• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
... and I wish I had clear, logical justification for it.

On paper, it is systematically worse to buy a console at launch. There is so much uncertainty about what the product is like, there are fewer games, and I'm paying MSRP (for the console, at least).

Despite all this, I am so excited for the Switch. I guess this is unreasonably excited, right?

I have a general idea of what I'll be getting on March 3rd, but one thing I can't quite put into words is that it's exciting to be invested in the next few years of what Nintendo will do with the console. It could be a horrible dumpster fire of support, or it could be rad. There's something exciting about not knowing right now, and I'm glad I get to be a part of a group of early adopters for this dumb, irrational ride we've invested in.

Same here. I guess the biggest selling point to me is the idea of being able to play Zelda BoTW half naked in my bed, super comfortable at will. Amazing what tech is becoming.

With you there OP. I swore to myself I was done getting consoles at launch after the Wii U, but Nintendo has done enough with the Switch to make me extremely excited for it (and also pretty confident in its future support).

The next couple weeks can't go by fast enough.

Switch will be my first "at launch" console that feels special. That feeling comes 100% from being able to play Zelda on day one.

I bought PS4 and Xbox One at launch, but I can't point to a single game I was actively excited to play on either until Spring of 2014. I literally bought both just to have the newest hardware.

Majine

Banned
I know it's a bad deal as well, and the upside is very much subjective. I love being part of a launch and exploring the system along with the world. To many that's stupid, but I usually don't regret it so if it brings me joy, I don't care.

SomTervo

There's something so keen and vital about getting a console at launch. In terms of entertainment payoff it's a bad idea, but it's still fun and satisfying being part of the zeitgeist. Everything feels so new and it's satisfying to just use it.

I think it's the first one I'll every have day one, honestly. I usually get on board a few weeks or months later but the Zelda BotW thirst is real.

In Switch's case, at least we can play portable too, so we don't need to dominate a screen

Switch is honestly the first console that is bringing a child-like endearment and excitement to me. This just looks so neat, so much fun, and so different compared to the Xbone and PS4. Console quality Nintendo device in a portable AND a home console! It's beautiful~

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If you are hyped for it then why not?
The only console i bought at launch was vita and i'm totally happy with it, but it will probably also be my last console, time to return to (handheld)pc.

bomblord1

Banned
It will be my 4th. Previous 3 were 3DS, Wiiu, and Wii (actually had to wait a month to get that one but I was there on launch day to attempt to get one. Got put on a waiting list and got it as soon as it came in. Always pre-ordered Nintendo systems after that).

The system gives me a lot of hope with its incredibly strong marketing, positive third party word of mouth (especially from Japan), and it iss both attractive and has a day 1 game that justifies the purchase for me. It's also just incredibly exciting to be an early adopter for an emerging technology.

New consoles don't come around very often. Its fun to just be a part of the launch, be excited man.
I doubt they'll drop the price anytime in the next few years either, so its not like you'd be saving money by waiting.

This is my first launch console. I got the 3DS, WiiU, and PS4 the Christmases the year after launch.

I got the Wii the same Christmas it came out, but that wasn't me waiting for an inventory restock or anything, so I don't consider that a launch console

I had a dream the other night that it was Switch launch day and I was so excited to get my system.

That's not me. I don't dream about video games. Strangely enough, the only other time I had a similar dream was at the Wii U launch.

phanphare

Banned
as far as buying a console at launch goes Nintendo is the safest bet in the biz, so you'll be fine in that regard

I mean, the Wii U was a historic flop and they still put out tons of great games on the thing so whatever happens you know you'll be getting that Nintendo goodness for at least a few years

I can't wait. I just want to hold the thing. it's an incredibly enticing piece of hardware on its own.

Dremorak

Banned
I've never gotten a console at launch actually. I only just realised OP :O
I guess its because my parents used to buy my consoles up to about gamecube and it was always late/christmas etc, and then everything since then I've bought after its gone cheap.

Switch launch will be fun

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My first "at launch" console was the Wii U, unless you're talking handhelds, which then would have been the DS Lite. (assuming revisions count as "launches")

I had a dream the other night that it was Switch launch day and I was so excited to get my system.

That's not me. I don't dream about video games. Strangely enough, the only other time I had a similar dream was at the Wii U launch.

I remember having a dream earlier this week that my Switch order arrived from Amazon and I excitedly opened it up and starting playing it...only to realize about an hour in that they sent me the gray console instead of neon. I was so disappointed but I didn't want to send it back so I just settled.

Wil348

I've never bought a console at launch before. Switch will be my first time. I understand that the first year will be rough sailing, but it's an experience I want to be able to experience first hand, and I want to be a part of the launch hype (as stupid as it sounds). Also Zelda and Mario Kart in launch window, could be worse IMO.

Switch is enticing as a platform in a way few consoles have ever achieved. I'm extremely hyped for Breath of the Wild but if I wanted I could get it on Wii U, I'm buying Switch day 1 because of what it is rather than what it has. Can't wait to take console quality games on the go and the future software lineup seems bright.

