• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SXSW cancels a panel on "Overcoming Harassment in Games" due to threats of violence

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's always delightful when the opposition prove your point for you inadvertently.

Particularly when internet anonymity allows completely fictional people to play the part of the opposition, even if they're not in any way opposed, perhaps even if they're entirely for. ;)

Seriously, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around anybody being so strongly against a panel to discuss online harassment to the point of making threats. That strikes me as insanity.

Seems to me the problem isn't online harassment it is that the world has more than enough crazy people to go around regardless of what you want to have a panel on. But better mental health care never seems to make the agenda in the US, instead the focus falls upon whatever crazy people use to do crazy things instead of the crazy people themselves.

It seems to me they lick there thumb and check which way the wind is blowing before making a announcement. If there was a legitimate threat I hope they have the authorities involved.

Diablos

So many years growing up I'd get livid over people stereotyping gamers as violent and unstable.

...and then shit like this happens. Way to try and legitimize the stereotype, assholes. This is just like when Anita Sarkeesian had to cancel her appearance at that Utah school. If you don't like what someone has to say, don't fucking go to the speech, don't have anything to do with it whatsoever. Peacefully protest. No one is forcing you to go, or to agree, and your stance will not change anything in the long term. In fact it just makes me a wee bit more embarrassed to be a "gamer", even if it's slight.

BTA

My favorite part of the gaming doctrine mess is that apparently being shitty to someone about their apparent skill at gaming is ok, but anything else isn't, despite this apparently being to... protect... gamers from discrimination... or something?

In a court of law some portions of the doctrine may be used against gamers who have not adhered to the
doctrine or the five tenets. Gamers who have engaged in violent activity, levied death threats against individuals,
or who have been proven as harassers shall not be protected by the document and shall face full punishment
under the law of their country of residence. The doctrine may be used in the court hearings as evidence of the
gamer’s crimes.

This is the most nonsense article I've ever read. Court of law? Like actual Court? Why do you think a Court would care about your stupid doctrine? Or are they talking about their stupid gaming court? In which case ITS NOT A COURT OF LAW! Its a group of people playing make believe!

And face punishment under the law of the accused's country of residence? How on earth do they think thats enforceable? Or do they think their made up court has more jurisdictional reach than literally any other Court on earth?

When I first read the doctrine, I thought this was some law student who just started constitutional law thinking he's smarter than he actually is. But no, no law student with such poor understanding would make it through first year. This is just the work of idiots.

Krabboss

My favorite part of the gaming doctrine mess is that apparently being shitty to someone about their apparent skill at gaming is ok, but anything else isn't, despite this apparently being to... protect... gamers from discrimination... or something?

There's been some interesting anecdotes from the community of Dota 2 about how matches have improved considerably when an abusive player's ability to communicate is revoked. I'm talking about the muted player's perspective here, noticing that they're the reason everybody in their matches is upset and unable to work as a team.

This is the most nonsense article I've ever read. Court of law? Like actual Court? Why do you think a Court would care about your stupid doctrine? Or are they talking about their stupid gaming court? In which case ITS NOT A COURT OF LAW! Its a group of people playing make believe!

And face punishment under the law of the accused's country of residence? How on earth do they think thats enforceable? Or do they think their made up court has more jurisdictional reach than literally any other Court on earth?

When I first read the doctrine, I thought this was some law student who just started constitutional law thinking he's smarter than he actually is. But no, no law student with such poor understanding would make it through first year. This is just the work of idiots.

"Why should I accept this as evidence?"
"They broke gamer law."
"You do realize that I'm an actual judge and this is an actual court?"
"What makes your court any different than ours?"
"It's based on actual laws."
"And what makes those laws more legit than ours?"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
but guys/gals - they're super seriuz gamers , some even "have accolades" saying just how well they know the gamings...

... but they STILL need to use game reviews from websites?

I don't know what the Open Gaming people are doing with their cheesy manifestos and goofy moon court documents. And I don't particularly care to. But if they'd stay busy conjuring those up instead of doing other things, that'd be cool.
That's good to hear. Hopefully communication will continue and SXSW will learn how to deal with these situations in the future, before they get to this point.
One prospective speaker on a separate panel who has been harassed and stalked by GamerGate notified SXSW organizers that she feels unsafe in light of the panel’s approval and received the following response, which she called “patronizing.”

Hi [name redacted],
We appreciate your thoughts and always welcome feedback from our community. That said, SXSW is a big tent and we strongly believe in showcasing a very diverse range of ideas and opinions, even if we as a staff don't always agree with them. If everyone shared the same viewpoint, that would make for a pretty boring event.

Cheers,
-andrew

“It raises the question, what is a debate?” she said. “It’s good to include all voices, but what if one of the voices is extremely antagonistic? Then it becomes, this is not an open debate, you aren't creating an inclusive space.”
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/sxsw-has-approved-a-gamergate-panel
Telling a panelist worried about harassment and her safety, that the event would be boring without the voice of a panel moderated by this guy, and set up by the group that's harassed and stalked her and swatted her mom in the past, is fucked up.
SXSW explained to us that they are a very neutral organization and wanted to provide a platform for both sides to speak on and have their voices heard. “We wanted to do something interesting that hadn’t really been done before” one SXSW official said in our phone conversation earlier today.
http://www.theopengamingsociety.org/savepoint-dear-community/
The Level Up panel was about design in software that could help subdue online harassment. Equivocating and positioning these two panels as two sides of a healthy, "interesting" debate, is just completely absurd.

There's something fundamentally wrong with how the people responsible for managing SXSW approached this situation, throughout its duration.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...d-gamergate-abuse-into-a-spectator-sport.html

Bert

And what you're describing is terrorism. Striking fear, making threats, nobody really knowing if they're real or not.

Nah. There has to be the possibility it will happen. Otherwise it's just threats. It's the random acts of violence that cause the terror not the threats.

(I have no idea about this specifically I've purposefully stayed well away from the whole GG thing)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, but what?
If this is what prolonged exposure to Ace Attorney does to people, I think I'll have to reconsider its position as one of my favorite series.

On the other hand, by doing this GG supporters have less time to keep harassing people, so good for them I guess.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"Why should I accept this as evidence?"
"They broke gamer law."
"You do realize that I'm an actual judge and this is an actual court?"
"What makes your court any different than ours?"
"It's based on actual laws."
"And what makes those laws more legit than ours?"

"Your "honor", please do not forget the fact that I beat Dark Souls 4 times!"
"I...wha..."
"FOUR TIMES! How often did you beat Dark Souls your "honor"?"
"What?"
"I thought so. Lock him up, Louie"

Nah. There has to be the possibility it will happen.

That's why it's called a threat.

Otherwise it's just threats. It's the random acts of violence that cause the terror not the threats.

Um, no.

When you give in to these threats, that's terrorism working.

(I have no idea about this specifically I've purposefully stayed well away from the whole GG thing)

Then why do you think you are qualified to talk about the subject?

SWATTING
Tying up a suicide prevention hotline

While it is true that the instances of GG doing something real are few and far between, brushing it off as merely internet lol is incredibly stupid.

BTA

There's been some interesting anecdotes from the community of Dota 2 about how matches have improved considerably when an abusive player's ability to communicate is revoked. I'm talking about the muted player's perspective here, noticing that they're the reason everybody in their matches is upset and unable to work as a team.

I'm not sure what your response was directed at here- I definitely agree with that, and am happy that online games have started implementing systems like this.

I just meant that in their weird doctrine they state it's not ok to discriminate/attack someone based on their race/gender/sexuality/etc. (though, of course, they do this anyway and are just going through the motions here), but then specifically take time to mention that it's totally fine to attack someone based on their perceived gaming skill. This is despite the entire point of what they wrote being protecting gamers from some perceived "discrimination". You'd think keeping them from being attacked over "skill" would be part of that? But apparently not.

DocSeuss

On one hand, I don't think such a bilious, hateful person like Randi Harper should ever have a platform, but there's never, ever an excuse for threats of violence either.

Primus

SXSW explained to us that they are a very neutral organization and wanted to provide a platform for both sides to speak on and have their voices heard. “We wanted to do something interesting that hadn’t really been done before” one SXSW official said in our phone conversation earlier today.
http://www.theopengamingsociety.org/...ear-community/

"very neutral"

Personally, I'm Ultra Mega Neutral, but I've got some friends who are Absolutely, Positively Neutral. They're not as neutral as me, of course.

smh

I really don't know what to say. I've been catching up on this shit and still can't believe we have orgs like SXSW even humoring Goobergrapes in the first place. Does no one get the fucking memo about them?

They think gamers should be a protected class!

They would rather have every single game journalist live in complete, indefinite isolation lest they start fraternizing with other fellow journos on twitter and *gasp!* collude!

They actually attempted to codify the difference between hardcore gamers and casual gamers in their little kangaroo court law book!

Why do you want to give them a platform?

Particularly when internet anonymity allows completely fictional people to play the part of the opposition, even if they're not in any way opposed, perhaps even if they're entirely for. ;)

Am I reading this incorrectly or are you saying the anti-harassment people made the threats against themselves in order to validate their argument?

Am I reading this incorrectly or are you saying the anti-harassment people made the threats against themselves in order to validate their argument?

I think he's referring to the manifesto of the "Open Gaming Society" where they claim they're against harrasment yet they put a counter-panel to the anti-harrasment measures one.

Zaph

btl6Wor.gif

http://kotaku.com/festival-south-by-southwest-has-reinstated-the-two-canc-1739632255
Festival South By Southwest has reinstated the two cancelled gaming panels, and announced an all-day seminar. One panel was about harassment; the other, GamerGate-leaning panel focused on ethics and politics. Both return, though SXSW will work with them to “to develop the most productive focus for their appearances.”

ElNarez

Banned
The summit will include Randi Harper, Katherine Cross and Caroline Sinders from “Level Up: Overcoming Harassment in Games,” as well as Perry Jones, Mercedes Carrera, and Lynn Walsh from “SavePoint: A Discussion on the Gaming Community.” We are working with both groups to develop the most productive focus for their appearances.

They're still gonna give those chuckleheads a platform when A) They're spokepersons for a harassment movement and B) Their panel had nothing to do with internet harassment.

Ya blew it, SXSW.

There's a lot of positive things here. There's also one major problem: they've put the Gamergate panel as part of the anti-harassment event.

This makes about as much sense as an event dedicated to cancer prevention giving a panel to Big Tobacco to hawk their products.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
They're still gonna give those chuckleheads a platform when A) They're spokepersons for a harassment movement and B) Their panel had nothing to do with internet harassment.

Ya blew it, SXSW.

There's a lot of positive things here. There's also one major problem: they've put the Gamergate panel as part of the anti-harassment event.

This makes about as much sense as an event dedicated to cancer prevention giving a panel to Big Tobacco to hawk their products.

Giving the Gamergate group an equal panel just fosters the whole "two sides" narrative. Ugh.

I actually think this might end up working out better for Randi and co - giving the GG folks a giant public (and a much bigger and different group of observers) forum to stick their foot in their mouths and look completely incompetent might actually be the thing that actually ends this entire insanity. I'm not worried about GG "convincing anyone" at this point - their argument is bullshit and insane and will crumble at actual public scrutiny.

Remember that Big Tobacco ended up doing the most damage to themselves when they were dragged in front of Congress and had to try to defend themselves in public, and everyone got to see in glorious spectacle how completely messed up it was.

Lime

Zaph

I actually think this might end up working out better for Randi and co - giving the GG folks a giant public (and a much bigger and different group of observers) forum to stick their foot in their mouths and look completely incompetent might actually be the thing that actually ends this entire insanity. I'm not worried about GG "convincing anyone" at this point - their argument is bullshit and insane and will crumble at actual public scrutiny.

My thoughts exactly. Let them have their panel, and face public questioning and scrutiny. Hell, they might even bump into (and who knows, maybe even emphasize with?) some of the victims who've had their life turned upside down by people who are absolutely, completely, 100% unrelated to gg...

Top Bottom