• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syria: Hundreds Killed In Chemical Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in time for the U.N. Chemical-Weapons Experts.
(Reuters) - Syrian activists accused President Bashar al-Assad's forces of launching a nerve gas attack that killed at least 213 people on Wednesday, in what would, if confirmed, be by far the worst reported use of poison gas in the two-year-old civil war.

Reuters was not able to verify the accounts independently and they were denied by Syrian state television, which said they were disseminated deliberately to distract a team of United Nations chemical weapons experts which arrived three days ago.

The U.N. team is in Syria investigating allegations that both rebels and army forces used poison gas in the past, one of the main disputes in international diplomacy over Syria.

Activists said rockets with chemical agents hit the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar before dawn.

A nurse at Douma Emergency Collection facility, Bayan Baker, said the death toll, as collated from medical centers in the suburbs east of Damascus, was 213.

"Many of the casualties are women and children. They arrived with their pupil dilated, cold limbs and foam in their mouths. The doctors say these are typical symptoms of nerve gas victims," the nurse said.

Extensive amateur video and photographs purporting to show victims appeared on the Internet. A video purportedly shot in the Kafr Batna neighborhood showed a room filled with more than 90 bodies, many of them children and a few women and elderly men. Most of the bodies appeared ashen or pale but with no visible injuries. About a dozen were wrapped in blankets.

Other footage showed doctors treating people in makeshift clinics. One video showed the bodies of a dozen people lying on the floor of a clinic, with no visible wounds. The narrator in the video said they were all members of a single family. In a corridor outside lay another five bodies.

A photograph taken by activists in Douma showed the bodies of at least 16 children and three adults, one wearing combat fatigues, laid at the floor of a room in a medical facility where bodies were collected.

Syrian state television quoted a source as saying there was "no truth whatsoever" to the reports.

Syria is one of just a handful of countries that are not parties to the international treaty that bans chemical weapons, and Western nations believe it has caches of undeclared mustard gas, sarin and VX nerve agents.

Assad's officials have said they would never use poison gas - if they had it - against Syrians. The United States and European allies believe Assad's forces used small amounts of sarin gas in attacks in the past, which Washington called a "red line" that justified international military aid for the rebels.

Assad's government has responded in the past with accusations that it was the rebels that used chemical weapons, which the rebels deny. Western countries say they do not believe the rebels have access to poison gas. Assad's main global ally Moscow says accusations on both sides must be investigated.

Khaled Omar of the opposition Local Council in Ain Tarma said he saw at least 80 bodies at the Hajjah Hospital in Ain Tarma and at a makeshift clinic at Tatbiqiya School in the nearby district of Saqba.

"The attack took place at around 3:00 a.m. (0000 GMT / 8:00 p.m. Tuesday EDT). Most of those killed were in their homes," Omar said.
Videos of casualties (GRAPHIC):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddpt3l_5TKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6B8wq1VXN0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMCXnJcF3Fs

Mii

Banned
Assad wins this war without chemical weapons, why should he use them?

Could be something as simple as bad management of his own generals and poor control of their own stockpile. I can't imagine Assad himself would be that stupid.

So Assad used chemical weapons a day before UN inspectors arrive...

It is just so hard for me to believe that people can think that they are so stupid in using them, especially when they are winning the war.

liger05

Assad, who's on the edge of winning a war, suddenly decides to engage in chemical warfare. How logical.

His on the edge of winning the war. Since when?

While the world seems to be worries about an alawite massacre or christian massacre in Syria (neither has happened) the Sunni Muslims are the ones being massacred like this either from Assad and hezbollah shelling in Homs and alleppo or via chemical weapons like this.

LastEmperor

Neo Member
Assad, who's on the edge of winning a war, suddenly decides to engage in chemical warfare. How logical.

He's far from winning the war. The rebels had made recent advances in Ghouta (the location of the chem attack), in Aleppo, Daraa, and Deir ez-Zor. The only place where the SAA have made advances are localized in Homs province and eastern Latakia. It's still pretty much a stalemate.

And if the rebels had stockpiles of chemical weapons and the means to distribute them over a wide area, then the war would have been over months ago. Ghouta is only a few miles away from the very center of Damascus. Launching the attack in the other direction would have crippled the economic, political, and military center of Syria.

You can't have the rebels losing the war, and then in the same sentence claim they have the capability of launching highly effective chemical weapon attacks. You can't have it both ways.

