• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch version of Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap outsells all other versions combined

I think we see a lot of indies doing better with Nintendo because they have an audience with fewer third party purchase options compared to the other platforms.

That's especially true for Switch since it's so new.

There's a few games I'm actually holding off from buying on PS4 because I want them on Switch but I don't have a Switch yet. Portable appeal + I'll need something for the inevitable droughts (per personal taste).
This was true of Vita when it was healthier as well. It makes sense, as the good indies have an easier time standing out on a platform without big name games sucking up all the attention.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why would it be a meme when I just claim we have next to no data ?
Or basically, how does all of this translate with actual numbers/units.

Well that simply because it is starting to turn into a nonsensical excuse. The dev shared that story as an example to illustrate that they see most of their sales on Switch platform.

The actual point of this is to point out that "sales doesn't come down to userbase size" anymore to many other people. Not everyone knows this.

D.Lo

I would argue that this game looks more like Rayman Origins than it looks like the original Rayman. Obviously Origins looks better and is a way better game, but I don't think that you could show this game to somebody from 1995 and they would say "yeah, so? Clearly this belongs on a PS1"

And of course it doesn't belong on PS1, which is just on the edge of "retro" to begin with. As you start moving up towards the systems that this game is possible on, you're not talking "retro" anymore, you're just talking "lower budget."
Exactly. It's actually ludicrous to write off this game as looking 'retro'. It doesn't even look low budget, what it was trying to do was achieved flawlessly. IMO it looks premium modern 2D.

I read this and wonder what the fuck these other devs are doing on Switch. Where are the release dates? Switch owners want games. Give us your product.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I read this and wonder what the fuck these other devs are doing on Switch. Where are the release dates? Switch owners want games. Give us your product.

Games take time to make and even to port; dev kits didn't go out until relatively close to launch and a lot of developers (particularly in North America) struggled to even get a dev kit.

sheaaaa

Exactly. It's actually ludicrous to write off this game as looking 'retro'. It doesn't even look low budget, what it was trying to do was achieved flawlessly. IMO it looks premium modern 2D.

That was the point I was trying to make to that poster. There's nothing about this game that looks 'retro' apart from the fact that it's 2D. It sounds like he prefers 3D visuals, even in games that are effectively 2D (Inside), but there's nothing that isn't modern about the way Wonder Boy looks.

jariw

In case you're new to the Switch eShop: release dates are usually announced extremely late, unless it's a retail release or NeoGEO.

This week, it seems like there will be 9 game releases and one NeoGEO release for NoA. Half of those were unconfirmed just a few days ago.

Next week, only Steamworld Dig 2 is currently known as an eShop title (since Morphite is delayed), but it's still very likely that there will be 5-6 eShop-only releases next week as well, just as in the weeks before.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Yeah, I'm with you completely. The only thing "holding back" this game is the fact that it's a 1:1 remake of a game designed in the 80s. It's still an excellent game that holds up, but you know what I mean.

The presentation is top of the line... If Nintendo announced a 2D Mario game with this aesthetic tomorrow, GAF would go wild.

I would guess that as a general rule multiplats that don't gain much from being on more powerful hardware/better online infrastructure will tend to sell at least proportionately better on the Switch because of the portability option, be they retro-style indies like Wonderboy or mid-budget games like Nights of Azure 2. Which will make it a great third-party console for any game that can manage to be ported to the device without looking/running like absolute ass.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
"Starved for games" certainly makes it sound more negative. But Switch certainly has a visibility advantage for these indie titles right now, especially when they are good. That plus the traditional Nintendo audience for platformers/family-oriented titles (or in other words, non-dudebros games) makes it an attractive system for indies right now. Meanwhile, games like Runbow got no attention on PS4 or X1 for example.

Obviously, this could change once more of the bigger third parties release their games on Switch. And with shovelware publishers starting to release games en masse in Q4, Nintendo needs to make sure that indie games aren't drowned from the eShop storefront.
Runbow released on other platforms besides WiiU and 3DS?

I can't help but look at the Switch like the Vita (in terms of games not sales lol). Due to a lack of heavy hitters, indies suddenly look a lot more attractive. Plus, due to their smaller nature I prefer to play a lot of indies on Vita rather than PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same. Seeing as Switch is pretty much a Vita successor in my eyes (powerful portable), I would not be surprised if the Switch continues to capture a large chunk of indie sales.

Top Bottom