• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch version of Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap outsells all other versions combined

Clive

Games like that are a great fit for portables. "Last gen" (technically same gen maybe but dead console) virtually anything 2D was played on my Vita and now it's shifting to my Switch. I'm not quite as hungry for Switch games as some others due to an extensive backlog of portable games but if it's 2D and same price then I will buy it on Switch.

Now reward us with a phsyical release on Switch please!

I got it on Switch, my love for Dragon's Trap always was Nintendo-tier so it absolutely felt right. :)

Caelestis

Haven't gotten the game yet, but would probably get it on switch myself. Screen shots in store look so pretty on a smaller screen and portability is awesome.

Ouroboros

Switch is the Indie developer's dream machine. Good for them. I still need to pick it up, and I'm sure there are more people like me.

phanphare

Banned
damn, good for them

for games like this it definitely makes sense. with all other things equal why wouldn't you buy this on Switch vs. other platforms?

Wamb0wneD

Nice, but I really don't see why not. It has everything the other versions do but you can play it everywhere. If someone has multiple consoles/PC the only reason not to get it on Switch is the lower price on Steam.

Easily. Probably would have been a similar situation to Wonder Boy, where the Switch version outsold all others combined.

But Capcpom.

I swear if Capcom misses Okami on Switch... The decision making at that company is straight up incomprehensible at this point.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Makes sense...getting a portable and TV version for once purchase is tough to beat.

This is the reason I will always buy the available multi platform games on Switch even if the game is far behind my Pro version visually when docked. I do a lot of four hour trips on the train to see my bf and the Switch has been a lifesaver.

I'd love Overwatch, GTA V, a Mass Effect Trilogy and a Dark Souls Remaster available on the go.

BigEmil

I bought it on Switch solely because I don't have much games on this system yet while my other game platforms too many games in my backlog and upcoming

VariantX

My congratulations to Capcom execs for not greenlighting Switch versions of Disney: Afternoon Collection and Mega Man.

It'll be interesting to see how Sonic Mania does. That's been at, or near, the top of the eShop sales charts since it launched.

Yeah, didn't say much back when those games dropped but yeah, Capcom REALLY fucked up there. Those games should have been available on every platform or at least in dev. No foresight at all. Those are no-brainer games with universal appeal.

Yeah, didn't say much back when those games dropped but yeah, Capcom REALLY fucked up there. Those games should have been available on every platform or at least in dev. No foresight at all. Those are no-brainer games with universal appeal.

I kind of think maybe this decision might have been made due to Nintendos forthcoming classic games plan on Switch. I'm guessing capcom wanted to play a "wait and see approach" with that.

jacobeid

Banned
I likely would have passed on the game on PS4 given how crazy this year has been, but it was an instabuy on switch, though I still haven't actually beaten it. lol

Mr-Joker

Banned
You can get a PS4 + Vita for about the same price as a Switch + Pro controller. Just sayin'.

Firstly, The Pro controller isn't required when buying the Switch, I don't have one and I don't plan to. Secondly does your "same price" account the price of the overpriced Vita Memory cards?

Just like with Okami and Zelda-esque adventure games, Capcom doesn't see a market for retro 2D content on Nintendo platforms.

That's annoys me as I would totally buy Okami on the Wii but I guess Capcom doesn't want my money.

Ah well I will just stick to the PS2 version then.

This suggests a switch virtual console would do well.

I am still waiting for that as I want to play Super Mario RPG but I don't want to dig out my Wii U.

Plus I need me some Donkey Kong Country.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, you can wonder the following: "How much did it sold" ? Because sure, it sold more than other versions combined. But how much does it make ?

Is there a threshold where we can say "Well, OK, the Switch is doing well"? Or will the goalpost keep moving?

The number of sales is irrelevant to the success of the game on Switch in relation to other platforms. If this was PS4 or Xbox news nobody would be second guessing it.

phanphare

Banned
There have been so many success stories that it kinda destroys the "starved for games" narrative when so many people are buying so many games.

the starved for games narrative was silly within a few weeks of the console being out

the actual narrative sounds more like people want any and all software on Switch because the hardware is appealing

PS4: $290
Vita: $160 (used, can't find em new anymore)
Required Vita memory card: $40 minimum
Total: $490

How exactly is that less than $370 again?

If people are willing they could just import it from amazon.jp for cheap. used vita + 16gb runs you $150 shipping not included, and $ 200 for new. Also, their memory cards run cheaper too, $15 for an 8gb, $30 for 16gb.

That said, I'd still go with a switch. Remote play only really works if the developers actually put effort in the Vita controls. Then again, that only matters for certain games, some are able to get away with copypasta controls.

There have been so many success stories that it kinda destroys the "starved for games" narrative when so many people are buying so many games.

I guess it depends on context. Personally for me, there is no reason to buy a switch atm. None of the games actually interest me, and those that do are already on systems I own. So it kinda is starved for games for me. Though once it starts getting all the game Vita used to, I imagine it will become my most played console.

Considering 1. The Switch version sold more than all others combined. and 2. They are not responding with disappointed in lackluster sales. Means that they probably sold well enough.

Yet no numbers, no substance, and just buzz words...and to be honest, disappointed depends on who is saying it, a game can be successful, but not as successful as they wanted it to be so they are disappointed in the sales, its all relative..
And what does "probably" sold well enough even mean.

Yet no numbers, no substance, and just buzz words...and to be honest, disappointed depends on who is saying it, a game can be successful, but not as successful as they wanted it to be so they are disappointed in the sales, its all relative..
And what does "probably" sold well enough even mean.

You're working overtime to spin this news negatively. It's fascinating to watch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

you got people here who makes passing remarks even after buying the gmae too, it's hilarious

Shiggy

"Starved for games" certainly makes it sound more negative. But Switch certainly has a visibility advantage for these indie titles right now, especially when they are good. That plus the traditional Nintendo audience for platformers/family-oriented titles (or in other words, non-dudebros games) makes it an attractive system for indies right now. Meanwhile, games like Runbow got no attention on PS4 or X1 for example.

Obviously, this could change once more of the bigger third parties release their games on Switch. And with shovelware publishers starting to release games en masse in Q4, Nintendo needs to make sure that indie games aren't drowned from the eShop storefront.

The sales standards are different on the switch, for example... a 3rd party game ships 500k on the switch and it gets headlines, a game ships 500k on x1/ps4 and its how much was the sell through.

You're working overtime to spin this news negatively. It's fascinating to watch.

I am not spinning bad, im taking it into perspective, and with no substance its just a thing that sounds nice.... windows phone outsold iPhone in Brazil at one point, nice sound bite, but just like this...void of numbers and substance.

DrGrus

Well, you can wonder the following: "How much did it sold" ? Because sure, it sold more than other versions combined. But how much does it make ?

We have steamspy numbers of 8k. If not Xbox one and PS4 sales are non existent I think this sounds at least decent.

Only possible way the switch sales number are horrible is that it tanked on ps4 and Xbox one. Personally I would expect it to sell better on PS4 than PC, but that is just a guess.

The sales standards are different on the switch, for example... a 3rd party game ships 500k on the switch and it gets headlines, a game ships 500k on x1/ps4 and its how much was the sell through.

Not really. We just haven't had any major third party productions on the Switch. There aren't many third party games that you can really expect to sell in the millions. The first will be Mario + Rabbids and that has Mario in it. The second is Fifa. I've had the system since May and the only really good third party efforts are Lego City or on the eShop.

Top Bottom