• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch upgrade delimma

Pasedo

Anyone else on the fence whether to upgrade to the V2 Switch or the Switch Lite? My reason to upgrade is that with a trade in its not going to cost that much extra to get a new V2 Switch and even less with the Switch Lite. I always have this urge to get the new thing out but I can't decide between the two. I play in portable mode on the system. My main gripe with the current system is that when playing first person shooters like Wolf or Doom ports the image quality is really blurry. I imagine it's going to be the same for upcoming ports. I was hoping the new V2 hardware would somewhat make things sharper with improved internals and although the internals are somewhat improved it makes no difference to image quality. I'm thinking with the Switch Lite being a smaller screen the image quality would appear sharper therefore I might be happier with this. Also we don't yet know if there will be a performance boost in portable mode for the Switch Lite - considering it's designed for this.

I can also see a personal benefit of the V2 extreme battery life. Although I have a portable charger it does get clunky and annoying to have to carry around all the time.

So right now I'm making the decision to wait until the Switch Lite gets a proper tear down and then make a decision. Though it's still painfully two weeks away.

Anyone else stuck in this same dilemma?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you always play Portable, it sounds like the Lite could be your jam.

I’d just ask yourself, are you willing to trade in a slightly bigger screen, HD Rumble, Labo, and the kickstand and detachable controllers? And even though docked isn’t something you do much, are you okay with tossing the remote possibility? Or same system multiplayer and gesture motion controls like ARMS (you can do this on the Lite, but the screen is so small...)?

In return, would a D-Pad and a more portable system (complete with a big weight reduction also) be something you want?

Last edited:

Banned
well with next gen coming around the corner, I'm in dillema too grabbing the v2 or waiting for inevitable switch pro as my hand is quite full right now

by the way when you are choosing v2 vs switch lite you have to also consider what type of game that you will play, some games like xenoblade 2 seems doesn't run optimally in handheld mode, so yeah....

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i am getting the lite
and the pro later.

My reasons? Local offline coop. not sharing the screen.
Diablo 3 and terraria + stardew and more

Pasedo

I've kinda given up on a pro. Unless I've missed something.. is there any credible info it's actually happening? I'm sure a successor that's better will come out but I reckon we're stuck with a V2 or Lite for some time and Id rather get one or the other at the beginning of their life cycle to maximise the investment.

Vawn

Banned
People acting like a "Pro" has been confirmed. The original Pro leak from WSJ, was the 2.0 longer battery Switch.

There is no Pro confirmed - or even rumored outside of unfounded speculation. People waiting for something that might never come are missing the entire generation.

Last edited:
I "upgraded" to the new revision with no regrets. My launch model has seen ALOT of use. The kickstand didn't stay clipped anymore, the back was starting to leave a gap between it and the console and the joycons were bound to start drifting soon. I sold it for cheap to a friend who couldn't afford a full price switch and was happy to take my used console for cheap.

Weilthain

Banned
I would go for the new big switch if I was a new buyer.

Playing on the tv is just great, then taking that same experience to the handheld mode is also just great.

Saying that, I have 2 original switch models already yet I will be getting another switch lite when it comes out “for my kid” 😉.

I can live without the newer model with better battery although that would be a big upgrade.

As soon as they do a wicked gold Zelda edition I’ll get one.

Reactions: Isa

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I like the lite, because I can’t stand using the switch without joycons, and for me it’s a bit too big to hold. It feels awkward holding it in portable, to the point I use it on its stand with a pro controller or tv play.

However, the lite has no docked mode, and that’s where I plays 99% of the time.

But the upgrade is mainly for battery, so again, pointless for me.

When they do their eventual real upgrade, then I’ll dive in. But for now, it seems pointless.

Last edited:

radewagon

My main gripe with the current system is that when playing first person shooters like Wolf or Doom ports the image quality is really blurry. I imagine it's going to be the same for upcoming ports. I was hoping the new V2 hardware would somewhat make things sharper with improved internals and although the internals are somewhat improved it makes no difference to image quality.

Sounds like you should, like myself and many others, hold out for a potential Switch Pro. Nintendo would be crazy to not release a half-step upgrade with Sony and MS being on the verge of releasing new hardware.

Also, with the Lite, I think it would be wise to take a wait and see approach. There's still no word on whether it will have the "drift" issue of the current hardware. If it does have the same defect, replacing the sticks won't be the mostly painless process it is for the joycons. You'd have to send the whole unit in.

DESTROYA

The only positive the new Switch has over the OG is battery life, I thought about myself for a long time too but decided against it. My launch of Switch still looks brand new so there’s really no point of upgrading.
The new Switch’s screen is reported to be slightly different also. Link below

Going by this I have to say the OG Switches screen looks much nicer to me.

