• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch upgrade delimma

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'll buy a Switch Lite (or the Switch Lite v2 later) when it's around $100. I'm sticking with my launch model Switch until a better one comes along.

highrider

Banned
I’m fine with my regular Switch, I got it like 6 months ago. If they released something with a better screen, better battery life and Bluetooth I’d be all over it, but tbh I never game for more than an hour or two portable or docked so I’m not pressed about battery. A bigger and better screen would be nice. It’s funny, I noticed after I put a tempered glass screen protector on my Switch the picture looks better. It smooths out the dull plastic lol. I play almost exclusively portable but I like having the option to dock and occasionally play on tv.

Zenaku

pro is probably gonna be a 100% docked Switch.

Lite - 100% handheld
V2 - The Switch that Switches between handheld/docked.
Pro - 100% docked

just like the Lite...i'll be sticking with my standard Switch. I don't care how powerful the Pro might be if it can't play in handheld then forget it. The whole idea behind Switch is the freedom to play in handheld or docked.
If they did make a "Switch Home" they could make it function like a dock, or the "supplementary computing device" they had patented.

You dock your Switch and the Pro/Home/whatever does the graphical grunt work while leaving the saves on the portable Switch (with it capable of running standalone too).

cireza

Banned
Looks like a downgrade to me.
Launch model > Not launch model >>>>>> Switch Lite.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
I don't think that the cheaper price justifies the lack of features.
I agree but it’s so damn cute. Look at it!
oq8e7py.jpg

ljubomir

If you're in position to do so, I'd suggest to buy a mini and see if you like and then either return it and buy a V2 or keep it and sell your OG one. V2 is externally the same as OG, the only exception being a slightly different screen.

DonF

I agree but it’s so damn cute. Look at it!
oq8e7py.jpg
Yeah, looks great but I hate that they removed the docking. I mean, they could've just not include a dock.

Also, nintendo's online ID system is shit. Is it possible to have 2 switchs and play on both digital games? And lastly, the joycons are trash. I hate thinking about getting joycon drift and there goes the console !

TheContact

I wouldn't upgrade to a v2 Switch just for the improved battery life. Unless you have a ton of disposable income, that is. If battery life is a concern, just invest in a power bank. The Switch light isn't appealing at all to me. It's called a Switch because you can dock it and take it on the go at a whim.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, looks great but I hate that they removed the docking. I mean, they could've just not include a dock.

Also, nintendo's online ID system is shit. Is it possible to have 2 switchs and play on both digital games? And lastly, the joycons are trash. I hate thinking about getting joycon drift and there goes the console !
That console doesn’t have joycons so you will definitely not get joycon drift.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would put with a Switch that can't connect to a screen for multiplayer or couch fun, and won't even let you detach controllers on a flight etc. It's such a gimped version. Unless you are keeping both, and the second is just an extra for certain uses.

The Snake

Are people really considering the Lite an "upgrade?" To me it seems akin to that 2DS that didn't fold. A lower-price, less impressive option for young kids and whatnot.

Like, that's not a knock against it, I just don't think it's aimed at "us."

Owari

Nintendo is replacing busted analog sticks

McCheese

New switch is just as big a crapshoot as old switch, here is my "new switch" screen:

Ey6EAuq.jpg

Seems to sort itself out once it warms up (20 minutes or so), not sure if I should try returning it or just enjoy the free vignette filter. Anybody else have a similar problem? sods law I return it and get a orange screen with dead pixels.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
New switch is just as big a crapshoot as old switch, here is my "new switch" screen:

Ey6EAuq.jpg

Seems to sort itself out once it warms up (20 minutes or so), not sure if I should try returning it or just enjoy the free vignette filter. Anybody else have a similar problem? sods law I return it and get a orange screen with dead pixels.
The Lite better be better DAYYUM

FMXVII

I went with a New Big Switch.

It is still small enough to suit my portability needs, has full frame compatibility, and has even better battery life than the Lite.

The only thing the Lite has going for it, is a smaller size, with all the above trade-offs + permanent, non-replace-able Joycons.

I wouldn't upgrade to a v2 Switch just for the improved battery life. Unless you have a ton of disposable income, that is. If battery life is a concern, just invest in a power bank. The Switch light isn't appealing at all to me. It's called a Switch because you can dock it and take it on the go at a whim.

if you sell your old switch you can upgrade for like 50 bucks, and dont have to carry around a power bank

for me it was worth it

Trimesh

Banned
well to be fair they have only released revisions for handhelds.

The top loader NES and the Wii Mini are revisions that look substantially different from the original.

Late model Gamecubes lost the digital AV port and some of the expansion ports, and the "family" model Wii deleted the Gamecube ports (controller and memory card slot).

The SNES, N64 and WiiU kept the same case style through their production run, although the internals of the SNES changed drastically.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i got mine when Mario came out, and it still works fine, so I plan on playing it for another year or two at least. IMO the Switch Pro will be announced next year both alongside the other new consoles and the next megaton game (Metroid, BOTW2, SMO2). Xmas of 2020 you can play the new Metroid (or whatever) at 4K on the Switch Pro.

Pasedo

Has it been confirmed that the Switch Lite won't have the Igzo screen? Say if it did then would it be a worthy upgrade from the original Switch? I read it's got more accurate colours and better brightness. I'm starting to think this will be the determining factor for me going this way.

Trimesh

Banned
Has it been confirmed that the Switch Lite won't have the Igzo screen? Say if it did then would it be a worthy upgrade from the original Switch? I read it's got more accurate colours and better brightness. I'm starting to think this will be the determining factor for me going this way.

I don't know, but I doubt it. The basic advantage of the technology is that it allows you to shrink the transistors - so you can get higher resolution and/or greater brightness and it should in theory allow higher refresh rates. The thing is that on the Switch the resolution and the refresh rates are basically fixed for compatibility reasons so the only thing you win from using smaller transistors is greater light transmission and hence greater brightness for the same backlight power (simply because less of the light is blocked).

Since the existing Switch is using a 6.2" 720p screen, the larger transistors required to fabricate the panel using conventional amorphous Si technology aren't much of a limitation since they take up little of the active pixel area anyway. If you were using something like a 6" 4k display, it becomes a very big issue since the circuitry takes up so much of the display area that you have to turn up the backlight power drastically in order to get enough light through the transparent parts of each pixel for adequate brightness.

Something about the colors they chose just makes it look unfinished to me...

Sure, the form factor IS a definite improvement for handheld focused gamers but the gray in particular, especially after seeing the pokemon special edition, just leaves a lot to be desired. And there's something about the white nubbins that just looks wrong to me as well. My experience with a white analog sticks on Nintendo controllers (OG Wavebird, Wii U Pro controller, and probably more I'm forgetting) just leads to me to the sad realization that those analogs will start to look pretty grimy at some point, maybe through no fault of the user's.

And since they're not removable, it's a much bigger deal. Idk, I think I'll stick my the regular Switch, or go Pro if that becomes an eventuality. Certainly, the Lite has appeal but it'll be more of an impulse buy for me once it gets super cheap (if it ever does)

The only positive the new Switch has over the OG is battery life, I thought about myself for a long time too but decided against it. My launch of Switch still looks brand new so there’s really no point of upgrading.
The new Switch’s screen is reported to be slightly different also. Link below

Going by this I have to say the OG Switches screen looks much nicer to me.

ZELDA-SHOT.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-08-at-3.06.20-PM.png

Oh, yuck. Reminds me of the DS Lite "lottery" where something like half the consoles had yellow-tinged touch screens (and, IIRC, the touch screen was also less responsive) due to varied sources of the screens. Nintendo claimed it was not a defect and refused to replace them.

I lucked out and got a good one, thankfully. But default warm color is awful.

I hope the Switch Lite does not have a similar hue.

Otterz4Life

Switch Pro? Wii all know it’ll be called the Switch U 🤪

Seriously though, the Lite’s screen is just too small. The regular Switch screen is almost too small for me with some games.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Switch Pro? Wii all know it’ll be called the Switch U 🤪

Seriously though, the Lite’s screen is just too small. The regular Switch screen is almost too small for me with some games.

It's like Xenoblade X levels of bad for most fonts.

I cringe at the thought of playing ak RPG on it.

For all that people want to diss the N3DS as outdated, at least it was designed in a way that fonts were actually legible.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Oh, yuck. Reminds me of the DS Lite "lottery" where something like half the consoles had yellow-tinged touch screens (and, IIRC, the touch screen was also less responsive) due to varied sources of the screens. Nintendo claimed it was not a defect and refused to replace them.

