• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 52.48 million | Pokemon Sword and Shield sales top 16.06 million

Aidah

7.57 million Switch vs 3.24 million Switch lite in the last quarter. Clearly most buyers think of Switch as a hybrid and are willing to pay 50% more to get the non-handheld experience. Not really surprising considering the games are designed as home console games and going handheld only will limit your experience in a lot of them.

Last edited:

Mozza

This is why I always say owning different platforms makes you love and appreciate the medium more and more

Switch got intense games too but I don’t buy it for those games. I buy it for Nintendo games. Getting out of the usual bubble is great and healthy. Do it mate, you won’t regret it.

The console space is so much better with a choice if three consoles, and the Switch is a perfect partner to either the Ps4 or Xbox One.

Kenji Ramon

Man, Nintendo has the holy trinity of evergreen exclusives: Mariokart, Smash, and Pokemon. Looks like Zelda has joined the mega-sellin trio. Some say exclusives don't matter, but Nintendo always seem to keep their base buying games at full retail price. You can't tell me Sony and Microsoft doesn't want some of that action.

Of course they do that’s why Sony upped their game (pardon the pun) this generation and have been on par (or even better than Nintendo) when it comes to console exclusives.

goldenpp72

Now If Nintendo is smart, they won't make the same mistake again and give the hardware a refresh (Pro model) this year or early next year. Don't let the next gen consoles take the wind out of your sails.

Yeah I'd hate to see all those third party games stop being ported over ☠

Fake

Now If Nintendo is smart, they won't make the same mistake again and give the hardware a refresh (Pro model) this year or early next year. Don't let the next gen consoles take the wind out of your sails.
Don't get this logic. Is the New Nintendo 3DS affect the sales of Nintendo 3DS/2DS?

Michele

you.
Well, I'm just glad there won't be many of those annoying whiners. Maybe there's one here and there, but there's no longer many of them to the point that they are actively ruining the peoples' consideration on whenever to buy the game or not. And if this keeps up, well, with DLC, they may actually surpass Gen 1 and/or 2. Give it time.

For the record how many sales was Gen 1 or 2?

goldenpp72

Well, I'm just glad there won't be many of those annoying whiners. Maybe there's one here and there, but there's no longer many of them to the point that they are actively ruining the peoples' consideration on whenever to buy the game or not. And if this keeps up, well, with DLC, they may actually surpass Gen 1 and/or 2. Give it time.

For the record how many sales was Gen 1 or 2?

Gen 1 is over 30 and that isn't including like 15 million for yellow, gen 2 I think is at 23 without including crystal. Basically, SS will likely take second if you don't include the third versions, but it basically is impossible to ever pass gen 1

Michele

you.
Gen 1 is over 30 and that isn't including like 15 million for yellow, gen 2 I think is at 23 without including crystal. Basically, SS will likely take second if you don't include the third versions, but it basically is impossible to ever pass gen 1
>impossible
>surpasses BW
>has DLC for summer/fall

To be fair, it won't be immediate. You didn't read the part I said, called "Give it time". Give SwSh some time and it will potentially surpass gen 2, or even gen 1. As it is, since the DLC are coming, then an enhanced version of Sword and Shield likely won't come at all.

Thus, there's going likely to be some small bursts of sales when the DLC comes.

Last edited:

Codes 208

>impossible
>surpasses BW
>has DLC for summer/fall

To be fair, it won't be immediate. You didn't read the part I said, called "Give it time". Give SwSh some time and it will potentially surpass gen 2, or even gen 1. As it is, since the DLC are coming, then an enhanced version of Sword and Shield likely won't come at all.
Im sure theyll have a complete edition at the end of the year that will help push sales further as well. SS have a decent chance to surpass gen 1 (which i personally have mixed feelings about considering SS is so far my least favorite gen.)

Leprech

With sales like that... the game they actually produced and the stuff they cut seems like even more bullshit than ever.
Lazy cunts

Michele

you.
Maybe after PS5 release PS4 sales get cold. Or even after if we really have a Swtich PRO.

Humph! Just watch your tongue. :p I'm pretty sure PS5 sales will not surpass Switch in all fairness, that's if we do get Switch PRO.

goldenpp72

>impossible
>surpasses BW
>has DLC for summer/fall

Thus, there's going likely to be some small bursts of sales when the DLC comes.

I'd bet serious money that SS will not surpass gen 1. I actually follow these data trends and aside Mario Maker under performing a bit I've been dead on. I still remember being made fun of here for stating Switch would outsell Wii U within a year and change and that MK8 would easily outsell the U version in no time when people questioned why they bothered porting it. SS will keep selling but it will slow down a lot and just become a normal good seller just like Smash from here. It will pace beyond 20 million but it's not gonna happen in like a month like some think.

It has the advantage of having the whole year and likely most of next to itself sure, but that isn't going to push it over 35 million lol.

Fake

Humph! Just watch your tongue. :p I'm pretty sure PS5 sales will not surpass Switch in all fairness, that's if we do get Switch PRO.
I'm not talking about PS5, but about PS4. I can't say anything about PS5 sales, but this year PS4 sales will get affected by the PS5 release that's for sure.

Fbh

Good for Nintendo, those are some great numbers. Their output has been pretty great and I have been enjoying my Switch so I hope they keep supporting it for quite some time. With how strong their software sales are and how many Switches there are out there it gives me hope they won't make exclusives for the rumored Pro model.

Also LOL that's why Gamefreak and the Pokemon company don't give a shit. Every dev/publisher out there would kill to be able to release mid budget Ps2 tier games for $60 in 2019 and sell 16 million copies in just a few months.

Orta

Banned
Best selling games of PS4 and XB1
-GTA V
-Cod MW 2019
-Cod AW
-Cod BLOPS 4
-Cod BLOPS 3
-Cod WW2
-RDR2
-Battlefield 1
-FIFA 2014-2020
-StarWars BF

Best Selling Switch games
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
-Smash Ultimate
-Mario Odyssey
-Zelda BOTW
-Pokemon SwSh
-Pokemon Let's GO
-Splatoon 2
-SMP
-NSMBUD
-Luigis Mansion 3

PS5 and XSX will affect the console that primarily bought to play COD and the gang.

Mat NPD(sales analyst) already stated that Switch is going to be the best selling console in the next few years and the only thing will affect its leg is the Switch successor.

Christ, take away GTA and that top list of games is utterly coma inducing.

Michele

you.
I'm not talking about PS5, but about PS4. I can't say anything about PS5 sales, but this year PS4 sales will get affected by the PS5 release that's for sure.

I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. But yeah, I was saying that PS4 will GET surpassed by Switch in time to come. Maybe not immediately, but in a year or two to come, possibly longer than that.. If it continues to be successful, then even PS5 might not surpass Switch's lifetime sales. But I don't know the future admittedly so I don't know. We'll see.

I'd bet serious money that SS will not surpass gen 1. I actually follow these data trends and aside Mario Maker under performing a bit I've been dead on. I still remember being made fun of here for stating Switch would outsell Wii U within a year and change and that MK8 would easily outsell the U version in no time when people questioned why they bothered porting it. SS will keep selling but it will slow down a lot and just become a normal good seller just like Smash from here. It will pace beyond 20 million but it's not gonna happen in like a month like some think.

It has the advantage of having the whole year and likely most of next to itself sure, but that isn't going to push it over 35 million lol.

Mmh, you do indeed have a good point. If it's really as you say, then we can only wait for the sales of Sword and Shield. Something may change in the future, it might be as you really said the truth. But I didn't necessarily say immediately, I did say that with time, as DLC comes, there may be small bursts of new sales; which did imply that it wouldn't surpass Gen 1 sales immediately. And as said before, there might likely not be a Ultra Sword and Shield versions or anything like that considering we got DLC. So, as I said before; We'll SEE about it in the future.

Also I just realized that my Neogaf premium member expires this year on November, not a new month like I thought. I'm really surprised honestly, yet happy.

Bandi

Banned
Of course they do that’s why Sony upped their game (pardon the pun) this generation and have been on par (or even better than Nintendo) when it comes to console exclusives.

hahaha no, just look at how much their console exclusive games have sold.. not even close, also quality wise they are not close to nintendos exclusive games...

I mean just look at this bruh:

aVMz7pO_700bwp.webp

iconmaster

Banned
Nintendo has revised its previously announced forecast that it will sell 18 million Switch units between April 2019 and March 2020 to 19.5 million units.

Quite a change from this time last year when Nintendo had to revise its Switch sales forecast downward.

There has to be more for 2020 than just Animal Crossing, right?

it's already confirmed and leaked. there is a pro model coming in 2020

Hoo boy.

Shaqazooloo

Sword and Shield have a realistic chance of passing Gold and Silver sales. Not sure about Red and Blue though, 30 million is asking a lot.

I'm a little disappointed by Fire Emblem: Three Houses holiday sales, I would like to see it's word of mouth get it to 3 million by years end, but i'm not super confident about it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ring Fit Adventure sold 2.17 million.

A €80 software with a bizarre control system probably sold more than, say, Xenoblade 2 did in 2+ years on the market.

Let that sink in.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Ring Fit Adventure sold 2.17 million.

A €80 software with a bizarre control system probably sold more than, say, Xenoblade 2 did in 2+ years on the market.

Let that sink in.

Ring Fit Adventure arguargbly should have sold even more. That game IS Wii Fit done right.

Xenoblade 2 result by JRPG standards (tough to break a million) is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

jts

...hate me...
That’s nearly $1B in revenue for Pokémon in less than 2 months. Now if only some third parties had the foresight to establish a trust relationship with a huge audience with deep pockets and tap into some of that money. How unfortunate.

Rolla

Banned
So switch has now outsold/shipped more than XBOX one family of devices? That's a new thread worthy right? Seems really significant.

There has to be more for 2020 than just Animal Crossing, right?

Absolutely. Unless I'm missing something here, I don't think there's any game announced for the second half of the year. Not sure what are the odds of something major being revealed in the next Direct, but there's a clear gap that needs to be filled.

Besides, it would be cruel if both the rumors of a new Paper Mario done like the old ones and a new 2D Metroid turned out to be false.

goldenpp72

Depends on how long Nintendo will support it with games. If it gets another Smash or Mariokart, it will be close.

This makes no sense and it won't happen. People don't sell the console and rebuy it when a sequel hits, BOTW2 might sell 15 million units but it won't move 15 million more Switches, it might push a couple more million. Only first entries have that power, Nintendo will need new IP, new entries in IP not established on Switch and the continued push of their evergreen titles to keep it moving.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Glad to see Pokemon doing well. I loved my time with Sword and Shield. Excited to see the next batch of first party titles coming from Nintendo.

leo-j

Hahaha! There's no way Pokemon can surpass PS4!

Now if it were Switch, though... yeah, it will surpass PS4. As an avid Nintendo Fan, I'm very, very impressed by that number, and really proud and happy of Nintendo even if their decisions might not be the best.

I have to disagree. You think the switch will outsell the Wii and then catch the ps4? Ps4 is at 106 M and still will likely sell another 15-20 million before it’s discontinued.

Javthusiast

Banned
Pokemon in just month and a half over 16 million copies. LOL
For a damn 60$ retail price, not for 1$

Well done, Nintendo fans.

60>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1

It is disgusting if you think about it though. This means they have zero reason to improve anything. xD

Last edited:

leo-j

Christ, take away GTA and that top list of games is utterly coma inducing.

that looks like an NPD list aka just US sales. Are we saying starwars BF sold more than 16 million copies? Over Uncharted4? Also Spider-Man? Mhm.....

diffusionx

Gold Member
that looks like an NPD list aka just US sales. Are we saying starwars BF sold more than 16 million copies? Over Uncharted4? Also Spider-Man? Mhm.....

Yes

Electronic Arts made its sales goal of shipping 13 million copies of the game by the start of 2016 and had shipped 14 million copies by May 2016.[83] Although launched in 2015, the game sold well enough to be the seventeenth best-selling game in the UK in 2016.

Top Bottom