a system until it at least has 5-10 games I actually want. It might be exciting to buy a system at launch but that'll wear off after a couple of days and then you're left with a couple of launch games and not a whole lot else. I'd rather stick with my old systems and try to cut down on my backlog while I wait until its library is worth buying the system for.

I can totally understand why you'd pre-order.
The Switch embodies Iwata's focus on fun, while having a very sleek design with some extra neat features like HD rumble.
It looks like Nintendo is doing it right this time going by the latest leaks/news regarding the network features and UI.
I'm willing to bet it's going to have a great software library as well.

I'm not pre-ordering myself, but plan on buying one later this year.

This might actually be my first at-launch console... ever. A combination of having the disposable income and being genuinely excited about this new form factor. And of course: it's Nintendo.

Choo choo.

Xenoblade 2 is going to be amazing, imagine a Xenoblade game more impressive than X running on a handheld. Cannot wait. I'm personally getting Breath of the Wild, 1 2 Switch, Snipperclips, Binding of Issac, FAST RMX, Bomberman, I am Setsuna, Snake Pass and World of Goo in the launch month. Might import the physical version of Ultra Street Fighter 2 from Japan.

Well, my first at launch console was an N64 and I've bought every Nintendo console since then at launch without regrets. I still have all of them too and play those older systems.

Dambrosi

Banned
Your first in ages, OP, my first "at launch" ever. And that's only because I got a good deal. Private only, no games either, so can't share, sorry CheapAssGAF.

Though I probably shouldn't, seeing what happened to its predecessor.

NotLiquid

3DS was my first at-launch console. Had some reservations about that one, truthfully. The Wii U as well was a purchase that would only pay off well after the fact.

With Nintendo there's always the assurance of quality software so I don't regret buying any of those consoles but I think the Switch will be the first console I won't second guess a purchase for. I know I love the technology at a glance and being able to try it out and have it become a seamless fixture has me giddy. The day one games like Zelda and Bomberman are sure to keep me occupied and invested, and I can't wait for Disgaea, Arms, Puyo and Splatoon in the near future.

It's the first console in a while I'm excited to own because of what it is rather than being excited in spite of what it is.

phanphare

Banned
The Nintendo console with worst first party support got Ocarina of Time.

If there is one thing that you can be sure is that the first party support will be awesome

yep, no matter how the Switch fares you know you're going to get a bunch of good games from Nintendo and if you're buying a Nintendo console at launch I can only assume you will like those games

MoonFrog

Right there with you :p; also don't usually get these things at launch.

If Nintendo still launched things on Sunday, it'd be hitting my birthday too.

In what sense? Only poor Nintendo launch I can think of is the 3DS but I was too fascinated by glasses free 3D to regret buying it early, I also put 50 hours into Super Street Fighter 4 so I was pretty satisfied. The droughts are pretty common but that's true for most systems, Switch seems great so far in the drought department.

Wii U also had a pretty abysmal launch, until mid/late 2013 it was barebones.

I don't get it.

Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

SheHateMe

Slightly off topic, but still within the range here:

What is considered the launch window? Is it that first week? First month? Within the first 6 months?

Because while I have a Switch preordered, I'm probably gonna cancel it and wait until August to get one.

(Sidenote: The only consoles I've owned Day 1 was the PS2 and the PS3. I sold that PS3 two weeks after camping out for 3 days for it and didn't buy another one until Jan of 2013.)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
New hardware is the best! Then add Breath of the Wild on launch day and you can't go wrong here.

All I've got on March 3rd:

Switch Console (neon)
Breath of the Wild
Pro Controller

Looking forward to Arms when that drops. Might get 1-2-Switch for company.

I'm done with buying consoles at launch. It's fun the first few days and then the console sits there while you wait for a library to form.

I really never understood this mentality. If I'm asked should I put out $300 now or wait a year and a half for 5 or 10 games available that I want to play and then pay $300, I may as well just drop the $300 now and enjoy it for all that time too. On top of that, why all of a sudden have a huge backlog when you can be playing them as they come out too? So I see very little reason not to get a system at launch.

JJH

Good luck to you. I learned my lesson after the 3DS and Wii U never to buy Nintendo hardware at launch, but to each their own.

Letting NeoGAF hype affect your wallet is the worst thing you can do. I know being a part of a launch can seem exciting, but as soon as the honeymoon period ends it's going to be hard on you.

I bought 3DS in the launch window, and to this day I regret it, even if 3DS is one of my favorite consoles now. I bought the Wii U at launch, and I wish I never touched it. I bought Wii during launch, and while it had amazing support, I spent dozens of hours campaigning with Operation Rainfall to get Nintendo to release games on the damn thing.

I'm excited to buy a Switch whenever it gets a decent catalog, but I just hope people aren't expecting this to be any different from all of their other consoles. I can see the buyer's remorse threads on NeoGAF from a mile away.

Kind of depends on your personal situation tho to be fair.

Breath of the Wild is my most anticipated release of the entire gen. I've been waiting for this for literal years. By the time I'm ready to take a break from it, Mario Kart 8 is releasing and that's my most played franchise. That alone justifies my owning Nintendo hardware.

NotLiquid

Slightly off topic, but still within the range here:

What is considered the launch window? Is it that first week? First month? Within the first 6 months?

Because while I have a Switch preordered, I'm probably gonna cancel it and wait until August to get one.

(Sidenote: The only consoles I've owned Day 1 was the PS2 and the PS3. I sold that PS3 two weeks after camping out for 3 days for it and didn't buy another one until Jan of 2013.)

Personally I consider "launch window" the console's first quarter, something that justifies an early purchase, but it's a fairly nebulous term that varies from person to person. Every title Nintendo has labeled as "Spring" is a game I'd find to be within that category since the console is still fairly fresh in everyone's mind then. Splatoon 2 would be right outside of it for example.

General rule of thumb we've seen from Nintendo is that the launch window ends at the close of the system's first full quarter on the market.

3DS launch window: Feb/Mar 2011-Jun 2011
Wii U launch window: Nov 2012-Mar 2013

So that'd mean:

Switch launch window: Mar 2017-Jun 2017

Feeroper

Although it isn't my first console on day one, there is definitely something exciting about getting this console. I think that Nintendo has done a good job at stirring up the hype and I know at the very least they will deliver the goods for it. Also doesn't hurt that Zelda launches with it, and it looks amazing.

There is something special feeling about this console launch though and I cant quite put my finger on it. Despite the blunders from the Jan 13 presentation and some of the odd decisions I still find myself excited. I think it is because Nintendo seems energized and ready to move on. They have a long history of making video game magic after all.

Top Bottom