True Fire

Letting NeoGAF hype affect your wallet is the worst thing you can do. I know being a part of a launch can seem exciting, but as soon as the honeymoon period ends it's going to be hard on you.

I bought 3DS in the launch window, and to this day I regret it, even if 3DS is one of my favorite consoles now. I bought the Wii U at launch, and I wish I never touched it. I bought Wii during launch, and while it had amazing support, I spent dozens of hours campaigning with Operation Rainfall to get Nintendo to release games on the damn thing.

I'm excited to buy a Switch whenever it gets a decent catalog, but I just hope people aren't expecting this to be any different from all of their other consoles. I can see the buyer's remorse threads on NeoGAF from a mile away.

BuggyMike

Welcome back to the dark side. I got stung with the Wii U, but Switch has Zelda botw at launch, so I don't feel too nervous about my decision.

gweemz

I am getting it day one for Zelda. Honestly, if it wasn't for that, I would have no interest buying one until the holiday season. And this is coming from someone who has purchased every Nintendo console and handheld since Gcn day one.

BadWolf

Happy for you but I'd personally never buy a console at launch or close to it, the library of games just isn't there yet for it to be worthwhile.

I have faith in Nintendo and Switch. Love the concept, love that sweet design and breath of the wild seems like a great starting point. And 2017 seems really packed at least within 1st party releases

Already pre-ordered and I cant wait to play it :)

Full disclosure: Switch is my first day one console ever! :O

I've had several consoles day one, but this will be the first Nintendo system I've picked up at launch. Dreamcast, Xbox 360, PS4, and PS4 Pro so far. Excited to add Switch to the list.

d_escudero

Neo Member
It will be my 2nd console.

First one was a Wii. Lucky me, it came with an OS error, I had to wait two months for a replacement. I promised never buy at launch... and here I am, reserved neon

I've never gotten a console at launch actually. I only just realised OP :O
Switch launch will be fun

Now that you said that, I realized I'm the same if we're not counting handhelds. I only got the 3DS at launch (and even that was technically 2 days after).

Should be fun indeed (definitely more fun than 3DS's lol).

EDIT: I'm not quite sure why your post caused me to realize that and not OP's but whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sizzel

New stuff day is fun. As long as 300 + bucks is not a big deal for you , it is a solid choice. I grabbed one too.

Happy for you but I'd personally never buy a console at launch or close to it, the library of games just isn't there yet for it to be worthwhile.
If you didn't have a Wii U then Breath if the Wild, FAST RMX, Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are all worth it and will be available within a little more than a month (not Splatoon 2 but we are getting the test fire at least) and even if you did have a Wii U these are now portable games and many of them have new content and modes.

psyfi

Banned
It's my first since the PS4... So basically the last big hardware launch, haha. I can't say I'm as excited for the Switch, but I'm definitely excited. BOTW is probably my most anticipated game ever, and that's what I'm really looking forward to.

Nintendo console launches are always exciting to me. I've bought every one of their consoles at launch since SNES came out in 1992 in the UK. The only other consoles I've bought at launch are Dreamcast and PS2.

Astral Dog

Im the contrary,first Nintendo system i don't buy at launch ish since the N64,including handhelds,and i likef the Wii U.
I expect however to be more interested when they show games

_h8bit

Banned
I think this is my first launch console since the GBA. Home console I've always waited a couple months after release due to inherit low supply but I made more of an effort this time around. Praying for no shipment issues through Best Buy.

Mohonky

Switch is honestly the first console that is bringing a child-like endearment and excitement to me. This just looks so neat, so much fun, and so different compared to the Xbone and PS4. Console quality Nintendo device in a portable AND a home console! It's beautiful~

I am at the point of counting down the days till Switch launches.

Never got a Wii U till Pikmin 3 came out and never bothered with Xbone or PS4 at all and I have spent a lot less time gaming in general, only picking up the Wii U exclusives (I never felt a lack of games on Wii U to be an issue probably becauae I played games far less) and multiplatforms I got on PC but even then I slowed down game purchases a lot.

I'm super excited about Switch though. I think a big part of it is Zelda (its a tradition since the original NES release), the fact the first parry output on Wii U was so damn good (cant wait for Splatoon 2) and I think my general apathy these days for worrying about specs, console wars and the need for games to be deep or complez; I just want a system that I jump into and have fun with. The Wii U was really unsuccessful, but its been one of my favourite consoles, I used off screen gameplay a huge emount when I never expected it to be a big deal at all but it ended up being one of my favourite aspects, the the Switch seems to be a huge improvement in display quality and build quality coupled with a more than acceptable portable visual quality has me really excited.

I'll probably throw a new video card in my PC (970 atm so its not exactly underpowered) for multiplats, but if Nintendo can keep up the quality they did with the Wii U as well as bring back a few franchises that missed Wii U, I will be very happy.

Top Bottom