• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch officially passes Xbox 360 and PS3 lifetime sales on the road to #1

Thaedolus

Are people who are pointing out Nintendo cannibalized their handheld market factoring in the huge profit margins they’re getting by having the Switch hardware and software all priced at console levels? DS games didn’t cost $60 new, and Nintendo hasn’t cut the price on their hardware 4.5 years in. They’re shedding no tears having unified their development pipeline and making record profits. Switch is a beast, no ifs ands or buts.

Impotaku

You cant compare handheld sales to consoles I hate how this industry let's fanboys rewrite the rules. Nintendo fans dont want to be left out of console sell conversation well they need to tell Nintendo to make a console then.
So why cant you compare them?

A sale is a sale, i know people on here love to go with the whole switch isn't a real console narrative because it truly triggers them that nintendo released a console that despite it been a fraction of the power of next gen it's destroying them in sales it breaks the fantasy world built in their heads that nintendo is no longer relevant, in the the real world nobody gives a fuck they just want fun games and the switch provides by the bucketload which is why it dominates the charts. Somehow there's also the goalpost moving bullshit that the switch only has "mobile/handheld" games not real console so those sales somehow don't count either as they are not proper console games which is strange as in the instances when the same games get released multiplat across all systems the switch isn't getting some mobile dumbed down version it's the exact same game it's not somehow missing levels or other huge amounts of cut content to make it a "mobile" game to fit the switch. The only type of downgrade that you could say is has is the res sometimes takes a hit but it's still the exact same game.

Are people who are pointing out Nintendo cannibalized their handheld market factoring in the huge profit margins they’re getting by having the Switch hardware and software all priced at console levels? DS games didn’t cost $60 new, and Nintendo hasn’t cut the price on their hardware 4.5 years in. They’re shedding no tears having unified their development pipeline and making record profits. Switch is a beast, no ifs ands or buts.

Not all games are released at $60 well certainly not in japan where i buy the majority of my switch stuff, there have been quite a few switch releases of older games & even 3DS/DS games and they are usually between the 3000 yen & 5000 yen price point. Even nintendo 1st party stuff isn't all at the $60 pricepoint.

Woopah

Since when do we compare handhelds vs home consoles, Technically Switch lite should be separate numbers to the main console.

You cant compare handheld sales to consoles I hate how this industry let's fanboys rewrite the rules. Nintendo fans dont want to be left out of console sell conversation well they need to tell Nintendo to make a console then.
Handheld and console sales have been compared for decades (NPD, Media Create, Famitsu etc.) They are all dedicated video game platforms afterall.

Why would we suddenly change now?

Marty-McFly

Banned
Which sales trackers? This is Zhuges graphs. If I were any decent tracker I wouldn't even care about the distinction and call them game consoles.

People use smartphones now instead of dumb phones for a reason and it's not because they like swiping to end a call.
A lot of people will buy switch for its portability but it doesn't mean they don't like to also play at home. I'm just saying to deny that people buy switch due to its portability is to bury your head in the sand. The DS sold gangbusters vs the Wii U even though they were both "video game consoles". As far as I know DS sold more than the PS2 even. Switch is not only Wii U's successor but also the DS'.
He is a sales tracker and works for a firm, as does Matt Piscatella (NPD). None of them consider Switch a portable.

Three

He is a sales tracker and works for a firm, as does Matt Piscatella (NPD). None of them consider Switch a portable.
None of them consider it a "home console" either. They just call them consoles or hardware platforms. Why is this important to you?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

None of the consider it a "home console" either. They just call them consoles or hardware platforms. Why is this important to you?
Why is it important to people insisting against all credible evidence that it's "just" a portable? Just because an iPhone or an iPad is "portable" doesn't also mean it's not a personal computer.

The Switch is a game console. Everyone needs to get over it.

Three

Why is it important to people insisting against all credible evidence that it's "just" a portable? Just because an iPhone or an iPad is "portable" doesn't also mean it's not a personal computer.

The Switch is a game console. Everyone needs to get over it.
I don't think anyone is suggesting it's 'just' a portable or that iPhone is 'just' a phone. I think that's the point. If people had some understanding of other peoples opinions though they might get why for example you won't compare iPhone sales to Surface sales or something to that effect. In the end it's fanboys trying to claim a win on either side and it matters only to them.

