• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch version of Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap outsells all other versions combined

tolkir

Monster World V for Switch next then please!

Wish granted.

1471251073-monster-boy-and-the-cursed-kingdom_jpg_750x400_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

I bought it on PS4 but considered getting it on Switch because the art style would have looked even more amazing on the Switch's screen.

Pila

I think that third party games can sell on Nintendo consoles. They just need to be... games people want to buy. =P

Great looking, brand new platformer? It's gonna do great.

("brand new" as in "not late port")

Old ass game you can find everywhere else at 5 €, selling at full price just because? Mmmh... there are Nintendo fans who liked that thing, they played it three years ago on the PS4.

I hope we'll see more third party games that make sense on the Switch. Mario Rabbids makes sense, great. A new Rayman too Ubi, hint hint.

Planet

I guess something like Undertale isn't a 'modern game' by your standards then?
Hexagon was explicitely talking about the looks. You all can like your retro style just fine, but when someone claims everyone absolutely must fall in love with that, it's laughable.

'Modern' to me is taking advantage of the current gen hardware. Doesn't neccessarily have to be AAA, e.g. Statik (PSVR) or The Witness have nice visuals and cool gameplay.

Hexagon!

Hexagon was explicitely talking about the looks. You all can like your retro style just fine, but when someone claims everyone absolutely must fall in love with that, it's laughable.

There may have been a small level of exaggeration to my post. :p

'Modern' to me is taking advantage of the current gen hardware. Doesn't neccessarily have to be AAA, e.g. Statik (PSVR) or The Witness have nice visuals and cool gameplay.

The original statement was a bit over the top I agree but I'd nominate games like Undertale, SUPERHOT and Inside for being some of the best modern games from a visual standpoint, they're brilliantly designed and their styles have rarely been seen before.

This game doesn't jump out to me in quite the same way but it doesn't make it any less 'modern'. I think it looks quite good.

But we're a bit off topic now so whatever.

if we can just do this with third party AAA titles..

Hopefully Mario + Rabbids exceeds expectations.

For what it's worth, ports are performing above expectations (Puyo Tetris sold 75% of boxed copies on Switch, Lego City sold 50% on Switch, Disgaea 5 Complete should overtake PS4 LTD soon, USFII and Super Bomberman R are above 500k).

jariw

The non-sales stuff in the article was more interesting IMO. Like, the technical ease/difficulty when doing a Switch port, Nintendo's part in the process, and so on.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully Mario + Rabbids exceeds expectations.

For what it's worth, ports are performing above expectations (Puyo Tetris sold 75% of boxed copies on Switch, Lego City sold 50% on Switch, Disgaea 5 Complete should overtake PS4 LTD soon, USFII and Super Bomberman R are above 500k).

The sad thing is that none of those are AAA. Well, Lego City could be argued, but its also a late port.

Sorry, But I'm not into sports games :S

There's more than sports games. Xenoverse 2, Skyrim, LA Noire, and a few others. If they sell well, we'll likely get Dragonball Ball Z fighter, the next elder scrolls and GTA Games, and more from other developers.

The sad thing is that none of those are AAA. Well, Lego City could be argued, but its also a late port.

Very true, I was more hinting that if these ports perform well there's no reason to suggest AAA ports wouldn't either. I'm sure Skyrim will do well, for instance.

Lego City launched day and date with the PS4 and XBO versions that Switch achieved visual parity with, at least.

Scanna

This hardly addresses those goalposts.
I bought mario rabbids for literally 1 reason, which is that i hadn't bought a single game since mario kart 8 and was looking forward to buying nothing until mario odyssey.
People gotta play something, and yes im aware they're releasing a big a month, the problem is you cant force yourself to be interested in all of those.
People playing on ps4 and the like have a considerably bigger library to chose from
And by no means am i trying to downplay this, this is a great opportunity for indies to make quick cash all the while bolstering its lineup in return. Just dont go around expecting destiny or Battlefield to show up on switch next year just because street fighter hd sold well.
Yeah, I mean, just go to the eShop and games rotation is obviously very slow, so a lot of games stay in the spotlight for much longer than on PS4 or PC or Xbox. Then, a game like this resonates a lot with the Nintendo audience.
As you're saying, this does not prove that something like Assassin's Creed would sell like hotcakes on Switch, hardly. It's just proving that games of a certain kind, especially in the first year, might have unexpected successes.

blubb

Neo Member
I don't understand those "Congrats!" posts. Who are you congratulating? Nintendo? If switch sold better then any other platform I would, but outselling all other platforms combined means it is not doing well enough outside of the switch.
PC gamers might be waiting for the steam winter sale or the game being part of a humble bundle to get it for cheap, as always.
PS4 and Xbox owners really need to step up and buy that game.
And no stupid excuses like "I don't play platformers", "I don't like 2D graphics in games", "I only play AAA games", etc.

LordKano

It's a nostalgia-filled, retro-pandering 2D platformer with nice colourful graphics and had no downside compared to the other platforms. It was bound to sell well. Plus it's a good game, so that's cool.

KORNdoggy

honestly this is the first time i've even heard about the title. and after seeing it i can't say i'm in any rush to buy it on the PS4. lol

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Awesome! And yet PS4 is the system that's getting a Limited Run physical release. Switch cart version when?

I'd be very interested to hear how much the game sold in France especially: not only is France a Nintendo stronghold, the Master System was fairly popular here, and Wonder Boy has that connoisseur/oldschool player appeal to it here. Also this remake is made by a French team, and they've been going around the French gaming media to promote their game. It's got to have performed outstandingly well in the French market, both in absolute terms and relative to other platforms.

Brazil might be interesting to look at too, though Lizardcube hasn't managed to get the rights to use the Monica IP for the game there so far - back in the Wonder Boy title and main characters were all replaced with a popular children's brand in Brazil called Monica IIRC.

I think that third party games can sell on Nintendo consoles. They just need to be... games people want to buy. =P.

Get outta here with this crazy talk.

[EDIT]
I don't understand those "Congrats!" posts. Who are you congratulating? Nintendo? If switch sold better then any other platform I would, but outselling all other platforms combined means it is not doing well enough outside of the switch.
PC gamers might be waiting for the steam winter sale or the game being part of a humble bundle to get it for cheap, as always.
PS4 and Xbox owners really need to step up and buy that game.
And no stupid excuses like "I don't play platformers", "I don't like 2D graphics in games", "I only play AAA games", etc.

Without knowing how much it actually sold and what sales expectations were, you can't say that it performed poorly on other platforms. Maybe it did poorly, or maybe it did okay, or maybe it did great. We don't know. But the Switch version did better. That we know. That's really the only cold hard fact we can gather from this, for lack of other info.

eXistor

Awesome game, glad to see it's doing well.

I'm really not a fan of that game's style.

I'll play it for sure, but I agree: the art-style isn't doing it any favors. It has that mobile/facebook feeling to it I just can't unsee.

honestly this is the first time i've even heard about the title. and after seeing it i can't say i'm in any rush to buy it on the PS4. lol

It's a remake of an old game (classic for sure) so this'll probably appeal mostly to people like me who played the original when it was released or have warm feelings towards that era of gaming.

giapel

Any game that's not hampered by the switch's hardware is automatically better on the switch due to the dual home/portable design. So basically most of all indie games are better on the switch. By default. That's what makes the switch design so genius.

Giga Man

What's the difference between Wonder Boy and Monster Boy? Or is it Monster World? I'm confused. Are they the same franchise?

Firemind

I thought it'd be more nonlinear.

Also the weapon and armor upgrade system is really barebones. Like, it doesn't need to be in the game at all.

Retro mode is pretty cool though. More remakes should have that.

Any game that's not hampered by the switch's hardware is automatically better on the switch due to the dual home/portable design. So basically most of all indie games are better on the switch. By default. That's what makes the switch design so genius.

Yeah, the Switch sits in a nice place as far as feeding into the existing wave of games being released. Definitely a strong start for Nintendo's most-conforming system yet - Switch is basically the anti-3DS, which had such bespoke hardware that it could only have ever been survived by a library of unique games rather than ports.

The other thing that's weird about Switch is HD Rumble making some games genuinely stand out. Playing TumbleSeed on PC without the HD Rumble feels like blasphemy, and I never expected to say this back in January when HD Rumble seemed destined for 1-2-Switch style minigames like Ball Count.

ggx2ac

What's the difference between Wonder Boy and Monster Boy? Or is it Monster World? I'm confused. Are they the same franchise?

Monster World and Wonder Boy are the same thing for certain games, it's just called Monster World in Japan or Wonder Boy in the West.

Monster Boy is a fan tribute game.

Sillverrr

I'm waiting till it has a discount, then I'll buy it for Switch. This handheld is the next best thing to a Vita, having come to terms with the slightly bulkier form factor. Plus there's always the option to put it on a stand and use an 8bitdo/Pro controller, or just play it on the TV.

As others have pointed out, as long as there aren't too many technical compromises to the game itself, you have the best of both worlds here: portable or big screen.

Capcom should take note. I bet both The Disney Afternoon Collection and Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 would find an audience on Switch.

Easily. Probably would have been a similar situation to Wonder Boy, where the Switch version outsold all others combined.

But Capcpom.

Giga Man

Monster World and Wonder Boy are the same thing for certain games, it's just called Monster World in Japan or Wonder Boy in the West.

Monster Boy is a fan tribute game.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I'm definitely into colorful action platformers, so I might check this out.

This hardly addresses those goalposts.
I bought mario rabbids for literally 1 reason, which is that i hadn't bought a single game since mario kart 8 and was looking forward to buying nothing until mario odyssey.
People gotta play something, and yes im aware they're releasing a big a month, the problem is you cant force yourself to be interested in all of those.
People playing on ps4 and the like have a considerably bigger library to chose from
And by no means am i trying to downplay this, this is a great opportunity for indies to make quick cash all the while bolstering its lineup in return. Just dont go around expecting destiny or Battlefield to show up on switch next year just because street fighter hd sold well.

If by this point in the Switches lifecycle you're still having trouble finding games that appeal to you, then its more to do with taste then with the line-up. Taste is a funny thing like that. After years of support, the PS4 has two categories of games for me: shit i dont like and stuff id rather play on a Switch.

And it's completely justified to demand AC and Battlefield to come to the Switch based on USF2 sales. The fact a re-release like that could sell at full price means that people are voting with their wallet to get more content on the platform. No need to get so fucking salty about that, buddy.

Top Bottom