• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syrenne McNulty, Switch Dev, gives wrong details on NS, Joycon, VC and more

Nerazar

But why would they be so bad at PR that they could make something that is a positive, which is that you can keep your NES/SNES forever or at least until you subscription expires, into something that's bad and never issue a PR statement to correct it? If you could keep those titles forever then surely they would've reached out to Wired, IGN, Gamespot etc. to tell them that. But it's been days since the Switch reveal and they haven't said anything. And all their public statements all point toward it literally only being accessible for the month that it was released.

I know Nintendo can be bad at PR sometimes, but I really can't see how they'd allow this story to continue if this were simply an issue of a misinterpretation. All it'd take is an update to their website or a simple PR statement.

Well, you gave yourself the answer. My guess is that it is just a direct translation of something Kimishima said and every exec / spokesperson just follows through with that, knowing that they will disclose everything on that Switch Online Direct. It is very weird, but still possible. It is the same company which shadow-launched games and tells people two weeks or so before a reveal that there is no new product.

But I have an idea: let's look at the Japanese side of things.If there is a breakdown in communication, it all starts there.

There was no mention of it during the presentation itself, so that didn't help. But there is still the website:

懐かしのソフトを月替わりで遊べる

発売当時にはなかったオンラインプレイにも対応させた、ファミコンやスーパーファミコンなどのソフトを、月替わりで1ヵ月制限なく遊ぶことができます。

You can play nostalgic software on a monthly basis

NES and SNES games get an online mode (which they didn't have at the time of their release) and you can play NES or SNES games without (any) limitation (on a monthly basis / the game(s) are changing each month) for one month.

So there's that. Interestingly, the amount of software is not mentioned in the Japanese text: it may be one, two or whatever number Nintendo puts out into the rotation.

So this translation makes my estimation go down for a bit regarding the second possible reading. However if the rotation offers more than one game and if there is a discount on the rotated software, the offer would be a little bit better than anticipated.

Still, Nintendo has a lot of work to do clarifying the message. I wonder what this "access" thing is all about. Why not just use "play" like in the Japanese version which does not even mention "download" at all?

Rncewind

The tweet:

Confirmed by NOA: Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month [on the eShop? in the rotation? in the library?]. More deets on Virtual Console before launch.

No Play. Play. Play. here.

The second one still holds up. The wording is still ambiguous. Why are you so invested in this by the way? :) Instead of chilling out and waiting, you guys try to gangtroll me. I don't care that much, it may be version A or version B, I've made up my mind about online paywalls in general.

But if this thing is cleared up, I hope you guys do L M A O or FFS yourselves. :D

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Are you Nadia Comăneci

lol im dying

Check out Syrenne McNulty (@Sycoraxic98):

-Motion tech is on par with Oculus Touch and Vive controllers. Very accurate. Way better than Wii motion plus and PS Move controllers.

I just listened to this portion of the podcast.

"the motion sensitivity is more akin to a Vive wand or Oculus Touch controller than PS move or Wii Motion Plus or anything like that."

Speaking as somebody that's excited and already plunked down a lot of money for Switch preorder stuff, I am EXTREMELY skeptical of this and from what little we know, just doesn't seem accurate. This accuracy simply can't be done without Lighthouse/camera sensor, which basically provides 1:1 in space recognition with complete rotation and so forth.I do think the HD rumble thing is definitely new and a gamechanger, and though I haven't tried it, is probably superior to the rumble features on the other VR controllers, but that's not talking about motion sensitivity. Considering that Oculus touch cost 199 dollars to get running in addition to the 599 for the HMD, I can't see a system 300 dollar system and even 80 dollar controllers coming close to the tech of the VR systems.

I like Syrenne okay on her guest spots on RFN (with some reservations) but I just believe her. I would have to see something with the same sensitivity as SuperHot VR or even Medium running on the Switch to really believe it.

Lynd7

I find it hard to believe that smaller devs would be privy to info regarding VC, GamePad costs etc. It doesn't make sense Nintendo would outline such things to smaller developers.

shandy706

Too bad about triggers not being analog but everything else is exciting. Looking forward to feel dat HD rumble.

No analogue triggers again....what....argh! Why are you so stupid sometimes Nintendo?!!

Sucks

The Xbox One controllers have the multi rumble setup with the bottom and tops (triggers) on each side...it's a cool feature. So that is a plus.

Belker

OK. Taking it as read that we'll be able to play the game for free only for that month, what is Nintendo's reasoning behind this?

If I'm told I've only got a month to play something and I can play it with friends online, I'll encourage them to play with me. Older games are shorter than newer ones, so that gives me a better chance to finish it in that time.

Aren't they increasing the chance I'll want to play the game, making it more likely I'll finish and less likely I'll be bothered about the lack of a PS+ 'always available' library? With Plus the games pile up, so my sub is more about keeping access to potential experiences.

I'm finding it hard to see Nintendo's angle here. Scarcity makes the titles more valuable? Focusing on limited titles means we'll engage more?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yep, he should probably be burned at the stake for not spending 20 hours researching the quotes from a certified developer before posting on a forum.
He probably should have a had a peer group review as well.

We had indie devs before trying to take advantage of attention that Switch/NX is getting and throwing in public statements that had no backing. From "due to NX secret something my game will be able to control so much better than on PC. BTW, I just launched my game on PC, have a look" to "Here's a UE4 made trailer, we work on this since forever for Switch although we don't have neither a Switch devkit nor access to SDK".

Certified dev for Wii U doesn't equal certified dev for Switch and a lot of people are still struggling to get a Switch devkit.

So most likely she doesn't have a devkit and thus no access to such detailed info expect from hearsay.

A bit of due diligence when making a thread is wise.

We had indie devs before trying to take advantage of attention that Switch/NX is getting and throwing in public statements that had no backing. From "due to NX secret something my game will be able to control so much better than on PC. BTW, I just launched my game on PC, have a look" to "Here's a UE4 made trailer, we work on this since forever for Switch although we don't have neither a Switch devkit nor access to SDK".

Certified dev for Wii U doesn't equal certified dev for Switch and a lot of people are still struggling to get a Switch devkit.

So most likely she doesn't have a devkit and thus no access to such detailed info expect from hearsay.

A bit of due diligence when making a thread is wise.
not related to this thread but this is BS. Why cant Nintendo supply enough Devkits when some devs want to develop for it? Its not like they are swimming in third party support at this point,.

nynt9

OK. Taking it as read that we'll be able to play the game for free only for that month, what is Nintendo's reasoning behind this?

If I'm told I've only got a month to play something and I can play it with friends online, I'll encourage them to play with me. Older games are shorter than newer ones, so that gives me a better chance to finish it in that time.

Aren't they increasing the chance I'll want to play the game, making it more likely I'll finish and less likely I'll be bothered about the lack of a PS+ 'always available' library? With Plus the games pile up, so my sub is more about keeping access to potential experiences.

I'm finding it hard to see Nintendo's angle here. Scarcity makes the titles more valuable? Focusing on limited titles means we'll engage more?

I think the angle is simply "Why give away games for *free* (with a sub) when we know people would pay for them?" You can add whatever variety of window dressing you want to that, but that's what it really boils down to.

The kicker is, I can't recall the last time Nintendo backed down on any sort of decision they made. They always either just carry on or double down. So I don't see this changing. Even many of the decisions made with the Switch feel like them trying to prove that they were right with the Wii and the WiiU.

Tripolygon

Banned
I do think the HD rumble thing is definitely new and a gamechanger, and though I haven't tried it, is probably superior to the rumble features on the other VR controllers, but that's not talking about motion sensitivity.
It's not, its the same type of haptics feedback that is used in Steam Controller, Vive and Oculus.

Gestault

It's not, its the same type of haptics feedback that is used in Steam Controller, Vive and Oculus.

I seriously doubt this. Having had plenty of hours with the Steam Controller, I've never seen rumble feedback approaching what they're describing in the presentations. This isn't even the same style as the independent rumble triggers in the XB1 controller.

Tripolygon

Banned
From the descriptions so far, that doesn't seem to be true
I seriously doubt this. Having had plenty of hours with the Steam Controller, I've never seen rumble feedback approaching what they're describing in the presentations. This isn't even the same style as the independent rumble triggers in the XB1 controller.
That is where software comes in. The underlying tech is similar, what developers do with it is what sets them apart. In this regard Nintendo is using software by immersion which as we all know have successfully sued Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft before for using rumble in their controllers.

Damn, OP got banned for this thread? Thats rough. I just listened to the podcast and while she did say it, I think she should have made it more clear that much of what she said was just speculation. Probably would have helped cut down on the confusion and drama in this thread. It would also be helpful if Nintendo would just learn how to explain the features of their system in a more coherent manner.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Damn, OP got banned for this thread? Thats rough. I just listened to the podcast and while she did say it, I think she should have made it more clear that much of what she said was just speculation. Probably would have helped cut down on the confusion and drama in this thread. It would also be helpful if Nintendo would just learn how to explain the features of their system in a more coherent manner.
The mods take into account past behavior when they get ready to serve up bancakes. 10k was a repeat offender.

Dystify

No, he got banned for 2 weeks for a backseat modding comment in another topic.

No he was banned for backseat modding.

EDIT: Lol beaten.

I think the angle is simply "Why give away games for *free* (with a sub) when we know people would pay for them?" You can add whatever variety of window dressing you want to that, but that's what it really boils down to.

The kicker is, I can't recall the last time Nintendo backed down on any sort of decision they made. They always either just carry on or double down. So I don't see this changing. Even many of the decisions made with the Switch feel like them trying to prove that they were right with the Wii and the WiiU.
Well they backed down on region-locking after trying it for 3DS. That's one example off the top of my head, but I get your point.

Top Bottom