I lucked out and got a good one, thankfully. But default warm color is awful.

I hope the Switch Lite does not have a similar hue.
Did you get a good DS or Switch? The warmer color on the new Switch is not as good as the OG screen.
Trying to figure out if all V2 Switch’s have the warmer looking screen.

wipeout364

I am kind of thinking about this as well.

Out of curiosity how easy is it to move purchases around between Switch devices? If I log into my account can I change devices or go between them if I had two devices?

This is a really important question for me I would appreciate if someone could explain how Nintendo digital purchases work on the switch because they have been pretty restrictive in the past.

Did you get a good DS or Switch? The warmer color on the new Switch is not as good as the OG screen.
Trying to figure out if all V2 Switch’s have the warmer looking screen.

A good DS Lite way back when. Still have my OG Switch.

I'm assuming that the sourcing is more uniform now, so I am guessing that all the screens are probably like that.

DESTROYA

A good DS Lite way back when. Still have my OG Switch.

I'm assuming that the sourcing is more uniform now, so I am guessing that all the screens are probably like that.
If that’s the case even less reason for upgrading, I’m very picky when it comes to screens but I’m sure if most had to pick they’d go with the cooler looking screen the OG Switch has.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Is there really gonna be a pro version of the Switch? Is that confirmed?
its not confirmed but earlier this year there were rumors that 2 versions of the Switch were being worked on, and now one of those new Switches is being released next Friday. it only makes sense that the other, more future proof model, is being held off until next year when the next gen consoles are announced.

iconmaster

Banned
its not confirmed but earlier this year there were rumors that 2 versions of the Switch were being worked on, and now one of those new Switches is being released next Friday. it only makes sense that the other, more future proof model, is being held off until next year when the next gen consoles are announced.

Or that other model was already released. WSJ never said it’d be anything “Pro.” But only time will tell.

Barnabot

Nope . Just buy the og Switch already. Anyone trying to hype you about Switch Pro it's just telling you tall tales. Do you know why? Because today no one can't prove to you that this unicorn exists.

And no one is really pressuring Nintendo to up their game. Do you know why? Because no one else is doing a hybrid console like Nintendo.

V2Tommy

The SNES, N64 and WiiU kept the same case style through their production run, although the internals of the SNES changed drastically.

Is this the alternate reality where the SNS-101 model doesn't exist?

2hNTOYT.jpg

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Wow. Somehow I have never seen that. I guess it was released after the N64 so probably hardly anyone paid attention.

I bought one without knowing that it doesn't support S-Video from the A/C Multi-out. Oops. Showstopper for me. Also, no power LED.

McCheese

Took my first v2 switch back due to the weird screen issue, the new one seems okay so far - right joycon doesn't "click" but it seems to be connected and pretty stable, and the fans are audible on this model (maybe they were borked on the other, would explain the heat issue) - but at least the screen seems to be fine so far *touch wood*

Chap at Game was lamenting about how many returns they get for Switches while they were checking my old one. I'd honestly avoid the Lite model like the plague until the early adopters have figured out how much faff it is to fix whatever issues it's bound to have. The V2 joycons still seem to have the drift flaw, and they probably manufactured those around the same time as the lite model, so it doesn't look good.

The battery life is insane on the v2 in portable mode, a good 6 hours on a lot of games. It's nice being able to play a session and not feel like you should charge it up straight after. I'm glad I picked up this model despite never docking it.

Last edited:

Pasedo

Not ever consulting a dictionary for made-up incorrect words, I'm sure.
Never trust auto correct either. I should have just checked an online dictionary. Now I look dumb lol
So was thinking. Isn't it basically confirmed that a new model will have an Igzo screen from sharp. If the Lite teardown doesn't reveal an igzo screen than there's a third model still to come.

Grechy34

I never truly understand these threads. They are incumbent on so many different factors - money, lifestyle, preferences etc. Personally I have the OG Switch and it's serving me really well.

I use the portable mode in the house, or on work breaks but also play it docked mode often at home. It's served me well. The only joycon issue I've had thus far is a slight click on a new set I bought.

The Lite is enticing due to the extra portability and enhanced battery although AU$329 is not a great reduction as far as I'm concerned compared with the original which does more (currently AU$399) therefore depending how much you appreciate the portability factor personally at the current price point I am sticking with what I have and waiting for a sale or drop on the Lite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom