• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch officially supports Vulkan and OpenGL 4.5, certified by Khronos.

jmga

r6s5xZJ.png

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#vulkan

lIjJB6q.png

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#opengl

Also OpenGL ES

RHQFBA8.png

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products#opengles

More info.

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nintendo-Switch-Vulkan-Conform

Is it called the Nintendo OS or is that just what they call an OS for any system? (Playstation OS, Xbox OS, etc?)
Missed opportunity with NintendOS if so.

nubbe

Great, vulkan reaches all platforms but Xbone and Apple 🎉

Pretty sure I read PS4 would support vulkan.

LordRaptor

Not really, most game consoles either don't support OpenGL, or greatly discourage it's use (I think 3DS offered minimal support for OpenGL ES, and that's about it)

Uhhhh... no?
Basically everyone on the planet not using DirectX which is MS exclusive is using OpenGL in some form.

jmga

I wonder if NVN API is just a superset of Vulkan and if they could expose the same functionality via Vulkan extensions on Tegra devices and/or desktop GPUs.

rje

Uhhhh... no?
Basically everyone on the planet not using DirectX which is MS exclusive is using OpenGL in some form.

This isn't true on consoles. Console developers will often offer an opengl like wrapper but many games don't use it because of performance issues.

novabolt

Aren't they essentially the same?

Would a $110 sears gift card change your mind?
Isn't Vulcan considered better?

I remember reading that it was true or DX12 just edges it out.

Does DX12 even work? Or rather, work better for anyhting other than AMD?

I do know at least Vulkan doesn't have issues with frame pacing like DX12 does. Also also show improvements on both AMD and Nvidia.

What frame pacing you talking about? *Sips Sfried a $110 Starbucks gift-card*

LordOfChaos

Cool. I guess NVN being the low level Vulkan-like API, OpenGL still being there for the hand holding API (meaning that non-condescendingly, sometimes low level APIs are enough rope for a smaller studio to hang themselves with)

rje

Do you mean writing software renderers? In which case, sure, I doubt many people are doing that on console.

No console except the X1 is using DX12

No, I mean that the various consoles all have native graphics apis that are neither DX12 nor Opengl, but are similar in spirit to the low overhead systems you find in dx12/vulkan. e.g. on PS4 it's called GNM and GNMX.

M3d10n

Cool. I guess NVN being the low level Vulkan-like API, OpenGL still being there for the hand holding API (meaning that non-condescendingly, sometimes low level APIs are enough rope for a smaller studio to hang themselves with)

Since NVidia is handling the graphics libraries, I expect all APIs to offer good performance (no "gotcha" situations like using OpenGL on the PS3), so they are available mostly for convenience.

LordOfChaos

Since NVidia is handling the graphics libraries, I expect all APIs to offer good performance (no "gotcha" situations like using OpenGL on the PS3), so they are available mostly for convenience.

If I'm being picky OpenGL ES 1.0 with Cg for shaders != regular OpenGL, was commonly called 'PSGL', with an appearance of OpenGL being available through an even slower wrapper. but yeah, it was vastly slower than LibGCM, and LibGCM was hard to learn, hence PS3s early stumbles.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
As I mentioned in the other thread, this is quite important. Vulkan for actual big cross-platform titles, and GL and GLES for small-shop indies (think appstore calibre).

Gestault

lol .. don't be naive.
There is less overhead with Vulkan, you need to see DOOM 2016 running with Vulkan. amazing stuff.

Is there a noticeable difference? I've been running the Steam release on a 1070 with the standard renderer and didn't know there was a reason one way or the other. The Nvidia Experience flags the Vulcan launcher as a separate title.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nintendo has been a member Khronos consortium for a while, yet the Switch supporting Vulkan and OpenGL is a nice surprise. Didn't excepted it to happen for some reason.

What for? They already had coding to the metal libraries on the PS4 for a long while before Vulkan, DX12 or Mantle for that matter even got to PC's.

You see no value in a single solid open source rendering API that performs well across many different sets of hardware? Convenience matters.

You see no value in a single solid open source rendering API that performs well across many different sets of hardware? Convenience matters.

Never gonna happen, aka, Microsoft and DX12.

Besides the PS libraries are already derivative of OpenGL/Es if you want that, not that difficult to code for if you're already doing OpenGL/Vulkan.

Top Bottom