• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online II |OT| Two Years Worth of Anticipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
I do think Log Horizon is better. But that doesn't change that I love SAO. Can't wait for Log season 2. Hopefully it's also 2 cour. Fall is gonna be insane. Log Horizon, more Mushishi, Fate, etc.

Not much. There's some stuff in the beginning, but then there's no real direct contact between the two again until the end.

Oh, I should mention that that's only referring to the 3rd arc. If we get Mother's Rosario [spoilers for Mother's Rosario obviously],
it's basically the Asuna show, but then Kirito's mostly absent.

Well I was never into the romance in this so I guess I'm cool with that. But I still find it strange how they were this intense couple early in Season 1 but then they had this side romance plot with his cousin that took up most of the 2nd half. And even after he rescues Asuna their relationship was kind of presented strange as the end shifted to him with the cousin again.

For a main pair, their story was presented so weird. So hearing that this season has them barely together is even stranger to me. But as long as the plot is stupid fun I'm down.

Well I was never into the romance in this so I guess I'm cool with that. But I still find it strange how they were this intense couple early in Season 1 but then they had this side romance plot with his cousin that took up most of the 2nd half. And even after he rescues Asuna their relationship was kind of presented strange as the end shifted to him with the cousin again.

For a main pair, their story was presented so weird. So hearing that this season has them barely together is even stranger to me. But as long as the plot is stupid fun I'm down.

Personally I like how their relationship is from the 3rd arc onward. It's a far cry from romances where it's like HOLY SHIT THE COUPLE IS WITH EACH OTHER EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY. They just both know how they feel and even if they're apart for awhile, it's okay. It's worth mentioning that in Mother's Rosario, it's not that they're "barely together". It's that the plot is focused on Asuna. It's apparent and obvious they're together quite often "off screen" but because Kirito isn't a main character in the plot, we don't see them being together. There's even stuff with Asuna's mother disapproving of Kirito in the real world and Asuna having to fight to keep her relationship with him.

Jarlaxle

I enjoyed the first arc of the first season (for what it was) and not so much the second arc.

Debating on whether or not to watch season 2 but it's probably not a debate I'll win. I'm sure I'll sit down and watch this at some point for better or worse.

If only they could make a season 2 of High School of the Dead. Now that, I would be down for.

Mononoke

Banned
Personally I like how their relationship is from the 3rd arc onward. It's a far cry from romances where it's like HOLY SHIT THE COUPLE IS WITH EACH OTHER EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY. They just both know how they feel and even if they're apart for awhile, it's okay. It's worth mentioning that in Mother's Rosario, it's not that they're "barely together". It's that the plot is focused on Asuna. It's apparent and obvious they're together quite often "off screen" but because Kirito isn't a main character in the plot, we don't see them being together. There's even stuff with Asuna's mother disapproving of Kirito in the real world and Asuna having to fight to keep her relationship with him.

Thanks for that. I now see where the plot is coming from, and I like that. I think I was just left kind of weird with how it ended in the first season (the second half). But that sounds fine. I actually think I would prefer that. Appreciate you taking the time to write that out for me. :D

Ri'Orius

I binge-watched the first season on a whim on Netflix a while ago. I really enjoyed the first half, but the second half was pretty bad. I'll give this a shot for a few episodes at least...

Thanks for that. I now see where the plot is coming from, and I like that. I think I was just left kind of weird with how it ended in the first season (the second half). But that sounds fine. I actually think I would prefer that. Appreciate you taking the time to write that out for me. :D

Any time. No, seriously, any time. It'll be good to actually discuss the series instead of... well, you know.

I've decided to drown myself in SAO. I am going to watch the first season, play the vita game, and follow the second season in this thread. I just have to know... what horrors did firehawk12 see before writing this? Its like when someone tells you not to google something but you do it anyway

firehawk12 said:
Sword Art Online. This is the worst show ever to have been produced by a culture. Take the solipsism of The Newsroom, the depravity of K-Town or any other reality show of that ilk, and the sad humanity exhibited exhibited in shows like Honey Boo Boo and you'd STILL get a show that is morally, ethically, and spiritually more justifiable than Sword Art Online. The bar has been set so low that I can even see merit in a show like OniAi. Fuck you SAO... just fuck you.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I want my Accel World :(

Still, eh, let's do this. It's been a while since I've enjoyed some honest hatewatch.

Nikodemos

I've decided to drown myself in SAO. I am going to watch the first season, play the vita game, and follow the second season in this thread. I just have to know... what horrors did firehawk12 see before writing this? Its like when someone tells you not to google something but you do it anyway
He may be slightly overreacting for shock value.

Arthos

Love the OP!

Guess I have to finish off the first season. I've been told to skip the second half. Does this continue after that or... ? I don't how either of the two halves end. ;___;

Narag

that suguha port

RLQbglD.png

this is truely an amazing op fitting of Maestro Kawahara's masterpiece work. cant wait to
hate
watch it this weekend at anime expo.

GLORY

SAO is one of the greatest anime's ever conceived by human beings. Its like a subtle deconstruction of how to make a bad anime in almost every department.

My most anticipated anime of the summer by far because I'm curious it how bad it can get.

Collete

OP of the year!

I'll probably watch it with a friend just to learn how not to write a story.

That said it'll probably be entertaining even if it is bad

Mononoke

Banned
Any time. No, seriously, any time. It'll be good to actually discuss the series instead of... well, you know.

I know how you feel. I actually don't love the series, but I enjoyed aspects of it. It's an easy show to make fun of because I. It's really popular and II. It had some major writing missteps that were pretty awful. III. It has little quirks that are just bad.

But I mean, while I know it's easy to make fun of it, I would personally rather just discuss it (if I'm going to bother to keep watching it).

One thing I don't understand in the OP is why its insinuated the author has problems for creating Suguha. Its okay, they aren't related by blood right?

i think the biggest problem i've have with this show vs no game no life or log horizon or heck even mahouka, aka shows with jesus protags, is that for all his gamer skillz, when was the last time kirito ever put those skillz to taking down the baddie vs completely random mcguffins and plot armor?

i think the biggest problem i've have with this show vs no game no life or log horizon or heck even mahouka, aka shows with jesus protags, is that for all his gamer skillz, when was the last time kirito ever put those skillz to taking down the baddie vs completely random mcguffins and plot armor?

ugh, the last arc of mahouka has been such a drag because they've basically made the entire main cast jesus. it's like, they can't even lose anymore.

plot armor and convenient strength inconsistencies are lazy ways to write, but it's at least more believable than a cast with virtually no shortcomings.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You should see my review of episode 24 or whatever it was. :p

You're watching this, right?
If you really want to go through with it I'm up for it. Of course time zone differences may be a hurdle. If it does happen I'll make sure to add it to the OP.
For the sake of doing a genuine (???) recap podcast, sure. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom