• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switches 3.5mm Audio Jack Doesn't work when docked?

I can't find anything online about this. Has anyone tested this?

When I dock my switch, and hook it up to my line-in on my speakers it just lets out a huge buzzing noise. When I undock it, the buzzing stops.

Just to be clear - I have the audio hooked up the same exact way docked/undocked
(3.5mm audio jack on the switch to my speakers line-in)
DOCKED it makes a really loud buzzing noise.
UNDOCKED the buzzing stops, and it works fine.

What the hell?

Edit:
I've tried other cables, and I don't use headphones, I use my computer speakers.
Seems like other people are having this problem too when using speakers, but headphones seem to be working.

Oregano

My speaker buzz but the sound does come through. I'm not sure why...

Headphones work perfectly when docked.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
My speaker buzz but the sound does come through. I'm not sure why...

Headphones work perfectly when docked.

Sounds like a potential grounding issue? Could be that the increased voltage in docked mode messes with things. There are those kind of ground adapters that are designed to alleviate issues like that, maybe that's needed on some setups?

Akronis

The Switch charges when it's docked, correct? Phones have a very similar issue with EM interference when charging with the headphone jack.

Kuro

Sounds like electrical interference. Either your switch doesn't have proper shielding or something nearby or the jack is causing the issue.

Eolz

Hmm, that's weird, I've only played docked with headphones in that jack so far. No buzzing at all either.
Could that be due to the cable, did you try with just headphones? Unlikely, but not sure what else could be the issue.

Tarantism

Neo Member
I'm using a 4 way audio switch box and get buzzing unless I unplug all the audio cables for the other devices (or plug the speaker's cables directly into the Switch). Do you have any other audio cables plugged into a receiver or the like? Might be worth unplugging them.

CompC

It does work. I'm playing on a computer monitor and I get sound to my speakers through the headphone port.

Fledz

I don't get buzzing but I use audio production headphones that are grounded properly via their own cable, so I could see an issue with cheaper headphones or speakers.

Somnid

Audio out does work in dock mode and it's been life saver as my HDMI sound splitter doesn't work with Switch (I think it's something to do with the two devices auto-detecting and not syncing up in time). No buzzing, make sure your audio cable is properly shielded and undamaged and maybe move it away from other electronic devices.

I'm using a 4 way audio switch box and get buzzing unless I unplug all the audio cables for the other devices (or plug the speaker's cables directly into the Switch). Do you have any other audio cables plugged into a receiver or the like? Might be worth unplugging them.

So this seemed to kinda work.

I run line in thru my PC, and hooking directly up to my speakers did get rid of the buzzing.

Still, this issue is weird considering this only happens when it's docked, and it only happens on my switch and none of my other systems.

Tarantism

Neo Member
So this seemed to kinda work.

I run line in thru my PC, and hooking directly up to my speakers did get rid of the buzzing.

Still, this issue is weird considering this only happens when it's docked, and it only happens on my switch and none of my other systems.

Glad to hear it helped. Yeah, I never had this trouble with any other device either. The Switch must be extra sensitive to interference.

kami_sama

Audio on the Switch seems to be a little iffy. I myself have had trouble with buzzing on the headphone jack even is the sound is all the way down.
Had to exchange it :(

Top Bottom