• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization |OT| - Just living in the Database Wow Wow

Multiplayer questions:

3 people want to play together.

How much can you play together? 100% of the game?
How is it when people are different levels?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Multiplayer questions:

3 people want to play together.

How much can you play together? 100% of the game?
How is it when people are different levels?

While its hard to find exact answers, it seems that MP you dont progress the story and such. Its more playing in areas that have been unlocked by the person who created the room. Though am not sure what happens if another user does not have that area unlocked themselves.

Have not seen any info in regards to players being different levels. Then again I didnt bother looking that deeply into it outside of simple basic searching.

You can also set the difficulty level of the room which effects exp gain and weapon skill lv gain. Normal and Hard apparently the quality of items dropped does not change.

You can also trade items and equipment with players. Though some equipment will be marked as unable to be traded just like in normal MMOs.

Not my footage but you can watch a bunch of Lv 44 players take on a Lv 98 monster. (Has JP players talking so for those who hate voice on video "like me" turn the sound off)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqP6yZ09LO0

Some other vid of another JP player doing a MP vid w/commentary vs the games first real boss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql4sPoER2Z0

Vita MP footage. - Owlowiscious this vid might interest you in particular as the party has a Lv 70 and a Lv 50 so thats a pretty big gap and they are fighting a lv 140 monster in the field. (w/ JP commentary) Though no idea whats wrong with the lv 50 player. Must have disconnected. Later in the vid there is another mixed level party that is actually alive lol. Use the 2nd link below as its the timestamped showing the mixed level party. Gives you a good idea of how crazy the buffs are too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMEwWNeMD1Y
https://youtu.be/VMEwWNeMD1Y?t=2419

Another vid with a player doing a full party with AI characters in MP (since you can play MP by yourself it seems. no commentary. Looks like they are just killing shit in the field to level / skill up weapons according to the vid title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFJ_bep4pc

Im trying not to burn my place down currently so will have to edit these into the OP later on. But the vids should be good for those curious about what MP looks like from actual players and not promotional videos.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
By how multiplayer is structured (choose an area you've unlocked and go), I'm pretty sure you can't progress the story there. Single player is all about being blocked from progression, going back to town to have a lengthy VN part where you talk with other characters etc. You can't even warp back to town in mp.

Currently downloading the game from the SEN store, it seems preload has been activated a few hours ago.
Nice to see that the extra costumes are in fact extra data and not just 100kb unlock keys.

I think that tvtropes.org has recaps of all the anime episodes, Seasons One and Two. If anything, knowing a bit more about the actual characters may be more useful. I couldn't find much of a recap from Hollow Fragment, but from what I remember from playing it it lined up with season 1, around episode 10 I think? Then it goes from there for the floor clearing bits. The Hollow area is something different. There are a few odd things like characters from Season 2 showing up in Hollow Fragment before they were around in the series.

I think if I were you, I'd check out these places and read up on the story and characters. Show spoilers... obviously.

tvtropes.org SAO Recap

SAO Wikia - Hollow Fragment

and even

SAO Infinity Moment (the game prior to Hollow Fragment)

Hasemo, thanks again for your impressions. I am pretty excited for this game having enjoyed Hollow Fragment for a good chunk of time. I too have always enjoyed soloing in MMOs. BST 1-73ish solo in FFXI and those are some of the best memories I have gaming-wise. =P I hope that the junkier aspects don't trip me up. Thanks again, especially for the update on multiplayer as it has been very difficult to really find out what that entails exactly and I have a couple friends that will be picking this up due to my pestering them about it.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Parakeetman

Still waiting for the US / EU vita pricing so can update the thread. Hopefully by tomorrow. Just checked the US PSN and no luck yet.

If anyone else finds out the NA / EU vita pricing before me do a post and will update the OP with that.

Wow, surprisingly my copy shipped already, despite me using the standard shipping since I can't get the free two day shipping with a PO Box. Says it won't be here until next Tuesday, but those estimates are usually off by a few days, so hopefully I have it by the weekend... not that I'll have the whole time to enjoy it because of work :S

Parakeetman

Got info on the EU Vita version pricing 39.99 EUR.

Still waiting for the NA and UK pricing... :/

Parakeetman

US pricing for Vita: $39.99 for the regular launch bundle
$64.99 for the deluxe bundle (incl. season pass)

Awesome thanks for that will update the OP now!

Ok got all the info updated in the OP with the prices for the Vita version.

NA / EU Pricing PlayStation Vita:
Digital: 39.99 USD / 29.99 GBP / 39.99 EUR
Digital Deluxe: 64.99 USD / 44.99 GBP / 59.99 EUR

Also updated the media section adding in the PS4 / PSV multiplayer footage which I had posted earlier on this page.

In regards to Western reviews, did a quick pass on google and nothing yet apparently. Will update the thread when they start to come in. I wonder if Bandai Namco didnt send codes out or something? Though there was some foreign sites review over at metacritic but nothing in English.

ryousuke

Started the game just now, level 4, doing some quests. I saw a boar (elite ?) level 13 but avoided it for now. I'm now level 5 and he's level 14. The monsters level up when we do or something ?

Parakeetman

Started the game just now, level 4, doing some quests. I saw a boar (elite ?) level 13 but avoided it for now. I'm now level 5 and he's level 14. The monsters level up when we do or something ?

Am not sure on that actually. Did you leave the zone? Since I think the game might have a level range set when it respawns after zoning in and out again. Dont think enemies scale with you as when I run back through lower lv areas stuff is still generally the same

Parakeetman

How worth it do you think this season pass will be for 3 pieces of content for $25?

Id say only get it if you are a big fan otherwise should be more than enough content with the base game and see if you like it. Otherwise bit of a gamble in the event that you dont enjoy the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The game looks neat, but I don't know anything about the story or world. It kind of looks a bit like a PSO2 sort of game. Will I enjoy it if I don't know the past games or anything?

Ryuukan

Id say only get it if you are a big fan otherwise should be more than enough content with the base game and see if you like it. Otherwise bit of a gamble in the event that you dont enjoy the game.

I guess its easier to decide since you get nothing extra if you buy the combo now rather than the launch + season pass later

deanote666

It looks like the $65 Vita version is cross buy with the PS4 version.

It shows the $65 vita version as 20.6GB, lol. Comes with the PS4 version, PS4 wedding dress, white/blue swimwear.

ryousuke

Am not sure on that actually. Did you leave the zone? Since I think the game might have a level range set when it respawns after zoning in and out again. Dont think enemies scale with you as when I run back through lower lv areas stuff is still generally the same

I went back to town and then returned to that monster a few times, it's level 13 or 14. As you said they must all have some kind of level range, normal monsters have that too after all.

Quick question, can't we give equipment to our AI party members ?

ys45

Totally forgot this was coming out this week , I saw the shipping notification yesterday night from amazon .

Another jrpg going to the backlog I guess, I still have Atelier Sophie and Grand kingdom to finish before this .

Ryuukan

It shows the $65 vita version as 20.6GB, lol. Comes with the PS4 version, PS4 wedding dress, white/blue swimwear.

you get the PS4 season pass too

thank you for the free crossbuy namco

Animekatt

I just got the game from GameStop this morning, and I have imported the Vita physical version. Would I be able to use the cross save feature when the copies come from different territories?

Parakeetman

I went back to town and then returned to that monster a few times, it's level 13 or 14. As you said they must all have some kind of level range, normal monsters have that too after all.

Quick question, can't we give equipment to our AI party members ?

Later on you will be able to gift them weapons though the AI seems to have their own weapons upgraded on their own as they increase in levels.

You need to get friendship to level 5 if you want to hand over like the maid outfit for example.

I think? from lv 4 you can give them weapons.

Though in terms of totally redoing their equipment yourself you are not able to do that.

I just got the game from GameStop this morning, and I have imported the Vita physical version. Would I be able to use the cross save feature when the copies come from different territories?

No idea on that as no one has tested it yet. Though usually save versions from a JP + US versions are not compatible. One of the main reasons being is that the chance for game versions being different.

Interesting..

So is this game leaps and bounds better than the other two?

I've owned HF for a while now. I attempted to start it, but the timing was off.

The AI is worse than Hollow Fragments. But if you like action RPGs vs the more "traditional" MMO feel that Hollow Fragment had, you should enjoy this game more. Though similar to Hollow Fragment the game does not really hold your hand through anything so a lot of stuff is trial by fire. Also this game makes use of a lot of different skills which are unlocked with skill points earned from leveling up your weapons. With that being said there will be a lot to read with looking through the skill trees seeing what you want from which tree then working on leveling a weapon. You can switch weapons at any time.

Lost Song was done by a different developer and not that great of a game to begin with (gameplay wise) outside of the flying mechanics. Hollow Fragment and Hollow Realization was done by the same developer so they do share a lot of similar features with each other. So fans of Hollow Fragment should feel at home with this game for the most part.

matmanx1

My copy is on the way from the Namco Bandai store (Collector's Edition). I'm currently neck deep in Xanadu Next so I won't be starting this one right away but I do remember really enjoying the game play of Hollow Fragment and am looking forward to seeing the differences this time around.

Got my collector's edition! It's smaller than I thought it would be haha! I think it's really cool that they put what number you got in the production line since it was really limited.

Parakeetman

Also if anyone finds reviews let me know. So far Ive only seen one in English from Playstation Lifestyle which has been added to the OP

NeOak

Still waiting for confirmation if the Vita version is cross buy to jump in before they change it.

NeOak

Yes it gave me both

the $65 bundle, the one that says 20GB size

Confirming this.

Doesn't show the Preorder DLC on my download list even though it is listed in the bundle though o.o

It does show the Season Pass costumes separate for both PS4 and PS3(lol)/Vita

2 questions
Is the leveling unbalanced like the first game where some characters are level 75 and character like kirito is level 100? disliked this in the first game because it made some characters useless unless you really want to spend time to grind because they are so under levelled for early quests in the game.

How is equipment in the game in the first game it felt like most of the weapons or armour you find are inferior to the default stuff. in this game do you start of with really strong equipment which was one of the things i disliked.

deanote666

OMG! Doing the initial character creation, you can switch between male and female Kirito with the same face! and you have to cycle through the male voices to get to the female ones. Let the jokes begin!

Parakeetman

2 questions
Is the leveling unbalanced like the first game where some characters are level 75 and character like kirito is level 100? disliked this in the first game because it made some characters useless unless you really want to spend time to grind because they are so under levelled for early quests in the game.

How is equipment in the game in the first game it felt like most of the weapons or armour you find are inferior to the default stuff. in this game do you start of with really strong equipment which was one of the things i disliked.

To answer both questions in the most simple way you start from lv 1 in this game.

Blazeddc

Are you sure it's not just the season pass? I purchased the deluxe edition for PS4 priced at $84.99 and it is only letting me download the season pass for the Vita version.

This has to be a mistake. What would be the point in offering a more expensive version with less content?

Parakeetman

playing through the tutorial

it has one, not sure what you jp guys meant saying it didn't have one

Its not much of a tutorial. Even a lot of JP players state that the game is unfriendly to new players due to how much is left unexplained. As the game is developed with the assumption players are familiar with general mmo mechanics and terms.

NeOak

Are you sure it's not just the season pass? I purchased the deluxe edition for PS4 priced at $84.99 and it is only letting me download the season pass for the Vita version.

This has to be a mistake. What would be the point in offering a more expensive version with less content?

Apparently the Season Pass is cross buy, same as the preorder DLC.

And you're right, it is a mistake. Cross buy wasn't intended at all for the main game. But I do have the main game for PS4 on my download list with just the $65 Vita bundle.

Ryuukan

Its not much of a tutorial. Even a lot of JP players state that the game is unfriendly to new players due to how much is left unexplained. As the game is developed with the assumption players are familiar with general mmo mechanics and terms.

lol it ended so abruptly

there's tons of background for people who don't know what SAO is at least

Blazeddc

Apparently the Season Pass is cross buy, same as the preorder DLC.

And you're right, it is a mistake. Cross buy wasn't intended at all for the main game. But I do have the main game for PS4 on my download list with just the $65 Vita bundle.

Ah, okay. I want to be upset but I feel that would be hypocritical on my part. I've taken advantage of similar glitches in the past. Oh well!

Edit #2: Glitch is still active as pointed out below.vv

NeOak

Ah, okay. I want to be upset but I feel that would be hypocritical on my part. I've taken advantage of similar glitches in the past. Oh well!

Edit: It's been fixed looks like it. File size now reads 2.9GB. Grats to those that were able to take advantage of it!

Regular seems to be fixed. Deluxe bundle still shows 20.6 GB as of this post.

anddo0

L

The AI is worse than Hollow Fragments. But if you like action RPGs vs the more "traditional" MMO feel that Hollow Fragment had, you should enjoy this game more. Though similar to Hollow Fragment the game does not really hold your hand through anything so a lot of stuff is trial by fire. Also this game makes use of a lot of different skills which are unlocked with skill points earned from leveling up your weapons. With that being said there will be a lot to read with looking through the skill trees seeing what you want from which tree then working on leveling a weapon. You can switch weapons at any time.

Lost Song was done by a different developer and not that great of a game to begin with (gameplay wise) outside of the flying mechanics. Hollow Fragment and Hollow Realization was done by the same developer so they do share a lot of similar features with each other. So fans of Hollow Fragment should feel at home with this game for the most part.

Thanks

That's very reassuring. I've been watching GadgetGirlKylie's coverage on the game, and it looked very much improved.

I'll get the PS4 version if anything.. unless someone can confirm the cross-buy glitch is still active.

NeOak

Thanks

That's very reassuring. I've been watching GadgetGirlKylie's coverage on the game, and it looked very much improved.

I'll get the PS4 version if anything.. unless someone can confirm the cross-buy glitch is still active.
Check the file size. Deluxe stills shows 20.6GB, so should still work.

Edit: No longer works.

Ryuukan

Confirming this.

Doesn't show the Preorder DLC on my download list even though it is listed in the bundle though o.o

It does show the Season Pass costumes separate for both PS4 and PS3(lol)/Vita

seems obvious that whoever made the vita deluxe bundle dragged in the PS4 deluxe bundle item instead of the vita launch dlc item

I'd contact support about getting the dlc but...will they take away my riches

Top Bottom