• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch was the best-selling product online over Thanksgiving

I'm gonna agree with you...I'm not gonna go as far as to say "Fake News" but it may be skewed. The monetary entry point for the Switch is still pretty steep compared to the other two home consoles. Cash is King in most households.

This and the obvious supply constraints. How could a supply constrained full retail priced console outsell a heavily discounted, well supplied console on “the best BF weekend the brand has had in its history?” Something doesn’t add up. I wanna see real numbers.

BONDO

Obviously, its just anecdotal for me.....but tgese things selling like hot cakes and i still dint know anyone that owns the thing besides me since launch.
Coworkers, family, friends, acquaintances....crazy

Z..

Except I am also an EU poster, and you cut out the entirety of the follow up statement that was the actual argument.

If when the PAL charts come out tomorrow it says anywhere "thanksgiving" then you have a point. If it doesn't you're wrong.

Fair?

I didn't adress the rest of your post because much like your previous posts it's entirely built upon fallacious arguments. It's like you're only capable of communicating through straw men, false equivalences, appeals to the stone and essentially arguing from incredulity. You're doubling down on it pretty hard too, making completely moronic leaps of judgement such as equating "could and frequently is" to "always". You seem to have a poor grasp of rhetoric in general and are insisting into turning this discussion into an infantile dick measuring contest just for the sake of asserting some bizarrely misplaced sense of online dominance. So I skipped the rest of your post not because it's convenient for me but because you failed to logically get your point across in a valid manner even one single time. Frankly, I'm a bit done with wasting time on a completely moot point since you're clearly not interested in having any type of logical or civil discussion, but ince I've come this far, though, it is a perdiodically used term across several European nations that I am personally aware of, the UK being one of them and Spain (dia de acción de gracias), France (action de grâce) and Portugal (dia de acção de graças) being the others I have personal experience with. Due to it being celebrated in Brazil, Canada and several Central American countries, the term has long since been a part of the lexicon in the previously mentioned countries and the term is frequently used interchangeably with "black friday", to the point where I became familiar with the term in spanish and french by reading their press (never encountered it when learning the languages) as I had always assumed we just had a weird name for it here in Portugal but that turned out not to be the case since it's pretty similar throughout most latin languages, or at least the 4 I am familiar with.

Stay winning, though.

Ganondolf

As someone who has lived in the UK all my life (30+yrs) I have never heard the term thanksgiving used here expect when referring to the U.S. holiday. We do have black Friday and cyber Monday which started maybe 5 or 6 years back (Amazon being the first large company I remember).

In some other thread some weeks or months ago i thought Nintendo would be the ”King” of the holidays this year. Seems it was a correct assumption.

Not like it was a bold assumption though with the hype, Mario Odyssey etc.

delete12345

As someone who has lived in the UK all my life (30+yrs) I have never heard the term thanksgiving used here expect when referring to the U.S. holiday. We do have black Friday and cyber Monday which started maybe 5 or 6 years back (Amazon being the first large company I remember).

What holidays do you have during Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

I know Thanksgiving is a holiday spawned where the Pilgrims and the Native Americans celebrated a feast together. But I wondered if there's a similar occasion with other nationalities?

Ganondolf

None. Xmas is the next big holiday. We don't have any bank holidays either (days off work dictated by government) for thanksgiving.

LordRaptor

a lot of words saying not much

Cool story bro. Nice Trumpesque sign off.

So here's the thing;
The only logical fallacy at work here is called "proving a negative".

I can't prove that the only people who use the term "Thanksgiving" are Amcericans, or talking to or about Americans. And I didn't bring up the initial claim.

If its so common for unamerican media talking about unamerican events to other unamericans - it should be real fucking easy to make me look ignorant by providing a single link to such a common occurence.
I mean, you're claiming its common, right? It just means "End of November" now?
So put up or shut up.

Meanwhile a business facing website runs a story about "Thanksgiving sales" and felt zero editorial compunction to clarify that it was not talking about "The Day We Offer Gratitudes" in a fishing village in bumfuckistan or other "common" misunderstandings, and PAL charts came out with zero mentions of "Thanksgiving".

What holidays do you have during Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

UKs biggest sales periods are Easter Bank Holiday weekend and Boxing Day.
The lead up to Christmas is just called "December".
We have "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" because Amazon imported them a few years back and other shops followed suit, but its not a longstanding thing, and its referred to exactly as the import name suggest - Black Friday and Cyber Monday, because thats what the importers called it.

Donnie

The "Thanksgiving" handle could be and frequently IS used as an umbrella to reffer to the whole late November/Black Friday sales period in general regardless of territory, I have often encountered such headlines in UK press as well as the 3 other EU countries where I have lived. They are significantly more common than you seem to think

I've never seen a single UK media outlet refer to any time of year as Thanksgiving unless they're specifically talking about the U.S.

LOLCats

Banned
I feel there is no way the switch sold more than the 199$ PS4. Just no way.

And i feel comfortable saying there is no way the Switch outsold the 189$ Xbox One S either. It would have been way higher in the Amazon charts.

rockyt

I found and bought 3 bundles. 1 for my youngest sister who is now a huge Zelda fan. 1 for my wife who like mario and last me.

Top Bottom