• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization |OT| - Just living in the Database Wow Wow

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
How did that 1HS dude kill the significantly higher leveled monster so much faster solo?

Also, are you not supposed to use a shield when going 1HS? Does the STR drop make it not worth it?

OSS damage plus hyper armor that is preventing any damage from being taken allowing the player to continue with the OSS uninterrupted. Where in that party vid you saw the other player constantly being interrupted during their OSS.

Depends on your playstyle really in regards to the shield. If you are really confident to not get hit then go without a shield. If you plan on getting hit or trying to focus on tanking then equip a shield as there are skills which only can be used when a shield is equipped.

Ryuukan

Need to take a break until we get patches

3rd raid boss fight went nowhere because all the AI chars are below musou level of activity

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Need to take a break until we get patches

3rd raid boss fight went nowhere because all the AI chars are below musou level of activity
I defeated that thing more or less alone on patch 1.01 or 1.02, it's very weak if your level is high enough.

Tohsaka

The fourth raid boss is a cakewalk compared to the third, I was surprised. I somehow missed the Last Attacker bonus twice though so I'm gonna just go back and solo it at some point.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The fourth raid boss is a cakewalk compared to the third, I was surprised. I somehow missed the Last Attacker bonus twice though so I'm gonna just go back and solo it at some point.
4 was definitely less annoying because it moved much less. That said, maybe I was overleveled, but it died from one longer combo iirc, so it was kind of a disappointment.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The 1.05 patch is out in Japan.

Shame on me for not actually properly reading what they wrote before, but just glancing a date and calling it a day (In my defense, I just woke from a nap!).
When I mentioned that 1.05 is planed to release in mid December, I was wrong - the line in the notes mentioned mid December, but in the context of the new additional dungeons being added to the game. They were originally supposed to come earlier, but were pushed to mid December, because the team was busy with 1.05. My bad!

Parakeetman

Has anything been said as to why the U.S or EU hasn't been patched yet?

Obvious answer is that it takes time and we have no idea what their schedule is like. If they have not said anything yet would imagine that means nothing to report to the public. Thats if they are even doing any sort of actual announcements to users...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When patch 1.04 hit, I cleared the first Sacrament Dungeon and didn't like it that much.
Yesterday, after downloading 1.05, I tried doing other 2. One of them required to run around a big doughnut shaped area and kill certain mobs to make the boss pop. It was tedious, but easy to get an S rank.
The other, in the forest location didn't seem to have any gimmick, but it was so dark, that I could barely see where I was going, the map was pretty much useless and I just turned off the console after bumping into one wall after another.

Definitely not a fan of these dungeons. Running around between bases to protect them (gives you points which go towards your rank) and making the boss show up in very dull environments isn't fun in the slightest. Better stock up on SPD potions and have some movement speed skills on you.

Here's the guide in Japanese showing the point requirements for each rank, rewards, maps etc.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've stopped reading the text and found myself enjoying the game significantly more. I'm ~40 hours in and have just been enjoying the grind.

I'm stuck at the moment...I can't activate the 2nd teleport in the 3rd world. I know I need to find those blue events, but I don't seem to have any. I'll just hop map to map and hope I missed one?

Also, I tried Celestial Blade (the dual wield EX) and don't get why people think it's amazing. 1H Sword seems to do more damage and has access to Hyper Armor via Attacker EX. 2H Sword has a ton of Super Armor abilities so you can, with enough regen, go for days. Am I missing something with dual wield?

ryousuke

I've stopped reading the text and found myself enjoying the game significantly more. I'm ~40 hours in and have just been enjoying the grind.

I'm stuck at the moment...I can't activate the 2nd teleport in the 3rd world. I know I need to find those blue events, but I don't seem to have any. I'll just hop map to map and hope I missed one?

Also, I tried Celestial Blade (the dual wield EX) and don't get why people think it's amazing. 1H Sword seems to do more damage and has access to Hyper Armor via Attacker EX. 2H Sword has a ton of Super Armor abilities so you can, with enough regen, go for days. Am I missing something with dual wield?

For the teleport thing, you need to go Turinble Road (north of the map) and use the teleport. To use it you need the Light or Dark Glyph, can't remember which one. Then you'll find another teleport, so use the other Glyph.

I use dual wielding just because I find it pretty fun to use. Honestly, I haven't been bothering with any of the game breaking stuff at all, up until getting Celestial Blade I didn't have a single EX Skill equipped or even learned lol. The game is already plenty easy without using any of the stuff like super armor and such. Sure, I've probably missed out on a lot of good equipment since I've only fought like 5 NMs the entire game, but the rest of the game would probably get too boring if I had if I'm already breezing through everything with the occasional struggle against a boss.

Parakeetman

Is the Vita version 'fixed' yet? I don't want to play a complete lag fest and I'm thinking of buying it tomorrow.

Its supposedly better than how it was initially, but dont think the Vita ver will ever be "fixed" just due to the hardware limitations of the system in general. Since they seem to have most def designed the game with the PS4 in mind first and Vita second. Would explain all the issues with the Vita's performance and such also.

Suppose it just depends on what one is expecting performance wise.

desmax

Hey, I recently got the game, and now I'm struck.

There was a big earthquake when I entered a dungeon, and it caused a cave-in, blocking the path. A npc said that he'll need ingredients to make a bomb, so that's what I'm looking for.

I found the first ingredients (On the previous area, there was a cursor on the map pointing to it), but I'm not sure where to find the second one; the only thing I got is the cursor on the area where the cave-in happened, and nothing else.

It's pretty early in the game

CEJames

Hey, I recently got the game, and now I'm struck.

There was a big earthquake when I entered a dungeon, and it caused a cave-in, blocking the path. A npc said that he'll need ingredients to make a bomb, so that's what I'm looking for.

I found the first ingredients (On the previous area, there was a cursor on the map pointing to it), but I'm not sure where to find the second one; the only thing I got is the cursor on the area where the cave-in happened, and nothing else.

It's pretty early in the game

If I remember correctly, you have to defeat a dragon for one of them items in Lakai Sheske Valley which would be the next area to the left(of the mini map)....I believe.

desmax

If I remember correctly, you have to defeat a dragon for one of them items in Lakai Sheske Valley which would be the next area to the left(of the mini map)....I believe.

Well, it wasn't on the lake, but I had a fight a dragon.
So I'm guessing Blue Marked "Hollow Missions" (Or whatever they're called here) are story-related?

CEJames

Well, it wasn't on the lake, but I had a fight a dragon.
So I'm guessing Blue Marked "Hollow Missions" (Or whatever they're called here) are story-related?

Yes, that's correct. Blue Marked ones are always story ones. I knew I had the location wrong but I remember it was a dragon you needed to fight.

Jeffrey

picked up during the recent BB sale. Any literature I should read up before starting? i assume the game is about as obtuse as HF was.

Parakeetman

Trailer for the JP version free content update “Fighters of the Blue Sky.”

Bandai Namco has released a trailer for Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization‘s soon to be released free major update, “Fighters of the Blue Sky.”

As previously detailed, the update includes Sword Art Online: Lost Song characters Rain and Seven, the introduction of the new “PvP” feature, and 20 hours of additional story (70 hours including all the side elements).
*Credits to Gematsu

No idea when this will be out for the West. So you folks who have the localized version are better off bugging the shit out of BanNam about it via Twitter or something lol

Audioboxer

I've still not completed Hollow Fragment despite owning it for ages lol. I don't own Lost Song.

Is it worth bothering with either or is Realization superior in every way? Might pick it up for playing through in January.

Parakeetman

I've still not completed Hollow Fragment despite owning it for ages lol. I don't own Lost Song.

Is it worth bothering with either or is Realization superior in every way? Might pick it up for playing through in January.

If you dont care about story connectivity, feel free to grab Realization. Since you have already played some of Hollow Fragment you should be able to adjust fairly quickly as a lot of similar mechanics are used. Though you will not have access to the same type of skill palettes that Hollow Fragment used as they went and over simplified things a bit too much unfortunately.

Still its worth checking out if you did enjoy what you played with Hollow Fragment.

Lost Song is done by a different dev so the gameplay and design are totally different than Hollow Fragment and Hollow Realization. Story is what you would expect from a SAO plot though.

Audioboxer

If you dont care about story connectivity, feel free to grab Realization. Since you have already played some of Hollow Fragment you should be able to adjust fairly quickly as a lot of similar mechanics are used. Though you will not have access to the same type of skill palettes that Hollow Fragment used as they went and over simplified things a bit too much unfortunately.

Still its worth checking out if you did enjoy what you played with Hollow Fragment.

Lost Song is done by a different dev so the gameplay and design are totally different than Hollow Fragment and Hollow Realization. Story is what you would expect from a SAO plot though.

It's been a while since I booted it up anyway. The awful framerate even on PS4 made it rough playing.

As for SAO I am one of those who loved the first season, and was totally meh on the second. I heard flying is fun in the game even if you weren't so keen on it in the anime. Some going as far to say it's the best SAO game!

Parakeetman

It's been a while since I booted it up anyway. The awful framerate even on PS4 made it rough playing.

As for SAO I am one of those who loved the first season, and was totally meh on the second. I heard flying is fun in the game even if you weren't so keen on it in the anime. Some going as far to say it's the best SAO game!

The flying part is well done due to the devs Artdink having a long history with the Macross IP here in Japan and are quite adept at that. Plus taking advantage of less powerful hardware to make some decent flight mechanics and enviros. Though Lost Song has a bunch of issues with how progress with your skills and combat in general is involved. On top of some abysmal dungeon designs. Artdink was never really adept at doing melee combat, the team that does the Macross / Gundam stuff anyways. As most of the combat involves ranged attacks over melee. Which does exist also but its not their main focus. Not sure if any of their Macross stuff made it to the West so that might be another reason why the experience seems so fresh to a lot of players.

Enemy variation is quite limited and the world itself feels very empty. I think a lot of this is due to them not having as much time to spend on the project as they wanted. Since for example their other PS3 title Macross 30 had like friendly and hostile NPCs that existed in the game zones. Among other things.

But can see why some fans would enjoy it over Hollow Fragment as its far more straightforward gameplay wise and less effort to learn all of the mechanics to be able to enjoy the game. Plus once again the feeling of flight is really well done.

In short I suppose its a situation of Core vs Casual gamers. Core tend to stick with Hollow Fragment while the more Casual crowd enjoyed Lost Song.

Audioboxer

The flying part is well done due to the devs Artdink having a long history with the Macross IP here in Japan and are quite adept at that. Plus taking advantage of less powerful hardware to make some decent flight mechanics and enviros. Though Lost Song has a bunch of issues with how progress with your skills and combat in general is involved. On top of some abysmal dungeon designs. Artdink was never really adept at doing melee combat, the team that does the Macross / Gundam stuff anyways. As most of the combat involves ranged attacks over melee. Which does exist also but its not their main focus. Not sure if any of their Macross stuff made it to the West so that might be another reason why the experience seems so fresh to a lot of players.

Enemy variation is quite limited and the world itself feels very empty. I think a lot of this is due to them not having as much time to spend on the project as they wanted. Since for example their other PS3 title Macross 30 had like friendly and hostile NPCs that existed in the game zones. Among other things.

But can see why some fans would enjoy it over Hollow Fragment as its far more straightforward gameplay wise and less effort to learn all of the mechanics to be able to enjoy the game. Plus once again the feeling of flight is really well done.

In short I suppose its a situation of Core vs Casual gamers. Core tend to stick with Hollow Fragment while the more Casual crowd enjoyed Lost Song.

Thanks for the write up. Considering the length of the games I might try revisiting hollow fragment first, but if the jank turns me off again just jump to Realization. I have seen in reviews so far they are saying it's the best performing. Plus I think it actually has Pro enchantments and I have a Pro.

Ryuukan

Patch notes

C0Psz3wWQAAc1BE.jpg

Parakeetman

Thanks for the write up. Considering the length of the games I might try revisiting hollow fragment first, but if the jank turns me off again just jump to Realization. I have seen in reviews so far they are saying it's the best performing. Plus I think it actually has Pro enchantments and I have a Pro.

Yeah the problem with HF and why it seems so much more jank is due to it having been made with the Vita as the leading platform, so what usually happens to games that have a framerate increase that were not designed for it causes all sorts of oddities with animations and an off feeling of things being too fast.

Its why examples exist on the net of hilarious things going on with PC games for example when framerates get unlocked and the game starts to do all sorts of weird things.

Plus half of the HF content was taken from the original PSP game Infinity Moment, which is why half of the main content looks so "dated" vs the Hollow Area which was designed with the Vita specs. The Aincrad content is the PSP (Infinity Moment) content.

Hollow Realization runs perfectly fine on the PS4 / Pro. Its the Vita ver that has all the issues unfortunately. Since it seems that this time around the PS4 was the main platform for development and the Vita is just showing its age hardware wise and cant keep up. Since the devs are fairly adept with handheld development also and did a good job with Hollow Fragment so its not as if they didnt try. The latest patches made the Vita version better than it was initially at launch but people still seem to be unhappy with performance.

Hollow Realization ties a lot more into Hollow Fragment than Lost Song anyways. Lost Song gets some mention through dialog only where Hollow Fragment characters and story events from there will carry on into Hollow Realization with events and conversations. Though the large free content update which will be released eventually will contain Rain and Seven from Lost Song. No idea if it will bring more narrative related content from Lost Song into the world of Hollow Realization though.

Patch notes

Good stuff. Should help those with the localized version know whats in the patch. Thanks for that.

JPS Kai

I've been debating on getting the Vita version for some time but I might hop on board now that it's been patched.

There's a reviewer selling his Vita code for $20, so that's probably the cheapest I'll be able to get it for some time.

NeOak

I've been debating on getting the Vita version for some time but I might hop on board now that it's been patched.

There's a reviewer selling his Vita code for $20, so that's probably the cheapest I'll be able to get it for some time.

Might as well, had you jumped on the launch bundle that had the mistake during the first few hours, you could have scored the Vita and PS4 versions as well as the season pass for $64.99

It didn't give the maid and nightgown outfits, but sending an email to Bamco fixed that.

Einhandr

A friend and I have been looking for a good coop game to tied us over for a few months and I suggested looking into this. I know enough about how the game works and the gameplay basics, but the question is: how much of this games content can be play in multiplayer and how does that progress/progression translate over into your single player save?

Parakeetman

A friend and I have been looking for a good coop game to tied us over for a few months and I suggested looking into this. I know enough about how the game works and the gameplay basics, but the question is: how much of this games content can be play in multiplayer and how does that progress/progression translate over into your single player save?

You dont actually progress the story content in mp. How it works is content, areas unlocked in SP can be played in MP. So whoever the host is sets that up.

Exp and items earned stay with your save.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Just started playing this. Bought it despite the dating sim look it seems to have. So far the rpg systems seem really cool and as long as the environments are fun to explore I cant see myself not enjoying this.

General thoughts among gaffers on the game? will look through thread a bit also.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
It seems this thread and game in general has no excitement around it or any place to get good information.

I have so many questions about what each stat does, if I can upgrade my parties gear, do the npc quests ever give you anything good, does the extra skill/compliment system matter much?

Loving this game so much and no place to talk about it lol

hotsoup

Stats - They are mainly just modifiers for sword skills. STR and VIT used to affect ATK and DEF/HP respectively but after the latest patch, not so much.

Party members' gear - Affection level 4 to give them weapons, affection level 5 to give them armor

NPC quest - No significant rewards

EX skill - Gives you more options for battle, think of each EX skill as a class/job in a MMO

Compliment system - Improves the AI

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Stats - They are mainly just modifiers for sword skills. STR and VIT used to affect ATK and DEF/HP respectively but after the latest patch, not so much.

Party members' gear - Affection level 4 to give them weapons, affection level 5 to give them armor

NPC quest - No significant rewards

EX skill - Gives you more options for battle, think of each EX skill as a class/job in a MMO

Compliment system - Improves the AI

Thanks for the help. Stats like agility or mobility? do they effect actual move speed? SPD?

Top Bottom