ZELDA-SHOT.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-08-at-3.06.20-PM.png

McRazzle

Might want to wait a while.
The Nikkei rumor from earlier this year stated a more powerful device would launch later in the year after the launch of the Switch mini, and that it would not be a Switch Pro but a "full model change", which seemed to indicate a traditional console.
It's probably bullshit, but Nintendo may want to offer something for a different audience.
If not, then likely a Switch Pro next year.

Also, the Wall Street Journal quoted a SHARP executive that they would be providing IGZO displays for Nintendo's new game machines.
And, apparently the Switch revision doesn't seem to have an IGZO display, and the Switch Mini's battery life scales exactly with the Switch revision when taking into account the smaller battery; the Switch Lite probably doesn't have an IGZO display either.
This could mean one of two things, it's for the Switch Pro or....it could be a screen on the controller of a traditional home game console that could be used for VR, just as Sony has been rumored to be doing for the PS5.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
If not, then likely a Switch Pro next year.

Want to bet? If given even odds, I'd bet significant money we don't see a Pro anytime in 2020. I put the odds at it ever happening around 50/50.

If you want to play a Switch and its games, I suggest just get it and enjoy it now. Of course, newer, shiner stuff will always come out eventually.

Whatever it is you're waiting around for will be outclassed itself a couple years later. This is video games.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Getting the latest version of anything makes sense. Nintendo doesn't often release alt versions of their consoles like a SONY or Microsoft with their slim and pro versions.

Fbh

Neither of them make me want to upgrade.
If I had to I'd definitely go for the updated regular Switch. The joycons can still offer some nice multiplayer/coop on the go, the battery life is better than the lite and you still get the ability to play stuff on the TV which is nice to have even if you don't use it often. Also the Lite isn't that much smaller so I don't think it gains that much in portability

Getting the latest version of anything makes sense. Nintendo doesn't often release alt versions of their consoles like a SONY or Microsoft with their slim and pro versions.

They did make the new 3DS though. And unlike Sony/MS they released some exclusive games for it

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Neither of them make me want to upgrade.
If I had to I'd definitely go for the updated regular Switch. The joycons can still offer some nice multiplayer/coop on the go, the battery life is better than the lite and you still get the ability to play stuff on the TV which is nice to have even if you don't use it often. Also the Lite isn't that much smaller so I don't think it gains that much in portability

They did make the new 3DS though. And unlike Sony/MS they released some exclusive games for it
Yeah, if OP has time I would wait for Nintendo's next punch at a beefed up Switch, and number 2, for more games.

Katsura

Anyone else on the fence whether to upgrade to the V2 Switch or the Switch Lite? My reason to upgrade is that with a trade in its not going to cost that much extra to get a new V2 Switch and even less with the Switch Lite. I always have this urge to get the new thing out but I can't decide between the two. I play in portable mode on the system. My main gripe with the current system is that when playing first person shooters like Wolf or Doom ports the image quality is really blurry. I imagine it's going to be the same for upcoming ports. I was hoping the new V2 hardware would somewhat make things sharper with improved internals and although the internals are somewhat improved it makes no difference to image quality. I'm thinking with the Switch Lite being a smaller screen the image quality would appear sharper therefore I might be happier with this. Also we don't yet know if there will be a performance boost in portable mode for the Switch Lite - considering it's designed for this.

I can also see a personal benefit of the V2 extreme battery life. Although I have a portable charger it does get clunky and annoying to have to carry around all the time.

So right now I'm making the decision to wait until the Switch Lite gets a proper tear down and then make a decision. Though it's still painfully two weeks away.

Anyone else stuck in this same delimma?
Lite? Absolutely not. The durability of the joycons eliminate any desire i might have had to get it. As for a v 2, depends on what it'll do better than the current one

Papu

OG Switch still going strong, battery life has never been an issue for me so no dilemma here.

Might buy a Lite for my niece though

I don't expect games on Lite to look any better or have better performance otherwise. The only difference'll be the improved battery life (minor) and the form factor.

If it's the performance that bothers you I seriously doubt the Lite will address those concerns. You're better off playing your current Switch and holding out for some kind of improved Switch, if that ever happens.

Owari

Keep the old switch for homebrew. You can play online with CFW now if you do it right.
Get the lite for portable gaming with higher PPI.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I did consider getting a v2, but it's not worth the hassle, my 2017 switch has a good screen and a screen protector fitted correctly.
I don't want to have to sell my current switch and shell out like £80 on a new switch and new screen protector.
The lite looks nice though, with a screen protector and flip case it looks better for the pick up and play factor.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i decided on the V2. it was quite easy actually.

1. It can actually, y'know, Switch. You're not stuck in handheld mode forever. If you're a portable player the V2 would be brilliant still because you can just play in handheld to your hearts content but maybe that odd time you want to play at home on a large screen...you can!
2. it has a larger screen. the Lite screens looks way too cramped.
3. it has much better battery life. If you're more of a handheld person then it makes more sense to get the V2. of course the only drawback is the size difference. it might not fit in your pocket but it'll fit in your bag.
4. chances are the wifi chip on the Lite will be just as bad or worse than the V2 so yeah...have fun sitting next to your wifi router downloading games/updates. with the standard Switch you can hook it up to ethernet.
5. if you run into any issues with your joycons you can just get them replaced. if the controls on your Lite start acting up then you need to replace the entire unit.

probably a lot more reasons to buy the V2 than the Lite but that's enough for now.

The Lite only makes sense unless you really really are 10000000% sure you never ever EVER want to play on your TV, you want the smaller form factor, if you don't mind the worse battery life (which would make no sense if you prefer handheld mode) and therefore don't mind wall hugging a lot more :) or if you want a cheaper model to toss to your kid to shut them up.

oh inb4 "but muh d-pads!! for muh fightin games!!!!11!!!!!!"

Wait for PRO or grab Tegra exploitable.
pro is probably gonna be a 100% docked Switch.

Lite - 100% handheld
V2 - The Switch that Switches between handheld/docked.
Pro - 100% docked

just like the Lite...i'll be sticking with my standard Switch. I don't care how powerful the Pro might be if it can't play in handheld then forget it. The whole idea behind Switch is the freedom to play in handheld or docked.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Do you want to rethink this before we start listing the myriad of examples proving you wrong?
well to be fair they have only released revisions for handhelds.

nes, snes, 64, gamecube, wii, wii u.....

gameboy lite, colour, advance, sp, micro

ds, dsi, ds lite, ds xl etc etc

who knows what they have planned for the switch with it being both battery/wall powered. i think we'll get the lite + pro and the standard version will keep getting revised with the lite/pro maybe getting small revisions.

Vawn

Banned
well to be fair they have only released revisions for handhelds.

nes, snes, 64, gamecube, wii, wii u.....

gameboy lite, colour, advance, sp, micro

ds, dsi, ds lite, ds xl etc etc

who knows what they have planned for the switch with it being both battery/wall powered. i think we'll get the lite + pro and the standard version will keep getting revised with the lite/pro maybe getting small revisions.

2DS, 3DS XL, 2DS XL, New 3DS

But just the one Virtual Boy amazingly.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
People acting like a "Pro" has been confirmed. The original Pro leak from WSJ, was the 2.0 longer battery Switch.

There is no Pro confirmed - or even rumored outside of unfounded speculation. People waiting for something that might never come are missing the entire generation.
yup.

shit ain't confirmed. there might be a Pro Switch...there might not be.

i'll be playing my Switch and having fun until such a time any new models are announced. anyone who waits for new tech (not just a Switch) is always gonna be waiting for the latest new thing. they will be the same people creating topics "should i wait for the Super Duper Ultra Pro Switch???" when/if we do get a Switch Pro!

have fun waiting i guess....

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I've never had a Switch and was thinking of biting on one with this updated hardware. I'm a bit confused on what other things I'd need to get as part of purchasing one tho. I'd likely be doing equal parts handheld and big screen gaming with it. The problem is there are like no deals right now and we're right at the part of the year where holiday shopping is starting to become a thing. Thoughts? Sorry if this doesn't fit the main discussion of this thread; my dilemma is actually figuring out if I want one of these since I'm on the fence.

Vawn

Banned
I've never had a Switch and was thinking of biting on one with this updated hardware. I'm a bit confused on what other things I'd need to get as part of purchasing one tho. I'd likely be doing equal parts handheld and big screen gaming with it. The problem is there are like no deals right now and we're right at the part of the year where holiday shopping is starting to become a thing. Thoughts? Sorry if this doesn't fit the main discussion of this thread; my dilemma is actually figuring out if I want one of these since I'm on the fence.

You want one because Switch is awesome. It's easily the most expensive ecosystem though.

The system is $300 and I consider the $70 pro controller mandatory. Nintendo games will stat full price for years while PS4 games will drop to pennies on the dollar in the matter of months.

Even new games will sometimes release more expensive on Switch compared to the competition. I've been to the store and seen a Switch version and a PS4 version of the same game where the Switch version is $59.99 and the PS4 version is $19.99.

How much extra cash are we talking about ? If it's not much I'd upgrade it just for fresh warranty and hardware (battery without any cycles)

mcjmetroid

Ya I'm kinda with you. I mean it's not like Nintendo who hasn't focused on graphics in a very long time all of a sudden release a console with better graphics.

McRazzle

Want to bet? If given even odds, I'd bet significant money we don't see a Pro anytime in 2020. I put the odds at it ever happening around 50/50.

If the Lite doesn't have an IGZO display, then it's basically confirmed there is another system coming within a year or less.

Top Bottom