• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Symphonic Odysseys | Orchestral Nobuo Uematsu concert | July, 9th in Cologne

Prevailer

There was a thread for Symphonic Legends last year, so why not for Symphonic Odysseys this year. Since we know that it will be live streamed, too. This is very good news, at least for me. Thomas Böcker (producer) told us in an interview today, that a live stream is planned. CD release is not known yet.

So heres the interview, but its german... ehh.. we're working on a english skript for those who are interested:
http://jpgames.de/2011/06/jpgames-de-interview-mit-thomas-bocker/

Edit: english interview is online:
http://jpgames.de/2011/06/interview-with-thomas-bocker/

The concert will take place on July, 9. in Cologne, Germany.

Official website:
http://symphonicodysseys.com/

Programm:
Not known yet, but it is featuring music from Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, Last Story etc.

Trivia:
The first performance (8 p.m. local time) was outsold within 12 hours (guess there are some popstarts dreaming of that), so they are schulding a second one at 3 p.m. Nobuo Uematsu will be there and there is a signing with him between the concerts.

Prevailer

Hypertrooper said:
Thinking about to going to the 3pm concert. It's really cheap(11.50€ for me). Nobou is still there, right?

Yes, and there are two signing hours with him, one before each concert:

2 pm to 3 pm and 7 pm to 8 pm!

I was actually just thinking today about how much Symphonic Legends disappointed me. They tried to be so artsy and stuff with the tunes there wasn't so much to enjoy. Just stick to making the themes we know and love as beautiful and moving as possible. I hope this concert does that more than Legends did.

ultron87

Edag Plata said:
I was actually just thinking today about how much Symphonic Legends disappointed me. They tried to be so artsy and stuff with the tunes there wasn't so much to enjoy. Just stick to making the themes we know and love as beautiful and moving as possible. I hope this concert does that more than Legends did.

I forgive that concert everything just because of the encore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5b2u4v9TlQ

Edag Plata said:
They tried to be so artsy and stuff with the tunes there wasn't so much to enjoy. .

Donkey Kong Country. Aquatic Ambience. Masashi Hamauzu.

How can you say this? ;A;

Anyway, very excited. I hope the Final Fantasy suite doesn't troll us with OWA being interrupted by the fucking Chocobo theme again. That was painful.

ultron87 said:
I forgive that concert everything just because of the encore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5b2u4v9TlQ

I did love that encore.

Electivirus said:
Donkey Kong Country. Aquatic Ambience. Masashi Hamauzu.

How can you say this? ;A;

Anyway, very excited. I hope the Final Fantasy suite doesn't troll us with OWA being interrupted by the fucking Chocobo theme again. That was painful.

I did love the DKC Aquatic Ambience theme. Galaxy was also good and Star Fox was good. It's the ones like F-Zero, Metroid, and Zelda where they just went waaaaaay overboard with the abstract parts. I know I'm gonna make a lot of enemies on the Zelda one because I remember how much everyone loved that, but it was just boring to listen to to me. I mean, how often do we get Zelda orchestral arrangements? Besides Hyrule Symphony, almost never, and we got this weird sound poem instead of an epic suite.

It was pretty half and half, which was only a disappointment because in Symphonic Fantasies it was ALL good.

Edag Plata said:

Seriously. Just disappointing all around. It teases you with great, familiar themes, and then it spins into many impertinent arrangement.

Gilgamesh

No CD for Legends yet, huh? Too bad. :/

If they plan on including CT, I sure hope they know which tracks he actually did. :p

Xater

Gilgamesh said:
No CD for Legends yet, huh? Too bad. :/

If they plan on including CT, I sure hope they know which tracks he actually did. :p

And there will not be one because Nintendo is a dick.

I will be there btw. Anyone else coming?

Here's a non-OP OP:

They brought you Symphonic Fantasies – music from SQUARE ENIX and Symphonic Legends – music from Nintendo.
Now they dedicate a concert to the master himself...

1039bpg.png

Symphonic Odysseys – Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu, a Symphonic Game Music Concert dedicated to the works of Nobuo Uematsu.

The event includes orchestral arrangements of music from the Final Fantasy, Chrono, SaGa and Blue Dragon series, as well as several standalone games (see program below), all orchestrated and arranged by Jonne Valtonen, Roger Wanamo and Jani Laaksonen. Tickets have long sold out, but the concert will see live video and audio broadcasts for international viewers and listeners. This post can be copied to other message boards as well so that more fans can tune in.

Here is a countdown to the concert which will take place on July 9 at 8 PM (UTC). The broadcast is reported on some sites to start at 7:45 PM, which is why I set the countdown to that time. Don't panic if it doesn't start until some minutes after 8 PM, there will be a news broadcast first.

Live Video Stream Broadband
Live Video Stream DSL
Live Video Stream 56k / ISDN
Live Video Stream (Flash Player and Additional Links)

Live Audio Stream WDR4 Web Radio

1. Opening Fanfare by Nobuo Uematsu
    • Arranged by Jonne Valtonen
  2. Final Fantasy (Concerto for Piano and Orchestra)
    • Arranged by Roger Wanamo
  3. King's Knight ("A Pretty Day Out")
    • Vocals by Mikko Laine
  4. Chrono Trigger ("Silent Light")
    • Vocals by Mikko Laine
  5. The Final Fantasy Legend and Final Fantasy Legend II ("Main Theme" and "Save the World")
    • Vocals by Mikko Laine
  6. Final Fantasy X ("A Fleeting Dream")
    • Arranged by Roger Wanamo
  7. The Last Story ("Spreading Your Wings")
    • Arranged by Jani Laaksonen
  8. Final Fantasy XIV ("On Windy Meadows")
  9. Blue Dragon ("Waterside")
  10. Lost Odyssey (Suite: "Prologue (Main Theme)" | "A Formidable Enemy Appears!" | "A Sad Tolten" | "Dark Saint" | "Light of Blessing / A Letter" | "Epilogue (Main Theme Reprise)")
    • Vocals by Mikko Laine

Nasreddin

Strife91 said:
I'm so hyped for this!!!
This.

I don't eben like the games Uematsa has worked on, but I love his music. Looking forward to the radio stream.

Edit: The mention of the live stream should be in the thread title.

Dambrosi

Banned
DO want. Didn't even know this was happening, great surprise.

I'll invite a few mates around and make a party out of it! :)

-MB-

Wonder why this one is so much earlier then the previous ones, which happened in september.
Maybe Nintendo has Cologne booked in september for one of the zelda 25th anniversary concerts?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I expect the Final Fantasy X song to be the standout, with Chrono Trigger's section being the second best.

6 hours to go!

It'd be great if people can record this one again. Last year's was great and the mp3s were thrown up within a few hours. Superb stuff.

kadotsu

Banned
-MB- said:
Wonder why this one is so much earlier then the previous ones, which happened in september.
Maybe Nintendo has Cologne booked in september for one of the zelda 25th anniversary concerts?

The only thing I can think of, appart from regular scheduling changes, is that both Legends and Fantasies fell into school free periods. Now it's in the last weeks of school so some theachers will be able to take their classes into a classic concert that might interest the students.

Tizoc

The links to the streams open up in my Windows Media Player (I wanted to check the links and they all did that). Does this happen for anyone else?

Arren

I can't wait for this to begin! I found Legends to be underwhelming and even a bit pretentious at times, but Fantasies was absolutely fabulous.

I'm confident it will be a great performance either way. :)

By the way, last year there was a text chatroom for all GAFfers to comment on the concert together. We all had a good time. Will we do the same for this circumstance?

God dammit! I overslept my personal meeting with Uematsu and the concert. I can't get to Cologne in an hour. I fucking hate myself right now. ARGH WHY GOD WHY!

Phatcorns said:
Isn't it supposed to have started by now? I just remembered and I am looking at the stream but nothing so far
There are two shows today. I guess WDR2 is going to stream the one at 8pm. That would be in 5 hours.

Phatcorns

Hypertrooper said:
There are two shows today. I guess WDR2 is going to stream the one at 8pm. That would be in 5 hours.

Ah, roger that. Well, at least I know the people at the 3pm concert are loving it right now. I can't wait, just less than 5 hours to go!

And we definitely need a mod to change the OP title and update it with Prime Blue's post, no offense to the OP, but it's much more informative and helpful.

speedpop

If it's anything like last year, then nope. The video stream kinda screwed up now and then (I can't remember the specifics) so it's worthwhile to keep both the radio and video links up.

Tizoc

So I should have the radio and video ones runs at the same time? How do I go about that? As I said, it opens in Windows Media Player for me.
Unless I copy the URL and paste it in another media player, that way I have 2 programs running: One the radio, the other the video stream.

speedpop

Tizoc said:
So I should have the radio and video ones runs at the same time? How do I go about that? As I said, it opens in Windows Media Player for me.
Unless I copy the URL and paste it in another media player, that way I have 2 programs running: One the radio, the other the video stream.
The radio link should open up as an entirely new window in your browser. The video stream will be in a media player, or you can copy the URL and paste it into VLC player or something akin to that. Prime Blue also pasted a flash-based URL for the video stream too.

Tizoc

@Speedpop- THanks mate will try that once the Stream starts =)

elementman said:
Will the stream be region restricted this year as well?
Oh man I hope this isn't true, would really love to watch this.

p11Wg.gif

Haven't missed a single Symphonic Whatever videostream since the second one.

This will be glorious. Or at least better than the last one, which was sadly dissapointing, due to stupid arrangements of awesome Nintendo music.

But this one has Uematsu in it! Lots of it! Also Lost Odyssey, which has an enourmously awesome soundtrack.

My body is ready!

speedpop

elementman said:
Will the stream be region restricted this year as well?
That's right! Was wracking my brains trying to work out what the problem was last year. I imagine that was a major goof effort because they had stated that the stream was available internationally on the website. We'll see what's the go.

speedpop

Yeah, the radio link was the only way for others to listen to it last year. So at the very least we'll be able to hear it, but being able to visualize the orchestra playing is always great.

WillyFive

It was fantastic seeing Symphonic Fantasies live, but it was a total pain to see Symphonic Legends. Hopefully the live feed will work better with this one.

If not, then I'd rather wait until it's uploaded.

Top Bottom