• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition by Nightdive Studios confirmed.

Mista

Banned
About

“Remember, it is my will that guided you here. It is my will that gave you your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call a body. If you value that meat… you will do as I tell you.”
The cult classic sci-fi horror FPS-RPG has returned.
You awake from the cold chill of your cryo-tube to discover cybernetic implants grafted to your flesh and the crew of the starship Von Braun slaughtered. The infected roam the halls, their screams and moans beckoning you to join them as the rogue artificial intelligence known as SHODAN taunts and ridicules your feeble attempt to unravel the horrifying mystery of the derelict starship Von Braun.

Your Training Has Prepared You For This.
  • Choose from three specialized branches of the military to utilize unique skills, weaponry, and paranormal psionic powers.
  • Upgrade and enhance your skills to improve hacking, weapon proficiency, and psionic abilities.
  • Discover cryptic audio logs, encounter ghostly apparitions and conduct research to give you the advantage in combat and unlock exotic weapons and items.
  • Play with up to three friends in multiplayer co-op (co-op works in Windows only)
System Shock 2 is a genre defining experience that established innovative game-play mechanics that are a staple of the FPS and RPG genre today. It has gone on to inspire some of the greatest titles of our generation with games including Deus Ex and Bioshock
Discover how a haunting story, innovative game-play and a terrifying atmosphere has made System Shock 2 one of the greatest games of all time.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Cool but shouldnt they be working on the remake? Whats going on with that one? Is it dead?
My guess is this is still in the early stages of production, but the founder (Steven Kick) has always wanted to tackle the task of resolving all the licensing issues with System Shock 2 and releasing it on a modern platform. So it's big news not just for SS2 fans, but for Nightdive Studios itself.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No details

source.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would love to see this come to mobile. Seeing how Apple is gearing up for their GaaS. I own SS2 box and 2 digital formats. Installed the Rebirth mod years ago too. I'd love a on-the-go version of this game.

Last edited:

Shotpun

System Shock 2 is one of my all time favorite games so naturally I'll keep my eye on this, but since Nightdive doesn't make full remasters I'm not sure will this be all that much or any better than a modded original already is. Of course there are lots of people who would prefer an easy all in one install without any need for tinkering, but if they want my money they are going to need to offer enemy models that are way better than what rebirth mod has and improved animations. Faithful remixed soundtrack would be nice too, I love the soundtrack.

I don't see what they can possibly add that mods don't already do. If you install the new Dark engine with widescreen and high-res support, texture/model packs and bugfixes it's a sublime experience. All the info can be found here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

It's a neat engine, and the standard engine used for the Dark Engine titles. Configuring the game (outside of the in-game options) is not very user-friendly though, with a long laundry list of tweaks. Don't know how the Steam versions fare, but the GOG (NDE) releases contain a lot of garbage and leftover files; they are not the cleanest releases I've seen to put it mildly. Plus, my guess is that they want to add extra features not possible due to the current engine's limitations. Also: flexibility and API compatibility for potential cross-platform releases.

Bet that it will be very much possible to create a Thief total conversion.

Last edited:
Cool but shouldnt they be working on the remake? Whats going on with that one? Is it dead?
They've been putting out KS updates every month like clockwork regarding progression on the remake of the original. At the moment it seems on track for an end-of-gen release. Which means it could see a port to PS5 and Scarlet down the line in addition to an "evergreen" PC release.

Last edited:
But the original game with a couple of mods is good enough already! I wonder how NightDive can make it better... maybe real-time lighting, physics, SSR and this kind of stuff?

Apart from weapons frequently breaking and the insane difficulty of the last couple levels, System Shock 2 was a great game. I hesitate to call it a masterpiece but it did have great atmosphere and the proto-reality stuff was pretty intriguing.

Last edited:

mango drank

But the original game with a couple of mods is good enough already!

It's ancient. Even with mods, it looks super dated. I'm not saying it doesn't have its charms, or that old games are unplayable because they look so old etc (I love the look of late 90s 3D PC games, they're so quaint). But there have been so many improvements in graphics over the past 20 years, the difference between the original and the eventual remake would be insane.

V4skunk

Banned
I never actually got around to playing SS2, so.... guess I'll wait. That's cool.
You should play it now, there are plenty of mods that updated the game to a more modern standard.
Much better game than Bioshock as well. I also recommend Stalker Call of Pripyat and Deus Ex 1.

Last edited:

bati

It's ancient. Even with mods, it looks super dated. I'm not saying it doesn't have its charms, or that old games are unplayable because they look so old etc (I love the look of late 90s 3D PC games, they're so quaint). But there have been so many improvements in graphics over the past 20 years, the difference between the original and the eventual remake would be insane.

It looks fine - album. Very fine, indeed. Can't beat that clean geometric look - modern artists could learn a thing or two here, there's no visual clutter and the points of interests in any given room/level immediately pop up, without having to rely on crutches like "press X to highlight interactable objects".

Also, I don't know what you're expecting from SS2EE but it's not going to be a remake. At best it will look like modded SS2 with possibly some updates to 3d models (npcs/AI). That's why we are saying that you can have this kind of experience RIGHT NOW, instead of waiting a few months or years.

Last edited:

mango drank

Also, I don't know what you're expecting from SS2EE but it's not going to be a remake. At best it will look like modded SS2 with possibly some updates to 3d models (npcs/AI).

ah hell, I misunderstood it as being a full remake, like they're doing w/ SS1.

Crap, I should've bought SS2 on sale for $1.50 on GOG a few days back.

bati

ah hell, I misunderstood it as being a full remake, like they're doing w/ SS1.

Crap, I should've bought SS2 on sale for $1.50 on GOG a few days back.

I think Fanatical is having some bundle sale with SS2 right now. It's a steam key afaik.

nkarafo

The only thing that worries me is performance. Both Turok and Turok 2 remasters are awful when it comes to smooth, consistent frame rate. Both games are filled with frame time/frame pacing issues and random stutters. Usually, these issues can be fixed with a combination of v-sync options and RTSS frame rate locks. But not with these remasters.

WindomURL

Now this is exciting. Running through those corridors with that driving jungle bgm in my headphones is a beloved game memory. Game is still intense (fucking monkeys), and I bet they can make it even more so with some fancy new schoolification.

mango drank

This news might've gotten lost in the shuffle of the recent System Shock (1) remake updates, but SS2: Enhanced Edition is planned to release alongside SS Remake sometime in late summer this year. So we've finally got a tentative release date. They also said the SS2:EE VR mode probably won't be ready at the same time, but will arrive later.

I'm glad they're not pushing back the release just for VR (and I say that as a VR fan).

Top Bottom