Dr Bass

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's 'just' a portable or that iPhone is 'just' a phone. I think that's the point. If people had some understanding of other peoples opinions though they might get why for example you won't compare iPhone sales to Surface sales or something to that effect. In the end it's fanboys trying to claim a win on either side and it matters only to them.
There are plenty of people in this thread insisting Switch is literally just a portable and it's not a console. I don't understand it, unless it's really fear of it beating out their more preferred systems. I seriously can't believe people care about that kinda stuff.

Three

There are plenty of people in this thread insisting Switch is literally just a portable and it's not a console. I don't understand it, unless it's really fear of it beating out their more preferred systems. I seriously can't believe people care about that kinda stuff.
Where are those people? All I've seen are people saying its a portable and shouldn't be compared just as people may say iPhone is a phone and shouldn't be compared to Surface and Macs. Doesn't make iPhone just a phone, doesn't make Switch just a portable but you can see if you were impartial where the markets might differ and overlap.

Dr Bass

Where are those people? All I've seen are people saying its a portable and shouldn't be compared just as people may say iPhone is a phone and shouldn't be compared to Surface and Macs. Doesn't make iPhone just a phone, doesn't make Switch just a portable but you can see if you were impartial where the markets might differ and overlap.
Have you been reading the thread? It's so long because of this argument.

Its a handheld.
The switch is not a console.
Switch is not a console, it's a hybrid: a portable with tv-out. In fact Switch Lite is a handheld and not a hybrid. So Switch is more a portable than a console.

These kinds of comments are littered throughout the entire thread. So yeah ... That's where those people are.

Three

Have you been reading the thread? It's so long because of this argument.

These kinds of comments are littered throughout the entire thread. So yeah ... That's where those people are.
Same thing

"The iPhone is a phone"
"The iPhone isn't a PC"

Doesn't mean the iPhone is 'just' a phone.
Now mix in some Nokia real dumb phones which are just a phone in the sales figure too and you can at least see where the argument is. Still as I've said it really shouldn't matter and the people who it actually matters to are those fighting vigorously for a dumb win.

StormCell

Yeah Switch should be compared to home system+handheld combined numbers.

It is kind of funny, how some people say that switch is hybrid, when it works for their agenda, and then when it doesnt, it is not mentioned.

Like when comparing Switch sales to home consoles, it is just not fair. There is literally a handheld only version of switch available.

What would be fair? Either compare it to Wii+DS sales, or make a new category for hybrids, which would be fair IMO.

Or take best selling Playstation home console + handheld and combine those numbers vs switch.
Okay, then Wii + DS, SNES + GB, ...., etc.

Ill give you one other fair comparison. Profit margin on Switch > profit margins on Wii AND DS combined. I mean, they're still selling Switch for $300 and just found a way to sell it for $350. It's printing money.

StormCell

So recently I began streaming my Xbox Series X out to my phone and playing with a controller.

Xbox Series is more portable than a console. :messenger_open_mouth:

Chastten

Banned
Oh man, this topic is absolutely golden.

Now, I consider myself a pretty big nerd but I couldn't give a rats ass if Switch is considered a handheld or console. I mean, I think it's the latter, because it's a dedicated plastic toy designed to play games, just like the PlayStation and Xbox. But hey, if people wanna consider it something else, who cares?

All I care about is that it sells well and is guaranteed a few more years of support.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh man, this topic is absolutely golden.

Now, I consider myself a pretty big nerd but I couldn't give a rats ass if Switch is considered a handheld or console. I mean, I think it's the latter, because it's a dedicated plastic toy designed to play games, just like the PlayStation and Xbox. But hey, if people wanna consider it something else, who cares?

All I care about is that it sells well and is guaranteed a few more years of support.
Warriors care a lot.

If Switch is a console, it will overtake PS4 as a bigger seller.

If Switch is a handheld, it "can't" be compared to PS4.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Okay, then Wii + DS, SNES + GB, ...., etc.

Ill give you one other fair comparison. Profit margin on Switch > profit margins on Wii AND DS combined. I mean, they're still selling Switch for $300 and just found a way to sell it for $350. It's printing money.
At $350 it's literally selling at the same price they sold Wii + DS Lite (not accounting for inflation)

Chastten

Banned
Yeah, but people in this thread are just weird. Like, really, really weird.

