• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch wi fi is atrocious for me (READ MOD POST)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
2.4Ghz sucks for me. The speed test from settings said 4Mb. 5Ghz has a worse connection but the speed test reported 38Mb which is at least closer to my 60Mb.

Had a weird issue starting the connection, but after that it was golden. Nowhere near the router, right next to the PS3, in a room with Laptop and phones.

Khezu

I tried using a generic usb lan adapter, but the switch doesn't seem to recognize it for what ever reason.

Skyzard

Banned
Is there a setting like the Vita has where it puts it in low wifi state to save battery?

It would be in settings under power options or energy or something.

Spec wise it's pretty much on par with any modern high-end or upper mid-range phone. Technical specs are 802.11ac with 2x2 MIMO over 80 Hz bands with theoretical speeds up to 867Mb/s on 5GHz and 400Mb/s on 2.4GHz. Actual speeds will depend on antenna configuration and how good a signal is available to the user's wi-fi access point or router.

Wi-fi connectivity will depend heavily on the device's antenna design and whether any other components would compromise the ability of the antenna to get a good signal. Given that metal casings on phones like the HTC One can act as Faraday cages (ie they can block radio waves), the design and positioning of the antenna is extremely important if you want to get a good wi-fi connection. With how many devices use Broadcom wi-fi modules without issue, I'd assume HTC's antenna/case design is the more likely culprit there.

Regarding Switch, I seem to be getting a pretty good connection to a 5GHz network from a fairly mediocre access point on the far side of the house that many other devices have issues with. I haven't thoroughly tested it yet, but it seems good so far.

If people are having issues with any wi-fi connection (Switch or otherwise), I'd recommend the following:

- Use a wi-fi scanner app to see where the emptiest part of the spectrum is and manually set your wi-fi channel to that. Even if it's all pretty similar, manually set it to something. Some access points/routers have issues with switching channels too often in auto mode, and if nothing else by parking yourself in one channel you discourage other networks from using it.

- If your router/access point is running both 2.4GHz and 5GHz as a single SSID, try setting them to separate SSIDs (ie ssidname and ssidname_5ghz) and then connecting 5GHz devices to the 5GHz one. In theory running dual-band on a single SSID is supposed to work, but a lot of consumer routers and access points choke on it and you end up with much worse speed/reliability than two separate networks.

Yeah I would assume it was the casing that caused it, but there were a bunch of ugly ass antenna lines on it. That post mostly made me realise how much I fucking hated that phone. Wifi was one of the worst things about it.

I just switched my wifi to my 5ghz SSID and it's faster, despite the fact it shouldn't be given the distance it has to travel. But still a ways off what it should be on my Internet. But as said distance and walls explain the 5ghz not reaching its full potential. The 2.4ghz is just fecked.

a916

I'm a little puzzled as to why this is having issues. I haven't had a chance to personally test mine but if I'm correct, they are able to run on IEEE 802.11ac... so as far as that's concerned, they should be among the faster wifi devices as long as you have an router than can do that too.

People need to say whether their Switch is docked, whether the joycons are on the Switch or not, and whether they are using 2.4 or 5Ghz.

Lucifon

I'm seriously concerned about this.

My system gets roughly 50meg in speed tests on a 250 connection using 5ghz. Both 5ghz and 2.4ghz report 2 bars signal despite being metres from the router across the room. The XB1 and PS4 right next to the Switch both get 100% WiFi connections.

Even my 3ds upstairs at the opposite end of the house to the router gets full bars on 2.4ghz tested this morning.

Tested:
- Switch Docked then undocked
- Joycons attached then undocked
- no major positive difference between results.

Zemm

I have it right next to my PS4 and I literally can't get a wireless signal on that, has to be connected through ethernet, yet the Switch is OK (1-2 bars but pretty much max speed on the Internet test), my Wii U (again next to both) is also good for a Wifi signal. That's docked and 2.4ghz.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
interesting finding on my part

in the bedroom, 2 rooms away from my router, i tried both 2.4 and 5.0

usually 5.0 is worse out here ,and 2.4 is better but for the Switch i'm actually getting much better 5.0 performance in the bedroom

awesome, but weird

Wifi seems to be fine in tablet mode but is awful docked. Hoping I can find an easy fix, it's kinda annoying.

Exactly the same as me.

I'm going to try and move the dock closer to my router (which is only 3 freaking feet away from my router anyway) and see what happens.

My computer and PS4 have great wifi connectivity downstairs, although I use Ethernet. Phone is absolute great (Samsung Galaxy S7E) The Switch barely gets a signal. Not sure what's up 2.4ghz gets no signal for whatever reason. 5ghz gets 1 bar. That shouldn't be happening.

Rvaisse

No problem with any of my other devices.
The switch dock is around 3 meters from my router.

I have tried a lot of turnarounds ( 2.4/5ghz, Tkip/aes keys, different channels), but the wifi range is still crap, the closer from the router, the better it gets.

The worst case scenario is when the switch is docked and i use the joycons.

It gets better (but not perfect) when joycons are attached to the console, and if i use the pro controller.

In Handeld mode, same as docked : the closer the better, even better with joycons attached but still not ok for a normal usage.

Cathcart

I've downloaded Zelda three times now, all three times it failed just before 100% and I had to start over. Good thing I've got Horizon to play, I was kind of dreading having to decide which one to play.

So far all three downloads were undocked because the wifi strength was stronger near the router. I've just moved the dock there and plugged in a USB network adapter to see if that helps, doing the fourth try docked and wired.

Only other thing that just occurred to me is to remove the SD card I bought. Guess I'll give that a shot next.

:(

Edit: just looked at the memory screen while download four was in progress and it is being saved to the micro SD slot. I guess I'll let this one play out but that's now my biggest suspect so maybe not a wifi issue at all.

Edit 2: download five in progress with no sd card...

Edit 3: yep, it was the card. Fifth try worked.

spookyfish

Yes. I had to take the Switch into the room with the WiFi to get it to download the Zelda patch. Not cool -- but I'm glad it's not just my system.

Anyone with any knowledge on this? Is it "fixable" in an update, or is it crap from here on out?

Cuburt

Connected a room over (about 20 feet) from my router on 5Ghz through a wall with 2 out of 3 bars.

Haven't used online multiplayer but have had no problem accessing the eShop or downloading games.

Shneebs

Neo Member
I am definitely having this problem. My room has my Switch, Xbox One, PS4 and laptop in it and the Switch is the only device that has any problem whatsoever getting a wifi signal. It doesn't matter if it is docked or undocked, or if the joycons are attached, it still won't connect. It is in the exact same spot in my room where I kept my Wii U and that never had problems conecting to my wifi. This is literally the only problem I have with the Switch, I love it otherwise and it's incredibly frustrating.

mclem

I've not noticed any problems, but I haven't done any huge downloads; just the system update, a Zelda update, and the Snipperclips demo.

That said the unit is pretty close to the router - although further from it than the other consoles.

dcx4610

Didn't have any problems on 5G for me. I'm not sure how big the system and Zelda updates were but they downloaded quickly.

singhr1

Did that phone have wifi problems or?

Can you please explain? I'm not up to date with cell phones and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

For all the problems the Nexus 6 had, I don't remember anyone who had it mentioning wifi issues.

The HTC had problematic wifi because it used fewer antenna bands than the nexus resulting in a lower throughput.

Wifi chips often come down to the software drivers that support them so it either needs an update, faulty chips, or launch day woes.

Bluth54

I only have 2.4 Ghz wifi and I was able to download the system update and Zelda patch in only a couple of minutes combined for both even though I was several rooms away from my router so it hasn't been too bad for me so far. I do have my original Wii LAN adapter hooked up to my dock though. The Switch does seem to auto switch to the wired connection when available so that's a nice.

My switch won't even find my 5ghz network. Connects fine to my 2.4 and downloads at a fine speed even if it's only getting 1-2 bars on average.

Nzyme32

This might be a hardware issue. Lots of people having no issues with wi-fi, but there are a few with absolutely atrocious reception. A streamer "Limes" has to be right next to her router to get any connection at all. In the end she created a wi-fi hotspot out of her phone and kept that next to the Switch. Couple of other streamers have very similar issues

I had a weird problem where, during system setup, I tried multiple times to connect and failed. Made sure my computer and phone were connecting okay, but still nothing. So I just skipped the internet setup, but after I got into the main menu, the connection started working (it thankfully saves your settings even if the connection fails, almost as if Nintendo knew it had problems). It just seems to come and go randomly. My system is also like 3 feet away from the router. Luckily, I didn't seem to have any issues downloading the system update or Zelda update.

MrBenchmark

How many people with issues have mostly LED lights in their house and also have Wifi channels on auto? Just asking.

I have had Zero issues with the wifi or the controllers. I used to have issues with this kind of stuff but i made sure i bought a good router configured channels properly based my surrounding area and got rid of every single LED bulb in my house.

In home conditions of course vary wildly. Age of the house quality of wiring and other devices etc etc.

2.4 in the U.S pick a channel 1,6,11 5ghz pick the least congested 3 digit channel check whats around you. If you don't have a good quality router and can get one. And take the time to set it up right. Anything that can be wired -wire it! reserve IP's for high priority devices.

And seriously LED bulbs are bad.

My problems are intermittent; sometimes it seems to be pretty much fine, others it simply won't connect at all. Sitting in the same spot as all my other consoles, none of which have ever had problems.

Misterhbk

No issues with my connection thus far. So I'm guessing this is isolated and not an actual hardware issue? I was able to set it up and download both Breath of the wild and I am Setsuna in about 10-15 mins at most.

Cathcart

No issues with my connection thus far. So I'm guessing this is isolated and not an actual hardware issue? I was able to set it up and download both Breath of the wild and I am Setsuna in about 10-15 mins at most.
lol give me your internet. Even wired my botw download takes 2 hours.

Lucifon

Works fine with my nighthawk router , fast as fuck

Good to know as I have the 6400 (model down from the 7000 nighthawk) so I was concerned it was the router not playing nice with the Switch. Bought it literally a week ago.

How many people with issues have mostly LED lights in their house and also have Wifi channels on auto? Just asking.

I have had Zero issues with the wifi or the controllers. I used to have issues with this kind of stuff but i made sure i bought a good router configured channels properly based my surrounding area and got rid of every single LED bulb in my house.

In home conditions of course vary wildly. Age of the house quality of wiring and other devices etc etc.

2.4 in the U.S pick a channel 1,6,11 5ghz pick the least congested 3 digit channel check whats around you. If you don't have a good quality router and can get one. And take the time to set it up right. Anything that can be wired -wire it! reserve IP's for high priority devices.

And seriously LED bulbs are bad.

My channels are on auto but there's literally no other Wifi in range so...

Bluth54

Has anyone else noticed how the Switch shows multiple APs as different wireless networks when you go to connect? I have a router and a wireless AP and it showed both of them when I attempted to connect. That's kinda unusual, usually if multiple wireless networks have the same name it will just show the one that has the best signal.

It doesn't seem to have any issues switching between the different wireless APs though.

Andyliini

Have no problems anymore. I had some problems with it at first, because I ran out of space and bte Switch behind my TV. It didn't find the WiFi there. Then I decided to make room for it, and it now rests on top of my PS4. No more WiFi Problems here.

Plasmid

I was having pretty bad issues with my mobile hotspot (yes i know) and my switch today. Switching to LTE seemed to fix it, along with changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. respectively.

Lots of "wifi is not strong enough" errors even when the device is RIGHT by the docked switch. Hopefully this doesn't continue going forward.

Rodin

I have no problems in 5GHZ. Downloaded the update in 3 seconds and the 250mb Zelda patch in a minute or so. I get pretty low signal, but seems decently fast. Maybe the servers getting hammered has something to do with the slow downloads some people are reporting?

No problems here, downloaded the switch update, zelda update and all the neogeo games. Downloads were fast, connection never broke.

nampad

Is anyone else getting issues with Switch wi-fi? I am getting one bar and constantly disconnects in a room right next to my router where all other devices to not drop.

It is absolutely terrible and I hope it's a fluke issue I'm having and not an issue with the system itself.

Try switching your wifi channel. Maybe the Switch doesn't work well on one while the other devices don't have any issues on that channel.
Try using some app to scan your wifi environment for a channel that isn't used much.

Berordn

No problem here using my 5Ghz connection, typically getting 80% strength a few rooms away from the router.

It's generally doing better than the PS4 in the same space.

Top Bottom