• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Symbol for hate groups': Couple told to remove Betsy Ross flag from soccer game

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Fascinating ignorance of history.

A couple in Utah waving the 13-starred Betsy Ross flag at a Real Salt Lake soccer game was told to stash their American banner or risk ejection from the game by stadium personnel.
Randolf and Diana Scott consider themselves to be superfans of the Major League Soccer team in Salt Lake City and suggested that the flag was just a part of their normal expression of fandom in the stadium. "Soccer is just a big part of our life," Diana said of their head-to-toe Real attire.
The couple said that the American flag has long been a part of their expression when attending soccer games but that the Betsy Ross flag was indeed a new addition. "Diana bought it for me actually, because my other flag was kind of old and falling apart."
The flag, which was designed by Betsy Ross at the start of the American Revolution in 1776, represents the original 13 colonies in a circular pattern along with the 13 bars and stripes still represented on the flag today. The vintage design has recently been the subject of controversy as some outlets have asserted that it is associated with hate groups. Nike recently halted production of sneakers that were intended to don an image of the flag.
"They kept telling us if he wasn’t going to take it down, we were going to be rejected from the game," Diana Scott said of the couples attempt to wave the flag at a Real Salt Lake game. Stadium officials claimed the flag was a "symbol for hate groups."
"He asked me — he's like, 'So what’s the purpose of the flag?'" Randolf said of the stadium official's confrontation. "I was like, 'Well 'cause, we love America' ... When people see me or Diana with this flag, I hope they can understand that it’s about the freedoms we have here in America. The legacy that America has."
A statement from Real Chief Business Officer Andy Carroll implied that the flag represented values that were inconsistent with the soccer team's. "Recently, and very controversially as well as surprising to us, the Colonial flag has been adopted as a symbol for hate groups," Carroll said. "Any controversial flags or other similar banners or signs with symbols of hatred, divisiveness and/or intolerance whether intentional or otherwise will not be permitted in our stadiums. Period."

---

'Symbol for hate groups' has lost all meaning.

CDiggity

Jan 3, 2014
I'm pretty sure "used by hate groups" meant "used by people who were reacting to Colin Kaepernick's protest of the Betsy Ross flag on Nike sneakers back in July, some of whom are part of hate groups".

It's like the whole white power OK sign nonsense where a new meaning weasels its way in somewhere, therefore you should assume that anyone (white) who does it clearly did it with that intention and none of the other historical definitions.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
have any of these assholes ever cracked open a history book?

ffs when i was growing up Betsy Ross was seen as an American hero. let me guess nowadays people would call her a "Fucking TERF Bitch".

• LOL
Reactions: brap

Sleepydays

Sep 12, 2017
I wouldn't normally condone it, but they should sue the fuck out of them if it's at all possible.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
But I am sure the ISIS flag would of been fine. They probably give them out.

Mar 18, 2018
have any of these assholes ever cracked open a history book?

ffs when i was growing up Betsy Ross was seen as an American hero. let me guess nowadays people would call her a "Fucking TERF Bitch".
College history teachers today only teach the positive history of Marxist societies it seems.

Read that as: history smistory nana nana boo boo I’ll fuck your kids over because of my shit life choice to be a liberal arts teacher perpetually embraced by achademia

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
Imagine if the only thing they taught their kids in India or South Korea is about how evil and hateful their country is and how it all goes back to its founding.

Our leaders want this country to die.

Barnabot

Oct 16, 2018
So I've read the OP and article itself and I've found people telling the motives on why they should keep the flag and not a single one telling on why they wanted to remove that flag other than that it was supposedly a"symbol for hate groups."

Sound like pretty stupid motive pulled from their own asses. Is the reason they wanted the flag removed was based on the flag somehow being represented as symbol of colonization and "colonization is bad" and in their warped minds the flag represents evil because of that?

I'm trying to rationalize the stupidity on this subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cravis

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
So I've read the OP and article itself and I've found people telling the motives on why they should keep the flag and not a single one telling on why they wanted to remove that flag other than that it was supposedly a"symbol for hate groups."

Sound like pretty stupid motive pulled from their own asses. Is the reason they wanted the flag removed was based on the flag somehow being represented as symbol of colonization and "colonization is bad" and in their warped minds the flag represents evil because of that?

Even if it were that, and I think you are giving them way too much credit here, not a single one would give on their land or homes as a sign of genuine virtue.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Barnabot

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

You cant rationalize the stupidity. Its just about erasing history and protecting safe spaces from reality. The people in the 13 colonies owned slaves so we have to erase them because a person today who has 0 connection to slavery, or suffered from slavery might get triggered.

Meanwhile no one seems to care that Mohammad owned slaves and called Ethopians raisin heads , but no one would dare call the Quran a symbol of hate or demand that it be banned or Mohammad be banned.

CurryPanda

Formerly 'CyberPanda' formerly ‘CurryPanda’
Mar 4, 2019
You cant rationalize the stupidity. Its just about erasing history and protecting safe spaces from reality. The people in the 13 colonies owned slaves so we have to erase them because a person today who has 0 connection to slavery, or suffered from slavery might get triggered.

Meanwhile no one seems to care that Mohammad owned slaves and called Ethopians raisin heads , but no one would dare call the Quran a symbol of hate or demand that it be banned or Mohammad be banned.
Slavery existed everywhere. Even the Ottoman Empire had European slaves.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
People who hate their own country make me feel physically ill.
they don't though, is the thing. they do whatever is convenient at the time. when it comes time to defend the constitution against Trump, they are the most nationalist people ever. they fetishize power just as much as anyone. look at The West Wing. look at Hamilton. look at Hollywood.

the ironic thing is, they love Hamilton, which is nothing but glamorizing the same slave owners, and ignoring the actual slaves of the time, including many who fought against the British for American independence. there were black people who were valuable members of the battle for independence and made contributions to a society that was more or less far better than anywhere else at the time (historical context is important). yet Hamilton has nothing about these actual historical contributions to America from black people. it's basically a modern minstrel show, the white status quo of the greatness of the Founder Fathers dressed in the blackface of nerd rap. but it gets a pass, you can sell any old shit these days as long as you know how to market it.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Oct 16, 2018
Even if it were that, and I think you are giving them way too much credit here, not a single one would give on their land or homes as a sign of genuine virtue.

So if that's the game then:

England is the first country to create a football(soccer) association and made the sport so popular.
England colonized other nations in the past.
The same people who hate the Betsy Ross flag they should also hate soccer because of England and colonization and because of feelings.

Therefore:
CANCEL SOCCER. "pie_tears_joy:

(This game is so easy)

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Hey if it's that easy every extreme group out there should start using every symbol out there we hold dear. The statue of liberty, the liberty bell, the Lombardi Trophy, Lord Stanley's Cup, Apple's logo.

And watch so many pussy bitch people and companies scramble to change their logo because it's "now associated with hate groups."

And then the hate groups should start using those new altered logos as their new logos.... and watch the companies change it again.

And on and on and on. If it's that easy to just "claim" a symbol you don't own while bitches bow down and scurry off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teletraan1

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Slavery existed everywhere. Even the Ottoman Empire had European slaves.
And still exists.

We literally fought a war to stop it, which is pretty bad ass. Hundreds of thousands lost their lives from the Union side. Far more injured. It's estimated 2.5% of the US population died in whole, which would be like 7 million people today,

England paid slave owners for their property to end slavery. Arguably a far better solution in that it would save so many lives and settle the property dispute, but can you imagine the reeeeees if we paid slave owners off? Britain paid so much to slave owners they didn't finish paying off the debt til 2015.

People in America should be celebrating how well we did in regards to ending slavery, not chastizing our ancestors. But i hardly expect the left to even open a history book at this point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
And still exists.

We literally fought a war to stop it, which is pretty bad ass. Hundreds of thousands lost their lives from the Union side. Far more injured. It's estimated 2.5% of the US population died in whole, which would be like 7 million people today,

England paid slave owners for their property to end slavery. Arguably a far better solution in that it would save so many lives and settle the property dispute, but can you imagine the reeeeees if we paid slave owners off? Britain paid so much to slave owners they didn't finish paying off the debt til 2015.

People in America should be celebrating how well we did in regards to ending slavery, not chastizing our ancestors. But i hardly expect the left to even open a history book at this point.
Imagine paying slave owners all the way till 2015.

😳

2013:

“Who’s this check for again?”

“Oh, just those slave owners.”

• LOL
Reactions: mcjmetroid and brap

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I keep coming back to this thread to post something, but can't find words. It just seems so... important. Like, tell your family about this. Tell your family the left is rejecting the American flag.

This can not stand. It really can't. It's infuriating.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: DeepEnigma

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I keep coming back to this thread to post something, but can't find words. It just seems so... important. Like, tell your family about this. Tell your family the left is rejecting the American flag.

That flag was literally the symbol of freedom from imperial rule and had nothing to do with racism or slavery.

But we all know, slippery slopes, give an inch and take a mile.

If that is successful, you know what is next, even more amplified from the seeds that have already been planted.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States

Don't get too worked up about it. My family isn't going to do shit anyway. They'll just not and say that's fucked up and then go back to watching television. Just yesterday they told me Clint Eastwood died. So I Google it. He's still alive, it was just a hoax. I don't blame them, really. They aren't as skeptical as I am about things, so they see something on FB and take it at face value.

Honestly, most of what I post here is for entertainment purposes. Serious discussions about real issues? It's fine, but ultimately a waste of time given that none of us, or very few of us, are in a position to change things. Even if we were, what would we change?

Let them reject the flag. It only helps to serve the interests of the national cause. They do our work for us andchsve for years. Nationalists all over the world have seen great success because of the left. We owe them a debt we can never repay, it's true.

Hesemonni

Feb 27, 2007
Finland
*feigns outrage*

...But on serious note, if assholes like KKK insist on using the symbol in their rrituals, I wonder why it's connected racism? Meanings over time.

Cases in point: Swastika, Pepe the Frog and I guess to some extent OK sign.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi