• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 61.44 million, Animal Crossing: New Horizon tops 22.4 million

supernova8

Banned
The trouble with 4k is that you need a vast amount more GPU for not that much extra fanciness when in all honesty that extra GPU power might be better spent on effects, more polygons, or whatever. It just seems to me that we've gone down a bit of a dead-end.

Aha yeah you've pretty much nailed next-gen on the head right there! I too wish they would stick with 1080p and maybe games actually look much better instead.

Aha yeah you've pretty much nailed next-gen on the head right there! I too wish they would stick with 1080p and maybe games actually look much better instead.

Resolution is a significant element of how games look. Higher resolution = more PPI = more detail.

Last edited:

tkscz

Resolution is a significant element of how games look. Higher resolution = more PPI = more detail.

More IQ (image quality) for sure but things like particles, shadows, lighting, draw distance, poly-count and frame rate are hindered by higher resolutions if the hardware can't handle it all.

If you stick with 1080p, things like Aliasing, and texture quality (kind of, you can have higher resolution textures than the actual image resolution, DLSS works on this somewhat) won't get much better, but everything can.

Last edited:
More IQ (image quality) for sure but things like particles, shadows, lighting, draw distance and frame rate are hindered by higher resolutions if the hardware can't handle it all.

For sure, but at 1080p all of those improvements will look washed out and rather unimpressive compared to 4K and even 1440p.

RaptorGTA

Well deserved. The Switch is still the only other platform I play on besides the PC. Had an absolute blast with Animal Crossing. Will probably get back in it when falls comes.

supernova8

Banned
For sure, but at 1080p all of those improvements will look washed out and rather unimpressive compared to 4K and even 1440p.

I disagree. There's a reason why real life TV at 1080p looks more realistic than Uncharted 4 at 4K. They can definitely add more detail without increasing the resolution.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Diminishing returns. Past a certain point the benefit from doubling the resolution stops being worthwhile - better to put that power into other things, especially as upping the resolution pushes GPU requirements through the roof - I'd argue that no current GPUs can really do 4K properly, which means we're gonna get games with gimped graphics because they're targetting 4k.

Woopah

I guess these games are not third-party!?
91InW5hEU3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
dj5dkmj7ssn51.jpg

Bayonetta-3.jpg
nmh3_logo.png
smtv-logo.png
Bayonetta 3 is a first party game and Bravely Default 2 is only third party in Japan.
That's why it's very possible for Switch to reach PS4 WW sales by two years or less from now, considering this year is very strong in terms of software for Switch (MHR, Pokemon Snap and Mario alone are enough) and will probably sell around 25mil-30mil, putting it at around 110mil by the end of next FY.

PS4 already grew what it could, no matter the circumstances, if it could grew even more, that's another story for speculation (which would be fun to do, btw).
Switch should have a strong year for software, but a lot of things are still to be confirmed (especially for the 2nd half). I do agree that Switch will probably reach PS4 sales in two years or so.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bayonetta 3 is a first party game and Bravely Default 2 is only third party in Japan.
All these games I listed are being developed by third party developers, Switch is not lacking on third party support. In fact you rarely see Capcom and Platinum Games make exclusives for other systems

Top Bottom