Nintendo needs to sell as much as the Wii and DS combined otherwise it's a failure? What is this crap?

I mean, there was a point in time when Sony was selling the PS2, PS3 and PSP, meaning their installed base at their height was like 300 million. That doesn't mean the PS4 was a failure because it only sold a 'measly' 120 million.

Both Sony and Nintendo are breaking records left and right, both in dollar sales and in unit numbers, and even Microsoft is doing alright. The market is healthier than it has ever been. And that's not even taking into account the insane numbers mobile gaming does. I'd say people can just be happy and enjoy their plastic box of choice without any worries.

yurinka

Quite a bit of incorrect information here.
Bullshit.

It’s only been bundled with a free game on Black Friday with Mario Kart 8, which counts for a very small amount of Switches sold. Other “bundles” have been the full price of the system plus the full price of the game.
I don't know the price, what I said is that it has been bundled with games (and not only MK, with more), which is true.
Some examples:
switch-console-11-azul-amarillo-edician-especial-fortnite.jpg

consola-nintendo-switch-11-monster-hunter-rise.jpg

1488075416_nintendo_switch_big_w_launch_day_bundle_deals.jpg

Nintendo does not count digital only games in its software totals; Sony does. So comparisons between the two are not apples to apples. Regardless, Switch already has a tie rate over 7, and it will only grow as the system ages.
Not true. Nintendo mentions the total sofware units sold here (notice it says at the end: "*The numbers shown above are worldwide consolidated sales in units life-to-date."):
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

And look at this other page (notice it says at the end "Nintendo Switch software includes the downloadable version of Nintendo Switch card software.", which isn't the same than 'download only software not included"). If you think it means it doesn't include digital only games, then you must also think it doesn't include physical copies of the games.

It would be so dumb if Nintendo wouldn't report some of their sales, specially the digital only ones since they are more profitable than the physical ones. It doesn't make sense at all.

Nintendo Selects have launched anywhere from 3-6 years after launch of a system. Switch is approaching 4 1/2 years since launch. If such a line is coming, it could launch anytime in the next two years and still be consistent with pest systems. However, given the length of this console’s life is projected to be longer, they may wait longer to launch the line. They‘ve done one for every system except for NES and virtual boy.
A big Nintendo guy said some time ago (months I think) that Switch was in the middle of its lifecycle. Which means they plan it to last a total of 8-9 years, which is consistent with their previous devices. And obviously they will release its successor a year or two before.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Warriors care a lot.

If Switch is a console, it will overtake PS4 as a bigger seller.

If Switch is a handheld, it "can't" be compared to PS4.
The truth lies in between.

It's both. A hybrid. The Switch. Marketed and distributed as such. It will always be compared to home only consoles because of this, not to mention its software model is 100% home console oriented with full priced, full featured games. This is where it differentiates from portable only platforms with the ability to purchase TV out features as an afterthought. So whether people like it or not, it will always be in the conversation with home only console platforms and directly compared to their sales by the gaming market at large.

Also, after 76 months on the market, it's selling faster than any gaming device, portable or home console, than any other gaming company has ever released.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

But it does matter mate. They've made it the form it is so it could be a portable. It has all the features of a portable. It's a portable. Them giving it a dock doesn't make it a traditional, stationary home console. Otherwise we'll have to consider the PSP Go a traditional home console too. Just the same. A portable, and a dock for TV gaming.

Even phones have docks for TV gaming. Doesn't make them consoles.

That's the whole argument. It's a great portable. We don't need to blur the lines.
This

MrFunSocks

Banned
Doubtful, because those people don't think logically about these things. I mean Nintendo just had their most profitable year ever, and some people are still concerned lol. Sony make a fraction of the profit that nintendo do and it's "PLAYSTATION IS A BEAST" all over the place, but Nintendo for some reason are always supposedly failing.

It's outselling the PS5 for crying out loud, yet all we hear about is how amazing sony's sales are lol.

Last edited:
Doubtful, because those people don't think logically about these things. I mean Nintendo just had their most profitable year ever, and some people are still concerned lol. Sony make a fraction of the profit that nintendo do and it's "PLAYSTATION IS A BEAST" all over the place, but Nintendo for some reason are always supposedly failing.

It's outselling the PS5 for crying out loud, yet all we hear about is how amazing sony's sales are lol.
I see this post and look at your avatar and i get confused. :p

Marty-McFly

Banned
Well, as history proves, the majority writes the narrative and the rules.

I remember in the Wii days people didn't really have an argument that the Wii was not a home console they just didn't want to compare it because it was "different".

In fact, an overwhelming population considered Nintendo's success with the Wii lightening in a bottle. I guess Nintendo is lucky like that in that they can repeatedly catch more lightning than Link on a stormy day in Hyrule. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
Not true. Nintendo mentions the total sofware units sold here (notice it says at the end: "*The numbers shown above are worldwide consolidated sales in units life-to-date."):
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

And look at this other page (notice it says at the end "Nintendo Switch software includes the downloadable version of Nintendo Switch card software.", which isn't the same than 'download only software not included"). If you think it means it doesn't include digital only games, then you must also think it doesn't include physical copies of the games.

It would be so dumb if Nintendo wouldn't report some of their sales, specially the digital only ones since they are more profitable than the physical ones. It doesn't make sense at all.
Then Nintendo is dumb, because you're wrong.

nintendopukot.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210805e.pdf

S0ULZB0URNE

Well, as history proves, the majority writes the narrative and the rules.

I remember in the Wii days people didn't really have an argument that the Wii was not a home console they just didn't want to compare it because it was "different".

In fact, an overwhelming population considered Nintendo's success with the Wii lightening in a bottle. I guess Nintendo is lucky like that in that they can repeatedly catch more lightning than Link on a stormy day in Hyrule. :messenger_ok:
I see it more as Nintendo can't compete in the home market without gimmicks.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I see it more as Nintendo dominating the home and portable market simultaneously because they are now focusing all of their resources on one platform.

Many have argued the Wii was gimmicky because of its motion controls, but motion controls are now a staple of VR and cellphone gaming, so its function survived the test of time and surpassed being a mere gimmick to an innovation that the masses enjoy.

There isn't even an argument that the ability to take your console on the road is a gimmick, it's just a convenience.

MrA

Banned
I see it more as Nintendo dominating the home and portable market simultaneously because they are now focusing all of their resources on one platform.

Many have argued the Wii was gimmicky because of its motion controls, but motion controls are now a staple of VR and cellphone gaming, so its function survived the test of time and surpassed being a mere gimmick to an innovation that the masses enjoy.

There isn't even an argument that the ability to take your console on the road is a gimmick, it's just a convenience.

it's not a convenience or a gimmick, it is increased versatility, if sony released a hybrid ps5 somehow (which would be awesome) it would just increase the versatility, it would straight up be more useful than a traditional console since it can act completely as a console and completely as handheld

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is the biggest thing I see, every time Sony and Microsoft's systems sells well, it celebrated here but when Nintendo's systems sells well people here look down on it.

To me thats really weird.

MrA

Banned
Here is the biggest thing I see, every time Sony and Microsoft's systems sells well, it celebrated here but when Nintendo's systems sells well people here look down on it.

pretty sure plenty of people trivialize the xbox as well, probably largely the same people jumping through hopes as to why the switch doesn't count

Marty-McFly

Banned
it's not a convenience or a gimmick, it is increased versatility, if sony released a hybrid ps5 somehow (which would be awesome) it would just increase the versatility, it would straight up be more useful than a traditional console since it can act completely as a console and completely as handheld
Versatility is a convenience but agreed otherwise.

Kjtc1979

Bullshit.

I don't know the price, what I said is that it has been bundled with games (and not only MK, with more), which is true.
Some examples:
switch-console-11-azul-amarillo-edician-especial-fortnite.jpg

consola-nintendo-switch-11-monster-hunter-rise.jpg

1488075416_nintendo_switch_big_w_launch_day_bundle_deals.jpg
You are trying to counter my point that software wasn’t bundled for free by showing multiple examples of software not being bundled for free?

That is as funny as you citing Nintendo financial reports that clearly state download only software is not included in their software numbers and saying it shows that download only software is included in their software numbers.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
You are trying to counter my point that software wasn’t bundled for free by showing multiple examples of software not being bundled for free?

You're really bad at this.
he's a professional at it, you want to get him really worked up point out that sony's bread and butter is dude-bro casual shooters and sports games,
not the exclusives or niche stuff people generally like here, I'd swear there are people here that think bloodborne sold more PlayStation consoles than cod or fifa
sure I think it'd be awesome if bloodborne, or shadow of the colossus or gravity rush was as important as fifa or madden or something, but it just isn't true
granted nintendo fans are guilty of something similar were it'll be like man why is nintendo wasting time with a new smash bros character, everyone is actually excited for bayonetta and metroid prime 4, no no, the average switch user is definitely more excited about the smash bros character

Kamina

Golden Boy
In times like this i like to remember the Switch OP’s first page with it’s Nintendoomed posts.
Classic wall of shame.

bender

What time is it?
In times like this i like to remember the Switch OP’s first page with it’s Nintendoomed posts.
Classic wall of shame.

I was really wrong about how successful the Switch would be was super happy (still am) that Nintendo's development efforts would be focused on one device.

KingT731

he's a professional at it, you want to get him really worked up point out that sony's bread and butter is dude-bro casual shooters and sports games,
not the exclusives or niche stuff people generally like here, I'd swear there are people here that think bloodborne sold more PlayStation consoles than cod or fifa
sure I think it'd be awesome if bloodborne, or shadow of the colossus or gravity rush was as important as fifa or madden or something, but it just isn't true
granted nintendo fans are guilty of something similar were it'll be like man why is nintendo wasting time with a new smash bros character, everyone is actually excited for bayonetta and metroid prime 4, no no, the average switch user is definitely more excited about the smash bros character
Casuals run gaming. I know a lot of people don't want to accept it but thems the breaks. The hardcore are a minority and the folks, like us, on these forums are an even smaller part of that minority.

This. Some people here seem to think just because they found some like-minded that also keep praising cinematic 3rd person action adventures/soulsgames/japanese stuff and hating Fortnite/Ubisoft/EA it must apply to the whole world. But the reality is that the vast majority doesn't give a shit about those games.

yurinka

Then Nintendo is dumb, because you're wrong.

nintendopukot.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210805e.pdf
Yes, they are dumb and I'm wrong. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That is as funny as you citing Nintendo financial reports that clearly state download only software is not included in their software numbers and saying it shows that download only software is included in their software numbers.
I was showing facts that proven you were wrong when saying that the console didn't have bundles or that it was only bundled with MK, I shown you some of the examples of the console blundled with multiple games. In almost all cases the console bundles are more expensive than when the console is sold alone, that's obvius.

Regarding the digital only games, I shown some facts and Bernd provided another one to counter mine to prove me wrong, as should be done with proper debate.

Last edited:

Mozza

Surprising nobody
Sure surprised a lot of people on this classic thread.

MagnesG

Banned
Yes, they are dumb and I'm wrong. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was showing facts that proven you were wrong when saying that the console didn't have bundles or that it was only bundled with MK, I shown you some of the examples of the console blundled with multiple games. In almost all cases the console bundles are more expensive than when the console is sold alone, that's obvius.

Regarding the digital only games, I shown some facts and Bernd provided another one to counter mine to prove me wrong, as should be done with proper debate.
Who's the dumb one here again?

Last edited:

Mozza

Handheld and console sales have been compared for decades (NPD, Media Create, Famitsu etc.) They are all dedicated video game platforms afterall.

Why would we suddenly change now?
Because all of sudden Nintendo may have a shot at beating the sales of the mighty PS2, which we all know would be the end of the world, as we know it. ;)

Mozza

Or try to downgrade it's success in some way or other, like suggesting it's not really a console for example. ;)

yurinka

When even a dumb one doesn't realize he's dumb, a serial flip-flopper with no accountability. A clear showing of incompetence, probably more so in real life.
Maybe you're talking about yourself, I'm a pretty successful gamedev with over a decade and a half of working experience who started in a tiny studio that got bought a couple of times by leading companies and broke important records (both the studios of the game and the division I ran) in 3 different types of game market, worked in different areas of gamedev being the first one engineering, speaks 3 languages, has a way higher than average IQ, gave masterclasses at important universities and now is working on a personal, unique project.

Not what people calls dumb or incompetent. Go to troll somebody else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom