• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syrenne McNulty, Switch Dev, gives wrong details on NS, Joycon, VC and more

Banned
Also, the controllers do need to be calibrated but it's much quicker than the Wii remote plus was.

Guys keep in mind her VC stuff is a theory and not backed up in anyway. And she already said she was wrong about analog due to being up late local time to be on the podcast right after the presentation.

Also, her thoughts on the motion being on par with VR motion is her opinion.

You could Interprete Reggie's comments to fit a PS+ model

'Lose access to it after a month' could mean 'you can't download it anymore because the next months games are up' but if you already downloaded it, it's yours to keep

c8aa727129293257effba046e8e246a5.gif

tebunker

Banned
Thanks for the summary!

Isn't this first part contrary to what's been reported elsewhere? I thought you need to buy it if you want to play it after the month it's offered.

And to the second part, does this mean the VC game offered in a month will only have online for that month and thereafter the online functionality of it will be turned off?

Yes what she said is contrary to what Nintendo themselves have stated. Chris Kohler had the interview and he is very reiable and it came right outta Reg's mouth.

Okay, so how could this be used in a video game beyond novelty value?

You mean like rumble in general? I can think of, like, two instances where rumble was actually fundamental for a game's design. And yet, it's still a very nice feature to have in a controller and I like that Nintendo, MS , and other companies are working to make it better.

flkraven

When the Xbox One controller was being developed, they spent tons of money making a great controller. Included in that was a unique rumble system that rumbled in the triggers in addition to the rest of the controller. It's pretty cool but no one outside of the Forza hardcore players even talk about this feature.

Point is, that is what HD rumble will be. 'You can feel every single icecube in a glass' will turn into no one really talking about it in a years time except for Nintendo's most rabid fans.

killroy87

Didn't Reggie straight up confirm the free game is a rental?

If that's true, i don't know how I can take anything this person says as true.

I hope analog triggers is true, but who the hell knows. I want GC VC so bad.

Banned

My interpretation is the game is free for a month and then it costs money after a month.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Reggie just repeats PR stuff statements at the end of the day...the statement was quite vague.

Hopefully the PS+ talk about keeping your games even after the month it releases as long as you stayed subscribed is true. Because the official wording thus far states the opposite.

Reggie just repeat PR stuff statements at the end...the statement was quite vague.

what is vague about "you lose access after a month and then have an option to buy it"?

A lot of straight up denial going on about this and the online/phone stuff. Get real, people. Look at what Nintendo has already said on these subjects honestly and objectively and Nintendo's intentions here are pretty clear. You are only setting yourselves up for disappointment.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
-the free game a month is exactly like PS+. As long as you download within that free month it's yours to keep as long as you're subscribed.

This is totally against what Nintendo said and Reggie reiterated in one of the interviews.

What's with this misinformation?

And I thought the Pro Controller's triggers are also digital? WTF?

what is vague about "you lose access after a month and then have an option to buy it"?

Exactly.

A lot of guesses and she already had to correct herself on the trigger.

I don't know how she knows the BOM of the Wii U, but the gamepad costing that much makes sense. No one makes resistive touchscreens anymore so they probably were never able to bring the cost own of that. I figured a part of why they were so quick to dump the Wii U was because they couldn't drive the price down with how badly it was selling.

ByWatterson

A subscription is definitely worth the price to build a huge back-catalog of classic Nintendo titles. Cautiously optimistic there.

A subscription is definitely worth the price to build a huge back-catalog of classic Nintendo titles. Cautiously optimistic there.

It would be if you got access to more than one a month. Or hell, if they included GC or N64 games instead it might be worth it.

Lol...

Nintendo has cash in their eyes.

-Gives you a free game for that month with online play somehow if you're subbed

-You have fun with that game and enjoy playing it

-month ends and they take back their game.

-you want to keep playing the game online so you now buy the game after the month ends but also have to shell out the sub fee to play the part of the game you enjoyed

-meanwhile at Nintendo... FOR THE LOVE OF $$$! gotta make that money man.

If what she says is true then not only would people who are subbed get a free game as long as you remain subbed but some form of online play. That would be insane if they continued to support online play after the month is over.

azyless

I don't know if I can take anything she says seriously after the whole rental thing has been confirmed by Reggie. Still wouldn't have any interest in it if it wasn't though.

A lot of straight up denial going on about this and the online/phone stuff. Get real, people. Look at what Nintendo has already said on these subjects honestly and objectively and Nintendo's intentions here are pretty clear. You are only setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I honestly haven't seen the direct comments from Reggie or NOA. Do you have a link to a source?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not even that bothered about the free game - I'm more annoyed by the online fee generally.

Do we have any research about how many people have a Nintendo as their only console? I'd expect most would be secondary consoles in a home with a PlayStation or Xbox? If so then - as much as they want to charge for online - I just don't see how they can justify it, and I would be worried that it will get poor uptake and that impacts online active users in games. As good as splatoon was, you need a critical mass of users to play against.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
So do we trust two verified sources that say the VC thing is a one month rental or do we trust some random developer on some random podcast? Hmmmmmmmm I wonder

Belker

Even in theory, would it be at all possible to use the gyroscopes in the joycons to simulate analog triggers? Tip forward to pull them for example. I don't think how this would work for the controllers in the pad-dock, unless it was a tilting torsional movement.

I agree with others that based on her comments the Reggie quote could mean we have a month to download and play or a month to download.

sonto340

When Nintendo confirmed the free VC game per month was only allowed that month, I'm taking this post with a grain of salt.
Their wording was strange, but there's been no solid confirmation one way or the other. It could have been a translation issue or a presenter not know the specifics. Until we have confirmation one way or the other there's not much point to acting like anyone is 100% right.
It won't stoop the people gloating as soon as confirmation comes out, but still

Their wording was strange, but there's been no solid confirmation one way or the other. It could have been a translation issue or a presenter not know the specifics. Until we have confirmation one way or the other there's not much point to acting like anyone is 100% right.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

That's confirmed. Unless Reggie was talking to Chris Kohler using a translator, I guess.

The Jutty

Hopefully the PS+ talk about keeping your games even after the month it releases as long as you stayed subscribed is true. Because the official wording thus far states the opposite.

I feel like they would have mentioned it if it were that way. Why would they not? MS and Sony couldn't wait to tell us that they were ours to keep for the duration of our subscription. Usually if you are being vague it's because it's not a positive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Nintendo's online service for Switch will charge a monthly fee and one of the incentives is one free classic game ”per month." Does that mean you lose access to that game after a month?

Reggie Fils-Aime: Correct. It means that essentially you've got access to that game for a period of time, and then after the month there's a new selection. You'll have the opportunity to buy it, but [after] that month we've moved on to another game.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I think maybe this thread should get locked? Seems like she doesn't actually provide any new information that isn't just speculation. Not really what we need right now since clear direct answers on some of these things are still missing and rather than confusing the message with misinformation, we should be striving to fill things in with official confirmation one way or the other.

I do believe that Nintendo does not yet know how the online service is going to pan out. I think details are still being finalized, which honestly doesn't bode well for the service. We'll have to see I guess, but we shouldn't really have too much faith in them in this regard.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think maybe this thread should get locked? Seems like she doesn't actually provide any new information that isn't just speculation. Not really what we need right now since clear direct answers on some of these things are still missing and rather than confusing the message with misinformation, we should be striving to fill things in with official confirmation one way or the other.

Really, it's enough misinformation or lack of information that we get from Nintendo to get even more on top.

For an official spokesperson Reggie seems to really have problems clearly communicating Nintendo's policies. It's so typical now to have to parse his statements like you're decrypting intercepted spy transmissions.

I'm not sure what is hard to parse? He is asked, directly, do you lose access to the game and his response is "Correct". It's not so much that he has trouble communicating, it's that he is often asked to put lipstick on a pig and try and spin some backwards ass NoJ policies into some kind of a positive, see also the whole "Who wants to carry bulky headphones in their bag" thing regarding the online voice chat app.

Top Bottom