Madness

So Assad used chemical weapons a day before UN inspectors arrive...

It is just so hard for me to believe that people can think that they are so stupid in using them, especially when they are winning the war.

Perfect time for US/EU to say red line has been crossed and intervene? Let's be honest, Russia is not going to risk going against the US for Syria. Just like they didn't for Iraq, Libya, etc.

That said, I agree. Assad would be foolish to do this. Especially when he is currently winning and the rebels are getting desperate. They're not exactly the model citizen you know.

LastEmperor

Neo Member
Can anyone explain why someone would do this?
and will they get away with it?

If the SAA is responsible, then it's to reverse recent rebel gains in the Ghouta suburb. People who claim the rebels are responsible would say it's a false flag operation as they want Western intervention in Syria.

As to what will happen? Absolutely nothing. The West didn't move for the last 100,000 civilian deaths in the country, why would they care if a few hundred more die? And the Syrian rebels, especially the radical Islamic factions, certainly don't want the West to go back into the region so soon. Maybe there might be a few more weapons and other equipment sent to the rebels, but that's the most.

liger05

This is why there can be no compromise. Assad must go. The idea that there should be some sort of reconciliation with a tyrant who will gas his own people is ridiculous.

the last video shows clearly a kid dying from nerve gas poisoning.
it's pretty hard to watch.

makes me wonder if this was assad or an attack gone wrong by rebels

Aren't UN chemical inspectors there in Syria? Kinda extremely stupid of Bashar to use a chemical weapon while those people are there

His on the edge of winning the war. Since when?

While the world seems to be worries about an alawite massacre or christian massacre in Syria (neither has happened) the Sunni Muslims are the ones being massacred like this either from Assad and hezbollah shelling in Homs and alleppo or via chemical weapons like this.

Here we go, for fuck's sake can we not go sectarian in these threads...syrians of all strides are dying in civil war for one side or another..it's loss of precious human life before sunni or alawite loss

Flo

Those poor children. What kind of person decides to do this kind of stuff, I just can't imagine. Last video was horrible, I feel sick :(

Do NOT watch the videos. Completely horrible.

And as always people claiming false flag attacks. Just because the SAA has had gains in the past months with the help of Iran and Hezbollah in some areas does not mean that the war is lost. That's not how war works.

As people have said it's more of a stalemate with the Rebels being pushed back in some areas but pushing forward in others and vice versa.

EDIT: The evidence looks strong for the attack but I found an question on Reddit that is interesting no matter what part you support (This is most likely from a Assad supporter as he has a little Syrian flag next to his username):
My question pertains to the logicality of using chemical weapons on a small scale? If such actions regardless of the scale of their use, are going to invoke international condemnation and further support foreign desires for a military intervention, then why wouldn't Bashar Assad use them on a greater and more strategically effective scale? Such as within a scud missile aimed at a larger rebel convoy? It just doesn't make sense for him to use them on such a minor scale if he knows that such any use of chemical weapons would cross "the red line" of foreign leaders like Obama.
I think just seems awfully convenient that the day after UN chemical weapons inspectors arrive in Syria, there is all of a sudden an alleged chemical weapon attack by the regime on civilians? Like for a man who has proven his intelligence time and time again by successfully defended himself for pretty well 3 years from a massive insurgency backed by a multitude of external powers, its seems completely illogical for him all of a sudden start using chemical weapons the day after UN inspectors arrive. Your thoughts?

I have a little theory. Sectarianism. Maybe it has reached a boiling point that some Alawite Generals has seen it as a nescessity to find more fast ways to exterminate people.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: The evidence looks strong for the attack but I found an question on Reddit that is interesting no matter what part you support (This is most likely from a Assad supporter as he has a little Syrian flag next to his username):

I have a little theory. Sectarianism. Maybe it has reached a boiling point that some Alawite Generals has seen it as a nescessity to find more fast ways to exterminate people.

Other reported chemical attacks in the past have been on a limited small scale basis. The people who defend this butcher truly disgust me.

So many children, all of them wearing pajamas, attacked during their sleep :(
The world are playing double standards with Egypt and Syria, in Egypt their warning to pull support away from the Egyptian army although they haven't used brute force as AL Assad did, while in Syria it's just harmless condemnation.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
No fly zone and tactical bombing in 3, 2, 1....

Nah. Obama will just put down another line that shouldn't be crossed and pray the Syrian government doesn't actually do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom