• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch version of Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap outsells all other versions combined

I am not spinning bad, im taking it into perspective, and with no substance its just a thing that sounds nice.... windows phone outsold iPhone in Brazil at one point, nice sound bite, but just like this...void of numbers and substance.

Keep downplaying, I guess. I have a feeling a new excuse would emerge even if the developer flat-out said they were incredibly happy with Switch sales.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That's great to hear as it's a very special game despite some flaws. I'm slightly more surprised that Has Been Heroes has sold well. That game looked like a hard pass.

It is a Gametrust/Gamestop game. It's been packaged with Gamestop Switch bundles since the game's launch as well.

The narrative will persist regardless. Expect to hear it throughout 2018.

Oh obviously, I mean it should destroy the narrative for those who actually think logically.

I guess it depends on context. Personally for me, there is no reason to buy a switch atm. None of the games actually interest me, and those that do are already on systems I own. So it kinda is starved for games for me. Though once it starts getting all the game Vita used to, I imagine it will become my most played console.

Of course different people will have different tastes, but the old narrative was that "of course this game X sold really well, there are no other games to play on the system" and that reasoning falls apart once "this game X" becomes like a dozen or more different games that have great sales. I'm not trying to say that there are many games that everyone should be interested in, just that there are a lot of games that a lot of people seem to be greatly interested in.

This is clearly a case of right place/right time, but is cool nonetheless. I'm holding out hope that LRG can print a physical version for Switch at some point.

sheaaaa

Inside is outright beautiful art with superb animations, Superhot has cool stylistic visuals, but come on! Undertale almost celebrates its ugliness.

You actually gave a pretty good example of what I meant. Just compare the animations and the lighting of Inside with those of Wonderboy TDT! The use of 3D graphics even in 2D gameplay make it so much more appealing to me.

There's nothing that isn't modern about Wonder Boy. It's only on modern hardware that 2D graphics this detailed and lush can work.

Nosgotham

the whole starved for games narrative is dumb. i just bought wonder boy a week ago making it my 26th game to own on switch and i have plenty i still want to get that are currently out.

I wish we had actual sales figures. The original 1989 game was amazing, one of the best games on the market. Unfortunately, it was overshadowed by both Nintendo-mania nearing its height and the new 16-bit consoles at the time. Despite aging very well, it has been denied the credit it deserves for decades. I'm hoping a lot of people at least play the remake.

Is there a threshold where we can say "Well, OK, the Switch is doing well"? Or will the goalpost keep moving?

The number of sales is irrelevant to the success of the game on Switch in relation to other platforms. If this was PS4 or Xbox news nobody would be second guessing it.

Of course it is. Doing better than games doing bad isn't really an achievement.
For exemple, if Switch is at 35k and others platforms at 30k, it means Switch did better but still isn't a great figure overall ?

Planet

There's nothing that isn't modern about Wonder Boy. It's only on modern hardware that 2D graphics this detailed and lush can work.
I watched a few minutes on YT, it didn't look very modern to me. Let alone lush. Definitely getting a retro style vibe here.

phanphare

Banned
For exemple, if Switch is at 35k and others platforms at 30k, it means Switch did better but still isn't a great figure overall ?

if the 30k number is all other platforms combined? then yeah 35k would be a pretty great figure for Switch

sheaaaa

I watched a few minutes on YT, it didn't look very modern to me. Let alone lush. Definitely getting a retro style vibe here.

Which retro games look like this?

ss_4fea4773a4bbc5af23fd81b0481a5047867e9f56.1920x1080.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Perhaps you are missing the point. The point here is that it has proven that install base isn't everything, and that it is possible for a game to be more successful on Switch than other platform (in this case significantly more successful on Switch than all other platforms combined).

Perhaps you are missing the point. The point here is that it has proven that install base isn't everything, and that it is possible for a game to be more successful on Switch than other platform (in this case significantly more successful on Switch than all other platforms combined).

No, I get the point. You are missing the point: Is the game successful ?

if the 30k number is all other platforms combined? then yeah 35k would be a pretty great figure for Switch

That would be hardly a great figure. A better one, sure. But that's the point. Is it better than good selling games or better than bad selling games.

There's a difference between Switch game selling over 200k while others combined are at 150k and a Switch game selling over 35k while others are at 30k combined. See my point ? Disgaea 5 Complete is a success because it sold on par with PS4, with actual numbers: Over 100k. Here though ? We have limited data, if not for the Steamspy data which reveals the game didn't sell well on Steam.

The sales standards are different on the switch, for example... a 3rd party game ships 500k on the switch and it gets headlines, a game ships 500k on x1/ps4 and its how much was the sell through.
The beginning of the xbo/PS4 all they said for sales was shipped numbers. Though I haven't seen a thread about shipped numbers with switch games.

phanphare

Banned
That would be hardly a great figure. A better one, sure. But that's the point. Is it better than good selling games or better than bad selling games.

There's a difference between Switch game selling over 200k while others combined are at 150k and a Switch game selling over 35k while others are at 30k combined. See my point ? Disgaea 5 Complete is a success because it sold on par with PS4, with actual numbers: Over 100k. Here though ? We have limited data, if not for the Steamspy data which reveals the game didn't sell well on Steam.

your point ignores any kind of context so it's hard to see it

your point is basically that you think a 6 figure number is bigger and better than a 5 figure number without considering anything else at all

so while I do see your point and what you're getting at I also think your point and what you're getting at is silly

No, I get the point. You are missing the point: Is the game successful

Not every game launches with the expectation of 6 digit sales. Developer expectations are more important than arbitrary bars for success. They seem happy with the Switch sales. If anything maybe their issues is it stunk up the joint on other far more established systems. We dont know what the total outlook is.

Not every game launches with the expectation of 6 digit sales. Developer expectations are more important than arbitrary bars for success. They seem happy with the Switch sales. If anything maybe their issues is it stunk up the joint on other far more established systems. We dont know what the total outlook is.

your point ignores any kind of context so it's hard to see it

your point is basically that you think a 6 figure number is bigger and better than a 5 figure number without considering anything else at all

so while I do see your point and what you're getting at I also think your point and what you're getting at is silly

Not every devs aim for that it's true. And this is precisely why "happy with these numbers" or "did better" isnt an accurate metric to judge the audience on a platform.

Not every devs aim for that it's true. And this is precisely why "happy with these numbers" or "did better" isnt an accurate metric to judge the audience on a platform.

Sure but it's certainly better than:

A) Silence
B) Disappointment

So taking it as a good sign isn't really all of an issue imo. Many indie games on Switch have had positive words from the deva and publishers. I dunno why as a cumulative you wouldn't say that's an indication of good things.

Sure but it's certainly better than:

A) Silence
B) Disappointment

So taking it as a good sign isn't really all of an issue imo. Many indie games on Switch have had positive words from the deva and publishers. I dunno why as a cumulative you wouldn't say that's an indication of good things.

It is positive, and its good. But it's a bit of a stretch to draw further conclusions.

It is positive, and its good. But it's a bit of a stretch to draw further conclusions.

I dunno. I don't think it's a stretch to say the Switch is selling software at a decent clip given all examples we have thus far. Whether it remains is still to be seen. But it's not like the WiiU where the storefront was dead for example.

Any game that isn't held back by the hardware is getting bought on Switch for me. Sonic Mania was the first of many I'm sure.

As for Wonderboy, it looks like the kinda thing I'd buy on sale whenever that happens.

That could be fine. We don't know much about the production costs of the game. When it comes to being a success in terms of "did we make money on this product," whether or not a product did "great" or not is directly tied to something that we literally have no information about.

D.Lo

The only thing I want to hear is the cancellation of the sequels on "PS4/XB1" because of this, just like publishers used to do when Nintendo versions sold the least/sold worst of the bunch.
Yep.

Remember when all Sega's games on Xbox underperformed, while Sonic Adventure and Monkey Ball were easy multimillion sellers on Gamecube? Surely Gamecube would got some more games then right Sega?

Nope lol Sonic Heroes and Monkey Ball multiplaform. Gamecube gets no real Virtua Figher, Panzer Dragoon etc, just exclusive Billy Hatcher and Z-tier VF spinoff.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No, I get the point. You are missing the point: Is the game successful ?

Are you saying this as a meme or are you serious?

Astral Dog

Yep.

Remember when all Sega's games on Xbox underperformed, while Sonic Adventure and Monkey Ball were easy multimillion sellers on Gamecube? Surely Gamecube would got some more games then right Sega?

Nope lol Sonic Heroes and Monkey Ball multiplaform. Gamecube gets no real Virtua Figher, Panzer Dragoon etc, just exclusive Billy Hatcher and Z-tier VF spinoff.
Why would a game becoming multi (from a third party) is a bad thing? There could be a huge Sonic fanbase on PS2.

Kureransu

Why would it be a meme when I just claim we have next to no data ?
Or basically, how does all of this translate with actual numbers/units.

The thing is, this isn't a thread about actual numbers. This is a thread talking about how a system with anywhere from 1/6th to 1/12th the install base of its console counter parts managed to sell a sku at a number that those two plus PC/Vita/Wii U combined. It's something that as a dev i would definitely acknowledge going further with future projects. As an enthusiast, it's an impressive feat.

On topic. As much as people will flog me for this, I was hoping that the switch would be s system that really sells on the back of AA/Indie titles, with a some AAA support along the way to give it a pretty robust library that would give The switch it's own identity outside of the hardware. Personally i wouldn't mind spin offs of big franchises that can maximize the switch's hardware and not get "dumb downed" versions of something on the other consoles (PC). I think about how Kingdom Hearts and the handheld versions being just as important story wise to the console versions. Even dead space extraction did a good job of this in terms of story.

but i digress.

The thing is, this isn't a thread about actual numbers. This is a thread talking about how a system with anywhere from 1/6th to 1/12th the install base of its console counter parts managed to sell a sku at a number that those two plus PC/Vita/Wii U combined. It's something that as a dev i would definitely acknowledge going further with future projects. As an enthusiast, it's an impressive feat.

On topic. As much as people will flog me for this, I was hoping that the switch would be s system that really sells on the back of AA/Indie titles, with a some AAA support along the way to give it a pretty robust library that would give The switch it's own identity outside of the hardware. Personally i wouldn't mind spin offs of big franchises that can maximize the switch's hardware and not get "dumb downed" versions of something on the other consoles (PC). I think about how Kingdom Hearts and the handheld versions being just as important story wise to the console versions. Even dead space extraction did a good job of this in terms of story.

but i digress.

Actual numbers are important in that context, because the userbase doesnt matter anymore when you reach a certain low point. When your total sales is less than 50k on multiple platforms, sales doesnt come down to userbase size anymore.

It's not to downplay what's happening here, but I believe some people are arguing the wrong thing here.

What's to learn here is really small indies gets a viable platform with Switch, which gives them more place but also can sell enough units, considering their numbers arent high anyway.

There's a nice post about a forma.8 developper on the thread about forma.8 and the reminder that "success" can be a different word for small indie titles.

Hence why it's important to define what success means in term of numbers and why these situations doesnt tell much about 3rd party's performance of a platform.

Kureransu

Actual numbers are important in that context, because the userbase doesnt matter anymore when you reach a certain low point. When your total sales is less than 50k on multiple platforms, sales doesnt come down to userbase size anymore.

It's not to downplay what's happening here, but I believe some people are arguing the wrong thing here.

What's to learn here is really small indies gets a viable platform with Switch, which gives them more place but also can sell enough units, considering their numbers arent high anyway.

There's a nice post about a forma.8 developper on the thread about forma.8 and the reminder that "success" can be a different word for small indie titles.

Hence why it's important to define what success means in term of numbers and why these situations doesnt tell much about 3rd party's performance of a platform.
I get what you're saying 100% and i agree. I just think the argument being made is more of debunking the thought of non-Nintendo games not selling on the system, along with the double standard of when a game sells considerably worse on a Nintendo console, it gets abandoned, but when it's the other consoles, they get a pass.

and i did see what skyrise had to say in the other thread.

Planet

Which retro games look like this?
Maybe this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHTRFQA67Q

I know Wonderboy got rather more granular animations, but it is still very flat 2D and doesn't feature any advanced lighting. That's why I said I personally prefer 3D graphics even for 2D gameplay, like e.g. Inside does.

We can agree to disagree what style is preferable to each other. It all started with a tongue in cheek comment on how anyone could like anything better than this. And I stook my tongue out in return. It wasn't meant to poop on this game in any way. Have fun!

ozfunghi

As long as the major players aren't releasing their games on the Switch, there will be more room for indies. The moment every Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Fifa, Grand Theft Auto, Battlefield, RDR... etc, is available on the Switch, these indies will likely sell a lot less. It's a window of opportunity for them and they should seize it to make a name for themselves.

Wonder Boy was fantastic. As for Capcom, I have no idea why they didn't put MMLC2 or Disney Afternoon on Switch. It's baffling (but then again it's Capcpom).

Calamari41

41 > 38
Maybe this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHTRFQA67Q

I know Wonderboy got rather more granular animations, but it is still very flat 2D and doesn't feature any advanced lighting. That's why I said I personally prefer 3D graphics even for 2D gameplay, like e.g. Inside does.

We can agree to disagree what style is preferable to each other. It all started with a tongue in cheek comment on how anyone could like anything better than this. And I stook my tongue out in return. It wasn't meant to poop on this game in any way. Have fun!

I would argue that this game looks more like Rayman Origins than it looks like the original Rayman. Obviously Origins looks better and is a way better game, but I don't think that you could show this game to somebody from 1995 and they would say "yeah, so? Clearly this belongs on a PS1"

And of course it doesn't belong on PS1, which is just on the edge of "retro" to begin with. As you start moving up towards the systems that this game is possible on, you're not talking "retro" anymore, you're just talking "lower budget."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This deserves to be in here. I really hope this isn't a hoax.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap For Nintendo Switch Is Getting A Physical Print In Asia

Action platformer game, Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap, will be getting a physical edition for the Nintendo Switch in Asia.

Printed by Active Boeki K.K., the official distributor for Nintendo in Southeast Asia and the Middle East, the physical version will be exclusively sold in the two regions. The physical version will also support English, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

The physical edition will arrive on 23 November 2017, priced at around US$34.99. The digital version of the game was released worldwide back in April 2017 and is currently available on the Nintendo Switch eShop for US$19.99.

UPDATE: We’ve asked Dotemu for comment on the possibility of a physical print in the west, in which they said “no comment”.
https://nintendosoup.com/wonder-boy-dragons-trap-nintendo-switch-get-physical-edition-asia/

EDarkness

It's all relative. If my game came out and sold 60k, I'd be extremely happy and would definitely dance the jig. Maybe folks would say it's not all that good, but for me and my company that would be a huge success. Which is why I think this stuff is all relative to the developer/publisher's expectations. If they're happy with the numbers, then you should be too.

Capcom catching shade in pretty much every Switch thread is my new favourite thing.

If we don't hear anything about MH:XX getting localized in the upcoming direct I'm jumping right back on the shade train.

I own Wonderboy but I haven't started it yet. Will probably get to it soon. Have a few others games I'm near the end of.

HotHamBoy

This is clearly a case of right place/right time, but is cool nonetheless. I'm holding out hope that LRG can print a physical version for Switch at some point.

I think we see a lot of indies doing better with Nintendo because they have an audience with fewer third party purchase options compared to the other platforms.

That's especially true for Switch since it's so new.

There's a few games I'm actually holding off from buying on PS4 because I want them on Switch but I don't have a Switch yet. Portable appeal + I'll need something for the inevitable droughts (per personal taste).

Top Bottom