• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch with updated Tegra (Switch=T210, New=T214), and 8GB detected

LordOfChaos

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=SPL_services&curid=131&diff=4171&oldid=4118

Interesting. Seems early for a revision, but if it's a higher end Pro that would fit with the industry. Wondering how different the Tegra is, minor revision or TX2 based. They already built a lot of their games to scale resolution dynamically so a lot would automatically be better.

Dev kits are often twice the RAM of the host system though so not sure if this will be a nothingburger with a minor TX1 change. But Switch dev kits have had the same 4GB as the console so far...

Last edited:

Fbh

Will wait for more detail.

On one side more power wouldn't hurt. On the other side getting a significantly stronger revision when it's only been a year since it launched would be pretty crappy for early adopters.

Leocarian

Banned
lmao I just bought a switch last year, I hope the gap in power isn't too substantial.

So just because you've spent money you want future buyers to suffer? While I can see this from your point of you as well, but it's no one's but your fault for buying it early lol.

Last edited:

Dakhil

I'm expecting a customised Tegra X2 for the Nintendo Switch revision. But I'll be surprised if Nintendo decides to go with Tegra Xavier for the Nintendo Switch revision (although it's very unlikely).

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Dev kits are often twice the RAM of the host system though so not sure if this will be a nothingburger with a minor TX1 change.

If I had to guess that's what this is. If we look at the Xbox One X dev kit the specs are almost identical to the retail except it has double the RAM. I'd be very surprised if Nintendo released a new updated console that included double the memory so soon.

n0razi

Most likely a revision to patch the security holes that the crackers found. At most, there might be some power efficiency revisions for better battery life.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=SPL_services&curid=131&diff=4171&oldid=4118

Interesting. Seems early for a revision, but if it's a higher end Pro that would fit with the industry. Wondering how different the Tegra is, minor revision or TX2 based. They already built a lot of their games to scale resolution dynamically so a lot would automatically be better.

Dev kits are often twice the RAM of the host system though so not sure if this will be a nothingburger with a minor TX1 change.

I clicked on your link and I see a whole bunch of code I don’t understand and I’m not sure who that Twitter user is.

Can anyone give a brief explanation of what this means to non-hackers?

I’m guessing they found some references to more powerful hardware hidden in the Switch’s firmware? Possibly from the latest firmware patch?

KINGMOKU

This doesn't bother me. I never expected to love my switch as much as I do and its bordering insanity. I have a 60' ks8000 a PS4 XBOX1 and between those two systems have 10 games.

I have 30 games on the switch(for reference I also have a wiiu/wii and have 8 games and never played skyward sword which is INSANE for me. I have every original copy of every zelda ever made except for the CD-I ones and have logged more then 420 hours into BOTW)and if thru the nintendo account i can transfer all my current games onto the new switch ill buy one instantly.

I just can't get enough of this insanely cool little system and ill buy the next iteration at a high price.(two actually. The misses has one as well) I want every game ever on this saucy little Bastard. Up the power nintendo and get more third party games!

Swizzle

Gold Member
So just because you've spent money you want future buyers to suffer? While I can see this from your point of you as well, but it's no one's but your fault for buying it early lol.

On the other hand future buyer would get a HW that few games would actually take advantage of, but the privilege of giving Nintendo £249 or more for it ;). Yeah, I do not like iterative consoles :(.

rokkerkory

Fully expect nintendo to do what they have always done for their handhelds, iterative and bit more hp with each version

Donnie

If I had to guess that's what this is. If we look at the Xbox One X dev kit the specs are almost identical to the retail except it has double the RAM. I'd be very surprised if Nintendo released a new updated console that included double the memory so soon.

Switch dev kit has 4GB, same as retail unit (3.5GB usable for games of course).

Eh I hope not.

Why? There's no reason why a revision like this would have any negative impact on the original Switch.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Well I mean consider that dev kits are often released 6 to 12 months before the corresponding retail unit.
Yeah I know. Supposedly developing on stronger hardware than what it will actually end up running on is better for optimization purposes. Maybe devs requested a more powerful devkit?

I dunno I'm just speculating obviously. I guess it could be a retail version but I'd be kinda shocked.

Blam

Why? There's no reason why a revision like this would have any negative impact on the original Switch.
actually look at n3dsxl v 3ds v 2ds.

this is going to hold games back, and also make games more exclusive to one platform aka faster one.

Donnie

Switch games already have two performance modes by default, so its hardly difficult to extend that to 3. Even original games could potentially run in docked mode on a new handheld. Its not the same situation as 3DS.

