• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch SDK leak: 'Guest Login' and save data transfer are coming

Atheerios

J03sJhF.png

As some of you may know (or not, because the thread was closed), a bunch of dev documents related to Nintendo Switch were leaked, including the full SDK.

While browsing through the leak, I found some interesting details about some future features that are planned to come to the Switch. You can find them for yourself on the 'NX Account Guide'.

The first one, which is more boring, is that save data transfers are indeed coming:

In the future, we plan to provide a feature to transfer account save data among multiple consoles. As a result, there is the possibility that user accounts with uninitialized account save data will be added. Note that your design must work without issue, even in this case.

The second one is about a feature called Guest Login:

We are considering a feature in the future (tentative name: Guest Login) to access existing network service account information without linking to a user account. This feature would allow temporary access to the network service account linked to the Nintendo Account by logging in to the Nintendo Account within the application. This feature would, for example, make it possible to upload a character you have raised as online data and then use that data on a friend's NX (without creating a user account).

We do not plan to provide this feature for the NX launch.

The docs also talk about other features that were recently announced and introduced to Switch like the News Channels.

There's definitely nothing groundbreaking here, but at least we know that Nintendo will actually work to improve the OS and usability.

P.S.: The image also comes from the leaked docs, and you can find the whole set of cute illustrations here: https://imgur.com/a/Cq0Gv

BY2K

Membero Americo
This feature would, for example, make it possible to upload a character you have raised as online data and then use that data on a friend's NX (without creating a user account).

That sounds pretty fucking useful.

nynt9

Just as a reminder from Modbot from the last thread:

This thread is mostly going to be false homebrew=piracy equivalency garbage, which is against the rules. Those of you who have done so should sleep with one eye open; action could come at any time. I advise that you not engage in such behavior in the future.

Not that a SDK leak would lead to piracy/homebrew. Also save transfer seems like a must.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What I need to know is if I can sub to once and have it work across all of the profiles on my device.

Like I'll sub, but will that allow the rest of my family ie my kids to have online access?

Thoraxes

That sounds pretty fucking useful.

It'd be cool if I could bring like, my Smash/MK win/loss records/loadouts with me anywhere, just by logging into my friend's system, then having that data auto-sync with my Switch at home when I finish.

Kolma

Great for families that bought one switch at launch and eventually want to have everyone have their own switch.

NateDrake

It'd be cool if I could bring like, my Smash/MK win/loss records/loadouts with me anywhere, just by logging into my friend's system, then having that data auto-sync with my Switch at home when I finish.

Isn't this what people hoped amiibo would allow people to do?

Kolma

can the joycons hold information like the Wii Remote for quick logins? or maybe once the App is released a QR code can be scanned for quick login on a friend's Switch.

I know I don't want to have to type in my username and password every time i want to guest login at a friend's house.

Is account save data the same as game save data? The more I read that statement the more it seems to only pertain to actual account data and not the actual game save data.

But I'm not 100% sure how account ownership mingles with game save data, or if game save data is PART of account save data.

Not

Banned
Hope it's soon

I'm going to accidentally put a waterjet through my switch and lose 135 hours of Zelda

Atheerios

Another interesting tidbit: I'm starting to realize why Joy-cons cost as much, they really have a lot of technology packed in, including a full image processing chip for the IR Camera:

puHnIIR.png

sRNG4Wt.png

Blizzard

Banned
It's frustrating to see this leak when I still can't get access to the SDK or purchase a devkit, even as an indie developer who purchased a Wii-U devkit.

That hand-tracking stuff looks neat.

RRockman

Banned
Another interesting tidbit: I'm starting to realize why Joy-cons cost as much, they really have a lot of technology packed in, including a full image processing chip for the IR Camera:

puHnIIR.png

sRNG4Wt.png

This is super cool. Could this have kinetic like application if there is a way to link a joycon to a pc?

Vena

It's frustrating to see this leak when I still can't get access to the SDK or purchase a devkit, even as an indie developer who purchased a Wii-U devkit.

On the flip, this is from October 2016 so its really old and doesn't really help any one do anything (and a lot of the info in here is old, so may not even be correct in terms of "planned" features). Even hackers gain little from this, its just an old SDK leak for 15 minutes of fame for some random anon.

atbigelow

I feel ya, man. It's been incredibly frustrating.

This is super cool. Could this have kinetic like application if there is a way to link a joycon to a pc?
JoyCons already pair natively via bluetooth. But there's still a lot of work involved to try and get more than just basics.

Dominator

I turned my Switch on today and there is a blue spot on the screen, don't even know what it is or what its from. Was going to get it repaired soon but if they are going to allow data transfers soon I'll hold off until I can do that. Will give it 2 months or so, if we hear no word I'll send it in.

puHnIIR.png

sRNG4Wt.png

The joycons are really underrated tecnologically. This is some impressive stuff.

Vena

I turned my Switch on today and there is a blue spot on the screen, don't even know what it is or what its from. Was going to get it repaired soon but if they are going to allow data transfers soon I'll hold off until I can do that. Will give it 2 months or so, if we hear no word I'll send it in.

They can transfer (and will) for you.

NimbusD

puHnIIR.png

sRNG4Wt.png

I really want to know what the condos were that made this included. I doubt it'll ever be used for a game again, outside of a Wario ware type of game. Interesting tech but the placement on the controller makes it useless for any normal gameplay.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love a back up feature for my saves. transfer is great, but if my switch dies/gets stolen, I'd love a back up that I can use on a new switch

Bluth54

puHnIIR.png

sRNG4Wt.png

Honestly given the awkward position of the IR camera I wonder how often it's going to be used for games. I kinda get the feeling that very few games are going to use it and it's going to turn into a waste of money for Nintendo to include those in all the right joy-cons but we'll have to see.

faridmon

Great for families that bought one switch at launch and eventually want to have everyone have their own switch.

Thats me in a Nutshell

Thank god for this update, because now me and my sister (and my younger brother to certain degree) Can enjoy the games without any worry about save data, etc

Roo

can the joycons hold information like the Wii Remote for quick logins? or maybe once the App is released a QR code can be scanned for quick login on a friend's Switch.

I know I don't want to have to type in my username and password every time i want to guest login at a friend's house.
I don't think the joycons have any kind of internal memory like the Wii Remotes did.
Could be wrong tho.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand what this guest log in thing means, can anyone explain it?

right now you need an account on the console to play games. except for 1-2-switch.

there will be a guest option when you start a game in the future

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
"We plan to" does not sound as if savegame exchange is coming anytime soon or is set to be definitely implemented.

-shadow-

Here's hoping they'll pull through on the implementation of save transfer/sync in the future. Friend of mine bought two games on my Switch and played them a bit, but as of now would lose his save once his account is unlinked from my Switch.

Turrican3

Most important news to me, the confirmation the IR camera range *is* actually greater than 30cm when used with so called reflective "markers".

That would mean IR pointing with the R JoyCon *could* be possible with just a couple of markers on the TV, I think... assuming that unspecified distance of this particular use case is enough, that is.

Chauzu

I still think cloud saves is the most likely backup save option, since it's the method least open to exploits.

Yea, we have just the one right now but when right type of games have arrived (Animal Crossing and Pokemon for example) my partner will likely want her own so we can play locally together. Being able to peel an account off the system to another and take Splatoon 2 progress with me or whatever in that circumstance would be much preferred.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't want fucking "save transfer" to anther console. I went save BACKUP, preferably with cloud sync.

EDIT: Unless that's what this means. The wording isn't very clear.

FinalAres

I don't want fucking "save transfer" to anther console. I went save BACKUP, preferably with cloud sync.

EDIT: Unless that's what this means. The wording isn't very clear.
This is my worry. If I get a new Switch model I'd probably trade in the old one. Having to keep both switches to transfer between them is not convenient at all.

Honestly given the awkward position of the IR camera I wonder how often it's going to be used for games. I kinda get the feeling that very few games are going to use it and it's going to turn into a waste of money for Nintendo to include those in all the right joy-cons but we'll have to see.

It seems the most poorly considered addition on the surface, because it's basically the only JoyCon feature that isn't on both sides (not counting the capure and Home buttons), and it was left off of the Pro Controller for some reason.

Top Bottom