• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Nindies Showcase 28 Feb 2017. 9 AM PT.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im really happy that indies can get this much excitement, this is really great for indie developers going forward

Pretty sure they will announce a Yooka-Laylee bundle with the Amiibo (not confirmed yet but pretty sure it's an Amiibo).

C3lx__YWQAAOcTY.jpg

I forgot about this! I hope you're right. That will look great next to my Shovel Knight amiibo. The stand just needs to be standard size so it fits in my amiibo cases nicely.

redcrayon

Because they're handicapped on the Switch. Whether it's due to it being a port of a game you've played years ago, graphical fidelity and performance not up to par with competitors, lack of achievements, no d-pad, etc.

I love indies, I just don't plan on buying any on the Switch.
Most late indie game ports on the Vita went on to become the definitive version for me as the other versions were handicapped in retrospect by not being portable. Depends what people want from a version, for me portability beats pretty much everything else, I couldn't care less about achievements. To each their own.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm worried about how Yooka-Laylee on Switch will turn out, especially if Wii U didn't work at all for them. It'd be nice to get the first footage in this video to assuage my fears. Perhaps I should have asked for a PS4 code and not had to deal with this uncertainty...

Yeah, the fact that they are having an Indy direct and not a "Big Switch third party showcase" speaks volumes.

Nintendo has treated their "Nindies" separately for a while. They get displayed at different events, get exclusive hands-on events for press (expect "Nindie" write-ups from media this week from an embargoed event from last week), and occasionally get their own Directs or their own designated segments in Directs. For whatever reason, Nintendo promote indie stuff separately. It's pretty rare that you see an indie game promoted alongside the other major games (the current example would be Fast RMX being part of the Switch touring event but no other indies).

We know from Nintendo's announced games that they have enough third-party games coming out in the next few months to show in a Direct. That said, if your point was to reiterate that Switch has less third-party (particularly Western third-party support) than PS4 and Xbox One, then I agree with that undeniable fact.

Cerium

I'm worried about how Yooka-Laylee on Switch will turn out, especially if Wii U didn't work at all for them. It'd be nice to get the first footage in this video to assuage my fears. Perhaps I should have asked for a PS4 code and not had to deal with this uncertainty...

They can't do better than 30fps on PS4, there's good reason to be concerned.

noshten

Most late indie game ports on the Vita went on to become the definitive version for me as the other versions were handicapped in retrospect by not being portable. Depends what people want from a version, for me portability beats pretty much everything else, I couldn't care less about achievements. To each their own.

Quick two player on the go and console like graphics from a handheld are pretty much the main selling points for anyone looking at the device as an upgrade to their 3DS/Vita.
I'm probably carrying my pro controller and grip if I bring the Switch anywhere with me. I usually carry a bag around anyway since I get around with a bicycle. Gotta buy a bunch of indies around mid March - I can imagine finding a nice bench in the park having a beer with someone and playing Fast RMX.

Considering how quickly you are able to port compared to 3DS and Wii U I can imagine the first few months the device will get a ton of indie support, I just hope new Switch owners aren't too busy playing Zelda. I think the information from the Creators Confrence is very relevant as well as the $500 price tag of the dev kit.

this chart shows the of the amount of people needed to finalize a port on the different Nintendo systems.

3DS - 4 people × 4 months
Wii U - 5 people × 3 months
Switch - 2 people × 1 month

ITSMILNER

I want the indie support to be big on Switch, I would happily buy all my indie games on Switch as long as performance is solid. I much prefer playing them on a handheld than the TV

Cuburt

I'm hoping for a lot of indie announcements for the future.

Between the form factor and the ease of development, not to mention the excitement from developers, I can't help but feel that the Switch will be such a great platform for indie games.

Honestly, certain announcements for the Switch would make me geek out and I haven't felt that way about the potential for indie games for any platform ever, especially not above AAA support. It just seems like there is so much potential to get excited about.

E-phonk

Banned
tbh, what i like the most about indies on Switch is that most indie games are the kind of games I like to play portable.
Curious to see what they will announce.

Rive is coming now with exclusive expansion.

Crazy so many indie games. I love it. This system is so much better than the Wii U.

Rive is coming now with exclusive expansion.

Crazy so many indie games. I love it. This system is so much better than the Wii U.

Exclusive expansion eh? No chance of it coming to other versions?

Indie exclusivity always seems strange to me, the 1 month exclusive Shovel Knight campaign is strange too.

One more day. I wonder if it'll be a live presentation? I remember they did a live Indie presentation one year, but I can't remember where. Maybe Seattle?

I'll be very surprised if there's no Yooka-Laylee news. They need to let Nintendo fans know what's up.

I really hope so. I'm getting physical on PS4, but I really want to play on Nintendo Hardware... it just makes sense haha.

I'm interested to learn more about multiplayer - I actually had a lot of fun with Banjo-Tooie's multiplayer. Having two Joy-Con and being able to play that way would be awesome.

jariw

Can't think of anything bigger tbh.

Edit: But then I remember people claiming that there are segments of the game that would apparently be impossible to replicate on anything that's not a PC.

But that specific part of the game can be rewritten. It doesn't become exactly the same end game, but it's doable.

Lingitiz

Can't think of anything bigger tbh.

Edit: But then I remember people claiming that there are segments of the game that would apparently be impossible to replicate on anything that's not a PC.

They would have to change certain sections for sure. It'd lose some of the charm but I don't think it should be a reason why the game can't be ported.

GameXplain said there will be a "big" indie game in this presentation. I wonder what will be.

Ooooh, source?

My bets are Undertale or Rocket League. (I hope Undetale tbh).

Do we know if this presentation will be more like a Treehouse where it shows extended gameplay of indie titles or more like a direct that lasts an hour or so that gives snippets of info and gameplay?

Just trying to decided if I can put this on while I'm on the stairmaster (direct style) or if I should stay at my desk and keep it in a separate tab (treehouse style).

Rocket League would be a lot more appealing to me if there was a way to play the Switch online whilst travelling but sadly there isn't. I don't know anyone who is getting a Switch so if I were to play Rocket League in portable mode I'd be stuck against the Ai :/

boiled goose

good with gravy
My biggest hesitant with buying indies on Switch is Nintendo's bad and uncertain digital content management.

If I buy digital on steam I know what I'm buying. Games will forever be tied to my account and there whenever I upgrade my pc.

On Nintendo who knows what the fuck it means.
Too uncertain too risky. Would have bought shovel night long ago.

Rocket League would be a lot more appealing to me if there was a way to play the Switch online whilst travelling but sadly there isn't. I don't know anyone who is getting a Switch so if I were to play Rocket League in portable mode I'd be stuck against the Ai :/

Don't some trains and buses have public Wifi nowadays?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
GameXplain said there will be a "big" indie game in this presentation. I wonder what will be.
OMG OMG ROCKETE LEAGUE CONFIRMED HYYYYYYYPPPEEE!

If it's not Rocket League I'm going to cry. If it is Rocket League I'm still going to cry. Portable Rocket League. It's the stuff of dreams.

Top Bottom