Last edited:

NickFire

I can't speak for the world, but if they release a version with better graphical performance within the first two years on the shelve, then I am done buying Nintendo hardware forever. I am fine with revisions that let them increase manufacturing output and/or reduce cost. But in a closed dedicated gaming system, I expect a purchase in the first year on the shelves to remain top of the line for the product for what I consider a reasonable time, unless I specifically bought a watered down version. Again, can only speak for myself though.

Breakage

If there really is an uprated Switch on the horizon, I wonder whether it will have a more premium feel when it comes to build quality.

So this one is Switch L, then next one Switch XL, then XLL

I hope they make the battery more durable, 4 hours not long enough for full charge

Waaaay too soon for a performance-increasing revision. That's a good way to piss off loyalists. I'd be fine with better battery life or a better screen, but if games run better in a new revision this year I will not be happy.

DESTROYA

I’m just throwing it out there but maybe it’s a console only.Tell you the truth wouldn’t mind having a cheaper mini switch box for home use only that plays games in full power mode.

TYRiAX

Will happily buy every single incremental iteration of the switch that Nintendo releases. I play the system almost every day so I would consider any upgrade cost worth it in my case. Having said that I do agree that from a marketing/branding/goodwill perspective it's way too soon, probably the earliest Nintendo should do this is at the end of year 3

Zannegan

It's just way too soon for a major Switch revision, be it a Pro, a Go, an XL, or a Home edition.

I suppose an 8gb box could be that supplemental computing device they hold the patent to. As I recall from lurking around here during the patent days, the SCD wasn't intended to be something that would boost GPU/CPU power like many thought, so much as a home server that users could purchase and even be rewarded for keeping online when they weren't playing. That would be a weird (aka "Nintendo-like") solution to the problem of dedicated servers, and it would fit with the timing of their still-mysterious online service.

Fun to think about, but I'm not going to go out on a limb and actually predict an SDC for 2018. It's all too pat. Reads like one of those fan theories that people get weirdly passionate about, "Look at the facts. It''s obvious Man Icarus: Revenge is Nintendo's big game for 2008! Wake up sheeple!!!" And then Nintendo gives you Ravi Drums. Lol.

I'm sticking with a misread/misinterpreted prediction until further notice.

Yohanov

Neo Member
GBA release : March-June 2001
GBA SP release : February-March 2003
~ 23 month

Nds release : Nov 2004 to March 2005
Nds lite release : Mars to June 2006
~ 16 months

3DS : Feb-March 2011
3DS XL : July - August 2012
~ 17 months

It's been 12 month since the switch has released.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I'd certainly be interested in a revision offering a little more grunt. The Switch is wonderful and the games fantastic, but the performance in some titles is lacking somewhat. Could have a locked 60fps in Bayonetta with a "pro" variant and higher clock speeds.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
~ 23 month

~ 16 months

~ 17 months

Yea so if it happens around the holidays it should be normal.

Yohanov

Neo Member
But they never released upgrades for an home console and those handelds I listed were less expensive.

It's still selling like hotcakes so I don't really believe they would do it until at least 30/36 months in.

grumpyGamer

i get it, but fuck Nintendo the same, they should at least give a 2 year gap between releases.
If ms or sony did this they would get hell from fans.
And don't say that is a handheld and the market is different, because the price sure is the same or even more.

just bought my switch last month T.T

Pasedo

I've always thought that consoles will eventually go down the mobile phone route and get people to upgrade more regularly. You see it shifting this way already. I mean the masses spend over a grand every year to get the latest mobile phone - why couldn't it work for consoles which are also less than half the price. Switch being mainly a portable form factor who knows may eventually get a revision each year. I see retailers like Gamestop or Eb Games here in Australia getting into 12 or 24 month console plans. It also opens up new sales channels into Telcos for Nintendo. It's all about thinking outside the box for them 😊

The new chip will be used for the new dock that will be sold separately. I hereby baptize it Nintendo "SuperDock." It will be announced to counter the PS5 hype.

Called it back in 2016, you see. Hope I'm right as I have bought 3 Switches already and I don't want those to become obsolete this soon. lol

SCD is just a GPU/CPU

Allandor

~ 23 month

~ 16 months

~ 17 months

those were only "cheaper" or other form-factors. No really new hardware. This is more like the change from 3DS to "new 3DS".
I get why they might add a newer tegra (might be cheaper and consume less energy) but additional RAM does not make sense, because of the memory price.

Top Bottom